• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Tytree

Neo Member
BigBoss said:
So its Saturday afternoon, its 150 degrees outside and I'm bored out of my mind, what do I do? I know I'll play Dead Space and get the trophy for beating it on impossible, that will net me a platinum, awesome. Loads up Dead Space and theres no impossible difficulty that I can select, only hard. Like with all of life's problems I turn to the internet for answers and I discover you can only start an impossible run right after you beat the game, if you turn off your system it forgets that you unlocked impossible. WTF is this shit, who thought this was a good idea and why hasn't it been patched. Is there any workaround for this, maybe somebody has a game save before the final boss or something that I can use.
The problem is that game saves are locked to the player's gamertag. You could disconnect your 360 from the internet and make that person's tag on your console, but obviously achievements for your own tag can't be obtained that way.

Look at it this way-- this gives you an opportunity to take advantage of the Military Suit trick.

cluto

BigBoss said:
So its Saturday afternoon, its 150 degrees outside and I'm bored out of my mind, what do I do? I know I'll play Dead Space and get the trophy for beating it on impossible, that will net me a platinum, awesome. Loads up Dead Space and theres no impossible difficulty that I can select, only hard. Like with all of life's problems I turn to the internet for answers and I discover you can only start an impossible run right after you beat the game, if you turn off your system it forgets that you unlocked impossible. WTF is this shit, who thought this was a good idea and why hasn't it been patched. Is there any workaround for this, maybe somebody has a game save before the final boss or something that I can use.
I played Dead Space (on 360) when it first came out and beat it on Normal a few times. I just rented it again last week because I wanted to get the last two achievements. Loaded it up, started a new game, no option for Impossible. Shit. So I loaded up an old clear save from a previous playthrough, let the opening cinematic play for a few minutes, quit, and tried to start a new game. It gave me the option to play on impossible that time. Crisis averted! Hopefully it will work for you.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just came here to post that the 'Dont get cocky kid' trophy was the single most frustrating thing I've ever tried to do and it took me like 30 tries!!!

For real....

That is all.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I just beat this game about 30 minutes ago. Saw all the twists coming, as I'm sure many people did, but still a very enjoyable game.

GAF was right - turning off the music really helps the atmosphere of this game. I currently have 620/1000 points, so I still have some stuff to do. :D

Ravidrath

Just loaded this up for the first time... have to say, this is the scariest game I've played, pretty much ever? Last time a game had me this on edge was System Shock 2.

Curious, though... what's the difference between the different difficulty levels? More ammo / fewer HP on monsters? I don't really replay games, so I thought I'd try starting out on Hard. After getting through the first chapter, I felt it was maybe too difficult to really enjoy the game my first time through?

Maggot9

Banned
so i bought this game yesterday, started on Normal. Beat the first chapter, and i've only used the default slicer weapon. would I be ok on a first playthrough to get through the whole game with just that weapon?

Gart

Playing "normally" the first time through would seem to be ideal, i.e. just do what you feel like doing. The default gun is a good general all purpose gun so you shouldn't have any problems if you stick with it the whole time.

I don't know why anyone would want to do a one gun run on the first time through, though. I'd always be thinking about the other guns and be curious what they do and wanting to try them out.

zoukka

HARD feels hard only during the first mission really. So get that through and your good. Normal is a waste of everyones time. My friend died like once playing on normal :/

Feindflug

Maggot9 said:
so i bought this game yesterday, started on Normal. Beat the first chapter, and i've only used the default slicer weapon. would I be ok on a first playthrough to get through the whole game with just that weapon?

Plasma Cutter is an awesome weapon, you won't have any problem especially on Normal difficulty.

BTW I've finished the game only once using only the Plasma Cutter...I guess I have to replay it some time to see the other weapons. :lol

hteng

Banned
Maggot9 said:

the first gun is like the best gun in the game, it is accurate, you can flip it for vertical or horizontal cutting, rapid fire, decent - good damage, good amount of ammo. The gun is godly when fully upgraded, it does suck at dealing with the little things that comes in groups though and less efficient at crowd control (thats where the force gun comes in).

