• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

See

DMczaf said:
Nicole at the end scared the crap out of me :(
Pretty similar to a moment in Downfall... Speaking of Downfall
was the scared girl (who was in the group that the team went to rescue) was she Nicole?

soldat7

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Just started this game. So far, I'm really liking it. Awesome atmosphere, and the dismemberment is fun. It's also one of the few games to actually make me jump, so an extra thumbs up for that. I have the Elite Suit from when it was free a while back. Should I not bother using it on my first play? I don't want to be overpowered and ruin the experience.

I didn't use the Elite Suit on my first play-through and I was pretty happy with that choice (played on Medium). When I do my Impossible run I'll sport either the Elite or Military.

DMczaf

I did my first run on Hard with the Elite suit, while doing the Cutter only achievement.

At first I was scared I wouldn't be able to finish, but as the game went on and I was upgrading my stuff I felt better about my decision.

I've heard so much about this asteroid shooting portion, and now that I've reached it I can see that all the hate was justified. Bah. I'm loving this game a ton, but this is really hurting it.

soldat7

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I've heard so much about this asteroid shooting portion, and now that I've reached it I can see that all the hate was justified. Bah. I'm loving this game a ton, but this is really hurting it.

Luckily it's quite brief and it should only take you a couple of tries.

To get the Achievement on the other hand...:lol

Troidal

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I hated this section. It does induce panic and tension, but at least let Isaac live damnit! :lol Took me like a dozen times, and i was hoping they didn't include another sequence and
they didn't. Sort of. The other one is not as hard.

BeeDog

Alright, am at chapter 6 now on Impossible. Hasn't been too hard, you just have to be smart with the shooting (need to make almost every shot count, and use Stasis like a madman). Hopefully it won't get much harder, but I already fear
the part in the other ship (with the soldiers) when a lockdown occurs and gazillions of monsters arrive
and when you
fight the regenerator yet again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really ought to replay this game on Impossible.

I'm already nostalgic for the great time I had with it back in October (it feels like far more than 3 months ago 0_0).

voltron

DMczaf said:
Nicole at the end scared the crap out of me :(

lol

Im such a pussy. Its around midnight here in Aus right now and I just finished my impossible run, and as I knew the scare was coming up (Im sitting in a pitch black room) I muted the volume and switched to a different TV input just so I didnt have to even glance it, despite not hearing it.

So im typing something on my laptop with the 360 controller sitting next to me on my wooden desk. Next thing I know it starts vibrating (I call it the death rattle) on the wooden desk, making a huge commotion and scaring the absolute shit out of me.

I couldnt but laugh at myself after that though. Pretty damn amusing when you think about it. :lol

Troidal

Playing it on medium again, bought the Tank suit, now I'm one bad motherfucker! :lol

It's like RE with the rocket launcher!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Loudninja said:
Maybe,and I do have the weapon maxed out,but dont want to get cocky ;)

Eh, that's only when you're at the turrent, or when you're out shooting womprats in Beggar's Canyon.

EDIT: I'm almost at the end of the game on normal, and I've only played with the cutter. Can you get the turrent achievement if you play on easy?

Just finished the game this weekend. This is definitely my favorite new IP of this gen!

Should I pick up the Downfall Blu-ray?
Also, what do we know about the next Dead Space? Nothing yet?

Thanks for the
heads up on the hidden message in the chapter names,
by the way.

Stantron

For the lazy, regarding first letter of each chapter name.
WARNING: Major Spoiler. Do NOT read unless you've finished the game.
N I C O L E I S D E A D

I just beat the game yesterday. Epic ten hours, I enjoyed all of it.

You know what this game needs? Actually, every game of this type. Horde mode. One where you start with a level one suit and just the plasma cutter. As you fight your way through waves of enemies you're given resources to upgrade, replenish ammo and obtain new weapons. For the sequel maybe. :(

Is anyone playing the PC version able to use a 360 wireless pad to play this game? I haven't been able to get Dead Space to detect my 360 pad at all. I've modified joypad.txt like it says in the readme, but the game still won't detect a single button press from the controller. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm using unofficial 3rd-party drivers rather than the MS ones (because the MS ones suck), but all my other games detect the pad just fine.

I'm really trying to get into this game, but the mouse movement is so shitty it's really difficult to get immersed.

Stantron said:
For the lazy, regarding first letter of each chapter name.
WARNING: Major Spoiler. Do NOT read unless you've finished the game.
N I C O L E I S D E A D

I just beat the game yesterday. Epic ten hours, I enjoyed all of it.

You know what this game needs? Actually, every game of this type. Horde mode. One where you start with a level one suit and just the plasma cutter. As you fight your way through waves of enemies you're given resources to upgrade, replenish ammo and obtain new weapons. For the sequel maybe. :(

i almost thought some levels WERE hordemodes at some point :p

BeeDog

Damn, Impossible is starting to get pretty fucking tough now (chapter 8). Anyone have any tips on how to take down Guardians with ease (the ones stuck on walls)?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Damn, Impossible is starting to get pretty fucking tough now (chapter 8). Anyone have any tips on how to take down Guardians with ease (the ones stuck on walls)?
It was a long time ago since I played it but I remember Guardians being EASY AS HECK once I figured out what to do against them... I think I used the gun that knocks the enemy away, that weapons alternative fire (grenade-kinda thing).

