• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

voltron

Ahh whoever said the Pulse Rifle is one of the best weapons ism just plain old fashioned wrong. Its mostly useless apart from taking out the big explodable sections on certain enemies.

The Line Gun is better. So is the Ripper.

But yeah, the Plasma Cutter is really all you need.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The only time I found the Pulse Rifle was good was on the last boss.

Ledsen

DarkJediKnight said:
For the noobs who got the game for X-Mas, here are some tips:

1. Do not use the nodes to open doors. Use it for upgrades.

This is wrong. Doors almost always contain ammo and other stuff worth more than 10,000, which is the cost of a power node.

edit: damn, beaten!

DarkJediKnight said:
3. The 2 best guns in the game are the Plasma Cutter and the Pulse Rifle. Upgrade those two only as they are the only ones you'll need to beat the game. The rest of the weapons are nice but more like accessories.

Personally I never used the Pulse Rifle since I found it mostly useless. I'm sure it's awesome when fully upgraded but I wouldn't advise a new player to use often, if ever. The two most noob-friendly weapons are undoubtedly the Plasma Cutter and the Line Gun, and those should be priorities 1 and 2 IMO.

I'm nearing the end of chapter 3, 2 hours played. The game is great, too bad I don't really have more time to play it. Bought Ripper for the kicks but I still find Plasma Cutter a better weapon, at least in this point. Maybe I'll invest in Linegun next or just stick with upgrading the cutter.

me Jojo

Anyone beat Impossible mode yet? If so, any tips? I just started this and it's like... impossible. *cough* I barely have ammo and those damn necromorphs are like 5 times stronger than they are on medium.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
PetriP-TNT said:
I'm nearing the end of chapter 3, 2 hours played. The game is great, too bad I don't really have more time to play it. Bought Ripper for the kicks but I still find Plasma Cutter a better weapon, at least in this point. Maybe I'll invest in Linegun next or just stick with upgrading the cutter.

On hard mode? I loved the PC / LG combo. Line Gun is basically a shotgun with an attached timed mine. Throwing down stasis+a mine is a great combo for some tough baddies/groups of baddies.

kuYuri

I personally liked the Pulse Rifle once it's upgraded. It's powerful, accurate, fast rate of fire, and can stun enemies in place.

It's a good gun to use for finishing off enemies and against bosses.

I don't understand why the Line Gun is like a shotgun, the Force Gun acts more like a shotgun if anything, plus it also fires mines, though not timed mines per say.

jon bones

Strider2K99 said:
I don't understand why the Line Gun is like a shotgun, the Force Gun acts more like a shotgun if anything, plus it also fires mines, though not timed mines per say.

Force Gun is probably more shot gun... Line Gun is like a shot gun / plasma cutter combo. I love the way it rips through guys at close range :lol

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
I personally liked the Pulse Rifle once it's upgraded. It's powerful, accurate, fast rate of fire, and can stun enemies in place.

It's a good gun to use for finishing off enemies and against bosses.

I "discovered" the Force Gun last night and damn, that weapon does some damage! :D I used it for the first time at
the level where you have to put the beacon on the asteroid
and I like that gun. Speaking of which,
at that asteroid level, I used stasis to freeze those rings circling the asteroid then hopped on to drop the beacon but those rings always start up again.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to level up stasis more strongly?

me Jojo

fps fanatic said:
I "discovered" the Force Gun last night and damn, that weapon does some damage! :D I used it for the first time at
at that asteroid level, I used stasis to freeze those rings circling the asteroid then hopped on to drop the beacon but those rings always start up again.
I died 5 times on my first run before placing it succesfully. Easy way to do this is to jump onto the side that's outer space and place it there. The rings don't reach there, and you have to go outside to destroy those 2 place-holders anyway.

Nizz

Infamypack said:
I died 5 times on my first run before placing it succesfully. Easy way to do this is to jump onto the side that's outer space and place it there. The rings don't reach there, and you have to go outside to destroy those 2 place-holders anyway.
Cool, thanks a lot, man! Will try again tonight. I don't play the game until the sun goes down. It just feels right. ;)

kuYuri

Littleberu said:
Am I supposed to survive the demo, or just die after a while?

Yes, you're supposed to die. An interesting way to end the demo.

fps fanatic said:

Infamy mentioned it, but I'll give my take.

Let's say you're in the asteroid room and you're standing on the floor (not ceiling) and you're looking towards the asteroid. The rings on it will eventually move to the right, freeing up some space on the left side of the asteroid. You have to make the zero-g jump towards the left just as the rings move towards the right and run behind the asteroid. You will be in the vacuum of space, where the rings can't reach you and you can plant the beacon on this side.

