• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Gee

Finally started playing this game a week or 2 ago.
Im at chapter 6 and I loved every second so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah, props to EA Redwood!

I've said it repeatedly in this thread, but Dead Space is amazing. You guys deserve the sales.

senahorse

Good to see, I did my part and loved every second of it
except the asteroid shooting, but that's really just a nitpick
, I can't wait for the sequel. Also I would love to see another animated movie to set up the sequel, it made reading/listening to/watching all the logs really immersive imo.

El-Suave

They deserve every sale they get. I really appreciate how polished and almost flawless in execution Dead Space is, so I'll probably buy the Dante's Inferno game if it's done by the same team and if it's remotely good.

Is there a way to start playing on "impossible" difficulty with your stuff from the cleared game?
I thought about going for the platinum trophy and play through it again, but I decided it's too hard for my taste with the starting equipment. Also that playthrough would be useless for the "Maxed Out" trophy since you need to invest the new nodes you get into your basic equipment to level that up again.

SpokkX

Great to see this game succeed. Best EA game in the last.. 10 years?

It is a really amazing game and one of the most polished pieces of software I EVER played.

Can´t wait for a sequel

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wrote up a huge review on my blog of this game after i finished it yesterday. warning that a lot of it is spent reminiscing about the resident evil series and setting up the resident evil 4 comparison, as i wanted game laymen like my mum and dad to be able to understand why dead space is so awesome.

so anyway, if anyone's interesting, here's a link to my blog:

reverse microwaves - "dead space: amalgamation of modern gaming trends"

Returners

El-Suave said:
They deserve every sale they get. I really appreciate how polished and almost flawless in execution Dead Space is, so I'll probably buy the Dante's Inferno game if it's done by the same team and if it's remotely good.

Is there a way to start playing on "impossible" difficulty with your stuff from the cleared game?
I thought about going for the platinum trophy and play through it again, but I decided it's too hard for my taste with the starting equipment. Also that playthrough would be useless for the "Maxed Out" trophy since you need to invest the new nodes you get into your basic equipment to level that up again.

Nope, you have to start everything from scratch, use the DLC suits :D

codecow

El-Suave said:

You should judge the game on its own merits. It's from the same studio but not the same team although some folks who worked on Dead Space are now (and have been) working on Dante's Inferno.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dead space is really excellent as a sci-fi shooter, but i wouldn't automatically say that a horror game from this studio is going to be similarly excellent. really, the horror elements of the story and atmosphere were some of the weaker parts of the game, and could have been eschewed altogether in favor of a hard sci-fi story that could have been more complex and engaging.

additionally, with so few games utilizing the hard sci-fi angle, it would be a more wholly unique entity. still a fantastic game, but as i said, i don't feel the studio has proven themselves on the horror front quite yet.

Beaulieu

beelzebozo said:
dead space is really excellent as a sci-fi shooter, but i wouldn't automatically say that a horror game from this studio is going to be similarly excellent. really, the horror elements of the story and atmosphere were some of the weaker parts of the game, and could have been eschewed altogether in favor of a hard sci-fi story that could have been more complex and engaging.

additionally, with so few games utilizing the hard sci-fi angle, it would be a more wholly unique entity. still a fantastic game, but as i said, i don't feel the studio has proven themselves on the horror front quite yet.

wow
Im playing this game with all lights off and the 5.1 sound system at 11, and let me tell you that i crap in my pants about 1 time every 30 seconds.

It's been a long time that a game did that to me (last was fatal frame)

Jonm1010

Banned
Just picked this up two days ago. I am already on level 7, this game is so damn good! Its not quite condemned scary but there are always two or three jolting moments every level and it does an incredible job of creating a dreadful and nerve racking atmosphere. And they also managed to do a good job of making me not care that I'm backtracking.

My only complaint is that apparently I have already got all the weapons in the game. I personally wish there were more but I'm not gonna complain anymore than that, this game is incredibly fun.

me Jojo

Funfact

Zach Hammond is voiced by Peter Mensah
Hammond.jpg

Kendra Daniels is voiced by Tonantzin Carmelo
Kendra.JPG

Nicole Brennan is voiced by Iyari Limon
Brennan.jpg

(Two spoiler characters, can't seem to change font colour to black, so ignore the blue text).

soldat7

Infamypack said:

Nice information but had I not played the game yet I'd be ticked. I consider these to be spoilers.
You don't know of the existence of some of these characters and discovering them for the first time is very cool.

