• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Returners

pr0cs said:
I finished the story the other night, what a great game.
This is why I still play a lot of single player games, what a ride. The end was awesome.
So many good things with the game really, lots of little things they put in the game, in the story, in the graphics and sound that really add to the vibe of the game.
I need to replay it to get the rest of the achievements and do a lot more exploring, took me just over 13 hours to complete the game on medium and I tried to be proactive in upgrading my equipment (junk hoarder) and looking for power nodes.

I also noticed late in the game on the wall there was a chart matching the alien language 1-1 to english alphabet. I was seriously tempted to take a shot and decypher some of the writings on the wall for shits and giggles.

I remember somewhere in this thread a lot of stuff has already been deciphered.

There's actually a decoder in Level 1, on the floor by the bathroom. I copied it there and have been using it to decode all the messages I see (I'm only on level 4 so far...I'm really slow to play horror games).

soldat7

codecow said:
You should judge the game on its own merits. It's from the same studio but not the same team although some folks who worked on Dead Space are now (and have been) working on Dante's Inferno.

That's because the other team is busy working on Dead Space 2, amirite? :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After playing the RE5 demo last week, I was like I'm going to get Dead Space, so on the weekend I got it, I haven't played much of it yet, but what I did I liked.

Nizz

Beaulieu said:
wow
Im playing this game with all lights off and the 5.1 sound system at 11, and let me tell you that i crap in my pants about 1 time every 30 seconds.

It's been a long time that a game did that to me (last was fatal frame)
:lol :lol This game also made me jump a couple of times! I want to give the game some room so that I can play it again and I'll have forgotten the spots that made me jump. ;) This is the first game that's actually made me want to get every Trophy in it. :D

Random question on my first playthrough: I see a lot of locked lockers (red light instead of blue). Is there any way to open them? Also I've seen a few locked doors--like the one by the tram at the end of Chapter 1, and one in a hallway in Chapter 2, with no discernible way of opening them. Are they unlocked on a second playthrough, or do I return to them later in the game, or something? Just wondering.

I'll say this about Dead Space: It's so good it made me, a seasoned keyboard+mouse veteran, learn to put up with dual-analog controls because the mouse control sucking fucks. Most games I wouldn't have the patience.

soldat7

faceless007 said:
Random question on my first playthrough: I see a lot of locked lockers (red light instead of blue). Is there any way to open them? Also I've seen a few locked doors--like the one by the tram at the end of Chapter 1, and one in a hallway in Chapter 2, with no discernible way of opening them. Are they unlocked on a second playthrough, or do I return to them later in the game, or something? Just wondering.

Some of them will become available later on. Otherwise, you can't open them.

pr0cs

Returners said:
I remember somewhere in this thread a lot of stuff has already been deciphered.
Any recollection on what page that would be? I don't know if I'm capable of wading through a 100 page thread.
mayhaps I'll just do some googling to see if it's listed someplace else.

Dibbz

Guess what I finally bought today. :D

3250893409_dc4c544b49.jpg

I got it signed by Ian Milham (Art Director for Dead Space). Very happy with the game so far. First time you see space is amazing. :D

vegee

Banned
I got this game a couple weeks ago and finally got around to playing it.

Gotta say...I'm not a fan of games that spurn large amounts of anxiety. Games where things jump out at you, games that create atmospheres that make you feel uneasy...I just have a hard time playing them. Maybe it's some anxiety disorder, not sure.

But for some reason, even though this game scares the crap out of me and makes me feel this ceaseless, escalating sense of impending doom, I'm oddly compelled to finish it and take in as much of the backstory as I possibly can.

I'm actually loving the fact that you never feel safe. That every corner I approach might have an event that will make me shit my pants. Even better, every corner I approach might hold nothing and a jump moment will come seemingly at random.

I love the fact that the sounds of aliens are all around you. They're stalking your every move, biding their time until they feel the need to strike. Some of the most nerve-wracking shit is when you're walking around a corridor and you hear skittering coming from the walls. You stop and wait to see if anything is going to happen...all the while, the skittering getting closer. And just when you expect something to jump out, the skittering stops and goes away. Nothing friggin' happens. But the next time you hear that, something might.

