• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
soldat7 said:
- Use only the Plasma Cutter. Nothing else.
- Play it loud.
- Play it alone.

Last two I'm ok with, but the first one? Really?
Do you guys agreed with that? Cause I fucked up my HD the other days so I'm starting anew tonight, since I was just a couple of hours in.

I brought the X360 in my Home Theatre room just to play this game on a 120" screen and the uber Denon/Chario Surround system instead of the usual Panny plasma + headphones, really hope it's worth it cause it's a pain in the ass bringin' the white brick upstairs :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I dont agree with that at all. Part of the joy of the game is in buying all the different kinds of weapons.

Now, second playthrough, you bet. But not the first time.

Ledsen

Dash Kappei said:
Last two I'm ok with, but the first one? Really?
Do you guys agreed with that? Cause I fucked up my HD the other days so I'm starting anew tonight, since I was just a couple of hours in.

I brought the X360 in my Home Theatre room just to play this game on a 120" screen and the uber Denon/Chario Surround system instead of the usual Panny plasma + headphones, really hope it's worth it cause it's a pain in the ass bringin' the white brick upstairs :D

Use all the weapons your first time through, no sense in limiting yourself and getting frustrated while missing out on some cool toys.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just picked up today from Best Buy for $40. I took a chance since I found the demo particularly frustrating and was worried the full game would be like that, but since I had heard so many good things and because it was the last copy, I figured 'why not'.

Well, I'm happy to say the full game is nothing like the demo. In fact, so far it's not that frustrating at all. Perhaps the demo was defaulted on a harder mode, but I'm really enjoying this game. It's a bit repetitive and dark (though understandably so) but the graphics are some of the best I've seen this generation. It has actually managed to 'wow' me a bit at times which no other game, except maybe Prince of Persia and the end boss of DMC4, has this generation. The sound is also incredible! As a previous poster mentioned, this has to be played loud.

Anyways, I'm on Chapter 4 right now. I'm hoping it even gets better from here, not that there's much wrong with the game so far.

fanboi

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
I just picked up today from Best Buy for $40. I took a chance since I found the demo particularly frustrating and was worried the full game would be like that, but since I had heard so many good things and because it was the last copy, I figured 'why not'.

Well, I'm happy to say the full game is nothing like the demo. In fact, so far it's not that frustrating at all. Perhaps the demo was defaulted on a harder mode, but I'm really enjoying this game. It's a bit repetitive and dark (though understandably so) but the graphics are some of the best I've seen this generation. It has actually managed to 'wow' me a bit at times which no other game, except maybe Prince of Persia and the end boss of DMC4, has this generation. The sound is also incredible! As a previous poster mentioned, this has to be played loud.

Anyways, I'm on Chapter 4 right now. I'm hoping it even gets better from here, not that there's much wrong with the game so far.

It will...

The bridge graphics is AMAZING, seeing flying rocks flyby etc... awsome game, truly capture the feeling of beeing alone on a big ass ship in hostile space...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
fanboi said:
It will...

The bridge graphics is AMAZING, seeing flying rocks flyby etc... awsome game, truly capture the feeling of beeing alone on a big ass ship in hostile space...
Agreed. In fact, I last saved on the bridge just before going down into the Captain's Nest where you find the level 3 suit upgrade.

jett

D-Member
Okay, so I'm playing this game(Early in the second chapter, no spoilerz plz), awesome so far, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend credits on the other weapons like the line gun and the flamethrower and that other stuff. They seem kinda useless, and I'm having a bit of item management troubles. :p

woxel1

If it makes the game any easier, Jett, don't even think about getting that lame-ass excuse for a flamethrower.

Yeah, it does pay off to put your credits into just a few weapons then to try to "catch them all."

Nizz

jett said:
Okay, so I'm playing this game(Early in the second chapter, no spoilerz plz), awesome so far, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend credits on the other weapons like the line gun and the flamethrower and that other stuff. They seem kinda useless, and I'm having a bit of item management troubles. :p
To tell the truth, I mostly used the Plasma cutter, Line cutter, and Force gun throughout the game. I like the line gun for taking care of multiple enemies at once.

I got the Flamethrower and used it a couple of times but I felt the ammo depleted too fast and didn't do enough damage to enemies. Are you using the locker for storing weapons? At the in-game stores, you can swap out weapons in your inventory for different ones and store unused ones there.

My save games aren't in order on the load game screen. I have to actually scroll through them and find the latest one. Anyone else have this problem? (PS3 version)

Guenther

Felix Lighter said:
My save games aren't in order on the load game screen. I have to actually scroll through them and find the latest one. Anyone else have this problem? (PS3 version)
Yeah, same here. It´s pretty annoying.

Huggy

Finished the game. Didn't like most of the bosses
a large anus half-way through and a big willy at the end. The regenerator kicked as though.
or the plot twists
government replica experiment, being backstabbed. Way too cheesy
I also poked through the major plot twist very early when the build-up was in effect. It should have been more subtle.