I am loving this game. I beat it about 4 times now. I am going through it again on Impossible. Is it that much harder than Normal and Hard?

me Jojo

soldat7 said:
Nice information but had I not played the game yet I'd be ticked. I consider these to be spoilers.
You don't know of the existence of some of these characters and discovering them for the first time is very cool.

Yeah I fixed it. Thanks for mentioning. Links are still blue in spoiler tags though. :(

Rhazer Fusion said:
I am loving this game. I beat it about 4 times now. I am going through it again on Impossible. Is it that much harder than Normal and Hard?

I'm currently on my fourth playthrough now, first one on impossible. I'm slightly disappointed because as long as you keep an eye out on your credits it isn't all that much harder (especially because you've become a lot better, and know what to expect at which points of the game after several playthroughs). The hardest part for me from all the 6 chapters I played so far was the first chapter. You waste more ammo, and necromorphs are smarter and tougher. I ended up without ammo quite a couple of times because there is no store until the end of chapter 1. I died quite a couple of times from slashers boxing me in, and just run like hell after the Kellion blew up (in which you are chased by several slashers and leapers, and at that point I had about 4 plasma bullets left, lol). I suggest to upgrade your heatlh as soon as possible, because it takes not more than 3 slasher hits to die in the beginning of the game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my game glitches near the end (at least, i think it's a glitch). as i try to move
the marker into the third or fourth room--the one just before the climactic ending outside--it gets caught on the small space where the track transitions from the shutter bay to the room.

no matter how much i use kinesis on it, from any angle, the damn thing just won't budge forward.

Stillmatic

Does equipping another weapon effect the 'One Gun' trophy?

I've just started another play through by loading up my completed game save file, and i start off with the Pulse Rifle in hand. :/

K' Dash

beelzebozo said:
my game glitches near the end (at least, i think it's a glitch). as i try to move
the marker into the third or fourth room--the one just before the climactic ending outside--it gets caught on the small space where the track transitions from the shutter bay to the room.

no matter how much i use kinesis on it, from any angle, the damn thing just won't budge forward.

Could you take a picture?

me Jojo

Stillmatic said:
Does equipping another weapon effect the 'One Gun' trophy?

I've just started another play through by loading up my completed game save file, and i start off with the Pulse Rifle in hand. :/
No, just don't fire it. I'm not sure what disables the achievement, but you can wield them and upgrade them at the upgrade stations without worrying.

DMczaf

I finished the game on Impossible yesterday, completing all 1000 achievement points.

I hope they put as much love into the sequel as they did in this game.
F U SCARY DEAD NICOLE! IM GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE ARMS! THEN THE LEGS! THEN THE HEAD!1111

Eccocid

Such an irony.. People praise EA for giving a break in sequels and publishing a new IP and now they are very excited to see its sequel! lol

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I really want this game...

My question is... I just got a 360 to sit alongside the PS3. Which version should I get? Any graphical or performance differences? Trophy support for PS3? Etc.?

Darkmakaimura said:

My question is... I just got a 360 to sit alongside the PS3. Which version should I get? Any graphical or performance differences? Trophy support for PS3? Etc.?

Whichever controller you prefer I guess.. PS3 version has trophy and DTS support. As far as graphical or performance differences... I'm not really sure.. never did a side by side comparison.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Darkmakaimura said:

It plays and feels great controller wise on PS3 (well remember L2 is for running) and as it has been said it does support trophies. Never tried it on Xbox 360 though, but on PS3 it does work beautifully.

Ledsen

Darkmakaimura said:

Works perfectly on both consoles.

El-Suave

After having played the "one gun" way on my first playthrough I went back and played a section of the game to get the other weapon trophies.
I was surprised how little some of the other weapons focus on the dismembering mechanic and some seemed downright useless for me despite having upgraded them fully (Contact Beam downright sucked, Flametrower was bad, too). The game really seems to have been developed mostly with the Plasma Cutter (and maybe the Ripper) in mind. I don't know if this is a demerit or detracts from the game overall but it's an interesting design weakness, if one wants to call it that.

Dave1988

El-Suave said:
After having played the "one gun" way on my first playthrough I went back and played a section of the game to get the other weapon trophies.
I was surprised how little some of the other weapons focus on the dismembering mechanic and some seemed downright useless for me despite having upgraded them fully (Contact Beam downright sucked, Flametrower was bad, too). The game really seems to have been developed mostly with the Plasma Cutter (and maybe the Ripper) in mind. I don't know if this is a demerit or detracts from the game overall but it's an interesting design weakness, if one wants to call it that.

