• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Ok just finished it.

I just don't understand the being crazy aspect at certain points. For instance, that one door is locked and Nicole opens it and if she dies you lose. Yet, she really isn't there and the door really isn't locked. I hate psychological stuff.

The game was great though. Really great looking game. I wish the environments were a little more varied. Heck, even when they did change the setting, it still seemed the same since pretty much everything was dark. There was that one room that was green tint. That was nice. They should have worked with colors other than the lack there of :p

Also, I stocked a crapton of weaponary for the last boss. Then, I actually used less ammo on him then a guardian and her little ones. That was dumb. I had 175 plasma shots :p Maybe this is because I had it on medium.

Focus on the asteroids on the middle of the screen. That's the advice I was given and it worked. Don't worry if some get by around the sides because often they miss or do very little damage. The ones that do the most damage are always in the middle. The really fast ones and the really big ones are the ones you want to watch out for.

Edit: Oops. Didn't see there was a new page and that Darunia pretty much said everything I wanted to already. :lol

The Chef

So whats the consensus gaf? Is this game worth buying or is a rental fine?
I just beat Fallout 3 and am looking for a new game. I was thinking either this or Fable II.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Chef said:
So whats the consensus gaf? Is this game worth buying or is a rental fine?
I just beat Fallout 3 and am looking for a new game. I was thinking either this or Fable II.
You'll probably finish it in the rental period, but I'd strongly recommend buying it, if only to support the making of games as brilliant as Dead Space is.

But look, if it comes down to a money thing, chances are Fable 2 is going to give you more hours of playtime. So, I'd say, if time versus money is your main concern, buy Fable 2 and rent Dead Space, as you'll be able to finish DS in a rental period, whereas you probably wouldn't finish F2 in that time.

If money versus time is no issue, then buy Dead Space, it is the superior game. Plus, you just finished Fallout 3, so you might want something a bit different.

But look, both games are pretty great, chances are you won't be disappointed either way.

The Chef

I definitely want to mix it up a bit after my 40+ hours of Fallout so thanks for the opinions guys - I'll go buy it. From what I have read in this thread it sounds amazing.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The Chef said:
I definitely want to mix it up a bit after my 40+ hours of Fallout so thanks for the opinions guys - I'll go buy it. From what I have read in this thread it sounds amazing.

It is amazing. Very much so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally decided to get it on Steam last night and discovered that the price had dropped $10 on the US Steam store, so I masked my IP and gifted it to myself with a dummy account. I hope I don't get banned if I keep doing this. In my book it is just ridiculous that stuff is priced differently for downloadable content. Fallout 3 is also $10 cheaper on the "international store" (whatever store Japan can access) than it is on the US store.

Anyway, I bought it right before I was going to bed so I just left my computer on all night to finish the 7gb download. I plan to start it up after I get home tonight and eat dinner, but is there anything I should know before starting the game? Is the consensus that the controls are better with an Xbox 360 controller than a Keyboard / Mouse?

The Chef said:

Definitely worth it. Having no hud is great. I wish they would fix up the enemies a bit more though.

Is the anime worth watching of Dead Space?

Returners

CharpyImpact said:
Definitely worth it. Having no hud is great. I wish they would fix up the enemies a bit more though.

Is the anime worth watching of Dead Space?

Its good. The anime tells of story right before the ship gets taken over (
shows how the captain got killed, how a distress beacon was sent out for issac's team to pick it up
)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. I'm impressed. Really impressed.

I just put in about an hour and a half into the game and I am really liking it. I bought it on Steam and am running it with maximum settings in 1920x1200 resolution and it looks really nice. Runs very smooth too. The lighting in this game is really impressive and helps a lot in creating the scary-as-shit atmosphere.

The atmosphere kind of reminds me a lot of Doom 3, but much more well done.

I can't wait to play more, but alas I must sleep and go to work in the morning. I haven't felt this good about an action / adventure game since I first played Resident Evil 4. What an amazing game so far.

Sysgen

I'm on my 3rd play through playing on Impossible and I can't say for sure that the 3rd time will be my last. The more I've played the more I've enjoyed the game. Each play through has presented a different type of challenge and the game keeps fresh. First time through on medium, used all of the different weapons but only leveled the force gun, second time through on medium continued my 1st game and used only a fully leveled plasma cutter. This 3rd time through I'm leveling the rifle and the ripper and playing on Impossible. Also I never buy additional content but I got the Steampunk Force gun and the astronaut pack. The level of detail is great, the story telling is great, the voice overs are great, the graphics and lighting (oh such gorgeous lighting) are fantastic. The limb dismemberment mechanic is very addictive. Finding new ways to use weapons makes the game deep. When I voted here for GOTY I hadn't played this yet but this is easily one of my top 2 games of 2008.

fanboi

Banned
Fuck.. I hate riding a elevator in this game
because everytime Im sure something will fall down through the roof :|

Sysgen

Returners said:
How are the packs anyway? Do they add anything to the gameplay? I thought its just for "show"

I found the default Force gun severley lacking when you acquire it. The Steam Punk Force gun packs a wallop right out of the box plus you can level it. There are other packs with faster and stronger weapons that I'm not interested in. Also note that the astronaut pack gave me access to the ripper and rifle at the beginning of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
fanboi said:
Fuck.. I hate riding a elevator in this game
because everytime Im sure something will fall down through the roof :|

I'm only about an hour and a half into the game, but I am already scared as shit entering any elevators or new areas. The game really has a tense atmosphere. I am playing with the lights off in my room for maximum effect, bt I don't know if I will be able to handle much more than an hour at a time for this game.