Luckily the meat of the game, the 13 hour trip through the Ishimura, is awesome. The encounters are scary and the graphics beautiful. Combat is fun as hell but I would have really liked an 180 degree turn maneuver. I don't believe it would have made the game less scary.
Will buy a sequel at a high price.

jett

D-Member
Oh fuck the game keeps crashing on chapter 6, everytime I reach the top of a vertical Zero G area. :( I have no idea what may be causing the crash...I wonder if someone would be awesome enough to use my savegame and clear the objective ahead(kill one of the poison sprout things), and then quickly return to the nearest save point. :)

My eternal gratitude to whoever volunteers...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
LM4sure said:
Send it back. It sounds like you don't like what you've played thus far if something so trivial is making you consider sending it back. Do us all a favor and send it back. I don't want you among the people who have beat Dead Space.

:lol

what an asshole!

i gotta get back into this game - the atmosphere is amazing.

Broseybrose

Felix Lighter said:
So there's nothing that can be done about it? Not a huge deal; it just seems like a ridiculous oversight that could have been easily patched by now.
nope, even on pc it doesnt reorder your saves. just deal.

vermadas

I got this game from Amazon for $30 on Black Friday last year and didn't actually play it until this last week. I don't really play a lot of survival horror, but this game really did scare the shit out of me repeatedly. I found myself almost afraid to play it :lol The sound in the game is incredibly atmospheric, and I think that's what creeped me out the most. I pity the people who don't have the means to play this on a good 5.1 system.

Loved:
- Half-Life inspired storytelling that never takes you out of character.
- Very minimalist UI; it really does add to the immersion.
- Non-traditional weapons that were satisfying to use.
- Zero gravity and vacuum areas.

My (minor) gripes:
- Asteroid shooting. Maybe I just suck, but it took me about 5 tries to beat this and it got a bit frustrating.
- Despite some really cool set pieces, I didn't find the bosses that fun (minus the regenerator).
- Somewhat predictable plot twists.
- Always ended up with way too much Ripper ammo and too little of anything else.

yoopoo

Banned
This game is amazing, the atmosphere is terrifyingly brilliant...specially after playing RE5 where the atmosphere does not exist.

But the most impressive thing about the game is the sound design. It bring out more fear than the visuals.

Just picked this up a couple of days ago. While I'm only through the first 2 chapters thus far, I'm really loving the atmosphere as well as the gameplay, although I can see traversing through the same parts of the ship getting a bit repetitive. It's been a really fun first hour and a half or so, and I can't wait to play more!

MoFuzz

Does anyone know how to adjust aiming sensitivity for the gamepad on the pc version?

The slider in the options only seems to affect mouse speed, whereas I'm using a wireless 360 controller.

The default speed is way too fast for my tastes.

My6cats

Banned
I bought the game at Amazon this month for $31.00. I just finished it, and all I can say is WOW!. Played it on easy and will now play it on normal. Had a few scary "Alien the Movie" moments. They were cheap scares but they worked, and I jumped. All I can say is I never thought the song "twinkle twinkle little Star" could be so creepy!

soldat7

gregor7777 said:
#1 is not really the way to go. Play with the weapons your first time through.

For a first-timer, I don't see any reason to play through the game using any weapon but the Plasma Cutter. It makes the game way more intense and nets you a pretty sweet Achievement/Trophy.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
My6cats said:
I bought the game at Amazon this month for $31.00. I just finished it, and all I can say is WOW!. Played it on easy and will now play it on normal. Had a few scary "Alien the Movie" moments. They were cheap scares but they worked, and I jumped. All I can say is I never thought the song "twinkle twinkle little Star" could be so creepy!

Dude,... play hard.

Atrus

Gold Member
Gryphter said:
should I watch the DVD before or after playing the game? or does it suck and I should just ignore it?

If by DVD you mean the cartoon, then play the game first. The movie is really meant for more background lore, but it turns out that there are some things which don't mesh with how the game plays out.

I do recommend you view the free Dead Space animated comics first though. Those really help set the mood.

McLovin

I just started my second game, because I wanted to get another platinum.. and I decided to get that level 6 suit. Holy crap it looks nothing like the other ones. It really caught me off guard :lol

soldat7 said:
For a first-timer, I don't see any reason to play through the game using any weapon but the Plasma Cutter. It makes the game way more intense and nets you a pretty sweet Achievement/Trophy.

How would you know if you didn't try the weapons? That was my point.

dankir

I really hope
Isaac survives that little scare at the end, or comes back in the sequel with necromorph powers!
what a game!!

I finished my platinum run the other weekend, it was my third play through. I did normal twice, once was the first experience, second to max out and get kills with all weapons, and third on Impossible with just the plasma cutter.

