• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Sean

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
also i have the obsidian suit downloaded ready for this game. If i install that will it gimp me in any way in the game?

I think that I read that while the DLC suits have better stats at first, they can't be upgraded as much or something like that? Shouldn't really make a big difference though unless your playing on Hard.

Diuretic

Sean said:
I think that I read that while the DLC suits have better stats at first, they can't be upgraded as much or something like that? Shouldn't really make a big difference though unless your playing on Hard.

Yeah, according to the Dead Space wiki the Obsidian Suit only has 10% damage resistance (normally you would be able to work up to 20% DR, and the downloadable Tank Suit has an absurd 60% DR). But I think the early part of the game is the hardest anyway, so having a DR boost along with max inventory early is a good trade-off. The enemies become much more manageable later on once you have some upgraded stasis and weapons going.

You know, I was pretty disgusted with the Dead Space DLC when it first came out. I thought it was a bit of an insult that they were charging us $1.00 to put flame textures on two weapons. But I love this game so much that when I started yet another playthrough recently, I broke down and downloaded the Astro Suit. I'm so weak :(. Oh well, I'm happy to support the developers for making such an awesome game.

So I finally picked up Dead Space. The game's great. I'm on Chapter 9 and can't seem to stop playing! I will say however that whoever made the demo for the game should be shot. That demo is nothing like the main game and almost stopped me from getting the game. I'm so glad it didn't though.

Just a quick question though guys. Did the Death animations piss anyone else off? Every time I got killed and saw one of the 40 death animations I got angry and plowed back into the game to kill the enemy who killed me. It's weird. When I saw Issac get decapitated and saw him reaching up to his neck I just really wanted to jump back into the game and make up for it. I guess that's great game immersion but I felt like I was being a little weird. Anyone else get this way with this game?

I just picked up Dead Space this past week... what a game!! It's absolutely fantastic. It feels like where I feel the Resident Evil franchise should be going. Great controls, super polished all around, the interface system (how it extremely rarely takes you out of the game and into a menu), there are a lot of innovations here for this type of game.

If you haven't played Dead Space and ever liked Resident Evil, I highly recommend it.

Finished Dead Space last week. Wow what a great game!! Felt AAA throughout.
I know the guy that programed the controls is on GAF. I salute you!! There were some cramped spaces in this game but I never felt the controls made those spaces frustrating.
The same can't be said for RE5(demo). >=(
This is no short game either, took me about 11 hours.
:D

Varna

I really love this game. But it infuriates me how EA hasn't bother to fix up the issue plaguing the PC version.

I still can't use a gamepad without the game crashing after 10 second of being in any menu.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
fucking obsidian suite -
are they kidding me? wtf at giving me the best suit from the get go?!?

god damn it - i thought there has to be a reason why i got all this slots in my rig and that there would be some kind of event to break the suit a little so that i can actaully upgrade it and play the game in a more survival manner...

but now iam at chapter 7 and i wanted to find out what the deal was with this suit...
wtf at whoever came up with that idea ...

this feels like cheating now, and no, iam not going to replay ...

but other than this crap its a wonderful game,.. i love it

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
sankt-Antonio said:
fucking obsidian suite -
are they kidding me? wtf at giving me the best suit from the get go?!?

god damn it - i thought there has to be a reason why i got all this slots in my rig and that there would be some kind of event to break the suit a little so that i can actaully upgrade it and play the game in a more survival manner...

but now iam at chapter 7 and i wanted to find out what the deal was with this suit...
wtf at whoever came up with that idea ...

this feels like cheating now, and no, iam not going to replay ...

but other than this crap its a wonderful game,.. i love it

What?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
dskillzhtown said:

Some people just wanted to try out the Obsidian Suit, because they thought hey could simply switch back.
Well, bad luck, you can't. So if you're not willing to replay from the beginning you're stuck with the best suit from the start, so obviously it feels like cheating to some people.

HiResDes

Hey guys sorry to play gravedigger to this old thread, but I've found myself in a very bad predicament. I'm on chapter 7, playing on hard, and in the zero gravity area of the level...I think there is some crazy glitch going on where none of the asteroid rocks appear that I need to throw into the beam, I've loaded my game several times and restarted my console to no avail. Is there way around this, or am I screwed?

I just
blew up the thermite door
in Chapter 2, should I buy the pulse rifle, line gun, or flamethrower? I have over 22,000 credits.