Hell, the game even screws with you visually. I've watched a good number of monsters run around corners, hop in vents, or disappear over ledges. I always expect to get attacked by them, but it's not always guaranteed. It's just little things the developers put into the game to keep you at a constant state of unease.

Soooooooo goooooooood.

Dibbz

Yeah I agree the atmosphere they create with sounds visuals is great. It breaks away from the usual demons spawn behind you every time ala Doom which is a great thing. Currently stuck on some massive thing attached to a wall. He keeps taking my head off :(

Dibbz

Well just completed Dead Space. Good game but there were some flaws with it. Thought they ruined the atmosphere by throwing masses of enemies at you :|

Quick question. What happened to
the guy who was killing people on the ship? The church leader guy or whatever? They showed his face getting eaten by those face sucker things but I didn't even get to fight him.
:|

BeeDog

Dibbz said:
Well just completed Dead Space. Good game but there were some flaws with it. Thought they ruined the atmosphere by throwing masses of enemies at you :|

the guy who was killing people on the ship? The church leader guy or whatever? They showed his face getting eaten by those face sucker things but I didn't even get to fight him.

You do,
right after you leave the ship area, seconds after watching that video. It's the enemy near the bench, he becomes a regular black version of the basic monster. When you kill him a little heroic 24-esque melody plays.

Atrus

Gold Member
Dibbz said:

Sure you did. He's the first thing you fight as soon as that cutscene was over. Just pay attention to what the corpse being turned was wearing.

Dammit, I'm stuck in Chapter 7. Anyone got any tips for the part where you have to
help Nicole survive from across the platform by shooting a thousand necromorphs? There are just too many (playing on Medium) and the fact that I really suck with dual-analog controls doesn't help.
My current guns are Plasma Cutter, Line Gun and Contact Beam. I have plenty of credits to buy another if it will help.

Sysgen

faceless007 said:
Dammit, I'm stuck in Chapter 7. Anyone got any tips for the part where you have to
help Nicole survive from across the platform by shooting a thousand necromorphs? There are just too many (playing on Medium) and the fact that I really suck with dual-analog controls doesn't help.
My current guns are Plasma Cutter, Line Gun and Contact Beam. I have plenty of credits to buy another if it will help.

Well I did the whole game with only the Plasma Cutter so that should be good enough. The line gun would work also though you would have to reload more frequently. Don't forget you can use body parts as weapons. When the enemy appears on your side use stasis and concentrate on the ghoulies attacking the girl. This really isn't a big deal.

Fuck, I can now say that this game is capable of causing genuine fear.

Up to now, I was enjoying the hell out of it, found it mildly creepy but not much more, and I wanted to keep playing 'cause it was really fun. Then, for some reason, on the tram ride back from the scene I named above (thanks for the tips guys, it wasn't as hard as it seemed), the annoying-ness of the enemies and the frustrating nature of aiming gave way to pants-shitting paranoia. I don't know why; they're just the same necromorphs I've been blasting the entire game, but the combination of being stuck on this slow tram car, having lurkers on both sides of the track (they weren't there on the first trip!), and as you're nearing the end of the track, a few more suddenly waiting for you right there--for the first time in a while, I began to feel actual fear creep up on me.

I don't know why that particular encounter did it, but now I'm sitting here in the dark at 2 a.m. and scared to go to the bathroom.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
faceless007 said:

Up to now, I was enjoying the hell out of it, found it mildly creepy but not much more, and I wanted to keep playing 'cause it was really fun. Then, for some reason, on the tram ride back from the scene I named above (thanks for the tips guys, it wasn't as hard as it seemed), the annoying-ness of the enemies and the frustrating nature of aiming gave way to pants-shitting paranoia. I don't know why; they're just the same necromorphs I've been blasting the entire game, but the combination of being stuck on this slow tram car, having lurkers on both sides of the track (they weren't there on the first trip!), and as you're nearing the end of the track, a few more suddenly waiting for you right there--for the first time in a while, I began to feel actual fear creep up on me.

I don't know why that particular encounter did it, but now I'm sitting here in the dark at 2 a.m. and scared to go to the bathroom.
I had totally forgotten about that sequence. Thanks for reminding me. :D

I love this game, so much.

me Jojo

faceless007 said:

Impossible mode lives up to its name on this one. Took me a couple of tries. Really annoying. D:

Also regarding your previous post I really recommend you get a Force Gun.
Its secondairy firing option shoots a grenade (which immediatly explodes upon contact with the enemy) that does quite a lot of damage. (takes about 12 of them on a fully upgraded Force Gun to kill an enhanced brute in impossible mode) It pushes Isaac to the ground if he's too close near the target though, so use the primairy fire mode to push enemies away from you should they get too close.

