• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Finguo

YYZ said:
I have a quad core, HD 3870, and ample RAM in XP, will this game run WELL? I want to get it on Steam when it comes out. I have to ask since some games lately have had some pretty steep requirements for running well even though the minimum specs are pretty low by today's standards.

In case you still need to know, the game should run really smooth on your PC. I'm playing on an AMD X2 4600+, 8800GT and 2 Gb RAM in XP and the game runs like butter. Your CPU is a lot faster than mine, your GPU a bit slower but that shouldn't make a whole lot of difference unless you're playing in ultra-high resolutions.
So, no need to worry there. The game is a pretty well made PC port, as far as I can tell. By EA standards anyway ;).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
YYZ said:
I have a quad core, HD 3870, and ample RAM in XP, will this game run WELL? I want to get it on Steam when it comes out. I have to ask since some games lately have had some pretty steep requirements for running well even though the minimum specs are pretty low by today's standards.
Finguo said:
In case you still need to know, the game should run really smooth on your PC. I'm playing on an AMD X2 4600+, 8800GT and 2 Gb RAM in XP and the game runs like butter. Your CPU is a lot faster than mine, your GPU a bit slower but that shouldn't make a whole lot of difference unless you're playing in ultra-high resolutions.
So, no need to worry there. The game is a pretty well made PC port, as far as I can tell. By EA standards anyway ;).
My notebook plays this game at 1680x1050 max settings, and never drops below 75 frames per second, usually hovering in the 100 range if I turn off v-sync. My GPU is weaker than either of yours (maybe equal to YYZ?).

T9800 2.93Ghz Core 2 Duo, 9800m GT, 3 GB DDR3, Vista 32-bit

TTG

Any tips on how to distribute power nodes/credits? I'm at chapter 3 so far and I'm thinking of being very conservative, spending nodes on the suit and only buying one or two weapons.

It's been entertaining so far, a little generic, but hey they can't all be Bioshock. Also, does the difficulty ramp up? I've used 1 medium health pack so far... that's it, I'm playing on the medium setting.

Troidal

TTG said:
Any tips on how to distribute power nodes/credits? I'm at chapter 3 so far and I'm thinking of being very conservative, spending nodes on the suit and only buying one or two weapons.

It's been entertaining so far, a little generic, but hey they can't all be Bioshock. Also, does the difficulty ramp up? I've used 1 medium health pack so far... that's it, I'm playing on the medium setting.

Yeah, very conservative. You should put nodes on your Plasma Cutter or your suit. I don't even buy any additional weapons.

But you must be good at the game if you have only used just 1 health pack...

TTG

Troidal said:
Yeah, very conservative. You should put nodes on your Plasma Cutter or your suit. I don't even buy any additional weapons.

But you must be good at the game if you have only used just 1 health pack...

Well the first 2 chapters have been largely tutorial. There was actually a little bit of tension until I realized nothing was getting within 10 feet of me. :lol The game's mechanics are solid, but it reminds me a lot of the Doom games and lore for some reason. The storyline so far has been lifted from the Doom movie of all things and the way encounters are set up are very doom like. A lot of monster closets that you activate by stepping on a trigger or pushing a button. I know that's how most games work, but it's especially obvious here. And the keys!

I already bought the line rifle, but won't get anymore stuff atleast until I see what the level 3 suit costs. It's like the pistol but supersized, can't be that bad.

Troidal

TTG said:
Well the first 2 chapters have been largely tutorial. There was actually a little bit of tension until I realized nothing was getting within 10 feet of me. :lol The game's mechanics are solid, but it reminds me a lot of the Doom games and lore for some reason. The storyline so far has been lifted from the Doom movie of all things and the way encounters are set up are very doom like. A lot of monster closets that you activate by stepping on a trigger or pushing a button. I know that's how most games work, but it's especially obvious here. And the keys!

I already bought the line rifle, but won't get anymore stuff atleast until I see what the level 3 suit costs. It's like the pistol but supersized, can't be that bad.

