• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Tacitus_

So I'm testing how exploitable the combat is. In some rooms, you can trigger spawn points and then retreat into the former hallway to pick the bad guys off. They can't reach outside a certain patrollable area. But then if you go too far, they literally reset. So I had two guys drop from vents (OMG SURPRISE). I stepped through a doorway...and they actually went back up into the vents.

AFAIK they can climb out of the vents inside the room you went to, if you hang around there long enough.

pa22word

EatChildren said:
Like, combat in Dead Space isn't bad. It's satisfying to explode heads and slice limbs. But all of this is relative to the usual slower pacing and intensity of each each encounter. Isaac isn't twitchy or athletic, because Dead Space isn't Gears.

Disregarding the rest of your post here (as I largely agree with you), but I can't see how you would think Gears is a faster shooter than the Dead Space games.

Gears is one of the slowest shooters on the market, and imo, one of the most boring. There's only so long I can sit behind cover and watch the jelly screen tell me when I can come back out to play before my eyes glaze right the fuck over.

Dead Space 3 is like Max Payne 1 without bullet time in comparison to Gears of War.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Disregarding the rest of your post here (as I largely agree with you), but I can't see how you would think Gears is a faster shooter than the Dead Space games.

Gears is one of the slowest shooters on the market, and imo, one of the most boring. There's only so long I can sit behind cover and watch the jelly screen tell me when I can come back out to play before my eyes glaze right the fuck over.

Dead Space 3 is like Max Payne 1 without bullet time in comparison to Gears of War.

I actually don't like Gears :lol. I guess I meant more in terms of mobility, feedback of weaponry, feel of encounters, and so on. Slow as it is, Marcus is a mobile character, and running around environments, hopping over cover, and doing all sorts of rolls and melee attacks is effortless. Isaac isn't. Dead Space 3 still has a lot of the slow, methodical (and I mean this in a good way) combat feel of the first game, only the enemies are rushing you at a hundred miles an hour.

That's where I feel there's a clash of mechanics. Maybe the designers felt the fast, aggressive enemy encounters against Isaac would make for very intense combat. To me it doesn't, and instead highlights the flaws in Dead Space's combat. Flaws might even be the wrong word. Nuances, maybe, and how they don't work well with certain types of encounter and enemy design.

Shooting shit and engaging with the enemy works amazingly in all three Dead Space games when the design feels comfortable and balanced. Dead Space 3 combat feels like Dead Space trying to be something it isn't, and in many ways cant be.

I just finished Dead Space 3's Impossible difficulty, and I have to say that I'm just the tiniest bit underwhelmed. There was only one part that really lived up to the name (the final encounter of chapter 15); the rest seemed a lot more doable than DS2's Impossible, or even its Hard.

But I still had a lot of fun and have gotten my money's worth out of it. You might still see a review from me depending on the scheduling of one of my co-writers.

pa22word

Okay, I can see what you're saying now, but really about the only time I ever felt the game(s) are overreaching in terms of base mechanics vs expected player execution is when the game pulls the Doom 3 style "spawn enemies behind you" bullshit. In Dead Space 2 it was annoying, but here they just use it as a crutch to support nearly every encounter because they can't seem to figure out how to properly balance the game's difficulty. It's been a problem they've had since Dead Space 1 (once you get the PC to lvl 3-ish damage the game basically assumes the position and lets isaac have his way with it), and one they've never really been able to overcome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapter 15 has made my opinion of the game go from "good but misguided" to crap. Ugh. I am going to put the disk in the garbage.

Moff

but the enemies in dead space 1 run at you, too. I just reinstalled it and literally the first enemy you can fight does it. I just dont see that much change in the mechanics as many do here. the only big difference to dead space 1 is that isaac moves much much slower, but its pretty much the same in dead space 2 and 3.

and btw. I should not have reinstalled dead space 1. I knew the reputation of this game was so high because it was new, fresh and a surprise hit, unexpected for many. but damn, that game is not half as good as I remember it. although agree, that dead space 3 is not as good as 1 in some areas, but you gotta give it credit that its better in others.

