• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Aeana

After much deliberation over whether I'd be able to play it or not (I'm really fascinated with horror games, but I'm a huge wimp, so I'm not usually able to play them on my own), I decided to rent it and see how it went. I figured if I couldn't do it, I could get my boyfriend to play and I'd just watch. I don't think that'll be necessary, though -- I'm pleasantly surprised both with the game, and with myself.

The game itself is really fun, even for someone like me who struggles quite a bit with shooters -- especially on a controller. The weapons I've gotten so far are all pretty interesting, and I really appreciate the wide area that the line gun targets especially. The sphere grid-alike upgrade system is also pretty neat. The controls feel quite natural, like an upgraded RE4. The chapter system is a great way to segment my play sessions, which is something that really helps in a scary game like this. Speaking of that, though, the game hasn't been as scary for me as I expected. I'm working my way through it at a pretty decent pace (just finished chapters 1-3 last night), and while there are some pretty cheap startle and psyche-out moments that get a shriek or two out of me
oh my god, stupid tentacle thing :(
, it's nothing I haven't been able to handle.

I'm really looking forward to playing more, later!

Rolf NB

Aeana said:
I'm working my way through it at a pretty decent pace (just finished chapters 1-3 last night), and while there are some pretty cheap startle and psyche-out moments that get a shriek or two out of me

It's going to get really tense, really soon. Be prepared. But know that chapter 4 is the peak. If you can handle that, you'll be fine for the rest of the game.

Nizz

Aeana said:
After much deliberation over whether I'd be able to play it or not (I'm really fascinated with horror games, but I'm a huge wimp, so I'm not usually able to play them on my own), I decided to rent it and see how it went. I figured if I couldn't do it, I could get my boyfriend to play and I'd just watch. I don't think that'll be necessary, though -- I'm pleasantly surprised both with the game, and with myself.

The game itself is really fun, even for someone like me who struggles quite a bit with shooters -- especially on a controller. The weapons I've gotten so far are all pretty interesting, and I really appreciate the wide area that the line gun targets especially. The sphere grid-alike upgrade system is also pretty neat. The controls feel quite natural, like an upgraded RE4. The chapter system is a great way to segment my play sessions, which is something that really helps in a scary game like this. Speaking of that, though, the game hasn't been as scary for me as I expected. I'm working my way through it at a pretty decent pace (just finished chapters 1-3 last night), and while there are some pretty cheap startle and psyche-out moments that get a shriek or two out of me

Great to hear you liked the game! I got this as a Christmas gift and I loved every minute. This is my favorite game of 08. ;)

Duderz

Banned
bcn-ron said:
It's going to get really tense, really soon. Be prepared. But know that chapter 4 is the peak. If you can handle that, you'll be fine for the rest of the game.

Chapter 5 and on are when I started getting more and more tense, only because that's when I started dying left and right. Before that, enemies couldn't get close to me hardly at all. I can't even remember what happens in Chapter 4!

Anyway, I just finished the game, and I was continually impressed with how polished and well rounded everything was. The weapons were new, useful, and innovative; all the zero-g segments were handled brilliantly, and the enemies, particularly those you encounter in the later chapters, were definitely freaky.

But what the hell at the story.
So the Ishimura is attacked, and a cult on board basically just...goes along with it, saying it's god's will? I'm getting a little tired of the whole religious fanatic angle, I guess.

I always thought Hammond was going to betray me, so Kendra came as a nice surprise. The ending threw me in for a bit of a loop, though. We know that Nicole is dead, so what's up with the necromorph that attacks you at the end? It clearly resembles Nicole, but it was established that she was on the Ishimura. Does necro-Nicole just follow you around the entire game? :lol Or is it in Isaac's head? I think her character could've been handled better than it was.

Anyway, despite my reservations, that is easily a 9 or so game; the entire time I was playing it, I kept feeling like this was more of a Retro Studios game than something from EA. Either way, I loved it!