LV3 suit costs
20,000 so its not the expensive (cost of 2 nodes)

It definitely is like Doom. However I have a slight problem with aiming...the three laser sights throws me off and I miss shooting the limbs a lot :/

TTG

Troidal said:
LV3 suit costs
20,000 so its not the expensive (cost of 2 nodes)

It definitely is like Doom. However I have a slight problem with aiming...the three laser sights throws me off and I miss shooting the limbs a lot :/

Thanks for the info. I think I can safely stash away that amount.

Actually, I think the aiming reticle or crosshair was made that way BECAUSE you're aiming to sever limbs. What better way to convey that to the player than to have him actually draw a line through the long, lanky limbs? It also means you don't have to be so precise with the cutting and plays in well with the concept of using tools for weapons. Although the second or third weapon you get the option to buy is just a straight up assault rifle :lol

DMczaf

I just got to Chapter 4 and I'm starting to 2nd guess myself for doing Plasma Cutter only on Hard as my first run :lol

Started playing the game last night and 'wow', so far I'm impressed. From the opening cinematic the whole game is just dripping with style and polish, the presentation is top stuff.

Anyway, just a quick question really; should I be putting my money towards buying power nodes from the store? At the moment I've upgraded a few items (as well as unlocked some doors) with the ones I have found, but given I'm coming to the end of Chapter 3 and I've got 50,000 credits to my name. I'm starting to wonder if I should be spending more at the store or allowing it to stockpile for later levels (ie. suit upgrades)

Truant

Why do people say that you can't see Isaacs face until the end. You're free to turn the camera during the last part of the intro, after the crash.

Troidal

sionyboy said:
Anyway, just a quick question really; should I be putting my money towards buying power nodes from the store? At the moment I've upgraded a few items (as well as unlocked some doors) with the ones I have found, but given I'm coming to the end of Chapter 3 and I've got 50,000 credits to my name. I'm starting to wonder if I should be spending more at the store or allowing it to stockpile for later levels (ie. suit upgrades)

Some people including myself just invest on power nodes and upgrade the plasma cutter/armor, others spend it on buying a secondary weapon of their choice. The Lv2 armor and onwards are not that expensive either so you don't really need to stock up on cash that often.

EDIT: Chapter 9 "Dead On Arrival" finally was a little bit of a change since you are
not on the Ishimura
. Three more chapters and I am done!! :-D

Nizz

I finished the game last week and this is one of the best games imo from last year. :D I'm actually ready to play through it again, which doesn't happy very often. I can like a game and when I finish it, I'll just put it away and come back to it again a couple of months later. But this game I want to replay immediately. Maybe with just the plasma cutter this time. One of my questions about the game was answered when
I saw that you can replay the game with your stuff and was given 50,000 credits, ten power nodes, a military suit and something else I think! And to think Isaac's wife was dead the whole time! The Marker tricking him into bringing it back to the planet.
I got a real "Event Horizon" vibe from the game. I really liked it.

I wish I could've killed Kendra myself, what a bitch. BTW was she hallucinating too? At first she was saying she saw her brother and stuff, but then she played Isaac....I'm not really sure whether or not she was hallucinating

NZNova

Is the plasma cutter really that great? I've got a pretty much fully upgraded line gun at the moment and it seems to mulch everything with no real hassle.

Nizz

NZNova said:
Is the plasma cutter really that great? I've got a pretty much fully upgraded line gun at the moment and it seems to mulch everything with no real hassle.
What I like about the plasma cutter is that pressing R2 (or I guess right bumper on 360?) you can switch between the three dot sights being horizontal, great for cutting the limbs off of the smaller enemies who sprout those three tentacles. Or if they're on a wall, I can switch the three dots vertically, for cutting their limbs when they're on a wall sideways. But that line gun is heavy duty though! My second go-to weapon. :D

Completed the game, awesome-sauce stuff, I hope we get sequels and it is not dumbed down in anyway from the original (ie. Don't ditch the inventory/upgrades/store for a straight forward 3rd Person Corridor Shooter)

Query about New Game + though, now I've completed the game it said I had unlocked
50,000 credits and a military suit
but yet when I started a new game I was back at square one... I thought that you started with your gear from the previous game in-tact? Or am I sadly mistaken?