Nemesis_

Shooting shit and engaging with the enemy works amazingly in all three Dead Space games when the design feels comfortable and balanced. Dead Space 3 combat feels like Dead Space trying to be something it isn't, and in many ways cant be.

To me, the combat is the same as previous games bar guns, of course.

The roll and cover mechanics are pointless for me - I got through my entire first playthrough without using them at all. :/ I feel like they've been added in to appeal to the Gears crowd, who might play like this, but the combat itself isn't fine tuned enough to actually use them properly.

Heck, the dodge doesn't even have any invisibility frames which to me is a very poor implementation. What the fuck is the point?

A good example of how the movement and combat in Dead Space differs from other games is what happens when you encounter enemies with ranged attacks.

In most modern shooters, enemies usually have hitscan weapons (the bullet goes where the gun is aiming, and it's instant. Zero travel time from the gun to the target). You can't dodge bullets, so there's an inevitable mount of damage you're going to take. Hiding in cover while your health regenerates is how you deal with this situation. Gears of War and Call of Duty fall into this category.

Dead Space treats combat more like Doom. Enemies with ranged attacks are mostly slower moving projectiles that you can actively dodge. (lurkers, guardian pods, pukers, and spitters) The amount of damage you do or don't take is based more on player skill. If you dodge most attacks, or kill the ranged enemies first, you don't lose as much health. Even the faster ranged attacks are telegraphed by the enemy before they come, giving you a chance to do something about it. Melee attacks are typically telegraphed too, but not so much in Dead Space 3.

As far as enemies Spawning behind you: I played through Doom 3 BFG Edition, then went straight into Dead Space 1, 2, and then 3. In Doom 3 enemies spawn behind you all the time and it's annoying. In Dead Space 1 I noticed that you rarely have enemies spawning in front of you and behind you at the same time. When an enemy does spawn behind you, you hear either it or a musical cue to let you know to turn around. You pretty much never take damage from behind before you know an enemy is there. (though the muffled sound in vacuum areas can cause issues) When enemies DO spawn in front and behind you, it's usually a large fight and you already know they're coming from everywhere. In Dead Space 3 they decided to spawn enemies in front and behind simultaneously at the beginning of some fights, and it breaks this balance that the first 2 games had.

Ghazi

So I'm testing how exploitable the combat is. In some rooms, you can trigger spawn points and then retreat into the former hallway to pick the bad guys off. They can't reach outside a certain patrollable area. But then if you go too far, they literally reset. So I had two guys drop from vents (OMG SURPRISE). I stepped through a doorway...and they actually went back up into the vents.

Wasn't this a problem in Dead Space 1 that they fixed in 2?

nel e nel

Does it really matter? Air pretty much became extra useless after landing on Tau because you will NEVER use it again. Only interesting to get the Fully Rigged trophy but nothing else. It's not the fact that AIR is a necessary upgrade or anything, it's the fact that it won't come into play for half of the game. Same for zero-G sections, fuck that.

Well, that's about 25% more than the previous two games. The only difference is that the air/zero-g sections were peppered throughout those games instead of frontloaded in the first half. Of course, when one is on a planet instead of a space ship/station, you're gonna have that whole gravity thing going on.

This has been true for the series. You can mess around with certain encounters and see the enemies pop in and out of a vent. Sometimes though, they will crawl through the vents to chase you into the room you're hanging out in.

Grisby

Now that I've finished the game, I kinda just want to do the co=op optional missions. Theoretically I should be able to just load up ch4 (it says the Brusloiv mission starts there) in a co-op game and go to town right?

ezekial45

Banned
Are there really no upgraded tips for the Telemetry Spike? I got the Javelin Spike specs and I was sure I could use that for it, but I can't find it in the crafting menu.

Lima

Now that I've finished the game, I kinda just want to do the co=op optional missions. Theoretically I should be able to just load up ch4 (it says the Brusloiv mission starts there) in a co-op game and go to town right?

Yes you can do that. You can even select the coop mission right from the chapter select menu and it will start you right in front of the door.