AKS

Feindflug said:
Plasma Cutter is an awesome weapon, you won't have any problem especially on Normal difficulty.

BTW I've finished the game only once using only the Plasma Cutter...I guess I have to replay it some time to see the other weapons. :lol

The ripper is an excellent weapon for dealing with the weaker enemies.

ArjanN

hteng said:
the first gun is like the best gun in the game, it is accurate, you can flip it for vertical or horizontal cutting, rapid fire, decent - good damage, good amount of ammo. The gun is godly when fully upgraded, it does suck at dealing with the little things that comes in groups though and less efficient at crowd control (thats where the force gun comes in).

But there's no real reason to limit yourself to one gun, you can upgrade like 3 or 4 guns over the course of the game.

The flying buzzsaw weapon is also awesome because it also works very well against the little things that come in groups, and it is uses the least amount of ammo to kill things. You can completely take most enemies apart with 1 or 2 saws.

Also, it's a flying buzzsaw.

Near the end of the game I upgraded the force gun just to try it out, and it becomes almost broken because it hits everything in front of you in an arc and it also knocks enemies down, so you can just hit them over and over, and the can't even reach you.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Ravidrath said:
Just loaded this up for the first time... have to say, this is the scariest game I've played, pretty much ever? Last time a game had me this on edge was System Shock 2.

Curious, though... what's the difference between the different difficulty levels? More ammo / fewer HP on monsters? I don't really replay games, so I thought I'd try starting out on Hard. After getting through the first chapter, I felt it was maybe too difficult to really enjoy the game my first time through?

My only playthrough was on hard, didn't have any real difficulty with it.

As a qualifier, I suck at videogames :)

ajim

I played through on medium the first time and found it perfect, however, I'm in no way a difficulty whore. I like to give myself a bit of a fighting chance :D

Played through on both hard and impossible afterwards and to me, there was a considerable difference between the three.

I'd say most people are fine on medium.

BigBoss

Exarchos said:
I played Dead Space (on 360) when it first came out and beat it on Normal a few times. I just rented it again last week because I wanted to get the last two achievements. Loaded it up, started a new game, no option for Impossible. Shit. So I loaded up an old clear save from a previous playthrough, let the opening cinematic play for a few minutes, quit, and tried to start a new game. It gave me the option to play on impossible that time. Crisis averted! Hopefully it will work for you.

That actually worked, thanks a lot.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing my first playthrough on Hard and I'm on Chapter 3. I was wondering which weapons were the best. Right now I have the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and the Flamethrower. I just got the schematics for the Ripper and was wondering if I should switch that in if its better than any of the others. The Pulse Rifle is my least favorite gun so far.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Maggot9 said:

Yeah you would. I beat the game first only using the plasma cutter. And honestly, thats the real way to play it. It was easy as pie even on hard when you have other weapons to choose from.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Oh noes.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6213771.html

According to sources close to Electronic Arts, this afternoon the staff of Visceral Games were informed that the internal studio, formerly known as EA Redwood Shores, was losing two of its senior members--general manager Glen Schofield and COO Michael Condrey. The pair then reportedly let it be known they were going to work at Activision's new studio, which remains unnamed.

Schofield is best known for being the driving force behind Dead Space, which was pitched internally to EA executives by a group of dedicated developers. Most recently, he has been promoting Visceral's upcoming project, Dante's Inferno. In an interview earlier this year, Schofield told GameSpot several unannounced projects are also in the pipeline at the studio.

I hope this doesn't negatively impact the sequel. :(

Well, it's not like the main programmers, producers or artists are gone, but I hope the best fate for the sequel.

I finished it again today, I could get the maxed out gold trophy before I finished the last chapter :D

rhino4evr

Just started playing this last ngiht..on level 2. First thought..."Why did I wait so long to play this?"

I just finished RE5, and have to say I had more fun on chapter 1 of Dead Space, then I did the entire RE5 experience. Seriously, this is what I wanted from RE5. Action packed, but still scary as hell.

So GaF, what is the best first secondary weapon to purchase.

