• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

ridiculous amount of polish on this game. the controls are an extremely excellent evolution of the re4 control scheme--arguably better than the ones in that game's direct successor. as a complete experience, it turned out far better than i ever expected it to, though i was a champion of the game's potential from square one.

you really have to hand it to the fledgeling team, as they delivered something of a quality that normally only comes from a developer's third or fourth game at the earliest.

QFT

My GOTY 2008.

Fantastic experience, and first in line for a replay once my living room renovations are completed and my new surround sound set up is in place!

Welp. Stuck on chapter 4
shooting down the asteroids
. Anyone have any tips? After 9 tries I still can't get this thing beaten, may just have to send it back to gamefly.

Core407

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Welp. Stuck on chapter 4
. Anyone have any tips? After 9 tries I still can't get this thing beaten, may just have to send it back to gamefly.

Focus on the larger clusters I guess. Nothing really left to say, it's probably the shittiest part of the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Check your brightness settings. If too low, it's hard to see distant asteroids and you want to see those as soon as possible. If you are playing the PS3 version, disable RGB option in video settings.

Fady K

gollumsluvslave said:
QFT

My GOTY 2008.

Fantastic experience, and first in line for a replay once my living room renovations are completed and my new surround sound set up is in place!

While not my GOTY 2008, this was easily one of the best games I have played through, and the one game that turned me into a believer in EA. SO awesome. Possibly some of the best use of sound in a 'horror' game too. The only gripe I *really* had with the game is the story could have gone places, but unfortunately the muting of the protagonist hurt the plot for me. Can't wait for the possible sequel. Looking forward to Extraction as well.

Replicant

Finally finished that game. It feels glorious knowing that after fighting all of those annoying monsters (the last few prior to final boss are complete nightmares), the last boss is fun (and rather easy) to fight.

I am slightly disappointed that I never get to know Isaac on a more personal basis since he always put his helmet on and act like a tool for everyone else to order around. And yeah, the control is awesome. Better than RE5.

Alright GAF, I'm about ready to put down KZ2 for a bit a need some opinions as to which game I should dive into first. I guess the only thing that one should know about my gaming habits is that I usually play games to total completion (IE; I will probably stay with whatever game I decide until I have recieved a platinum trophy or got as close as my gaming skills allow.) I usually don't play more than one game at once so I'm not into diving back and forth between the two either...So, does playing one completely ruin the experience of the other? Does it even matter?

DB

Xater

DodgerBlue said:
Alright GAF, I'm about ready to put down KZ2 for a bit a need some opinions as to which game I should dive into first. I guess the only thing that one should know about my gaming habits is that I usually play games to total completion (IE; I will probably stay with whatever game I decide until I have recieved a platinum trophy or got as close as my gaming skills allow.) I usually don't play more than one game at once so I'm not into diving back and forth between the two either...So, does playing one completely ruin the experience of the other? Does it even matter?

DB

Dead Space is the better game. If you played it all you can see are the flaws in RE5.

Philanthropist said:
They are very different games, but Dead Space is the only horror game of the two.

Yeah, from what I understand Deadspace is without question a more "survival horror" type of experience while RE5 has turned more action orientated. This is fine and I get that it does making drawing a comparisons more difficult but with that being said, does the over quality or level of enjoyment of one title far outweigh the other?

I should also note that the versus mode and the co-op modes for RE5 have next to no appeal for me. I'm far more of a solo gamer.

DB

Des0lar

will learn eventually
DodgerBlue said:
Yeah, from what I understand Deadspace is without question a more "survival horror" type of experience while RE5 has turned more action orientated. This is fine and I get that it does making drawing a comparisons more difficult but with that being said, does the over quality or level of enjoyment of one title far outweigh the other?

I should also note that the versus mode and the co-op modes for RE5 have next to no appeal for me. I'm far more of a solo gamer.

DB
Dead Space is the better game. Get it. That's all I have to say.