Moff

I think you can load up the side quests directly from the mission select menu. coop missions included.

maomaoIYP

Has anyone in here who picked this up also spent time with RE6? Because I've over 200 hrs in RE6, and the weakness of DS3's combat is painfully apparent. The door malfunction sections are excellent (...erm, terrible) examples of this, it tends to be dark and cramped, the enemies move incredibly fast, you get repeatedly get stun locked in a corner with no retaliation option and this shit just gets old so quickly.

Grisby

Yes you can do that. You can even select the coop mission right from the chapter select menu and it will start you right in front of the door.
Awesome. Thanks. I figure I'm missing a good deal of text logs and shit from those missions too.

todahawk

Wasn't this a problem in Dead Space 1 that they fixed in 2?

I'm playing 2 again right now and you can still do it in some areas... like when you get back to the bridge level of the Ishimura and there's Stalkers and the little hand flopping meat masses... I just backed up on instinct, the door shut, i'd open it and take some shots and rinse and repeat.

Ricker

Not quite sure what to do at the start of chapter 7,in space...I have to fix the Greely or something with Crozier...saved and quit but yeah,game is pretty good so far...

Okay sooo.. enabling V-sync caps me at 30FPS, disabling it gives me a high frame rate, but I'm getting screen tearing and I'm hitting 62c. I've read about D3DOverider or something? Is that the way to go to get a locked 60FPS sans tearing?

haikira

Okay sooo.. enabling V-sync caps me at 30FPS, disabling it gives me a high frame rate, but I'm getting screen tearing and I'm hitting 62c. I've read about D3DOverider or something? Is that the way to go to get a locked 60FPS sans tearing?

I was using D3DOverider a few days ago, and it worked perfect. I just formatted though and haven't downloaded it again. But if you have an Nvidia card, i found using the Nvidia control panel to force Vsync for the game works fine too. I'd imagine it's the same for AMD cards.

Mike M

Nick N
Up to chapter 14 now, going to be very surprised if the objective they're trying to accomplish for this one doesn't yield the results I expect. Isaac and his friends are kinda dense, apparently : /

So far the story hasn't been *too* terrible... Yes, the events that drove them to Tau Volantis and the love triangle are cringe-worthy, but I'm generally enjoying the exploration of what happened to Tau Volantis. I guess I'm just sucker for mysteries being unraveled, and the Markers have been a big giant mystery of the Dead Space fiction, so maybe I'm just putting up with it to sate my curiosity.

My max damage shotgun seems to have reached the end of its usefulness. Still has great damage, stopping power, spread, and knockback, but I can't fire fast enough to keep the black skinned bastards out of my face. Switched to a rocket launcher with damage guard with a force gun with ammo box for GTFO capabilities. I think I've glitched the gun out, or I just don't understand how the ammo box mechanics work. I've upgraded the clip enough that it holds two rockets. Though when the counter reads 0, I can fire another rocket, but then I need to reload. If I'm in the middle of a reload animation, I can cancel it with kinesis, and the counter will read 0, but I can fire another rocket. Sometimes I can just randomly fire rockets when the counter is zero without even having to cancel the reload animation if I fire a few rounds of force gun in the interim.

So yeah, kinda feel like I'm cheating, but it's effective...

I may go back to the shotgun once stasis coating becomes available. Maybe change my carbine to full auto with stasis to buy time for the shot gun. Damage would take a hit (My carbine is also max damage), but I'm rarely using it to put down enemies anyway...

I was using D3DOverider a few days ago, and it worked perfect. I just formatted though and haven't downloaded it again. But if you have an Nvidia card, i found using the Nvidia control panel to force Vsync for the game works fine too. I'd imagine it's the same for AMD cards.

So I've downloaded RivaTuner. What do I need to do next?

EDIT: I've got D3DOverrider working, set it to medium, then 'on' and 'on. I think it's working!

The game is definitely a wave of highs and lows, but thankfully for me, it's mostly highs that are sometimes offset by some frustrating lows. I do think the game kind of oddly loses its momentum upon reaching Tau Volantis as the enemy encounters seemingly get worse and Ellie's characterization is grating at best.

But then at the end of the second act if you will before they
reach the facility at the summit, I think Ellie improves a bit after she gets over the death of Darth Dick, and the atmosphere of this outpost is incredible
, it really reminds me of old school Resident Evil at this point.