BeeDog

Seiken said:
It was a long time ago since I played it but I remember Guardians being EASY AS HECK once I figured out what to do against them... I think I used the gun that knocks the enemy away, that weapons alternative fire (grenade-kinda thing).

It seems to take like 10 shots with the Force Gun's secondary fire to kill those, but 1) I don't have too much ammo for that weapon, and 2) the little blobs it shoots out rape me. :(

But anyways, will endure and see what I manage to do.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
It seems to take like 10 shots with the Force Gun's secondary fire to kill those, but 1) I don't have too much ammo for that weapon, and 2) the little blobs it shoots out rape me. :(

But anyways, will endure and see what I manage to do.
Wait, was it maybe the Flamethrower? Try the alternative with it.

BeeDog

Seiken said:
Wait, was it maybe the Flamethrower? Try the alternative with it.

Hmm, the secondary of the Flamethrower was simply a small napalm "bomb", and I hate the weapon (haven't purchased it yet). Maybe I'll try my luck with the Line Gun, I remember it having a decent secondary fire mode.

Thanks!

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Hmm, the secondary of the Flamethrower was simply a small napalm "bomb", and I hate the weapon (haven't purchased it yet). Maybe I'll try my luck with the Line Gun, I remember it having a decent secondary fire mode.

Thanks!
Save the game, buy the flamethrower with some ammo and shoot with the alternative fire. It doesn't hurt trying, because I remember doing _something_ that made them easy as shit, and the flamethrower might've been it.

Sorry for diggin' up an old thread, but I'm loving dead space for the first time... However I'm stuck in the worst way on something that should be simple knowledge in the game. It's the Chapter 9 Engine room. *spoilers* ( but then this won't ruin much)

When I bring one of the trains to the third purp' to avoid the fire, I cannot figure out how to bring it back... LOL This is embarrassing, as my buddy has my manual, (i'm on 360...) Any help would be appreciated. I can't find this anywhere. I just keep on trying to drag it back only to leave it standing there and me in flames =(... Thanks ahead of time.

Stantron

Johnny2Bags said:
Sorry for diggin' up an old thread, but I'm loving dead space for the first time... However I'm stuck in the worst way on something that should be simple knowledge in the game. It's the Chapter 9 Engine room. *spoilers* ( but then this won't ruin much)

When I bring one of the trains to the third purp' to avoid the fire, I cannot figure out how to bring it back... LOL This is embarrassing, as my buddy has my manual, (i'm on 360...) Any help would be appreciated. I can't find this anywhere. I just keep on trying to drag it back only to leave it standing there and me in flames =(... Thanks ahead of time.
If I remember correctly, after you destroy the three power boxes on each side, the engines turn off, so technically there is no reason to pull the thing back. Unless it's a glitch, try reloading.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does anyone have in-game screens of the Scorpion suit and Obsidian suit?
Also you guys quoting untagged spoiler posts, could you well, tag them? I hate having to squint to read a page.

Rolf NB

Johnny2Bags said:

Face thing. Engage Kinesis. Walk straight backwards. It's not a fishing rod, so don't attempt to "pull" it upwards.

Troidal

Fyrus said:
Thanks, now I think I'll get the tank suit. Costs the same as Scorpion but it looks a lot better and 60% armor!

I got the Tank suit as well. It's not just the aesthetics, but the 60% armor rating had me sold :-D If I am paying for a damn skin, might as well buy something with useful functions.

BeeDog

Yay, finally got all the trophies now. Impossible got much easier as it went on, you still get plentiful of ammo, and after they've been upgraded, you're still a killing machine (but a bit more sensitive though :p).

Still such an awesome game, hopefully EA dishes out a great sequel.

soldat7

Dead Space Afterthoughts (spoilers)
By Philip Kollar

vijldw.jpg

1UP: Though it hasn't been officially announced, you mentioned in an interview with Variety that a sequel's in the works. Given that the current Dead Space story has a fairly solid, complete arc between the comic, the animated movie, and the game, do you have any insight on how you plan to expand on it? Will Isaac Clarke still be around, and will the game take place in the same universe? Or will it be more of a thematically related sequel that doesn't necessarily have the same characters or world?

GS: It's so soon after the release of Dead Space that we really haven't discussed a sequel too much. We really need to take a break, get some sleep, see our families, and then decide what's next for this great team. But if there were to be a sequel, it sure wouldn't be hard to go in a number of directions with the story. We wrote so much more of the universe when we created this game. The backstory goes back hundreds, even millions of years, and the way Dead Space ends is, well, just right. We'll get back to you on this one.

1UP: Mutant flesh-beasts certainly aren't new to games and alien movies. Will it be more of the same in the sequel, or will you take even more chances and mix it up some?

GS: Again, nothing is planned, but this is one hell of a creative team, and you can expect that if the Dead Space franchise lives on, we'll take chances, mix it up, throw in some curveballs, and hopefully leave you scared s***less in front of your TV, lying in a puddle of sweat and other bodily fluids.

Good interview and some nice bits of (spoiler) info over there.

Top Bottom