• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

ukiraros

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh and damn those tiny bastards that attack in groups of 10+. Big waste of ammo and they love to pop up whenever I turn a corner. Any better way to deal with them aside from stasis + running around? Maybe i should try stasis + stomp next time.

The Force Gun is your best friend against these guys. One good shot could take out all of them.

Chao

Bpatrol said:
I'm playing through for the first time, and I love it but man, it's not super scary. I can't even tell you why it's not scary though. The sound and atmosphere are fantastic, but I don't really feel dread and outside of jump scares, the enemies aren't terribly scary either. It's like it should be scary, but it's not. Still love it, hopefully 2 will be scarier.
From my experience, the game had a few "HOLY SHEET FUCK THIS ARE YOU SERIOUS" moments on the first three or four chapters.

Playing on 5.1, lights off.

Meesh

I saw a new trailer for a movie called "Pandorus", I immediately thougth of Dead Space, I saw this thread, couldn't resist...umm...yeah...check out the trialer, you'll know what I mean. /derail?

Wowbagger

Using statis, then throwing exploding canister works well against those tiny critters. There are usually a canister or two nearby. When I couldn't find any, I'd just use statis, then run past or stomp them to bits.

ArjanN

Evilink said:
I saw a new trailer for a movie called "Pandorus", I immediately thougth of Dead Space, I saw this thread, couldn't resist...umm...yeah...check out the trialer, you'll know what I mean. /derail?

It's called Pandorum

manzo

I just finished my first playthrough last night, played the game through on Hard.

The final battle was pretty fucking epic. I actually said 'WOW' because of the visuals.

I was really satisfied that I didn't start the game with a lower difficulty, Hard gave a nice challenge. The difficulty was really nicely balanced, no frustrating moments and you had to take every encounter seriously.

Excellent game. I might even tackle the unlocked difficulty sometime later.

can anyone comment on how good the PC version looks at high res (I have a 1900x1080p LCD) versus the 360 version? Is there a benefit in terms of details (like cool textures etc)? For GTA IV, there is a huge difference in visual quality especially in terms of being able to read every little sign etc. OTOH with mass effect as great as the game looks on PC, its not a whole different experience.

I ask because I have the 360 one still which I finished after it came out, but plan on playing through again. I dont have the PC version, but would buy if its nicer on that platform...

MoFuzz

I had a blast making my way through the PC version. Just finished the game for the first time last week on normal.

There was one odd glitch where I fell through an elevator into some kind of infinite void. But otherwise, the game was bug-free. Played with a wireless 360 controller and rumble enabled, it was just like the console experience, but with cleaner smoother visuals.

I'm pretty sure PS3/Xbox 360 versions are locked at 30fps whereas a decent/midrange PC will handle the game at 1080p/60fps+. The AA used is some kind of funky software edge blurring (not true AA).Other than that, I think the game looked/ran awesome. Very crisp and eye-pleasing at 1920x1200.

Anyone looking to tackle it on PC should find Xpadder or some kind of gamepad tweaking software though, as the options for adjusting gamepads are very limited in-game. (Default aiming controls are way too sensitive)

The games are identical in terms of gameplay between platforms obviously. You are just getting a nice facelift on PC. The extra framerate and resolution is very noticiable to me. In fact, I sold my 360 version after I saw it run on PC

LiK

cleveridea said:
can anyone comment on how good the PC version looks at high res (I have a 1900x1080p LCD) versus the 360 version? Is there a benefit in terms of details (like cool textures etc)? For GTA IV, there is a huge difference in visual quality especially in terms of being able to read every little sign etc. OTOH with mass effect as great as the game looks on PC, its not a whole different experience.

I ask because I have the 360 one still which I finished after it came out, but plan on playing through again. I dont have the PC version, but would buy if its nicer on that platform...

Gamespot did a detailed comparison feature between all three versions and the PC is considered the best version if your PC can handle it.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202552/p-2.html

sentry65

I just went from playing Dead Space to playing Resident Evil 5 and ugh.

Hopefully RE6 takes some notes from Dead Space because RE5 sure feels old fashioned after playing Dead Space

vazel

Banned
What Resident Evil needs to do is go back to being old fashioned. Most survival horrors these days are just more action games. In survival horrors a large part of the difficulty has to come from struggling with resources which is part of the tension and not going through the game blasting a thousand enemies per room Rambo style.

I'm real happy with Dead Space it's the best example of survival horror this gen. I'm glad EA is pushing their full weight behind Dead Space trying to build a franchise.

epmode

LiK said:
Gamespot did a detailed comparison feature between all three versions and the PC is considered the best version if your PC can handle it.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202552/p-2.html
The PC version runs surprisingly well and it looks *great*. I can pretty easily get 60 FPS at insane resolutions while other games give me trouble. It was a bitch to get my controller working for it, though (you'd probably be fine with a wired 360 controller running the default drivers).

borsdy

Banned
Would it be smart to play my first playthrough on hard with plasma cutter only? I have the free obsidian/elite suit dlc from many months ago.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
borsdy said:
Would it be smart to play my first playthrough on hard with plasma cutter only? I have the free obsidian/elite suit dlc from many months ago.