Also you should stop signing your posts. It's better for the sake of your account

Ledsen

DodgerBlue said:

DB

I had much more fun with Dead Space, and I played RE5 in co-op. I imagine it's quite crappy in single player. Get Dead Space.

I prefer RE5. Dead Space has better combat and movement and all that, but the level design and missions are much worse. RE5 has way more variety in it's gameplay. Something new is always thrown at you, where I feel Dead Space falls into the "walk down corridor, go into room, clear it out, press button ad nauseam" trap that so many action games fall into.

DestinRL

O.K. this is like a sign that I need to pop in Dead Space today and finish it. I'm right by the Zero G basketball courts. Stupid baby freaky monsters....

Prezhulio

hadn't really thought about comparing RE5 and dead space in my head till now, and wow, does dead space take the cake even with RE5's bonus feature rich content. dead space is.....just amazing

bottles

Prezhulio said:
hadn't really thought about comparing RE5 and dead space in my head till now, and wow, does dead space take the cake even with RE5's bonus feature rich content. dead space is.....just amazing

I agree. My #2 game this gen.

Nizz

DestinRL said:
O.K. this is like a sign that I need to pop in Dead Space today and finish it. I'm right by the Zero G basketball courts. Stupid baby freaky monsters....
Do it, man! My favorite game of 08. :D

Finally got 1000 gamerscore on this one. Finished the game on impossible with just the plasma cutter, unlocked those final two achievements. Jeez that was a bitch.

Mindlog

DestinRL said:

I still want an expanded zero G basketball PSN/Live game.

AKS

I am half way through Impossible after playing through everything else. I managed to power up the ripper and line gun to the point that it's not frustratingly difficult. The ripper seems to be the most effective and efficient (requires minimal ammo and really tears through limbs) weapon for dealing with the lesser enemies, and the line gun devastates the stronger enemies.

Just started this game back up after taking a break from killzone 2. This game creeps me the f out!!! Only comin up to the 4th chapter now. I loooove the look of the game and most of all, the CONTROLS! Just perfect to me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Going to start this one tonight, it's been sitting in my backlog for months.

Any tips (difficulty settings, controls swap..), anything at all that I should know to enjoy the games at its fullest?

I'm going in :D

Atrus

Gold Member
Dash Kappei said:

Any tips (difficulty settings, controls swap..), anything at all that I should know to enjoy the games at its fullest?

Volume up, lights down. Don't play anything lower than Normal, try to play when it's quiet, and if you can, check out the Dead Space Comics on PSN first to set the mood.

Itching to play this again. 360 RRoD on level 10.

I'll have to try and find a good deal on the PS3 version.

One of my favorite games to come along in a LONG time.

Yeah, watch the animated comics first (they're on GameTrailers, six issues total), they'll give you some context for the story.

If you're playing on PC, make sure V-sync is turned off in the options (turn it on in your drivers instead).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I posted a long time ago with all of my impressions, but yeah: this game is awesome. The dev team who made this at EA deserve to move on to bigger and better things. Stellar stuff.

DodgerBlue said:

DB

Dead Space blows RE5 out of the water if you are playing for single-player purposes only.

Dead Space has one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced in a game too.

RE5 still rules though.

funkmastergeneral said:
Welp. Stuck on chapter 4

Dunno if this helps but my first time through I was only using one of the triggers. Use both and it goes a lot faster. Maybe I'm the only dumb one who made that mistake. Also anyone just starting, don't play through the first time on Hard because thats not the one the achievement is for and Easy will unlock the hardest difficulty, so save yourself the trouble.

Oh and lastly, awesome game loved it.

LM4sure

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Welp. Stuck on chapter 4

Send it back. It sounds like you don't like what you've played thus far if something so trivial is making you consider sending it back. Do us all a favor and send it back. I don't want you among the people who have beat Dead Space.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I posted in this thread back in November and will post in it again now, after playing RE5 to death (and loving it).