Okay, I've encountered an EXTREMELY fucked up bug. When I opened the door to the Ishimura clinic, right after the blown up door, my screen freezes, artifacts show up, and Isaac starts to spasm in place. All input still works but I still see the frozen screen. Shortly later the game crashes and instantly restarts. WHAT THE FUCK EA?

soldat7

ChoklitReign said:
I just
in Chapter 2, should I buy the pulse rifle, line gun, or flamethrower? I have over 22,000 credits.

Plasma Cutter IMO. Line gun if you must.

adg1034

ChoklitReign said:
Okay, I've encountered an EXTREMELY fucked up bug. When I opened the door to the Ishimura clinic, right after the blown up door, my screen freezes, artifacts show up, and Isaac starts to spasm in place. All input still works but I still see the frozen screen. Shortly later the game crashes and instantly restarts. WHAT THE FUCK EA?

EA actually licensed the insanity effects from Eternal Darkness. That's part of the game.

:| I have no clue how to help you.

thinking about taking a stab at another dead space play through due to the RE5 demo being disappointing. questions though:

-beat it on normal, and going to make a new game on easy, will it carry over my weapon/suit upgrades?
-going after the trophy for beating it with only plasma cutter, can i buy/upgrade other weapons without using them? or will that mess up the trophy?
-speaking of the One Gun trophy, will using stasis on enemies and pushing them into grav panels mess up the trophy? what about melee kills? i heard it was as long as you don't FIRE other weapons you're good.
-playing it on hard after i finish it on easy, does anyone recommend any special DLC armor for if i had a hard time on normal mode? is the tank armor good?

soldat7

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
thinking about taking a stab at another dead space play through due to the RE5 demo being disappointing. questions though:

-beat it on normal, and going to make a new game on easy, will it carry over my weapon/suit upgrades?
-going after the trophy for beating it with only plasma cutter, can i buy/upgrade other weapons without using them? or will that mess up the trophy?
-speaking of the One Gun trophy, will using stasis on enemies and pushing them into grav panels mess up the trophy? what about melee kills? i heard it was as long as you don't FIRE other weapons you're good.
-playing it on hard after i finish it on easy, does anyone recommend any special DLC armor for if i had a hard time on normal mode? is the tank armor good?

1 - Don't play it on easy. Use New Game+ or move to Hard. Your stuff doesn't carry over anyways.

2 - You can buy and upgrade any weapon you want to get the achievement. Be sure to only fire the Plasma Cutter though.

3 - Use Statis and Kinesis as much as you'd like (and melee). They don't affect the One Gun achievement/trophy.

4 - Tank armor is one of the best IIRC. I haven't really used much of the DLC so I can't comment.

ChoklitReign said:
I just

General consensus is the flamethrower is worthless (I never bought it). I really liked the Line Gun, since the extra-wide beam is perfect for killing Lurkers (aborted babies with 3 long tentacles) in one shot, as well as shooting the legs off other enemies.

HiResDes

IMO if you want a fun experience play the game on Hard, only the first few chapters are really difficult, and I am only using my Plasma Cutter.

bigcheese

HiResDes said:
IMO if you want a fun experience play the game on Hard, only the first few chapters are really difficult, and I am only using my Plasma Cutter.
I went straight from Medium to Impossible, and it's really pissing me off. The enemies can kill you so quickly. It actually is pretty fun, as I like a challenge, but some of the parts have been really annoying. I'm on Ch. 7, so I hope the rest of the game isn't too hard. Any one have any tips for Impossible? I've only been using the Plasma Cutter so far, but once I get it upgraded all the way, I'll use another gun. I just thought it would be best to upgrade the Plasma Cutter and the suit first.

For people who have beat the game on Impossible:
Final boss any harder on Impossible? I didn't have too hard of a time with it on my first playthrough. Just had to bring a bunch of ammo.

soldat7 said:
1 - Don't play it on easy. Use New Game+ or move to Hard. Your stuff doesn't carry over anyways.

2 - You can buy and upgrade any weapon you want to get the achievement. Be sure to only fire the Plasma Cutter though.

3 - Use Statis and Kinesis as much as you'd like (and melee). They don't affect the One Gun achievement/trophy.