Aeana

bcn-ron said:

I finished chapter 5 earlier this evening. Stuff is definitely getting a bit more tense
that regenerating thing, and the guy venting all of the oxygen out of one of the rooms, forcing me to race back toward the starting area
, but I've been able to handle it! The story kind of reminds me of BioShock, as far as I got in that (only to the end of the medical pavilion). It's pretty interesting.

That is a pretty good interview from 1 Up. Glad to see they'll be more forgiving on the turret segments in the next game. I sucked so hard at the asteroid one. Outside of that, I loved every minute of the game.

Just finished on Medium. Awesome stuff. That very last part was really, really cool. So I think I want to play through again on Impossible with only the Plasma Cutter. How hard would this be? Should I just be a wuss and grab the Elite Suit right from the start or should I stick with the natural suit progression?

Duderz

Banned
Another quick question - did we ever find out who
was singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on Ch. 11?
Ch.11 Spoiler

Aeana

I just finished chapter 7. That was the first place I ever got legitimately stuck in the game... I had to go check a guide for
the room with the gravity tethers holding the giant asteroid in place. I destroyed two, and couldn't figure out what to do. I thought, "maybe I can walk around the asteroid" so I tried that, and the metal bars kept destroying me instantly. So I checked a guide, and sure enough, that's what you're supposed to do.
After a bunch more attempts, I finally got it. That was really dumb, honestly.

Also,
screw that stupid enemy who jumped down on me right after using the workbench in one of the rooms. :(

Game is still awesome, though.

Aeana said:
I just finished chapter 7. That was the first place I ever got legitimately stuck in the game... I had to go check a guide for
the room with the gravity tethers holding the giant asteroid in place. I destroyed two, and couldn't figure out what to do. I thought, "maybe I can walk around the asteroid" so I tried that, and the metal bars kept destroying me instantly. So I checked a guide, and sure enough, that's what you're supposed to do.

Also,
screw that stupid enemy who jumped down on me right after using the workbench in one of the rooms. :(

Game is still awesome, though.
The part where you walk on the asteroid was awesome! Don't call it dumb just because you had a hard time with it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BobFromPikeCreek said:
The part where you walk on the asteroid was awesome! Don't call it dumb just because you had a hard time with it.
I agree with Aeana, though. When you actually figure out what you're supposed to do, the scenery is quite awesome. But it's not really clear that you need to go where you need to go, and if you are just messing around, odds are you're going to die four or five (or sixty) times experimenting with how to get to where you think you need to go. It's a dangerous mix of negative reinforcement with regular gameplay, and I think it shows-- it's the only place in the game anyone really ever gets stuck.

It's not really abundantly clear that you can slow the
tethers at all, but once you can, it just becomes really frustrating trying to figure out if you can do what you think you need to.

But I agree that actually doing it was really cool. I loved just being out there in
space, just hanging out there...

Ok. Just did the first 5 chapters on medium. I understand the sense of urgency thing with the real time hud but at least make it come up faster. I am running like a madman and the thing takes too long to get up :p