Contact Beam is designed as a boss killer.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the double post.

me Jojo

The chaotic quarantines in the later chapters are really frustrating in impossible mode. I'm gonna have to bring loads of health packs to use during the
hunter chase in chapter 10, afaik only enhanced necromorphs spawn in those rooms. :(

NekoFever

I'm playing through this for the first time, very slowly, at the moment, and I just have to say that the presentation is blowing me away. The enemies haven't been all that scary so far, but stuff like when you're fighting in a vacuum and all you can hear is what vibrates through your suit and Isaac's own breathing and the scenes when the ship's being
battered by asteroids
and you can hear them hitting all around are phenomenal.

So far I wish there had been more moments like in Chapter 2 (?) when you can hear
banging like one of the malfunctioning doors and round a corner to find a bloody guy killing himself by smashing his head against the wall
. That was awesomely creepy.

Like I said, I'm not far into it yet because I'm basically doing a chapter a day, but I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far. It's a bit of a missed gem from my gaming in 2008.

me Jojo

Just got my Epic Tier 3 Engineer achievement. That makes 1000! Ironically enough, I didn't die once in Chapter 10, the only chapter I had trouble with on my other playthroughs. Guess I was well prepared with an inventory filled with health packs and line racks.:lol

painey

funny this got bumped up, I just got back into this today. Im still on level 2 but im very slow and cautious with these kind of games, as im such a coward. It is good, but very easy to anticipate oncoming attacks, just not where they are coming from.

Brakara

NekoFever said:
I'm playing through this for the first time, very slowly, at the moment, and I just have to say that the presentation is blowing me away. The enemies haven't been all that scary so far, but stuff like when you're fighting in a vacuum and all you can hear is what vibrates through your suit and Isaac's own breathing and the scenes when the ship's being
battered by asteroids
and you can hear them hitting all around are phenomenal.

Yeah, the atmosphere in this game is brilliant. I'm also taking it slowly, having barely made it half-way through. My favorite scenes are perhaps the zero gravity ones as I just love going through them. If the rest of the game keeps up with the first half, then it would've easily made my top 5 of 2008 list, and maybe even the top 3 (behind Gears 2 and Fallout 3). So it's crazy that I seriously thought about not getting this game at all, as EA + a bad demo usually means "no buy".

MechDX

painey said:
funny this got bumped up, I just got back into this today. Im still on level 2 but im very slow and cautious with these kind of games, as im such a coward. It is good, but very easy to anticipate oncoming attacks, just not where they are coming from.

Get further along.

I finally finished tonight. So, so AWESOME! EA really did this game right!

Played the RE5 demo and all I could think was "Why didnt they copy EA's control scheme??"

The last cutscene at the end made me and the wife shit our pants! I hope I get to kill the bitch in the sequel!

Returners

Infamypack said:
Funfact

Zach Hammond is voiced by Peter Mensah
Hammond.jpg

Kendra Daniels is voiced by Tonantzin Carmelo
Kendra.JPG

Nicole Brennan is voiced by Iyari Limon
Brennan.jpg

(Two spoiler characters, can't seem to change font colour to black, so ignore the blue text).

Wah, so they used the real actors faces? Thats awesome

Returners

El-Suave said:

I fell in love with the Force Gun, along with the Line Gun.

Force Gun when upgraded = HOLY SHIT
Line Gun has a very long (width wise) line that you only need one to dismember those monsters (cuts both legs)

me Jojo

U K Narayan said:
She's dead.
Not to mention another hallucination. It'd be obvious for Isaac to see a zombiefied Nicole after finding out she's been dead the whole time. Plus the fact she looks nothing like a necromorph AND the Hive Mind being destroyed pretty much explains enough.
Still scary though. :lol

pr0cs

I finished the story the other night, what a great game.
This is why I still play a lot of single player games, what a ride. The end was awesome.
So many good things with the game really, lots of little things they put in the game, in the story, in the graphics and sound that really add to the vibe of the game.
I need to replay it to get the rest of the achievements and do a lot more exploring, took me just over 13 hours to complete the game on medium and I tried to be proactive in upgrading my equipment (junk hoarder) and looking for power nodes.

I also noticed late in the game on the wall there was a chart matching the alien language 1-1 to english alphabet. I was seriously tempted to take a shot and decypher some of the writings on the wall for shits and giggles.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
codecow said:
You should judge the game on its own merits. It's from the same studio but not the same team although some folks who worked on Dead Space are now (and have been) working on Dante's Inferno.

Show your overlords this thread so we can get a sequel!

Top Bottom