• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Returners

ItsInMyVeins said:
Man, how are you supposed to upgrade your gear when you almost never find nodes or can afford to buy them. Ontop of that you sometimes find doors that requires nodes if you want to enter.
Nodes are mainly bought (at least when I played it)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I just ran into some large enemy on the bridge. First fight where I've actually lost some health, I think.

I thought I'd only play the game for an hour or so now, but I've played it for more than three :O

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I just ran into some large enemy on the bridge. First fight where I've actually lost some health, I think.

I thought I'd only play the game for an hour or so now, but I've played it for more than three :O

yea, it gets better :)

Muffdraul

ItsInMyVeins said:
Man, how are you supposed to upgrade your gear when you almost never find nodes or can afford to buy them.

You're probably hoarding a ton of shit that you'll never, ever need. Excess med kits, O2 cans, stasis refills... sell that stuff for cash.

BigBoss

Muffdraul said:
You're probably hoarding a ton of shit that you'll never, ever need. Excess med kits, O2 cans, stasis refills... sell that stuff for cash.

Yup, you also find a shitload of plasma cutter ammo that you don't need, sell that too.

Red

ItsInMyVeins said:
Man, how are you supposed to upgrade your gear when you almost never find nodes or can afford to buy them. Ontop of that you sometimes find doors that requires nodes if you want to enter.
There are cheats that can grant you a few extra nodes and credits. You can input each of them only once per playthrough. I found them helpful on the higher difficulties.

itsinmyveins

Made it to chapter 6 now--phew. The last bit of chapter 5 was kinda difficult.

Spoilers:

In the last part of chapter 5 you make your way through the medical bay again. And at the end you go a long way in to do something, and when you return you'll face that invincible dude and two fat enemies while you gotta make sure your air don't run out. I had very little HP and no med kits. Needless to say, I had to replay that part at least twice. I finally made it just by running past the enemies and activating something, then just flooring it for the exit.

itsinmyveins

Around 6 hours in now, and I've played chapter 7 for a while. How long is this game? And honestly, it's not as scary as I thought it'd be--which is fine by me, since I scare easily. Of course, me playing the game during the middle of a sunny day might be a reason for that :)

ItsInMyVeins said:
Around 6 hours in now, and I've played chapter 7 for a while. How long is this game? And honestly, it's not as scary as I thought it'd be--which is fine by me, since I scare easily. Of course, me playing the game during the middle of a sunny day might be a reason for that :)

Oh dude, like Doom 3 this game is meant to be played in the dark. I def. yelled out loud a few times playing Dead Space in the dark.

Holy shit this cover is BAD ASS! If only the orginal game had such a awesome and hot cover it might had sold more.

117e35h.jpg

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
Made it to chapter 6 now--phew. The last bit of chapter 5 was kinda difficult.

Spoilers:

In the last part of chapter 5 you make your way through the medical bay again. And at the end you go a long way in to do something, and when you return you'll face that invincible dude and two fat enemies while you gotta make sure your air don't run out. I had very little HP and no med kits. Needless to say, I had to replay that part at least twice. I finally made it just by running past the enemies and activating something, then just flooring it for the exit.

yea, died there a few times too. was confused what i was supposed to do as well. i also ran.

dwin45 said:
I just started playing the game. Am I making a mistake by playing it on Hard my first time through?

yea, it's more enjoyable the first time with the default setting. i heard Hard is quite tough.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
dwin45 said:
I just started playing the game. Am I making a mistake by playing it on Hard my first time through?

Nah, most people start on Easy to get the "One Weapon" and "Maxed out" trophies and then on the second run go to Impossible to get the trophy for that.

One thing I HATE about this game is the loading time after every death. Ugh, I am not looking forward to playing this game on Impossible and having to redo/retry sections.

Raxus

dwin45 said:
Yes, the game scales well on normal but on hard and above ammo becomes scarce and you can only carry a few select weapons if you want to make a decent amount of cash. Pistol, Saw, and Line gun would be the ideal choices. Either way there is an insane mode you unlock that is a 150 point achievement to beat and you can do a glitch to carry the level 6 suit over to insane mode.

itsinmyveins

The_Inquisitor said:
Oh dude, like Doom 3 this game is meant to be played in the dark. I def. yelled out loud a few times playing Dead Space in the dark.

I know it is, but I refuse to play scary games at night. I'm just gonna shit my pants as soon as some enemy jumps out from a closet or something.

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I know it is, but I refuse to play scary games at night. I'm just gonna shit my pants as soon as some enemy jumps out from a closet or something.

the audio in this game scared me more than the actual monsters. one of the best audio in any game, period. so atmospheric...

LiK said:
the audio in this game scared me more than the actual monsters. one of the best audio in any game, period. so atmospheric...

Exactly. Nothing like expecting something around a corner, seeing nothing, then hearing a noise behind you and spinning for dear life. Playing on my 5.1 system was amazing.

The best times are out in space with no sound though. Those moments scared the crap out of me too. :lol

But seriously dude try it in the dark at least a few times. You'll regret it if you don't.

itsinmyveins

The_Inquisitor said:
But seriously dude try it in the dark at least a few times. You'll regret it if you don't.