It was a truly enjoyable experience every time I played through. The tension and suspense the first time through was palpable. (God damn is the sound good in this game. You MUST play this game in no less the 5.1) I could only play a few hours at a time because I became emotionally exhausted from being on edge every second.

The second time through I gained more confidence, but loathed up coming major encounters. By my third time, even though it was on Impossible, I was like, "bring it on bitches" It was really fun to have a progression of feelings each time I played through. I remeber on my final play through thinking, "Ok, I have 225 rounds of Plasma Cutter, and 10 or so Large Health packs, I dare you freak bitches to fuck with me."

Love this game

vermadas said:
Loved:
- Half-Life inspired storytelling that never takes you out of character.
- Very minimalist UI; it really does add to the immersion.
- Non-traditional weapons that were satisfying to use.
- Zero gravity and vacuum areas.

this.

vermadas said:
My (minor) gripes:
- Asteroid shooting. Maybe I just suck, but it took me about 5 tries to beat this and it got a bit frustrating.

i hear you. they should have added the option to invert the turret controls independently from the player aiming. also, it just felt stiff and weird. it was hard to tell how far away asteroids were relative to the angle of the cannon. i will probably never get that one trophy... :(

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So I'm finally getting around to playing through this game. I started it once way back but only got to chapter 3. So I'm replaying the thing from the beginning. Any pointers? What to upgrade, what to not buy? Should you upgrade your suit or just buy a new one?

Red

ItsInMyVeins said:
So I'm finally getting around to playing through this game. I started it once way back but only got to chapter 3. So I'm replaying the thing from the beginning. Any pointers? What to upgrade, what to not buy? Should you upgrade your suit or just buy a new one?
I'm pretty sure suit upgrades carry over when buying a new one.

Plasma cutter is the most consistently useful weapon in the game. Shoots fast, cuts limbs very effectively, and plenty of ammo for it can be found lying all over the place.

Upgrading stasis will help immensely if you have trouble aiming (I've been watching my little brother play through the game, and if it wasn't for stasis he'd never be able to progress).

Red

Totz said:
I have been just upgrading the suit nodes (Oxygen and HP). Am I doing it wrong?
Oxygen really isn't necessary. There are very few vacuum segments that don't smother you in refill stations.

Totz

LiK said:
upgrade your pistol too.

The Plasma Cutter? I've been having tons of fun with the Ripper. What a mistake it was getting the rifle, though. :(

Crunched said:
Oxygen really isn't necessary. There are very few vacuum segments that don't smother you in refill stations.

OK, thanks.

LiK

Totz said:
The Plasma Cutter? I've been having tons of fun with the Ripper. What a mistake it was getting the rifle, though. :(

ohh, whichever gun you use the most is fine. the game automatically gives you ammo for the guns in your inventory. the less guns you carry, the more ammo for that specific gun you have with you. :)

Totz

LiK said:
ohh, whichever gun you use the most is fine. the game automatically gives you ammo for the guns in your inventory. the less guns you carry, the more ammo for that specific gun you have with you. :)

Seriously? I've been carrying that stupid rifle as a backup weapon if I run out of ammo for the Cutter and the Ripper. Well, looks like I just got two more inventory spaces. Thanks!

itsinmyveins

Crunched said:
I'm pretty sure suit upgrades carry over when buying a new one.

Plasma cutter is the most consistently useful weapon in the game. Shoots fast, cuts limbs very effectively, and plenty of ammo for it can be found lying all over the place.

Upgrading stasis will help immensely if you have trouble aiming (I've been watching my little brother play through the game, and if it wasn't for stasis he'd never be able to progress).

Yes, I'm mainly using the plasma cutter. You're sure about the suit upgrades carrying over?

Which weapon is better; line cutter or flamethrower? The assault rifle seems kinda crappy to be honest. Didn't work well when I tried using it anyways.

LiK

Totz said:
Seriously? I've been carrying that stupid rifle as a backup weapon if I run out of ammo for the Cutter and the Ripper. Well, looks like I just got two more inventory spaces. Thanks!

no prob, it's quite convient ;)

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yes, I'm mainly using the plasma cutter. You're sure about the suit upgrades carrying over?

Which weapon is better; line cutter or flamethrower? The assault rifle seems kinda crappy to be honest. Didn't work well when I tried using it anyways.

suit upgrades only carry over in the same difficulty. not a big deal if you don't plan on replaying the game on the other difficulties.

the assault rifle secondary attack is pretty badass. did you try it? :)

btw, the line cutter is way more useful than the flamethrower, imo. i only used the flamethrower to get the achievement for flamethrower kills. the short range sucks.

Red

Yeah, flamethrower is the least useful weapon in the game. Line cutter is basically a jumbo plasma cutter, it's good for smashing through groups.

itsinmyveins

Man, how are you supposed to upgrade your gear when you almost never find nodes or can afford to buy them. Ontop of that you sometimes find doors that requires nodes if you want to enter.

Top Bottom