Quick tips, there are some Lurkers out here, so watch out for them. There are also some floating boxes with items in them. Lastly, when you see Isaac in the planting beacon animation, be careful not to cancel it by pressing other buttons, cause the game glitched on me when I did that.

Rolf NB

Can't agree with those recommendations. They might make sense if you wanted to grief uninitiated Dead Space players, but as help? Nuh.

Node doors always contain enough swag to make it worthwhile. The pulse rifle is very rarely useful, if at all. The pulse rifle is also the poorest possible choice to exploit the game's ammo drop system. If you want ammo with excellent value to sell, carry the ripper. That's also a nice complementary weapon for when things get disastrous at close range (try it against swarms of small ones), where the pulse rifle does only what the plasma cutter can do, but slower and less precise.

Magik

jon bones said:
Force Gun is probably more shot gun... Line Gun is like a shot gun / plasma cutter combo. I love the way it rips through guys at close range :lol

Watching the Line Gun rip through multiple enemies at once is so satisfying. The sounds of limbs being ripped apart all at once is beautiful.

God, the sound in Dead Space is phenomenal.

voltron

bcn-ron said:
Node doors always contain enough swag to make it worthwhile. The pulse rifle is very rarely useful, if at all. The pulse rifle is also the poorest possible choice to exploit the game's ammo drop system. If you want ammo with excellent value to sell, carry the ripper. That's also a nice complementary weapon for when things get disastrous at close range (try it against swarms of small ones), where the pulse rifle does only what the plasma cutter can do, but slower and less precise.

Exactly. To say that you shouldnt use nodes to open any node doors that come up is just stupid... it really is.

Firstly there are very very few of them. They really are super rare. Secondly, the loot in the room once you get in there usually pays for itself and the some. even if you get a bunch of loot that you dont need, GO SELL IT AND BUY ANOTHER NODE!

There are even rooms that completely reimburse you of the 10k needed for a node anyway... either through credits or through a semiconductor to sell at the store.

You people advising not to to use nodes to open doors do realise that you can buy an infinite amount of nodes right?

tanod

when is my burrito
voltron said:
You people advising not to to use nodes to open doors do realise that you can buy an infinite amount of nodes right?

Also, there is only one node door per chapter so you can plan your upgrading around that.

epmode

voltron said:
I only discovered this after skipping the first few node rooms.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
Yes, you're supposed to die. An interesting way to end the demo.

Infamy mentioned it, but I'll give my take.

Let's say you're in the asteroid room and you're standing on the floor (not ceiling) and you're looking towards the asteroid. The rings on it will eventually move to the right, freeing up some space on the left side of the asteroid. You have to make the zero-g jump towards the left just as the rings move towards the right and run behind the asteroid. You will be in the vacuum of space, where the rings can't reach you and you can plant the beacon on this side.

Quick tips, there are some Lurkers out here, so watch out for them. There are also some floating boxes with items in them. Lastly, when you see Isaac in the planting beacon animation, be careful not to cancel it by pressing other buttons, cause the game glitched on me when I did that.
Thanks for the tips! Man, I'm very impressed with this game. Everything's so polished: the graphics, controls, UI, sound... EA really did it with this game. Redwood deserve props for this game.

kuYuri

bcn-ron said:
Can't agree with those recommendations. They might make sense if you wanted to grief uninitiated Dead Space players, but as help? Nuh.

I'm pretty sure the Contact Beam ammo is the one that gives you the most money, but it's been a few weeks since I last played the game, so maybe I'm wrong.

freshair

Just finished the game. Brilliant, I must say. Only played a chapter or 2 per day, as I don't like being "immersed" in that atmosphere for too long.

Was it just me, or was the last boss relatively easy? I had a fully upgraded plasma cutter and took 'em out in no time. Shoot, I had more trouble taking down those wall-necromorphs and those damn "mouse". :lol

freshair said:
Just finished the game. Brilliant, I must say. Only played a chapter or 2 per day, as I don't like being "immersed" in that atmosphere for too long.

Was it just me, or was the last boss relatively easy? I had a fully upgraded plasma cutter and took 'em out in no time. Shoot, I had more trouble taking down those wall-necromorphs and those damn "mouse". :lol

Yea the cutter was pretty much all I used. If I had known that using the cutter only was a trophy, I probably would not have used any of the other weapons.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
epmode said:
I just tested the PC version. Brightness only. Unless I'm missing something buried in a config file.