I've played other horror games at night before, and no, it's not something I'm interested in doing again :)

I'm near the end of chapter 10 now I think. How long are the last two chapters? And do you have to fill out every node slot on a weapon to max it out? Seems kinda redundant to fill the empty ones :/

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I've played other horror games at night before, and no, it's not something I'm interested in doing again :)

I'm near the end of chapter 10 now I think. How long are the last two chapters? And do you have to fill out every node slot on a weapon to max it out? Seems kinda redundant to fill the empty ones :/

i played Dead Space at night but with the lights on and the audio still scared the shit outta me sometimes. so yea, i understand your view.

last two chapters feel like the longest, imo. altho i haven't played it since launch so my memory is hazy. as for maxing out guns, it'll take you 2-3 replays to max out everything. the game's achievement/trophy for max everything is the most time consuming.

itsinmyveins

LiK said:
last two chapters feel like the longest, imo. altho i haven't played it since launch so my memory is hazy. as for maxing out guns, it'll take you 2-3 replays to max out everything. the game's achievement/trophy for max everything is the most time consuming.

I don't really care about getting achievements. If there's a easy one I can do without it affecting my gameplay I'll do it, but otherwise no. I'm definitely not replaying a game just because of them. Most of the time I just play the game and do the various little challanges I stumble upon during it and get a few achievements that way, and I rarely look at the achievement list.

But I've nearly maxed out both the assault rifle--which works really well now later in the game when I've upgraded it a bit--and the plasma cutter, except for those node slots where there aren't any upgrades.

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't really care about getting achievements. If there's a easy one I can do without it affecting my gameplay I'll do it, but otherwise no. I'm definitely not replaying a game just because of them. Most of the time I just play the game and do the various little challanges I stumble upon during it and get a few achievements that way, and I rarely look at the achievement list.

But I've nearly maxed out both the assault rifle--which works really well now later in the game when I've upgraded it a bit--and the plasma cutter, except for those node slots where there aren't any upgrades.

yea, i haven't bothered with that achievement but i like that it's there when i feel like replaying the game. i wanna replay with my upgraded suits and kick some ass again. ;)

good choice for maxing out the rifle and cutter. they're actually quite useful for the last two chapters.

itsinmyveins

LiK said:
yea, i haven't bothered with that achievement but i like that it's there when i feel like replaying the game. i wanna replay with my upgraded suits and kick some ass again. ;)

good choice for maxing out the rifle and cutter. they're actually quite useful for the last two chapters.

Well, you get a lot of ammo for the rifle and cutter and I wasn't certain which of the other weapons I should use. I've mainly been carrying around rifle, cutter, that charge beam and the line weapon and mainly been upgrading the suit and the first two weapons. I tried the flamethrower but it seemed to be all kinds of crappy.

I don't know how I'm supposed to be able to pay for the last suit though. There are six of them, right? The fifth one cost like 60.000 I think, and it put me back a lot with so much going to buying nodes as well.

Anyhow, it's a damn good game and looks great. It'd have been even better if you got more time outside the ship or in the vacuum areas inside without having to hurry up because due to the lack of oxygen. There are a lot of narrow areas and whatnot, but not that many looking like the bridge--a huge open area with large windows.

usea

Just got this in from gamefly. Skimming the last page tells me I should increase the difficulty? I don't care about achievements and I only plan on playing through the game once.

Haunted

usea said:
Just got this in from gamefly. Skimming the last page tells me I should increase the difficulty? I don't care about achievements and I only plan on playing through the game once.
Easy is too easy.

Normal is fine.

Hard is nerve-wracking.

RavenFox

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Second playthrough bra.

I started the game on Sunday (PC) and I just finished chapter 11 last night. I started on Easy but after 3 hours my save game changed to Medium some how. I found it harder for an hour or so but have since adjusted and I'm now probably way overpowered. The balance turned on the hydro deck - it suddenly because easier again for me.

Anyway, great game. It's like a mix of RE4 and Bioshock. I've found myself liking it more and more as I go on because it becomes more diverse and there's some cool anti-grav game play segments and things.

It's not terribly scary - it's given me a couple of shock jumps and some slightly raised heart rates, but nothing like Undying. Mind you, I did have a 'nightmare' last night. I was like half-asleep or something when I saw a "Leaper" on my bedroom floor trying to get me. I jumped up to a standing position on my bed and actually yelled out before I realised it was just a dream.

itsinmyveins

I just finished the game! Good game. About the ending though:

That woman--can't remember her name--who's on the ship and give one last scare before the credit rolls. Totally unnecessary and mostly silly. Would have been better off if it ended Alien style, with Isaac just floating out into space in cryo sleep or something like that.

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I just finished the game! Good game. About the ending though:

That woman--can't remember her name--who's on the ship and give one last scare before the credit rolls. Totally unnecessary and mostly silly. Would have been better off if it ended Alien style, with Isaac just floating out into space in cryo sleep or something like that.

yea, i think the devs wanted to show us the horror of what happened to his GF and also have Isaac killed off for double the effect. i don't mind it much but i do agree with you that i would've liked a nice quiet end to the game to show the isolation after that climatic battle. not sure if Isaac will be back for a sequel because of the ending.