If only we could have Visceral's attention to atmosphere and detail on Resident Evil. I would pledge my support toward that for whatever it would be worth.

Jarmel

Banned
Chapter 15 has made my opinion of the game go from "good but misguided" to crap. Ugh. I am going to put the disk in the garbage.

Have you finished the chapter? If not then wait till you get to the end. I want to hear your reactions on the cutscene at the end. If you have then just get through the next couple of chapters, the final area is amazing from an artistic design standpoint.

I really hope I don't share Kev's opinion. I think the game could get better but it could get worse at this point. I'd hate to get to the end of this and end up disliking it for whatever reason. But you win some, you lose some.

def sim

The prologue and first chapter are a total departure from the DS norm, but it wasn't handled poorly. I can see how that initial impression might leave a bad taste for some. The three following chapters have been more of what I've come to expect, though the rebalanced mechanics has altered the feel of the gun play a bit. I really like what they've done to reloading, in particular. It's somewhat discouraged here since you will waste an entire clip when done too early. I almost never reload anymore so I switch between weapons more frequently and keep the ammo count in mind to compensate. It's a refreshing change after just having played through the previous game.

The new, weaker weapons are obviously there to serve the revamped upgrade system and my choosing to start on impossible is making that seem worse than it is. I have a low tolerance for bullet sponge enemies that do not react to shots, something most TPS are guilty of, so I hope I can fast track my upgrades soon. The pre-order bonus "Enervator" has been picking up the slack when the plasma cutter disappoints. I may have had a worse impression of this game if I did not have it. Anyway, I'm enjoying myself so far. The classic stasis, dismember spike, kinetic formula still works so, if I'm reading some of these posts right, the swarms later on shouldn't be too bad at all.

RoKKeR

I don't think I have the mental fortitude to do Hardcore in this game. Unless I pull the butch USB trick, looks like this will be the one thing I don't do in this game.

I don't think I have the mental fortitude to do Hardcore in this game. Unless I pull the butch USB trick, looks like this will be the one thing I don't do in this game.

I was thinking about doing it, but those last few missions really throw a ton of enemies at you. If I died that far in the game, I would be mighty pissed.

RoKKeR

I was thinking about doing it, but those last few missions really throw a ton of enemies at you. If I died that far in the game, I would be mighty pissed.
Even in the final chapter, my friend and I got
splattered by debris in the flying section
. I don't think I would ever play video games again if I died in the last chapter.

Lima

Even in the final chapter, my friend and I got
splattered by debris in the flying section
. I don't think I would ever play video games again if I died in the last chapter.

Try Max Payne 3 NYMHC. I died the first time while fighting Becker at the end from a random grenade.

Mike M

Nick N
The classic stasis, dismember spike, kinetic formula still works so, if I'm reading some of these posts right, the swarms later on shouldn't be too bad at all.

Later swarms won't give you the luxury of taking time to do that. Plus endless swarms of feeders without weaponized limbs to cut off : /

RoKKeR

Try Max Payne 3 NYMHC. I died the first time while fighting Becker at the end from a random grenade.
Jesus, that sucks.

I just started a joke Hardcore play through and died from the explosion while repelling.

Screw that. I'll do Classic. I find it interesting that you
revisit the same area as the prologue later in the game.

nel e nel

Well, so far so good. I am enjoying myself with this game. Still getting used to the different feel of the weapons with the crafting system and whatnot, and the save system is finally starting to tick with me (although I do miss the save stations).

My one gripe so far, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the disappearing bodies. It seems that the engine can't handle more than 2 or 3 dead bodies at a time, which kinda sucks when there is a major fight and I miss out on stomping for all those resources. :/

I just hit Chapter 17 and I think this may be my second favorite Dead Space. Nothing will top the original, as the pacing in that one was just perfect. But wow, they start throwing a lot of shit at you near the end. Good thing I'm loaded for bear.