Thanks mate!

I think I'm going to buy it anyway, it's €29 at my local Block Buster and that should be a pretty good deal (I think).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Littleberu said:
Am I supposed to survive the demo, or just die after a while?

You're supposed to die but only during a "death sequence cut-scene" (basically when you've killed all the monsters).

I finished chapter 6 last night, with about six hours being put into the game. So, every chapter takes me about an hour. The only achievement I could see having a problem getting in Dead Space is the "Don't Get Cocky Kid" achievement.

djkimothy

Dax01 said:
I finished chapter 6 last night, with about six hours being put into the game. So, every chapter takes me about an hour. The only achievement I could see having a problem getting in Dead Space is the "Don't Get Cocky Kid" achievement.

That trophy/achievement was such BS. Took me 10-14 tries but finally managed it. It's half luck since you're sort of relying on good asteroid placement for much of the challenge.

jon bones

voltron said:
Exactly. To say that you shouldnt use nodes to open any node doors that come up is just stupid... it really is.

Firstly there are very very few of them. They really are super rare. Secondly, the loot in the room once you get in there usually pays for itself and the some. even if you get a bunch of loot that you dont need, GO SELL IT AND BUY ANOTHER NODE!

There are even rooms that completely reimburse you of the 10k needed for a node anyway... either through credits or through a semiconductor to sell at the store.

yes, listen to this guy. i always carry a node just in case i pass a door... it's always worth checking out.

todahawk

jon bones said:
yes, listen to this guy. i always carry a node just in case i pass a door... it's always worth checking out.

yes, I think I nailed every door except for the one on
chapter 12 in the first quarantine area

GOTY for me, easy. plotting my hard run now, i didn't see impossible after i beat the game. I'm thinking of doing my 1-gun run on medium and trying to finish off some other challenges and doing a hard run focusing on
cutter/line or cutter/force
. Trying my next run with no music too, I still have my obsidian suit but I'll save it for impossible unless hard really kicks my ass. I'm hoping I do ok, I only used the first two weapons until pretty late in the game and thought I was really inefficient with my money and choices.

i don't know about anyone else but I was absolutely floored at the beginning of the last level. Awesome awesome awesome. The sound work overall left me really impressed. So glad this game snuck up on me like RE4, no hype to ruin anything. I've been on media blackout for RE5 and KZ2 since I started playing DS.

Can't wait for the sequel, Although I'm really hoping for a RE4 Mercs still add-on via DLC. Pretty please Redwood Shores?!?!

Alivor

Picked this up yesterday. I love how everything just pops up in front of you as a menu, while still keeping you in the game. And how there's no HUD. Awesome, awesome game.

I just finished it; holy shit at the ending.
Getting people thinking about a sequel?

GOTY for me. Better than MGS4, Gears 2, L4D, Mirror's Edge -- any other game that came out this year. This, for me, was a HUGE surprise: sleeper hit of the year. I enjoyed the story, excellent atmosphere, great gameplay. Imma going to try to get all the achievements for it now.

Infamypack said:
It's really easy if you do it on your second round. Just make sure you fully upgrade your cutter and gear in round 1.
I was going to get that achievement on "Easy."

Man, the "Don't Get Cocky, Kid" achievement is tough.

Atrus

Gold Member
Infamypack said:
Took me an hour and a half to get.:lol Anyone beat this game on impossible yet?

I've gotten all the trophies in two passes. The first run with just the cutter and Impossible for all the other remaining trophies. It's not actually that difficult as there are a lot of tricks that can be exploited if you know what to do.

Atrus said:
I've gotten all the trophies in two passes. The first run with just the cutter and Impossible for all the other remaining trophies. It's not actually that difficult as there are a lot of tricks that can be exploited if you know what to do.
And what sort of tricks are you talking about?

Edit: And how is Dead Space: Downfall? Is it any good?

Atrus

Gold Member
Dax01 said:
And what sort of tricks are you talking about?

Edit: And how is Dead Space: Downfall? Is it any good?

In the last chapter when
you are moving the monolith to the platform as it's guarded by tentacles. At the last door, you can grab the monolith and push it within 10 feet of the pedestal before you have to actually go outside. Then all you have to do is run all the way down there and push it in, thereby eliminating any need to deal with either the tentacles or necromorph hordes.

or in a similar scenario in a previous chapter where
you are getting the monolith up out of the cargo hold of the Ishimura and have to face hordes of Necromorphs. Just activate the panel and run back up to the workbench. There's a single ventilation shaft here where all of the thin humanoid ones will come through and you can just stand back and deal with them in an organized fashion.