The Force Gun's primairy fire mode also instantly kills swarmers and divider's body parts (divider is later in the game, but its parts roam about earlier in the game) with a single hit.

LakeEarth

I recently tried the demo and kept dying against the first wave of monsters. Very embarrasing. I'm just wondering if the demo is a good indicator of the game, because after 3 tries and every med pack the game gives you, I got a pretty negative experience with the game. Looked cool though, I was probably just doing something wrong.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
was the demo awesome? if so, it's a good indicator of the game's quality.
if it wasn't awesome, the demo sucks and you should just buy the game and agree with me.

-viper-

Banned
LakeEarth said:
I recently tried the demo and kept dying against the first wave of monsters. Very embarrasing. I'm just wondering if the demo is a good indicator of the game, because after 3 tries and every med pack the game gives you, I got a pretty negative experience with the game. Looked cool though, I was probably just doing something wrong.
Full game doesn't feature endless waves of respawning enemies. I think its quite easy to be honest (at least on Normal its a fairly easy game).

Haven't tried any of the harder difficulties though.

Anyway, the full game is a far better experience. BUY IT.

vegee

Banned
Just beat it. EPIC game.

Although, I do agree with the guy above in regards to the amount of enemies later on. In trying to ramp up the difficulty, they completely negated parts of the game that were designed to creep you out.

Case in point, after I beat the game, I went through the first chapter to get the level six suit upgrade. I was genuinely freaked out again, despite the fact that I had already played it once. The fact that you know the necromorphs aren't going to be coming at you 3-4 at a time in almost every single room makes their appearances a little more "terrifying" than they had been for the last half of the game.

The scare factor sort of turned into a hilarity factor after awhile. Especially when it came to those guys with the explosive balls on their left hand. When they screamed, it reminded me of a constipated goat. :lol

Now I have to watch the web episodes and Downfall.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
beelzebozo said:
was the demo awesome? if so, it's a good indicator of the game's quality.
if it wasn't awesome, the demo sucks and you should just buy the game and agree with me.

I haven't played it myself but I hear the demo completely sucks. Supposedly it's just a combat demo with waves of enemies coming at you, no slice of the actual game. They should've just put a part of the first chapter up.

ravien56

Darunia said:
I haven't played it myself but I hear the demo completely sucks. Supposedly it's just a combat demo with waves of enemies coming at you, no slice of the actual game. They should've just put a part of the first chapter up.
so the demo isnt a level in the actual game? I kept trying to beat the demo, and they just kept coming, really turned me off for the game, thinking i might get this now, so the game doesnt have levels like that?

Dibbz

BeeDog said:
You do,
right after you leave the ship area, seconds after watching that video. It's the enemy near the bench, he becomes a regular black version of the basic monster. When you kill him a little heroic 24-esque melody plays.
I should probably replay the game because I missed out on tons of stuff. I usually pay very close attention to what's going on in games but for some reason the way it was convayed to me in Dead Space made me lose focus of what was actually being said.

I think the ability to walk around where ever you want is why I lost track of what people were saying to me. I was too busy walking around corridoors to bother listening to the conversation going on.

@mh56 that level is part of the game and it's early on in the to. The entire game is not like that but it does seem to fall back onto it quite a lot towards the end of the game. Still worth playing the game though because it's on it's way to becoming a very very good survival horror game.

vegee

Banned
mh56 said:
so the demo isnt a level in the actual game? I kept trying to beat the demo, and they just kept coming, really turned me off for the game, thinking i might get this now, so the game doesnt have levels like that?

There are levels that throw a few waves of enemies at you, but nothing you can't really handle. It only gets REALLY crazy at the end, but by that point, you've got a system worked out and can dispatch things without too much trouble.

I can't speak for Hard/Impossible modes...

vegee

Banned
Dibbz said:
I think the ability to walk around where ever you want is why I lost track of what people were saying to me. I was too busy walking around corridoors to bother listening to the conversation going on.