I don't think I died once in the first three chapters, but starting on chapter four, I died over and over again. I think the problem I'm having is that I'm slow to recognize patterns or solutions to problems. Like,
with the section where you need to run through an area exposed to asteroids. I repeatedly tried running while asteroids were apparently passing by, because I didn't know that gusts were supposed to symbolize asteroids in the vicinity. I think I would have understood the timing if asteroids were visibly flying past every area on the screen except for the areas blocked by the barriers, but that wasn't the case. Also, more recently, I've been having a lot of trouble with an area where you need to kill three necromorphs, and another that respawns. There's no way out of the room, and while I eventually found out that you can activate a cryo chamber, which I didn't even know existed until I walked into the adjacent hallway and used it, I didn't understand how to utilize it until I read an FAQ. Honestly, I think I would have just given up on the game were it not for FAQs.
Do you think this kind of stuff is a problem with my mind or skills, or a problem with games?
For your information, I also died 141 times in Metal Gear Solid 2, and around 150 times in Grand Theft Auto IV. I am really bad at games, I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bigmakstudios said:
I don't think I died once in the first three chapters, but starting on chapter four, I died over and over again. I think the problem I'm having is that I'm slow to recognize patterns or solutions to problems. Like,
with the section where you need to run through an area exposed to asteroids. I repeatedly tried running while asteroids were apparently passing by, because I didn't know that gusts were supposed to symbolize asteroids in the vicinity. I think I would have understood the timing if asteroids were visibly flying past every area on the screen except for the areas blocked by the barriers, but that wasn't the case. Also, more recently, I've been having a lot of trouble with an area where you need to kill three necromorphs, and another that respawns. There's no way out of the room, and while I eventually found out that you can activate a cryo chamber, which I didn't even know existed until I walked into the adjacent hallway and used it, I didn't understand how to utilize it until I read an FAQ. Honestly, I think I would have just given up on the game were it not for FAQs.
Do you think this kind of stuff is a problem with my mind or skills, or a problem with games?
For your information, I also died 141 times in Metal Gear Solid 2, and around 150 times in Grand Theft Auto IV. I am really bad at games, I guess.
Whether or not that's an issue with the game or an issue with how you play the game is a bit of a messy issue.

I feel the game gives you enough hints and environmental prompts, but, if I'm to counter myself, it could just be because I've played so many games before that I know what signs to look for. If a door is locked and there's a switch that activates a cyro chamber, then I know damn well I'm going to have to use the tools given to me in the room to pass.

I feel Dead Space's difficulty and the amount of clues they gave you when it came to the puzzle-like elements was the ideal.

I borrowed this game from my brother after he finished it off and I absolutely loved it. I miss the lack of quality survivor (more shooter in this one) horror games. I do like how it's sense of suspense doesn't come from lack of ammo, which is always something I never liked as a tool to create that sense of doom (...Resident Evil).

Just about the only parts of the game that I hated were
the turret shooting sections. Protecting the ship the first time around was probably the worst, as I found the controls terrible and it was just plain annoying. Shooting the boss off of the satellite roof didn't bother me as much, but I definitely still didn't like it.
With so much polish on the game I'm surprised those parts were as bad as they were, but thankfully it was only twice.

The sound design in the zero g areas was absolutely phenomenal, definitely one of my favourite parts of the game.

Tarin02543

After a one month break I am now returning to this game to complete it. I'm currently in chapter 9, hard difficulty. Damn, this is getting insanely difficult, trial and error time!

I just started the game and i have a few questions.

I got to the first store in the game and I saw the free DLC Obsidian suit in the inventroy and I selected it but I can't seem to go back to the originial, am I stuck with this suit the entire game and are the stats already maxed out for it as it says I already have level 2 suit in my inventory after I equipped the DLC suit. Also will it take away from the game expereicene?

Also, what does the "air" option do in the node upgrades for the armor.

zoukka

Finally finished it.

The end game stretching almost made me quit, but otherwise a really enjoyable RE4-clone this was. Audiovisually amazing and everything worked nicely to deliver a scary horror experience. The game would have been so much better if they would have cut 4-5 hours away though. The giant halls with masses of enemies were a snooze-fest.

Didn't really like the ending and the last boss, while GORGEUS was really really easy and predictable. Played on hard and never had any troubles with items. In fact I never used any large med packs at all :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I hate that I can't properly use my 5.1 headset in this game to help me determine where things are.

There is too much bullshit noise all over the place to properly place where the enemies are. I imagine the dev team thought this inability to find monsters is a feature, as it creates tension.

I call it broken.

The game is fun in general, but the team's use of sound is frustrating.

DMczaf

The final boss with the sun setting is one of the most beautiful moments I've seen this generation. The boss alone is already impressive, but you set it against a sunset, and it's just WOW. I can't wait to see what these guys can do next

Also seeing it literally mop the floor with that chick was satisfying :lol

Aeana said:
I thought this was very annoying as well. first time I had too look up a guide too, i would of never figured out how to even destroy the tethers -_-

Manp

just started playing this game, i'm on chapter 2 right now, and wow! it's really good!

gaf praise is really well deserved this time! luckily because i can't say the same for my other purchase of the month :|

:)

Well. Chapter 7 was really frustrating for me. It was strictly due to
releasing the asteroid. I kept dying from those stupid oscillating curved bars. I did it once by completely on the inside of the ship but then died getting back in. After dying so many times and having the static power fail on me, I realized you could do this by going outside the ship. Screw long animations, He really takes his sweet arse time placing that beacon.