Another occurs in the Ishimura's mining platform where you have to launch asteroid chunks into the laser. Hordes that come in that area can be dealt with easily if you use the node-locked door and run to the area where all the items are. Turn 180 and most of the horde save the fat ones will drop down at the end of the room in an organized fashion.

As for Dead Space: Downfall I thought it was good. It tries to explain some of the background events but creates some questions of its own that doesn't sync with the games story. It's a bit like the new Resident Evil CG movie. Great for fans who don't mind watching a movie with a poor plot just to see an expansion of the background and a return of some of their favorite characters.

Got it for Christmas, and I am loving it. It feels more like the old RE games than RE4, and that's a very good thing. Honestly, the game is so good that my only complaint is that there isn't a good way to heal while in combat. That's such a minor issue, too. Terrific game so far.

I figured there was an achievement for shooting the asteroids, but considering it took me four tries to beat, and I ended up at 2% integrity, I decided not to go after it. I don't think I am capable of doing it.

FutureZombie said:
I figured there was an achievement for shooting the asteroids, but considering it took me four tries to beat, and I ended up at 2% integrity, I decided not to go after it. I don't think I am capable of doing it.
There is, and it's hard. :lol

@Atrus, thanks. I think I am going for that use only the plasma-cutter achievement on impossible, and go for the upgrade achievements on my previously-beat game that lets you start over with all your weapons and junk.

Atrus

Gold Member
FutureZombie said:
Got it for Christmas, and I am loving it. It feels more like the old RE games than RE4, and that's a very good thing. Honestly, the game is so good that my only complaint is that there isn't a good way to heal while in combat. That's such a minor issue, too. Terrific game so far.

Not sure what it would be on the 360 but one of the buttons automatically uses the smallest healing item you have in your inventory, thus leaving you to run around without having to go into menus.

Atrus said:
Not sure what it would be on the 360 but one of the buttons automatically uses the smallest healing item you have in your inventory, thus leaving you to run around without having to go into menus.
It's "X." Just make sure you aren't holding the left trigger while you do it!:lol

Troidal

Obviously LTTP, been catching up on my games so I finished Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect, and now I am playing Dead Space on the PS3.

The demo was definitely a terrible representation of the full game. It really left a bad taste in my mouth that I almost would not have bought it. The game is extremely well-polished and I have a feeling this and Mirror's Edge is a good new direction EA is taking. This is very important especially in Japan because they love polish, and these 2 games have it.

Anyhow the game is fun, but not scary. You start to see all the cues...unopened vents, check. Corpse lying around, check. And of course, turn your back and an enemy is there, check. It reminds me of Doom 3 with the 'closet monster' routine, but it's still fun. Zero gravity and vacuum space are both interesting concepts. I like the sound when in vacuum, the heavy breathing inside the suit...they really did a good job in the sound department.

This game also takes something from Resident Evil 4 which made things 'better' like being able to move around while shooting. Now Capcom really has no excuse why they still have to restrict player's movement to 'induce fear and panic'...because this game can do it without such restrictions. So +1 pts to Dead Space, -1 pts to Resident Evil 5 xD

I have only been using the plasma cutter and upgraded it almost to the max, so now I am using the nodes to upgrade the suit. I think I've sacrificed a lot of ammo and medkits to buy nodes and upping my gears a bit much *_*

I am in Chapter 5 now so I'll probably plow through the game hopefully before my winter break is over ;-D

I was trying to get the "upgrade everything" achievement only to discover to my unpleasant surprise that upgrading all of the DLC weapons doesn't count. :(

Grrrrrr.....

me Jojo

Dax01 said:
I was trying to get the "upgrade everything" achievement only to discover to my unpleasant surprise that upgrading all of the DLC weapons doesn't count. :(

Grrrrrr.....
I upgraded my Scorpion Plasma Cutter, Line Gun and Force Gun and it unlocked. One Gun unlocked with the Scorpion Plasma Cutter as well.

Troidal

Beat Chapter 5 and 6.

5 was pretty good, reminded me of Resident Evil 3 a lot
with the Tyrant-like monster chasing you around
, it felt very familiar :-D

6 not so good. It felt too much of a fetch-a-ton having to go through
8 different posion pods then killing the Leviathan.
Meh.

Hope it picks up again...it is getting a bit dull imo.

Top Bottom