I didn't even realize that a video screen came up when your crew members talked to you because I never took my finger off the aim button. It's really easy to miss seeing those videos because of this. I blame this on the game and it's ability to make you think that you're always going to be attacked by something.

Mardil

There's one design choice of this game that I absolutely love, and that is that the developers gave the player the choice to find its way to wherever he needs to go with a click of a button. Although it discourages exploration, it's a great idea and should be done by more developers.

Brakara

Darunia said:

Yeah, why they didn't do a BioShock style demo is beyond me. The current demo almost made me not buy it, which is kinda the opposite of what demos are supposed to accomplish.

So I picked up the PC version today and for some reason my left mouse button doesn't work in-game. It's ok on menus and stuff, but I can't use it to melee or shoot. Any ideas?

Edit: Looks like I had to unplug my controller!

Vitten

Some people found a cool glitch which makes the game a lot easier on Impossible.

It's near the end of level 3 where you have to descend a large room covered with organic stuff.
At the bottom of this room there's a slamming door which needs stasis to get through and a storage room which only opens with a power node.
Use a power node to open the storage room and you'll find all sorts of goodies inside. The thing you're looking for is the 5k credit; use kinesis on it to lift it up but don't pick it up! Instead drag it outside the room and drop it just in front of the slamming doors.

Now use stasis to go through this door, defeat the ennemies in the corridor and use the save station at the end of the corridor. Reload your game and run back to the slamming door. Stay inside the corridor and use kinesis to drag the 5k credit through the slamming doors and drop it inside the corridor ( again, don't pick it up ! ).
Now run back to the save station and simply run up against but don't save ! You just want the save message to appear with the little tune and that's all..

And now when you run back to the slamming doors you'll notice the 5k credit has respawned outside :). So rince and repat: drag it inside with kinesis , drop it, run to the save station then back etc...

You can do this about 80 times before the credit stops respawning, getting you an early 400k credits :)

TChirath

Neo Member
Thinking about buying it again on PS3 (traded in the 360 version). Can you fully customize the control? I played the PS3 demo and I don't know why they switched the layout of shoulder buttons between 360 and PS3 (LB > L2, RB > R2).

Returners

TChirath said:
Thinking about buying it again on PS3 (traded in the 360 version). Can you fully customize the control? I played the PS3 demo and I don't know why they switched the layout of shoulder buttons between 360 and PS3 (LB > L2, RB > R2).

Nope you can't. Its actually pretty good cause Dead Space is a game about twitch shooting.

Finally got around to getting this for the PC.

What a fantastic game. On chapter 10 atm on hard on first play thru, my only criticisms would be the lack of info on other weapons ingame, how a lot of the other weapons seem to forget all about limb cutting and how ramping up the number of enemies sorta kills the creepiness. Well until the fast ones lol.

Think they've all been mentioned before.

I'm using the plasma cutter, line gun and the pulse rifle mostly. Tried the flame thrower it was useless hard to tell if u are actually doing any damage, doesn't seem to have to knockback of projectiles. So I sold it and got the force gun which I've barely used but I guess it should be useful against the speedy ones. Might try out the ripper.

So anyhoo finished the game today.

ds.jpg

lol, he landed like that after I killed him.

Btw
the general consensus seems to be nicole was dead all along and the end screamer is just another hallucination and thats the line I'd follow too, but I have one question. Right at the end when Isaac gets onto the shuttle the door to the cockpit is locked then suddenly opens. Erm why?

Dunno why people complained about controls on the pc version, worked great for me.

I finally beat this game the other night. First I want to give a big fuck you to the guy in the Dead Space-storytelling thread who spoiled that
Nicole is really dead the whole time. Considering how you spend the last two chapters following her around in person and taking orders from her, the final revelation that you were hallucinating the whole time would have been pretty jaw-dropping if it weren't spoiled.
So fuck you DS spoilers.