Dead Space still rules. It scared the utter shit out of me to the point I couldn't play it for more than an hour or two each night..that's how immersive it was. It's funny that Dead Space has basically the same replayability as RE5 does and yet I didn't go through it multiple times right away like I did RE5. However, now that I'm done with RE5 I want to play Dead Space the exact same way. I guess that's the one thing RE5 has over DS.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LM4sure said:
Send it back. It sounds like you don't like what you've played thus far if something so trivial is making you consider sending it back. Do us all a favor and send it back. I don't want you among the people who have beat Dead Space.

Are you crazy?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KilgoreTrout said:
Dead Space blows RE5 out of the water if you are playing for single-player purposes only.

Dead Space has one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced in a game too.

RE5 still rules though.
I feel RE5 offers more variety from a gameplay perspective. DS creates a more moody atmosphere, but overall the objectives you're tasked with completing are really similar throughout.

I don't even like comparing the two. They're like apples and oranges to me from an overall experience standpoint. They're both TPS though, so I guess the comparison is inevitable.

Finding a way to play both games is the best answer to any RE5vDS discussion, anyway. =p

Majmun

Such an awesome game. And it contains so many scares, too.

The ending
with the wife jumping and screaming at your face
was terrifying.

One of my favorite next-gen games. Can't wait to play Extraction and Dead Space 2. I also liked the movie.

Majmun

LM4sure said:
Great game, but c'mon. The movie? Really? It was shite. I couldn't even watch the entire thing.

The movie was a nice flick.

I actually watched the movie before I played the game :p

The ending of the movie really made me want to play the game even more.

Rez said:
I feel RE5 offers more variety from a gameplay perspective. DS creates a more moody atmosphere, but overall the objectives you're tasked with completing are really similar throughout.

I don't even like comparing the two. They're like apples and oranges to me from an overall experience standpoint. They're both TPS though, so I guess the comparison is inevitable.

Finding a way to play both games is the best answer to any RE5vDS discussion, anyway. =p

I will without question be playing both as I already have both but the consensus seems to be to go with Deadspace and get to RE5 a little bit latter.

Thank you fellas, I shall be posting here to update the progress in the comming weeks.

hteng

Banned
i think the sci-fi background and gothic designs, dark corridors was something new/fresh. The atmosphere and sound were perfect, when something jumps out the music was intense, the rest of the time it was dead silence

Majmun

AlStrong said:
Gave me the chills in some moments, especially
the part when the woman gets wtfpwned with the energy blade and gets cut in two... O_O

Yeah, that was so sad. :(

But the movie and the game shared different views of some of the Ishimura scenario's.

like the part where the captain gets stabbed in the eye with the needle. It looked pretty stupid in the game :p

And I really loved the relationship between Isaac and his wife. Sometimes it felt like a psychological horror game.

You hear her voice in your head and in the end you figure out she was dead all the time. I actually knew something wasn't right between the two every time I saw her. It was so eerie.

Kccitystar

I have to say, when you simplify the plot, this game fucking rules.

I mean, you're a guy who gets sent to repair a ship infested with aliens, and because you are an engineer, all you have are modified hardware tools designed to ruin everyone's shit. How badass is that?

Shurs

I picked this up in the clearance section at Target for $40. I've had no time to play it this weekend. Looking forward to diving in next week.

ukiraros

I had this game for awhile. I played this after I finished RE5 and all I can say is man this game kicks RE5's ass. The controls is so tight and smooth, and the game is actually scary. Everytime I entered a new hallway I always hold fown the L1 just in case if something comes at me from out of nowhere. All can say is this game is damn amazing.

Right now I'm on chapter 12 on Impossible and for some reason I can't move the Marker. It's the part after you kill the brute. It's as if the gate is still there even though I opened it. Is this bug? I'm playing the PS3 version.

soldat7

Dash Kappei said:

- Use only the Plasma Cutter. Nothing else.
- Play it loud.
- Play it alone.

phez

Banned
i harped on this game for being ... well, not really scary. i also despised the game's over abuse of 'go find x and insert into y' bullshit. but i dunno ... there's something about this game that kept me playing. im glad i did as the end part of this game is just a piece of art. see gif in above posts.

Top Bottom