Moff

I kind of feel that I dont have enough of this game yet and want to make a 2nd playthorugh, but my New Game + on impossible is extremely easy, the fully upgraded plasma cutter is so overpowered it makes it much too easy.

what mode gives the best rewards? hardcore is not for me sadly.
what exactly is the reward for a classic playthrough? devil horns? whats that?
and what about the pure survival mode rewards? they dont seem interesting at all.
or should I continue on impossible?

Grisby

Question: At what chapter do you switch discs on the 360? Just so I know what disc to have in for the chapters I want to do in co-op.

Also, the devil horn is awesome. A co-op buddy had it and the reloading is hilarious.

RoKKeR

How long until do you guys think we get initial sales numbers? I really hope it's tracking to meet its 5m quota. (Though I think it is a ridiculous expectation)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have you finished the chapter? If not then wait till you get to the end. I want to hear your reactions on the cutscene at the end. If you have then just get through the next couple of chapters, the final area is amazing from an artistic design standpoint.

I beat the game. The end was less bad than the 1/2 to 5/6th bits, but I wasn't super wow'd by any of it. The art was really neat, though it was too dark honestly for me to really appreciate it, and just getting gangbanged by rocket retards at the end was the cherry on the shit sundae.

Anyway, back in the case, never to be played again! That's not like DS2, which I've played a few times. And DS1, which I own two copies of!

What happened to the writing in this game? How do you go from Isaac being a silent protag to needing to be reassured he's a GOOD MAN every two seconds? And then carver too? Everyone's a big sloppy whinesack. Shut the fuuuck uppp EVERYONNEEE.

Who is Danik anyway? He just came out of nowhere. The whole Unitology thing feels so forced. Went from a kind of creepy mysterious cult in the first game to this all powerful universal army in the third game. The Sovereign Colony stuff came out of nowhere too.

suxgame/10

Lima

The whole Unitology thing feels so forced. Went from a kind of creepy mysterious cult in the first game to this all powerful universal army in the third game. The Sovereign Colony stuff came out of nowhere too.

Something something Mass Effect and Cerberus comes to mind.

LiK

Just beat it today. Only one Optional Mission was interesting. The rest were kinda boring but I did them to get more info from the text logs. They explain a lot. I wish the Optional Missions were more varied. Same corridor crawl and killing dudes for a loot chest.

Story was good except the two meatheads who were fucking pointless. They added NOTHING to the story. I liked the rest. Isaac's survival from the Unitologists were too contrived tho.

Bollocks

Do you get different circuits depending on the difficulty?
I like the game A LOT. It's just too much fun in coop and we have to force ourselves to stop and take a break, it's that addictive.
I don't mind that I have a shitload of ammo, the weapon crafting systems makes up for that. Best addition to the game.

Also I think this is the best looking multiplatform game, hats off to the dev team. There were times where this could pass as a PS3 exclusive.

Also the only way to upgrade your scavenger bot is to buy it with real money?

It's just a bummer that I wont get the platinum trophy here because of the hardcore run, that's just too much for me. Personally GOTY contender. I knew that I would like it but it blew my expectations, it just all comes together and I can't wait to jump back in.

RoKKeR

Man,just got through with the tram section on Classic. Nothing in this game was quite as tense and stressful as that encounter.

I beat the game. The end was less bad than the 1/2 to 5/6th bits, but I wasn't super wow'd by any of it. The art was really neat, though it was too dark honestly for me to really appreciate it, and just getting gangbanged by rocket retards at the end was the cherry on the shit sundae.

Anyway, back in the case, never to be played again! That's not like DS2, which I've played a few times. And DS1, which I own two copies of!

What happened to the writing in this game? How do you go from Isaac being a silent protag to needing to be reassured he's a GOOD MAN every two seconds? And then carver too? Everyone's a big sloppy whinesack. Shut the fuuuck uppp EVERYONNEEE.

Who is Danik anyway? He just came out of nowhere. The whole Unitology thing feels so forced. Went from a kind of creepy mysterious cult in the first game to this all powerful universal army in the third game. The Sovereign Colony stuff came out of nowhere too.

suxgame/10

God we must be twins... Everything you said right there and especially about plot holes ( Sovereign Colonies) ive been confused about in spoilers thread.

Top Bottom