Totally awesome.

El-Suave

I started Dead Space because I couldn't get into the mood for Fallout last weekend for some reason, and I just finished it.

Wow, what an excellent game!

I totally underestimated how good it actually is and the stupid dismemberment demo turned me off on top of that.
One of the developers said on 1up FM that they made ammo scarce to help heighten the tension - I would have hated that game mechanic. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as I feared; not bad at all in fact as I always had more than enough ammo and piles of money to buy additional plasma rounds (I played through it using only the Plasma Cutter).

I downloaded the PS3 Obsidian Suit while it was free when the game launched and that seemed really useful and saved me tons of credits I think as I never needed to buy new suits. I wish more publishers would give away cool stuff like this as launch buy incentives, even if sales for Dead Space weren't spectacular.

I liked pretty much everything about the game: superb graphics both technical and in design, excellent sound, to my surprise a great story with good plot twists and excellent playability. The only criticism I can think of is that the game as a whole may be a bit derivative following Bioshock just a year later, but other than that I'm really impressed.

Had I played this in 2008 it would have made my top 5 games list of that year. I hope Resident Evil can match this game's quality in march.

Nizz

El-Suave said:
I started Dead Space because I couldn't get into the mood for Fallout last weekend for some reason, and I just finished it.

Wow, what an excellent game!

I totally underestimated how good it actually is and the stupid dismemberment demo turned me off on top of that.
One of the developers said on 1up FM that they made ammo scarce to help heighten the tension - I would have hated that game mechanic. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as I feared; not bad at all in fact as I always had more than enough ammo and piles of money to buy additional plasma rounds (I played through it using only the Plasma Cutter).

I downloaded the PS3 Obsidian Suit while it was free when the game launched and that seemed really useful and saved me tons of credits I think as I never needed to buy new suits. I wish more publishers would give away cool stuff like this as launch buy incentives, even if sales for Dead Space weren't spectacular.

I liked pretty much everything about the game: superb graphics both technical and in design, excellent sound, to my surprise a great story with good plot twists and excellent playability. The only criticism I can think of is that the game as a whole may be a bit derivative following Bioshock just a year later, but other than that I'm really impressed.

Had I played this in 2008 it would have made my top 5 games list of that year. I hope Resident Evil can match this game's quality in march.
Haha, I did the exact same thing! :D It was available a couple of days before the game released, but I didn't get the game till December on Christmas day. I think that suit looks damn sexy myself, love the shiny black. :D I didn't finish the game till early January, but I'd still go as far as saying that this was my game of 2008. Everything was so polished: the UI, the graphics, the sound, the controls (god bless EA Redwood for putting fire on R1). Quality stuff. I really don't know what direction they can take in a sequel, it felt "complete" to me as is. But I'd love to go for another round in this universe.

Best game I've played since Twilight Princess. I played on Hard, and thought that it was the perfect difficulty for me. I would die some, but the game never felt cheap. I really don't have anything negative to say about it, and that's very rare for me.

soldat7

fps fanatic said:
Haha, I did the exact same thing! :D It was available a couple of days before the game released, but I didn't get the game till December on Christmas day. I think that suit looks damn sexy myself, love the shiny black. :D

I too downloaded the Obsidian suit when it was free...I think I'm going to buy the PS3 version as well...that suit does indeed look mighty fine.

dionusos

Banned
So what was up with the very last scene? The scene where the girl in the corner jumps at you? She didn't look infected, and I don't know who she was.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
spoiler tag it, douche. ^^^

it was Nicole, dude... there were only like 5 characters in the whole game

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Just beat this last night on Hard (first playthrough), and I loved it. One of the best games I've played in recent memory. It absolutely nailed so many of the qualities that I value in games -- the atmosphere was perfect, the difficulty ramped up nicely, the plot was at least moderately interesting and moved things along -- and only really faltered in a few minor areas. Overall, an excellent experience.

Gowans

I've kept out of this thread till now.

I left this game till now to play and I have just completed it.

It would have been my game of the year, a total masterpiece, a tonne of fun, keeps you in the action and on the end of your seat and the sound and visuals are stunning.

I think this is the most cinematic game out there at the mo (including MGS4). Amazing!