BeeDog

sionyboy said:
Completed the game, awesome-sauce stuff, I hope we get sequels and it is not dumbed down in anyway from the original (ie. Don't ditch the inventory/upgrades/store for a straight forward 3rd Person Corridor Shooter)

Query about New Game + though, now I've completed the game it said I had unlocked
50,000 credits and a military suit
but yet when I started a new game I was back at square one... I thought that you started with your gear from the previous game in-tact? Or am I sadly mistaken?

Load your Game-Finish save.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Truant said:
Why do people say that you can't see Isaacs face until the end. You're free to turn the camera during the last part of the intro, after the crash.

Really? I was sure I tried that, but you're probably right. Still, for me the fact remains that the developers WANT me to see his face at the end, whether I want it or not.

Oh snap, the military suit is fucking sexy. :D

Shame they couldn't have made more suits unlockable through the game, as opposed to putting them all on paid-for DLC. I'd be tempted to play through the game again if I knew it were herald more rewards :(

Troidal

Finished it last night. Epic end!!! There was a dip in the middle chapters 6-8, but it picked up in chapter 9 onwards. The final battle was awesome. So for those playing, try to budge through the middle chapters...it's tedious but it picks up towards the end, it'll be great I assure you :)

Did the One Gun trophy/achievement, I started playing the first 3 chapters again to take a look at the Military suit and testing out the rest of the weapons I didn't bother. I might play it again with a download Scorpion/Tank suit or something, but I am pretty full and satisfied with the game.

Zero gravity, vacuum space and even gigantic structures shows its sheer scale. The 'closet monster' battles and fetch quests tend to become repetitious, but I think that's the fate of action adventure games. There's always one giant puzzle sequence you have to do in the end and those are what stood out in each chapter.

This game felt like RE4 and Doom 3 combined and made it 10x better. It's the best sci-fi action game of the CD-ROM gaming generation...maybe even beats most space sci-fi FPS like Doom, Quake, Halo in showing its sci-fi ness (gameplay being another matter).

They should do a 'sequel' not necessarily continuing the storyline, but in the same universe. If they could do something like that in a self-contained space ship/colony, I can't wait to see what they can do with larger structures like a space exploration base.

Dead Space is my AGOTY 2008.

aries_71

Troidal said:
Dead Space is my AGOTY 2008.

I agree with you. The game is fantastic. I played it before Fallout 3, and now that I have finished both of them I have to say that enjoyed more Dead Space, though Fallout is also good.

Dead Space does almost everything right. Graphics, sound, story, gameplay, environment, enemies... the lot. I would have made it one chapter shorter, eliminating one of the fetch quests, but even then is very good.

I've seen very few games that received such good comments from players.

voltron

Ok I need to know if using the cheats disables achievements. Someone here in another thread said it didnt. But I just read somewhere else that it does (some dude on PS3 used the powernode cheat and consequently didnt get level trophys).

For the record Im not one to use cheats, but Im at a fucked encounter playing on impossible mode, and that statis refill weill help big time.

So does any know without a shadow of a doubt?

def sim

voltron said:
Ok I need to know if using the cheats disables achievements. Someone here in another thread said it didnt. But I just read somewhere else that it does (some dude on PS3 used the powernode cheat and consequently didnt get level trophys).

For the record Im not one to use cheats, but Im at a fucked encounter playing on impossible mode, and that statis refill weill help big time.

So does any know without a shadow of a doubt?

They don't turn off achievements.

apoc_reg

Neo Member
Finally beat it, im a complitionist so had to get every pick up, every upgrade etc.

Absolutely wholeheartedly recommend this game. I can see this joining Resi Evil 4 on the 'Games i have finished loads of times' list!

BeeDog

Alright, began my Impossible run today, pretty hard so far (just got to Ch. 2 so don't even wanna think how the later chapters will be...).