ChryZ

I've finished the game a few month ago, but never really posted in this thread. Well, better late than never: very awesome game, enjoyed ever second of it.

itsinmyveins

LiK said:
yea, i think the devs wanted to show us the horror of what happened to his GF and also have Isaac killed off for double the effect. i don't mind it much but i do agree with you that i would've liked a nice quiet end to the game to show the isolation after that climatic battle. not sure if Isaac will be back for a sequel because of the ending.

I mean, if they wanted to kill Isaac off they could just let that happen in the next one by simply saying that a body was found in a spaceship. It'd have been even better if you'd get a short radio transmission after the credits a'la MGS, where you hear either the military or the company discussing that they found the ship and no one was aboard or a dead body was found. Simple and hardly something new, but it would work better IMHO.

Anyhow, I might actually pick Dead Space Extraction up for the Wii when it's released.

LiK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I mean, if they wanted to kill Isaac off they could just let that happen in the next one by simply saying that a body was found in a spaceship. It'd have been even better if you'd get a short radio transmission after the credits a'la MGS, where you hear either the military or the company discussing that they found the ship and no one was aboard or a dead body was found. Simple and hardly something new, but it would work better IMHO.

Anyhow, I might actually pick Dead Space Extraction up for the Wii when it's released.

yea
better to leave the ending open-ended instead of limiting themselves by showing us that Isaac died. or maybe he fought off that undead GF but he went nuts for the sequel. it would be pretty fun to play a psychotic Isaac for the sequel, hehe.

yea, i'm gonna get the Wii prequel. i like the world they created. i bought the Dead Space LE and it came with a graphic novel and DVD but i haven't checked them out. i think ill do that in preparation for the Wii game.

dalyr95

I disagree I liked the ending
its not clear, if its a hallucination, or an actual monster
. That's the feeling I got off the ending

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Picked this up tonight...

WOW....ive only played chapter 1 so far, but everything about this game just blows me away!!!! Cant wait to dig into this even further!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I liked the very ending.

it was just a little horror-flick homage, I'd be really surprised if Isaac isn't back for Dead Space 2

Cdammen

I completed it for the first time yesterday on normal. I'm easily scared but somehow I managed to play this game. It has got more jump scares than brooding menace, I'm OK with shock scares, I think.

The game got kinda hard towards the end but I had a lot of medkits, and
the last cinematic where he sits on the ship and sighs caught me off guard. I jumped when he saw her/it.
:D

The visuals were top notch but the sound, even on my shitty stereo set, was phenomenal. I can't wait to play Dante's Inferno now. Visceral Games has got the sound design, ambiance and music down to an art.

bluemax

Banned
Finished the game tonight on easy. I think playing on the lowest difficulty made the game feel extremely repetitive. I had to take several long breaks (days) from playing because the whole "go here, flip this switch, grab that, trigger this lua script etc" formula wore thin. I'm glad the game wasn't any longer because the formula wore thin. 10 hours instead of 12 might've been about right.

Also fuck whoever designed
the turret fights
. Up the sensitivity on the controls for those sections and maybe they aren't so assy.

It's weird, I know the mini game sections throughout the game were supposed to break up the repetition of the overall formula but they mostly just annoyed me or felt out of place.

Overall a good game, first survival horror type game I've ever finished.

For the sequel they should make the upgrade system less stupid. And find a better way to add variety besides so so mini games.

Got this off Goozex after having owned it and subsequently trading it in a few months back. Boy how I missed it. Definitely one of my favorite games of 2008, and #1 survival horror - miles ahead of Resident Evil IMO (for my tastes).

I agree that the audio is what makes the game a mindfuck.

vazel

Banned
Been playing this all day. I am thrilled that this is a real survival horror and not just another action game called a survival horror like RE4&5. Struggling with resources and reloading, yep that's survival horror I love that.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Survival horror genre is alive!!!! :D

I'm playing through for the first time, and I love it but man, it's not super scary. I can't even tell you why it's not scary though. The sound and atmosphere are fantastic, but I don't really feel dread and outside of jump scares, the enemies aren't terribly scary either. It's like it should be scary, but it's not. Still love it, hopefully 2 will be scarier.

I tend to be more afraid of something if the threat of death and the punishment for getting killed is greater. Like if I'm delivering pizza to some bad neighborhood I don't need bleeding walls or ghosts wandering around to get me to crap my pants.

Needless to say a game where I respawn almost immediately where I got killed at proves to be more of an annoyance than a scare(especially those load-times..blech).

Oh and damn those tiny bastards that attack in groups of 10+. Big waste of ammo and they love to pop up whenever I turn a corner. Any better way to deal with them aside from stasis + running around? Maybe i should try stasis + stomp next time.

vazel

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh and damn those tiny bastards that attack in groups of 10+. Big waste of ammo and they love to pop up whenever I turn a corner. Any better way to deal with them aside from stasis + running around? Maybe i should try stasis + stomp next time.
I thought it was pretty obvious that you flamethrower them.

Top Bottom