My choice right now is The Line Gun, The Flame Thrower, or the Pulse Gun...decisions..decisions..
My heart is set on the The Line Gun..but im not 100% positive yet.

Nachkebia

Banned
Finally, I am here to state everything I think about this game :lol

Let me start from the fact that I was hyped for this game, it had everything I like about gaming, but man oh man, it is an aweful game, in absolutly every way, well okey, graphics, specificly light is great, seriusly I don`t understand people likeing this game, story is so bad, story telling is even worse, it is not scary, okey killing all sorts of ugly creatures are fun but for how many hours? I would not say a word if this game was not praised as it is now, I hate when people bring example dead space as if its an etalon of perfection, I also think RE5 was as bad as Dead Space, uninspiring, stupid, soulless, experience :lol

Thank you for listening :lol

LiK

rhino4evr said:
Just started playing this last ngiht..on level 2. First thought..."Why did I wait so long to play this?"

I just finished RE5, and have to say I had more fun on chapter 1 of Dead Space, then I did the entire RE5 experience. Seriously, this is what I wanted from RE5. Action packed, but still scary as hell.

So GaF, what is the best first secondary weapon to purchase.

My choice right now is The Line Gun, The Flame Thrower, or the Pulse Gun...decisions..decisions..
My heart is set on the The Line Gun..but im not 100% positive yet.

avoid the Flame Thrower. worst gun in the game.

rhino4evr

Nachkebia said:

Let me start from the fact that I was hyped for this game, it had everything I like about gaming, but man oh man, it is an aweful game, in absolutly every way, well okey, graphics, specificly light is great, seriusly I don`t understand people likeing this game, story is so bad, story telling is even worse, it is not scary, okey killing all sorts of ugly creatures are fun but for how many hours? I would not say a word if this game was not praised as it is now, I hate when people bring example dead space as if its an etalon of perfection, I also think RE5 was as bad as Dead Space, uninspiring, stupid, soulless, experience :lol

what the fuck are you laughing about?

I had little to no expectations going into this..so maybe that's why Im so impressed, but really I think it has more to do with the accurate controls, scary atmosphere, and amazing presentation. I'm a Metorid fan, so the backtracking thing doesn't bother me. It's still very early to make a final opinion, but so far Im pretty much blown away.

LiK

rhino4evr said:
why is the flame thrower always the worst gun in every game?

So if you were going to pick the Line Gun or Pulse RIfle, what would you pick?

the Flame Thrower's range is incredibly short and not very versatile compared to other guns in your arsenal. i would recommend the Line Gun over the Pulse Rifle as your main secondary. it does way more damage even without a lot of upgrades.

Nachkebia

Banned
rhino4evr said:
what the fuck are you laughing about?

I had little to no expectations going into this..so maybe that's why Im so impressed, but really I think it has more to do with the accurate controls, scary atmosphere, and amazing presentation. I'm a Metorid fan, so the backtracking thing doesn't bother me. It's still very early to make a final opinion, but so far Im pretty much blown away.

I am happy for you but I am laughing because I can finally express how crappy this game is :lol

Nachkebia said:

what the fuck?

rhino4evr

Nachkebia said:
I am happy for you but I am laughing because I can finally express how crappy this game is :lol

:lol OMG HILARIOUS. :lol

Why do people feel the need to laugh when expressing their opinion? Is it because your nervous no one with agree with you?

Nachkebia said:

catgif.gif

Also, periods are your friend.

rhino4evr

LiK said:
the Flame Thrower's range is incredibly short and not very versatile compared to other guns in your arsenal. i would recommend the Line Gun over the Pulse Rifle as your main secondary. it does way more damage even without a lot of upgrades.

Ok I think Im going to just upgrade the

Line Gun
Force Gun

instead of buying all the extra weapons. Maybe I will get the contact gun, if im stock on a boss.