A step up from Gears, Bioshock anything else close to its genre. Loved it can't wait to play again.

jon bones

dionusos said:
Sorry guys my bad. Anyway, anyone know the answer?
What was up with that girl at the end who jumps at you?

pay more attention to 1) the game and 2) my last post addressing you

I'm on chapter 7 now and I was wondering if it was worth using the DLC Obsidian suit, what are the advantages to this and also how many suit levels are there as I am still using level 3

El-Suave

Ken Masters said:
I'm on chapter 7 now and I was wondering if it was worth using the DLC Obsidian suit, what are the advantages to this and also how many suit levels are there as I am still using level 3

The Obsidian suit has you covered as far as suit upgrades go since you can't buy any in the shop anymore when you're wearing it. I think the suits range up to level 5 so the Obsidian suit should be a level 5 suit then. Through this they automatically give you the best suit with the most item slots on your first playthrough almost right from the start. That saves you in game money which you can spend on other things.

Once you've finished the game there is
an additional suit to buy for lots of money (I think it was 99000 credits)
as part of the "New Game +" option the game offers.
The military suit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Am I correct in assuming that the DLC for the console versions is not available for the PC?

Returners

El-Suave said:
The Obsidian suit has you covered as far as suit upgrades go since you can't buy any in the shop anymore when you're wearing it. I think the suits range up to level 5 so the Obsidian suit should be a level 5 suit then. Through this they automatically give you the best suit with the most item slots on your first playthrough almost right from the start. That saves you in game money which you can spend on other things.

Once you've finished the game there is
an additional suit to buy for lots of money (I think it was 99000 credits)
as part of the "New Game +" option the game offers.
The military suit.

I know
The military suit.
is the top level one (6?) and is the only level 6 suit. The Obsidian suit is 1 level lower than that.

Torquill

AlStrong said:
Especially if they sometimes turn out to be innocent folk too. :D
You could do some pretty intense stuff. This monster jumps out at you and you kill it (nay, dismember it) and then the haze fades away and it turns out to be a kid. That would screw with my head.

Holy shit. I bought this back during the B2G1 TRU deal, and it's been sitting on my backlog ever since. I've ignored the thread to avoid any spoilers, granted it's rather predictable anyways.

I started playing it today... I'm early into chapter 3 and I've never played a game that has made me jump so often. Even when I know something is coming. BOOM! AHHHH! Shit! :lol

Fun game so far. :D

aparisi2274

Just a quick question..

I am at Stage 9 playing on medium.

I had a question about how to tackle the last few stages.

I currently have the level 4 Rig, and I see there is a level 5 rig for about 60,000cred. Is It absolutely necessary to have the Level 5 Rig to beat the game?

I am also thinking about selling off some guns to get cred to purchase ammo and or nodes to really max out the cutter for the last boss. Is that a good idea as well?

Thanks all...

ezekial45

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Just a quick question..

I currently have the level 4 Rig, and I see there is a level 5 rig for about 60,000cred. Is It absolutely necessary to have the Level 5 Rig to beat the game?

I am also thinking about selling off some guns to get cred to purchase ammo and or nodes to really max out the cutter for the last boss. Is that a good idea as well?

Thanks all...

Don't. You'll get enough by the time you get there.

Returners

aparisi2274 said:
Just a quick question..

Thanks all...

Depends, are you doing a pistol run?

and you still have a few chapters to go, don't worry about it till then.

Sysgen

Lord Helmet said:
Holy shit. I bought this back during the B2G1 TRU deal, and it's been sitting on my backlog ever since. I've ignored the thread to avoid any spoilers, granted it's rather predictable anyways.

I started playing it today... I'm early into chapter 3 and I've never played a game that has made me jump so often. Even when I know something is coming. BOOM! AHHHH! Shit! :lol

Fun game so far. :D

I've played the game 3X through and even on my 3rd run I was jumping. Also even on my 3rd run I was finding hidden goodies all over the place.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i picked this up day one, played the shit out of it on hard for about a week and a half, and got to chapter 8. then, fallout 3 came out. 60 hours later, i tried to go back to dead space, only to find that i had forgotten how to be good at it and couldn't progress, so i put it off for three months or so. restarted and now i'm on chapter four, listening to old episodes of the /filmcast and having a good snow day.

the video game equivalent of the page-turner, it's really hard to stop playing once you get in the groove. a perfectly paced game, great combat, incredible style, and production values that put other horror games (and hell, action games, for that matter) to shame. even if someone wants to level the criticism that it's a hodgepodge of sci-fi and horror cliches, it's a beautifully composed hodgepodge.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
without question. and where it falls short in some respects to bioshock's storytelling, it trounces it in the core gameplay department.

jon bones

After beating DS and going back to finish RE4... and I'm torn.

I loved Dead Space, and while the combat felt more visceral than RE4's, the environments do seem repetitive by comparison. I've already seen more variety in my brief time revisiting RE4 than the entirety of DS. Hopefully they add something new for Dead Space 2.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
jon bones said:
After beating DS and going back to finish RE4... and I'm torn.

I loved Dead Space, and while the combat felt more visceral than RE4's, the environments do seem repetitive by comparison. I've already seen more variety in my brief time revisiting RE4 than the entirety of DS. Hopefully they add something new for Dead Space 2.

Well there's only so much you can do inside a giant space ship without having holo-decks and shit.

Besides, RE4 pulls a lot of shitty cliche's out of its ass in terms of settings... creepy village, creepy foresty bit, creepy caves, creepy castle... oh and of course creepy wooden walkways... everywhere!

Top Bottom