4 - Tank armor is one of the best IIRC. I haven't really used much of the DLC so I can't comment.

i thought your upgrades carried over? otherwise it's impossible to upgrade everything to the max...? FAKE EDIT: ahh, so you can only carry it over if you do another normal play through, i guess i will do that then first so i can max out everything and do the plasma cutter trophy, THEN i will tackle hard.

also, why do hard? is there a trophy? (checks) don't see one. i guess so i can unlock the hardcore mode or whatever huh?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
god damn yes finaly i got rid of this ugly obsidian suite... the marine suite is way more pleasing to the eyes...

i am on my second play... very good game, a shame that the last levels are too much of a shooter then anything else...

and i found it very usefull to first fully upgrade the cutter ... then the rig... it is a very powerfull thing :)

as long as you stay in the same difficulty your stuff gets carried over! just save at the end of the game => then load this save...

there is a trophy for beating the game on the hardest diff. .... or am i dreaming?

sankt-Antonio said:
there is a trophy for beating the game on the hardest diff. .... or am i dreaming?
Yes, there is a trophy for beating the game on Impossible. Not for Hard though.

I'd recommend playing on Hard from the get-go, don't bother with Normal or Easy. Hard and Impossible really aren't that tough, especially if you've ever player RE4 and are comfortable with the controls. If you plan on completing Impossible then you will find it is a pretty small jump from Hard to Impossible.

endlessflood said:
Yes, there is a trophy for beating the game on Impossible. Not for Hard though.

I'd recommend playing on Hard from the get-go, don't bother with Normal or Easy. Hard and Impossible really aren't that tough, especially if you've ever player RE4 and are comfortable with the controls. If you plan on completing Impossible then you will find it is a pretty small jump from Hard to Impossible.

my only fear is the tentacle parts. i had a really hard time aiming when laying down at those angles. after the first tentacle i would die AT LEAST once or twice per all the other tentacle encounters.

Okay, FUCK EA. Every time I lauhch the game it freezes and covers the screen with artifcats. In fact, they cover the screen even after exiting the game! If you see any typoes it's because my desktop looks like this.
artifacts.jpg

EA has actually produced a game that hurts your GPU. If they brick my computer I'm suing them.

Un4

Finished it today, awesome game. Took my sweet time though, clocked in almost 18 hours.

Loved the ending and the "oh, shit" moment when i realised the
the pod containing the Necromorph was picked up by the Valor :lol

Bring on the sequel!

Johnas

Picked this game up a few days ago and wasn't feeling it at first, but now I'm on Chapter 7 and really enjoying myself.

I got a little frustrated with the "shoot the asteroids" part but other than that it's been pretty smooth sailing. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the story though.

Nizz

CitizenCope said:
Finished Dead Space last week. Wow what a great game!! Felt AAA throughout.
I know the guy that programed the controls is on GAF. I salute you!! There were some cramped spaces in this game but I never felt the controls made those spaces frustrating.
The same can't be said for RE5(demo). >=(
This is no short game either, took me about 11 hours.
Wait, he posts here? In that case he gets big props from me too! :D I have the PS3 version and I can't tell you how many times some devs will put shooting on R2 instead of R1. EA did that with Army of Two, but since then they've made R1 the go to button for shooting, and I can't thank them enough! If you're reading this, again, thank you. :D Maybe you can spread the word around. ;)

The controls are so tight for this game, never did I have to think about them as I played. Hopefully RE6 can take a cue from EA Redwood and adapt similar controls. They've proven you can give the player full movement and still maintain a tense, sometimes downright scary, horror experience. I've said it before, but the way they've tackled the hud is one of the best implementations I've seen. Very clean UI, and the graphics aren't cluttered with life bars, ammo, etc... Very well done.

Any tips on what to do when half a dozen slashers are surrounding you and charging? I know stasis is a lifesaver when there's only a few of them but what about when you're surrounded 360 degrees? I have the plasma cutter and line gun. I need to master this stuff before moving to hard mode.

Sysgen

ChoklitReign said:
Any tips on what to do when half a dozen slashers are surrounding you and charging? I know stasis is a lifesaver when there's only a few of them but what about when you're surrounded 360 degrees? I have the plasma cutter and line gun. I need to master this stuff before moving to hard mode.

IIRC the secondary fire for the line gun is grenades. Maybe that'll help.

Returners

fps fanatic said:
Wait, he posts here? In that case he gets big props from me too! :D I have the PS3 version and I can't tell you how many times some devs will put shooting on R2 instead of R1. EA did that with Army of Two, but since then they've made R1 the go to button for shooting, and I can't thank them enough! If you're reading this, again, thank you. :D Maybe you can spread the word around. ;)

The controls are so tight for this game, never did I have to think about them as I played. Hopefully RE6 can take a cue from EA Redwood and adapt similar controls. They've proven you can give the player full movement and still maintain a tense, sometimes downright scary, horror experience. I've said it before, but the way they've tackled the hud is one of the best implementations I've seen. Very clean UI, and the graphics aren't cluttered with life bars, ammo, etc... Very well done.

