• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

kinggroin

Banned
Troidal said:
Beat Chapter 5 and 6.

5 was pretty good, reminded me of Resident Evil 3 a lot
with the Tyrant-like monster chasing you around
, it felt very familiar :-D

6 not so good. It felt too much of a fetch-a-ton having to go through
8 different posion pods then killing the Leviathan.
Meh.

Hope it picks up again...it is getting a bit dull imo.

It's funny, but I know a few folks that, like me, had this game pegged as GOTY up as far as Ch. 5 or 6. Then as things progressed in a very samy, repetitive manner (Doom 3 syndrome), that award went straight out the window.

Good game, but stretched imo, waaaay too thin.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I've just hit Chapter 5's scary chasey man and I don't think I can go on. I can't do being chased in videogames, not being able to look over my shoulder just makes me far too tense!

Please say something to help me go on, GAF.

kinggroin

Banned
McBacon said:
I've just hit Chapter 5's scary chasey man and I don't think I can go on. I can't do being chased in videogames, not being able to look over my shoulder just makes me far too tense!

Grow a pair, and...

...go on.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So he only attacks in certain areas right? Like right now I'm safe, he's not gonna suddenly come in and surprise me, right?

kinggroin

Banned
McBacon said:
So he only attacks in certain areas right? Like right now I'm safe, he's not gonna suddenly come in and surprise me, right?

Actually, yes, expect a LOT of surprises.

To help, keep away from air vents ;)

Don't worry though, eventually it's "BOO!" shtick gets predictable, so you won't be as intimidated by it when you know it's coming.

me Jojo

McBacon said:

Highlight at own risk.

IT comes back in chapter 10 D: TIP regarding this: Before picking up the keycard after you moved the bunk beds, try to memorize the order you moved them in. As soon as you pick up the keycard, DON'T STAND STILL AND LISTEN TO MERCER, but run the hell back to the bunk beds and move them so you can get out ASAP. The Hunter (regenerator) doesn't spawn until Mercer stops talking to you. If you do it as fast as you can it will drop right in front of you as you leave the bunk bed part of the room. Run around it and head straight out and you'll have another lockdown in the next room. Use statis and shoot off its legs as you kill all other necromorphs. Eventually the door opens, and brings you to the narrow hallway with a save station and the door to the elevator. The first thing you'd most likely want to do is using the save station, but it goes on stand-by as Kendra and/or Mercer start talking to you. Head straight into the elevator and ignore the save station, because the Hunter WILL drop in front of you and is likely to rip you apart as it does. After you used the elevator, you won't encounter it until the final battle near the shuttle, in which you will kill it for good.

McBacon said:
So he only attacks in certain areas right?

When you freeze it in the end of chapter 5 it won't return until the chapter I mentioned above. And yes, it's the same one. :)

Gowans

Just started this today after having it sitting here since it came out.

I'm blown away, played through to chapter 4.

The art, polish and sound in this game is amazing & I'm really digging its vibe & story (its the best sci-fi horror film style game ever), have jumped a tonne and I never jump at games.

Chapter 5 was great. I was looking over my shoulder the entire time. But once you discover the trick its not too hard. Freeze->shoot leg->move on. If you can manage that as well as other monsters in the area you'll do fine. Also If you upgraded Duration that helps too.

YYZ

I have a quad core, HD 3870, and ample RAM in XP, will this game run WELL? I want to get it on Steam when it comes out. I have to ask since some games lately have had some pretty steep requirements for running well even though the minimum specs are pretty low by today's standards.

epmode

I don't know much about ATI cards so I can't say for sure, but it seems to be a fantastic port to me. You'd probably be fine.

Nizz

robut said:
I picked it back up last night and for the second time was shaken to the core. I stayed up 3 hours past my bedtime:lol
This is the first game in a long time that's made me jump in my seat. I usually don't scare easy in games, but with this game I've jumped a couple of times! :lol I'm at Chapter 12
the last chapter I'm afraid. :( I just found out Nicole was dead the whole time! Now I'm at the point where I'm fighting this huge creature. It's so tough (to me) when those tentacle sections pop up, the aiming becomes difficult in those sections and this giant creature is no different. But I have a feeling I'm beating this game tonight!
Great game!

I'm really trying to get into this on my PC, but the damn mouse lag is so distracting. Yes, I have V-sync off, and I've fiddled around with a bunch of Nvidia settings like Triple-buffering, Number of frames to render ahead and V-sync, but I can't seem to get it quicker than about half a second. I can make it worse than that, but not better.

Anyone have any ideas?

TTG

Just rented this today and got maybe 35 minutes of play time in. First impressions over all are good even though I've never really liked the survival horror genre. If anything it feels very videogamy in the way it told me to cut off the limbs about 7 times and the intro scenes/set ups are very generic, but that's ok, I'm not expecting revolutionary stuff. The plasma pistol feels great, the presentation is well done outside of the aliasing problems.

dchavez

faceless007 said:
I'm really trying to get into this on my PC, but the damn mouse lag is so distracting. Yes, I have V-sync off, and I've fiddled around with a bunch of Nvidia settings like Triple-buffering, Number of frames to render ahead and V-sync, but I can't seem to get it quicker than about half a second. I can make it worse than that, but not better.