Since Nachkebia said he likes games like this, I'm super curious what games he is comparing Dead Space to that gives him such a negative view of it. Or maybe not.. I smell a troll

Nachkebia

Banned
Fisticuffs said:
Since Nachkebia said he likes games like this, I'm super curious what games he is comparing Dead Space to that gives him such a negative view of it. Or maybe not.. I smell a troll

Why would I troll? I own the game, I just had high expectations and I got hurt, Games I enjoyed such as Silent Hill series, old RE series, Siren, I am also big fun of psyco suspense and surealism in cinematography, big fan of lynch, bunuel and so on....

as I said, I would never say anything if it was just another game nobody cared about it, I have played some bad games, but Dead Spaces gets so much praise, I just had to, my moral would not let me :)

Nachkebia said:
Finally, I am here to state everything I think about this game

Let me start from the fact that I was hyped for this game, it had everything I like about gaming, but man oh man, it is an aweful game, in absolutly every way, well okey, graphics, specificly light is great, seriusly I don`t understand people likeing this game, story is so bad, story telling is even worse, it is not scary, okey killing all sorts of ugly creatures are fun but for how many hours? I would not say a word if this game was not praised as it is now, I hate when people bring example dead space as if its an etalon of perfection, I also think RE5 was as bad as Dead Space, uninspiring, stupid, soulless, experience

Thank you for listening

You got to be kidding me, if not then it's pretty obvious your tastes in videogames really sucks.
Maybe you exagerate I don't know, the game is just not as bad as you make it out to be, maybe it doesn't deserve all the praise it gets, but it's by no means a uninspiring, stupid and soulless experience, that's just factually wrong.

rhino4evr said:

Line Gun
Force Gun

instead of buying all the extra weapons. Maybe I will get the contact gun, if im stock on a boss.

You should be more than ok with just those and the plasma cutter.

Nizz

Nachkebia said:

Tha fuck?...

LiK

rhino4evr said:

Line Gun
Force Gun

+1 for the Force Gun. very handy against enemies that rush you.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Did anyone else play this game ( first time through ) using only the plasma cutter? Rather than waiting for the second playthrough?

I did, and despite others saying it would kill your game experience, I found it only enhanced mine. Seriously, plasma cutter is the best weapon anyways and by far the coolest.

Nachkebia said:
Why would I troll? I own the game, I just had high expectations and I got hurt, Games I enjoyed such as Silent Hill series, old RE series, Siren, I am also big fun of psyco suspense and surealism in cinematography, big fan of lynch, bunuel and so on....

as I said, I would never say anything if it was just another game nobody cared about it, I have played some bad games, but Dead Spaces gets so much praise, I just had to, my moral would not let me :)

ok so compared to these games, you don't care much for the story of Dead Space. Fine. but after complaining about how its told, compared to these other games? Seeing the same monsters over again compared to, what, Silent hill? REALLY? you have no idea what you are talking about.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Maggot9 said:
That's what I did, on Hard. :D

LiK

K2Valor said:
Did anyone else play this game ( first time through ) using only the plasma cutter? Rather than waiting for the second playthrough?

I did, and despite others saying it would kill your game experience, I found it only enhanced mine. Seriously, plasma cutter is the best weapon anyways and by far the coolest.

plasma cutter is def the most useful but i played with all the weapons. all the other guns' secondary fire is pretty fun to play with.

rhino4evr said:

Line Gun
Force Gun

Definitely the Line Gun. It's basically a larger version of the plasma cutter.

I still have to finish the game on Impossible mode to get the last achievement. The question is, do I use the military suit glitch or not? Any thoughts?

Khaqan

Neo Member
K2Valor said:

I also only used the Plasma Cutter on my first playthrough (on Normal Mode). Then I had to play again up to chapter 12 to max all my guns. Then I played the Impossible mode with the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle (really good for the bosses who have yellow stuff you have to break).

So it took me about 3 playthroughs to get all the platinum. Should have played on Easy, probably would have gotten max guns and equipment in one playthrough.

Anybody else hate the LONG boss fight in level 6? Took about 5 tries but finally beat it in about 10 minutes (On Impossible Mode).

rhino4evr said:
why is the flame thrower always the worst gun in every game?

So if you were going to pick the Line Gun or Pulse RIfle, what would you pick?

I didn't like the flame thrower at all but I love the Line gun and the plasma cutter. :)

Top Bottom