Yup he's here. Was even posting in this thread. Look waaay back for that.

getting the one gun trophy and the all weapons max trophy.

can i sell a weapon after i maxed it out? or do i need to store them in the safe after maxing them to get the trophy?
that's what I did

bigcheese

getting the one gun trophy and the all weapons max trophy.

can i sell a weapon after i maxed it out? or do i need to store them in the safe after maxing them to get the trophy?
Don't sell the weapons if you don't have the trophy yet. I made that mistake and was really pissed off.

my only fear is the tentacle parts. i had a really hard time aiming when laying down at those angles. after the first tentacle i would die AT LEAST once or twice per all the other tentacle encounters.
It's not really that hard, and if you die there's always an invisible checkpoint right before it. Nothing to lose sleep over. You certainly won't get stuck.

Edit: I didn't notice much of a difference (if any) between Hard and Impossible with the tentacles.

codecow

Pojo said:
Cool. One last question, I promise. :p

They have some codes you can input while the game is paused (says so on GameFAQs, anyway) to get like 5 free nodes, some cash, etc. Does this impact the ability to get trophies? It's not a big deal, but I'm scared to try it.:D

You still get trophies. The game saves that you used most (maybe all) of the codes with your save game so that you cannot overly abuse them to cheat through the trophies/achievements.

soldat7

I'm really tempted to buy this game again, this time for PS3. Dead Space is probably the only multiplatform game I'd buy twice.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm only at the second chapter and I'm having a blast with this one. I knew almost nothing about this game except that a friend played it and tould me about it being scary. I started it thinking "bah, I doubt I'll be surprised, haha", how wrong I was. :lol It's hillarious that even knowing those fuckers are playing dead and will get up and attack you, I get a scare because of their screams and the overall mood of the game (which is very nicely done by the way). I also dig how the interface and everything else is on/comes from the suit, inventory, health bar, etc. Pretty neat.

MoxManiac

So is the PS3 version of this good? I'm interested in the game, but I know sometimes the PS3 versions suffers in these cross platform games.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Fuu said:
I'm only at the second chapter and I'm having a blast with this one. I knew almost nothing about this game except that a friend played it and tould me about it being scary. I started it thinking "bah, I doubt I'll be surprised, haha", how wrong I was. :lol It's hillarious that even knowing those fuckers are playing dead and will get up and attack you, I get a scare because of their screams and the overall mood of the game (which is very nicely done by the way). I also dig how the interface and everything else is on/comes from the suit, inventory, health bar, etc. Pretty neat.

ridiculous amount of polish on this game. the controls are an extremely excellent evolution of the re4 control scheme--arguably better than the ones in that game's direct successor. as a complete experience, it turned out far better than i ever expected it to, though i was a champion of the game's potential from square one.

you really have to hand it to the fledgeling team, as they delivered something of a quality that normally only comes from a developer's third or fourth game at the earliest.

Nizz

codecow said:
I'm still reading when I see this thread pop back up.

MoxManiac said:
So is the PS3 version of this good? I'm interested in the game, but I know sometimes the PS3 versions suffers in these cross platform games.
Yes it is. I'm PS3 only, I have the game and it's great. No worries with this one. :D

soldat7

MoxManiac said:

The PS3 version is excellent, from what people have said around here. I'm probably going to double-dip this one.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
beelzebozo said:
ridiculous amount of polish on this game. the controls are an extremely excellent evolution of the re4 control scheme--arguably better than the ones in that game's direct successor. as a complete experience, it turned out far better than i ever expected it to, though i was a champion of the game's potential from square one.

you really have to hand it to the fledgeling team, as they delivered something of a quality that normally only comes from a developer's third or fourth game at the earliest.
Well put, it's sweet how well the controls work (can't say how they would compare to RE5 yet though). It's so polished that I actually forgot to give it mention if that makes any sense. At chapter 3 now and not a single moment I felt I had to struggle with them. Everything works the way it's supposed to.

glaurung

I have been playing the PS3 version exclusively and it is excellent, probably 99% identical to the 360 version.

There is one major difference though: the saving system works differently on both platforms. While PS3 uses the arbitrary saving menus, the 360 does something else. Haters say that it takes the player out of the experience (PS3 version).

If someone has a video clip with the 360 saving animation, feel free to link.

Never mind, just saw it myself for the first time. I like the PS3 version better.

RavenFox

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Those days are behind us my friend. The sound alone is worth half the price.

Top Bottom