Anyone have any ideas?

Use a 360 controller?

voltron

McBacon said:

Just fucking keep playing.

I just have to say, this game is so so so so so so so fucking good. I just cannot stop playing it.

bottles

Infamypack said:
Highlight at own risk.

IT comes back in chapter 10 D: TIP regarding this: Before picking up the keycard after you moved the bunk beds, try to memorize the order you moved them in. As soon as you pick up the keycard, DON'T STAND STILL AND LISTEN TO MERCER, but run the hell back to the bunk beds and move them so you can get out ASAP. The Hunter (regenerator) doesn't spawn until Mercer stops talking to you. If you do it as fast as you can it will drop right in front of you as you leave the bunk bed part of the room. Run around it and head straight out and you'll have another lockdown in the next room. Use statis and shoot off its legs as you kill all other necromorphs. Eventually the door opens, and brings you to the narrow hallway with a save station and the door to the elevator. The first thing you'd most likely want to do is using the save station, but it goes on stand-by as Kendra and/or Mercer start talking to you. Head straight into the elevator and ignore the save station, because the Hunter WILL drop in front of you and is likely to rip you apart as it does. After you used the elevator, you won't encounter it until the final battle near the shuttle, in which you will kill it for good.

Now why would you do that? Part of what makes Dead Space so great is that it keeps finding new ways to scare you. I also hate being chased in a scary game, but that’s the point! You should feel tense, and you should be freaking out when you can’t seem to find your way back. So, by all means, play the game the way it’s supposed to be played:
listen to Mercer before running
, even though the surprise has already been ruined.

GOTY 2008.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just started this game on Hard, now at the end of Chapter 2. I like how Hard forces you to think through tactics.

Wondering if this is one of those games where you might end up in a situation with no ammo or health kits and no escape that will force you to restart the game? Had one pretty tight moment already where every shot had to hit.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So after finishing the game, I'm a bit confused about how Isaac is being portrayed. In chapter 12, for example...
as far as I can recall, the ONLY time he shows any type of emotion in the game is when he realizes Nicole is dead...when he stands there shaking his head a bit in sorrow. I mean, sure, I'm not questioning why he would do that, but I find it strange how he didn't react on anything else. Did it even look like he cared in any way when meeting Nicole for the first time after reaching the Ishimura? I find it inconsistent.

And similarly, you never get to see his face (I recall trying to bring the camera around at the beginning when he has no helmet on, but it didn't work)...until the end, where they suddenly show his face to you. And it really makes me wonder...why!? Again with this inconsistency, where they spent the whole game making sure you don't see his face, and all of a sudden - BAM, there it is!
I thought the decision to not show his face (or feelings) was to try to make the player feel like they are Isaac (which in itself isn't very effective in third-person IMO, even if he has a suit on, because of the disconnect of you very clearly seeing the character you are supposed to "be").
Anyway, the only reason I can think of for them to show his face is to try and connect him to the movie or comic in some way, so that the player may recognize his face even if they don't mention him by name. I have no idea if he actually shows up in any of them though, so I'm just guessing here.

fps fanatic said:
This is the first game in a long time that's made me jump in my seat. I usually don't scare easy in games, but with this game I've jumped a couple of times! :lol I'm at Chapter 12
the last chapter I'm afraid. :( I just found out Nicole was dead the whole time!

I thought that was pretty obvious pretty much as soon as she showed up, why would she survive when almost everyone else died? And all that talk about "make us whole again". A funny sidenote (that I'm sure has already been mentioned in this thread), read the first letter of every chapter in order. :p

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Chittagong said:
Just started this game on Hard, now at the end of Chapter 2. I like how Hard forces you to think through tactics.

Wondering if this is one of those games where you might end up in a situation with no ammo or health kits and no escape that will force you to restart the game? Had one pretty tight moment already where every shot had to hit.

I played on hard on my first playthrough. Thought the situation you described would happen to me, but never happened. Just have many different save files :D

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Chittagong said:

Multiple save files are your friend. I always kept at least one save file at the very start of each chapter in case I found myself in a desperate situation. I never had to use it, but I came very, very close to being completely out of ammo a couple of times before major fights. Playing on hard definitely helps keep the tension.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Chittagong said:

I remember reading somewhere that the game was designed to adapt to how you're doing in the game, to some degree. For example, if you get injured a lot and run out of med packs, the game will give you access to more lockers, which in turn will give you med packs when you really need them. Not sure how true that is, but I kept wondering if it was just my progress that unlocked some of the lockers (and why some of them remained locked for the rest of the game)

BeeDog

Kiriku said:
I remember reading somewhere that the game was designed to adapt to how you're doing in the game, to some degree. For example, if you get injured a lot and run out of med packs, the game will give you access to more lockers, which in turn will give you med packs when you really need them. Not sure how true that is, but I kept wondering if it was just my progress that unlocked some of the lockers (and why some of them remained locked for the rest of the game)

When it comes to the lockers, I'm pretty sure the lockers that are possible to open are always fixed (but the content inside the lockers is random, so medikits might pop up more often if needed). Since the game relies a lot of backtracking, some lockers are locked in one chapter, but are opened up when you return to the area.