My question is: I now have the option to buy the lvl 2 suit, but if I skip on buying it, will I be able to buy the lvl 3 suit directly, or do I need to buy them in sequence?

voltron

BeeDog said:
Alright, began my Impossible run today, pretty hard so far (just got to Ch. 2 so don't even wanna think how the later chapters will be...).

My question is: I now have the option to buy the lvl 2 suit, but if I skip on buying it, will I be able to buy the lvl 3 suit directly, or do I need to buy them in sequence?

Id be very surprised if you could skip one. Give it a go, see what happens.

todahawk

has anyone heard about additional DLC?

If would LOVE some type of RE4 Mercs mode for Dead Space. The devs obviously looked at RE4, you'd think they'd include something like that. Hell, they even borrowed an idea for a mini-game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Any advice for the Chapter 6 boss on hard?

I just can't seem to catch a freaking break with him and run out of decent ammo two thirds through the encounter (when he sprouts the second set of tentacles).

McBradders said:

I just can't seem to catch a freaking break with him and run out of decent ammo two thirds through the encounter (when he sprouts the second set of tentacles).

Have you tried using the explosive cannisters that are dotted about the place (...I think that's the chapter 6 boss anyway... the
zero-g encounter with the leviathan yeah? The cannisters are handy to chuck down his throat

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
McBradders said:

Only use PC ammo... it takes a few tries to beat him on hard but you have to:

-run around, as soon as he goes in for the swipe, jump anywhere and you'll dodge it
-destroy the tentacles the first time. after they grow back, don't bother killing them
-as soon as he opens his mouth, run around dodging the pods and then fire a single round into his mouth. he'll get angry, maybe go for a swipe and then start spitting pods again.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Using cheats does not disable achievements. (I used a +2 power node cheat once a week or two ago and since then I've unlocked Butcher, chapter 9, 10, 11 levels and Full Arsenal)

Another little tip for the chapter 6 boss..
You can use kinesis on the projectiles he spits out, and then you can fire them back at him

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
sionyboy said:
Have you tried using the explosive cannisters that are dotted about the place (...I think that's the chapter 6 boss anyway... the
zero-g encounter with the leviathan yeah? The cannisters are handy to chuck down his throat

That's the bunny, will try the cannisters, they're very hit and miss with the tentacles, anyway.

Ledsen

McBradders said:
That's the bunny, will try the cannisters, they're very hit and miss with the tentacles, anyway.

Just stand in front of him and spam Telekinesis to shoot the things he spits back at him. You never have to move except to jump away when he swipes with his tentacles. I actually beat him without getting hit once using this tactic.

What's the verdict here, 360 or PS3 version? I don't care about cost or achievements/trophies, I want to know which version delivers the better game experience, in terms of graphics, sound, controller setup... immersion.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Gryphter said:
What's the verdict here, 360 or PS3 version? I don't care about cost or achievements/trophies, I want to know which version delivers the better game experience, in terms of graphics, sound, controller setup... immersion.
They are both exactly the same aside from the controls and a few seconds of loading, iirc. Someone posted the IGN Insider Head to Head here.

Thanks Fyrus. Looks like the difference I care about is using R1 on PS3 to fire, while it is the right trigger on the 360. I plan on getting in on Dead Space, but not for a while... my backlog won't allow it

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does anyone know what the best suit is on the PSN store? I know the Obsidian is the PS3 exclusive one, but what is the Scorpion suit's stats (compared to the Obsidian suit)?

Just started this game. So far, I'm really liking it. Awesome atmosphere, and the dismemberment is fun. It's also one of the few games to actually make me jump, so an extra thumbs up for that. I have the Elite Suit from when it was free a while back. Should I not bother using it on my first play? I don't want to be overpowered and ruin the experience.

Muffdraul

Fyrus said:
Does anyone know what the best suit is on the PSN store? I know the Obsidian is the PS3 exclusive one, but what is the Scorpion suit's stats (compared to the Obsidian suit)?

Pretty sure Obsidian has +10% defense and Scorpion has +25%. Both have the same number of inventory slots, which are a lot (max?) Scorpion is the way to go.

Top Bottom