Other than that, wow, what an insane last few chapters. The final boss's reveal was awesome, although it's probably a little easy to beat. I will say that the part where you're
held by the tentacle and have to aim in mid air, except your aiming is all screwed up
was so fucking frustrating with the gamepad, I momentarily switched over to mouse control just for that one part. I don't know how you 360/PS3 players did it. Mouse control also made the asteroid-shooting ridiculously easy. :D

So then I started a New Game+ on Medium (I'm too chickenshit to try Hard or Impossible). It's really interesting to me how the game starts out by only having a few enemies attack at a time and as a result they're much more frightening and intimidating, but by the last chapters the game throws so many waves at you that they're no longer as petrifying and you get used to fighting them. So when you start a New Game+ and get to keep all your guns (and remember where most of the early encounters are), they're basically a joke and you can mow them down without flinching. I'm not criticizing this, in fact I think it's a fun way to replay the game. I think it's cool how the game subtly changes your expectations of the necromorphs over the course of the game.

In sum: awesome game. Want sequel please.

Pojo

Banned
I'm going to attempt to beat the game on impossible in a few days, but I have two questions:

1) If I try for the plasma cutter only trophy, can I still use stasis and melee and toss enemies and canisters around? I know obviously not to use other guns.

2) Should I even try to beat it on impossible with just the plasma cutter? It seems like you only get ammo for guns that you own anyway (?), and the plasma cutter was my go to weapon for most of the campaign.

I don't know for sure (PC gamer=don't care about trophies) but since you have to use kinesis and stasis to solve various puzzles I assume they wouldn't count against you.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Vitten said:
Some people found a cool glitch which makes the game a lot easier on Impossible.

It's near the end of level 3 where you have to descend a large room covered with organic stuff.
At the bottom of this room there's a slamming door which needs stasis to get through and a storage room which only opens with a power node.
Use a power node to open the storage room and you'll find all sorts of goodies inside. The thing you're looking for is the 5k credit; use kinesis on it to lift it up but don't pick it up! Instead drag it outside the room and drop it just in front of the slamming doors.

Now use stasis to go through this door, defeat the ennemies in the corridor and use the save station at the end of the corridor. Reload your game and run back to the slamming door. Stay inside the corridor and use kinesis to drag the 5k credit through the slamming doors and drop it inside the corridor ( again, don't pick it up ! ).
Now run back to the save station and simply run up against but don't save ! You just want the save message to appear with the little tune and that's all..

And now when you run back to the slamming doors you'll notice the 5k credit has respawned outside :). So rince and repat: drag it inside with kinesis , drop it, run to the save station then back etc...

You can do this about 80 times before the credit stops respawning, getting you an early 400k credits :)
OMGOMGOMG.gif

rmecgn

Neo Member
Pojo said:
I'm going to attempt to beat the game on impossible in a few days, but I have two questions:

1) If I try for the plasma cutter only trophy, can I still use stasis and melee and toss enemies and canisters around? I know obviously not to use other guns.

2) Should I even try to beat it on impossible with just the plasma cutter? It seems like you only get ammo for guns that you own anyway (?), and the plasma cutter was my go to weapon for most of the campaign.

1) That is not a problem

2) I beat it on impossible mode with just the plasma cutter. Just sell the ammo that you pick up for the other guns and spend it on power nodes and other stuff that you need...

Pojo

Banned
Cool. One last question, I promise. :p

They have some codes you can input while the game is paused (says so on GameFAQs, anyway) to get like 5 free nodes, some cash, etc. Does this impact the ability to get trophies? It's not a big deal, but I'm scared to try it.:D

Arsenic

Pojo said:
Cool. One last question, I promise. :p

They have some codes you can input while the game is paused (says so on GameFAQs, anyway) to get like 5 free nodes, some cash, etc. Does this impact the ability to get trophies? It's not a big deal, but I'm scared to try it.:D
Haha i want to know this as well.
Except I already used the codes, just hoping it works out well (but im only on Chapter 2)

Another question, and this is important to me, but if you upgrade your weapons (for the upgrade all weapons + equipment trophy), will that mess up the "beat the game using only your plasma gun" trophy? I dont know what they mean exactly by "using".

Just got selected for this game off goozex so it should be in my mailbox very soon. One question, should i just skip right ot hard? or is it like really really hard at that level to get through?

Red

TrAcEr_x90 said:
also i have the obsidian suit downloaded ready for this game. If i install that will it gimp me in any way in the game?
You will be less afraid :lol

The DLC suits take away some of the tension since you aren't struggling to survive quite as delicately. Besides that, everything is the same.

To earlier posters:
Codes don't affect achievements, so I'm guessing they don't affect trophies.

Top Bottom