Though I'm pretty sure that the item drops from enemies adapts to a certain degree, depending on the need.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BeeDog said:
Though I'm pretty sure that the item drops from enemies adapts to a certain degree, depending on the need.

Absolutely, at least concerning ammo (since you only get ammo for weapons you're actually carrying with you). Or do you mean med packs as well?

BeeDog said:
When it comes to the lockers, I'm pretty sure the lockers that are possible to open are always fixed (but the content inside the lockers is random, so medikits might pop up more often if needed). Since the game relies a lot of backtracking, some lockers are locked in one chapter, but are opened up when you return to the area.

I've noticed that while playing with only the plasma cutter (trying to get that One Gun achievement), enemies will for the most part only drop plasma rounds.

BeeDog

Kiriku said:
Absolutely, at least concerning ammo (since you only get ammo for weapons you're actually carrying with you). Or do you mean med packs as well?

I meant med packs as well. Might be some stupid "placebo", but I'm sure I got more medipack drops when the stash I was carrying around depleted. And yeah, ammo drops are most certainly affected by the weapons you're carrying.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The Contact Beam has slightly disappointed me, but it's paid itself off many times over given the tens of thousands I've made from the Contact Energy I amass while carrying it.

No45

Chittagong said:

I played through on hard first time as well, just using the Plasma Cutter. Single save file. There were a couple of occasions when I didn't have enough ammo to deal with what was coming at me - in those cases the game usually gives you some alternative options, like stasis or kinesis.

If all else fails, just run like fuck (Needed to do it a couple of times and it's viable).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I have very mixed feelings about this game... I enjoy playing it, it's a lot of fun, never really scary though, but I dunno... once I stop playing, I feel no urge to get back into it.

todahawk

K.Jack said:
The Contact Beam has slightly disappointed me, but it's paid itself off many times over given the tens of thousands I've made from the Contact Energy I amass while carrying it.
That's a good point, I noticed the ammo sells for a high price. I wonder if I should buy it during my hard run just for the drops.

Dyno

K.Jack said:

The Contact Beam mulches through bosses and sub-bosses. Power up, aim, let go.

I'm on my third playthrough (Impossible) and it, along with Plasma Pistol, Line Cutter, and Force Gun make for my favourite suite of weapons.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
neorej said:
I have very mixed feelings about this game... I enjoy playing it, it's a lot of fun, never really scary though, but I dunno... once I stop playing, I feel no urge to get back into it.
I think it is pretty scary. It is not as in-your-face scary as Doom 3 was, but if you have the volume up there is always the sound of clanking metal or some other shit going on around you... it builds up a great atmosphere of horror I think. I find myself walking slowly really often, or constantly having my weapon raised at points.

I think they did a good job with the horror/scariness of it. Having the volume up and only playing at night really helps. The sound in this game is amazing.

Sysgen

I just started the game and I'm really liking the production values, however I wish the save system was different. Dead Space lets the player save at almost any time but to do so you have to backtrack to a save point. I understand that the design is to discourage saving at anytime but it's annoying to have to re-explore areas when you die and are reset to a checkpoint. My other beef is when I walk up to a save point I just want to press a button to save in a designated slot. Opening the save interface breaks the immersion.

Troidal

Sysgen said:
My other beef is when I walk up to a save point I just want to press a button to save in a designated slot. Opening the save interface breaks the immersion.

I think the save interface being in every game (both PS3 and PSP) means its part of Sony's lameass TRC requirements. It certainly does break you from the immersion :/

I haven't played since finishing chapter 6, hopefully I'll have some time this weekend.

kinggroin said:
It's funny, but I know a few folks that, like me, had this game pegged as GOTY up as far as Ch. 5 or 6. Then as things progressed in a very samy, repetitive manner (Doom 3 syndrome), that award went straight out the window.

Good game, but stretched imo, waaaay too thin.

I agree. By the time I got the 9th chapter, I just wanted the game to end. They should have condensed the story aspects of the game and had actual side missions for replay value rather than stretch the story to 12 chapters.

Also, the amount of double crossing at the end was unnecessary and ruined an otherwise, acceptable story

DMczaf

Finally opened my copy from the Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal and started a game on Hard.

Already after the first chapter, this game is gorgeous. What ever they are doing, do more of it!

Top Bottom