Aeana

CharpyImpact said:
What shooter games?

When you sit in a turret and have to shoot stuff out in space. If you're in chapter 7, you should have done one already, where you had to break up asteroids before they hit the ship.

Troidal

CharpyImpact said:
Ok. Just did the first 5 chapters on medium. I understand the sense of urgency thing with the real time hud but at least make it come up faster. I am running like a madman and the thing takes too long to get up :p

I know what you mean. There was one towards the end of the game where I basically was out of ammo. Then I came up to this area with a store but several enemies were there...I had to make a run for the store, menu pops up, had to fast select ammo for plasma cutter and spammed the O button like hell, haha. I got attacked in the process but got away with enough ammo to kill em bastards.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I just finished this tonight (and immediately started my second run through). Best game I've played since Bioshock. I was absolutely amazed at how good this game was. I honestly can not complain about a single aspect of it.
If Bioshock and Resident Evil 4 had a love child it would be this game.

It's been a long long time since I've played a game and felt 100% satisfied with the experience.

Wow.

I can't wait to see what this team does with the next game. Actually I can't wait to get playing it again tomorrow night after work. :)

Ok. I officially hate airlock sections. I died because one of the doors just wouldn't open. It wasn't a locked one. It was the one used to leave and I KNOW IT because I left through it 10 times and it worked all the other times. Just that TIME it didn't. I waited 30 seconds until I died :p. It just kept showing the "opening door" graphic.

soldat7

DMczaf said:
The final boss with the sun setting is one of the most beautiful moments I've seen this generation. The boss alone is already impressive, but you set it against a sunset, and it's just WOW. I can't wait to see what these guys can do next

Also seeing it literally mop the floor with that chick was satisfying :lol

I agree with this post. One of the best moments in a game this gen, at least from a pure eye candy perspective.

zoukka

CharpyImpact said:
Ok. I officially hate airlock sections. I died because one of the doors just wouldn't open. It wasn't a locked one. It was the one used to leave and I KNOW IT because I left through it 10 times and it worked all the other times. Just that TIME it didn't. I waited 30 seconds until I died :p. It just kept showing the "opening door" graphic.

PS3? I had the same problem twice and almost in every room where you open those lockers and you could see the item right in front of you yet the pick up symbol didn't appear. It did eventually of course, but nevertheless annoying.

Returners

zoukka said:
PS3? I had the same problem twice and almost in every room where you open those lockers and you could see the item right in front of you yet the pick up symbol didn't appear. It did eventually of course, but nevertheless annoying.

In that case i just grab it with the kinesis module.

Aeana

I just finished it. What a wonderful game. And I feel really accomplished for going all the way through it on my own. :O

I just got the achievement for beating the asteroid shooting segment with 50 health or more. :D :D :D I also did it on Impossible, but compared to when I played it on Medium it doesn't seem like it's affected by difficulty.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I just got the achievement for beating the asteroid shooting segment with 50 health or more. :D :D :D I also did it on Impossible, but compared to when I played it on Medium it doesn't seem like it's affected by difficulty.

sooo... what's the secret? It's kinda driving me nuts...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
drmcclin said:
sooo... what's the secret? It's kinda driving me nuts...

focus on the middle section of the screen and shoot the biggest rocks first. the (smaller) rocks near the edge of the screen won't do as much damage to the ship. not to say that you can ignore them entirely, but your focus should be on the middle section.

this section also takes a bit of luck, since the game picks a different script every time you try. When I got the achievement I didn't have many big or fast moving rocks. If you do get a lot of those, it can be a pickle since I found the controls for the cannon rather unwieldy.

Top Bottom