Yes, go ahead. Will save you at least one playthrough (if you are going for all the trophies/achievements) and it's also how it's meant to be played IMO.

epmode

borsdy said:
Would it be smart to play my first playthrough on hard with plasma cutter only?
If you want to hate everything about the game, sure! The other weapons are lots of fun. And hard mode right off the bat will be frustrating.

..but if you're mostly interested in achivements, then go for it I guess.
I have the free obsidian/elite suit dlc from many months ago.
The DLC suits are great at first but I think the final regular suit is better. And I don't think the game allows you to update from a DLC suit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
epmode said:
And I don't think the game allows you to update from a DLC suit.

Pretty sure you can. I switched to a DLC suit mid-game and kept upgrading my health and stasis levels no prob. IIRC.

Muffdraul

Yeah, you can swap back and forth between any DLC suit and the military suit at will. The only thing you can't do is go back to any of the regular 1 thru 5 suits.

mrpeabody

Dead Space is an outstanding game that reminds me of System Shock 2 in all the right ways. I've finished this game on Normal, Hard, and Impossible, and I'm still going back to grab a couple more achievements. That a single-player game can still be fun the fourth time through says volumes about its levels of quality and polish.

And playing Resi 5 after Dead Space is like going back in time. Everything grates, from the controls (WTF, I can't even strafe around corners?) to the kindergarten-level storytelling ("Looks like something bad happened here <Press X>").

edit: Short list of things that are awesome about Dead Space:

- It looks awesome. The bridge, the bosses, every time you look out the window or go into space
- It has the gravity gun from HL2
- It has the most earth-shattering "engine firing" effect ever
- It sounds awesome, especially the atmospherics
- You have to make hard choices about upgrades
- The setting is serious
- All the quests make sense (no "put the jewel in the statue's hand" nonsense)
- It hardly ever takes control away from you, with the exception of the opening cutscene
- The wheezers on Environmental Hazard look and sound completely disgusting
- You always know where you are; you always know what to do next
- The hud is completely in-world
- Generous save points and automatic checkpoints
- The "entering vacuum" effect
- The "shoot their limbs" mechanic genuinely makes combat more interesting
- You can freeze space zombies and cut them into little pieces
- After something jumps you with no warning and you panic and fire your whole clip into it, you can stomp on its face for good measure

sentry65

mrpeabody said:
And I totally agree about the difficulty of playing Resi 5 after Dead Space. From the controls (WTF, I can't even strafe around corners?) to the kindergarten-level storytelling ("Looks like something bad happened here <Press X>"), it feels like I'm fighting the game instead of playing it.

totally agree
it's pretty awful when you think about it.

I'm also annoyed at how much the camera jumps around when walking and running in RE5. It's annoying to have to keep shifting your focus around as the camera goes in and out every time you switch from running and walking.

In Dead Space, if you walk or run Isaac always stays in the same position on screen while the camera perspective goes deeper. It feels solid since the camera isn't moving in and out all the time.

that and I keep pressing L2 to run in RE5, and end up going into knife stance. Why do you have to "ready/aim" your knife in the first place?

I really wish I could remap that stupid run button from being X

playing RE5 or RE4, my wife would occasionally jump from zombies suddenly being in your blind spot, but that's about it

Dead Space though, she'll actually get a little freaked out and uneasy from the situations themselves, on top of monsters jumping out when you actually don't expect them to. Unlike RE5 where you pretty much expect zombies to come at you all the time. Also the monsters don't just run up to you then suddenly start slowly walking towards you

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Finished the game today. What an experience, the game blew me away and I loved every minute (okay, except the
awfully-controlled cannon shooting
sections and the
final boss
). Awesome atmosphere and excellent sound design. I wish I had the time to give it another run, but I'm afraid it'll have to wait a couple months, till I get my PS3 back.
About the second spoiler-tag (beware, endgame spoilarz ahead):
I expected something more epic from the one hive mind that was controlling every single necromorph... okay, it was a huge ass monster with lots of tentacles and yellow glands, but it honestly didn't feel more important than, say, the Leviathan. It was still fun fighting it, anyway, and I loved the final scare.

Jocchan said:
Finished the game today. What an experience, the game blew me away and I loved every minute (okay, except the
awfully-controlled cannon shooting
sections and the
final boss
). Awesome atmosphere and excellent sound design. I wish I had the time to give it another run, but I'm afraid it'll have to wait a couple months, till I get my PS3 back.
I expected something more epic from the one hive mind that was controlling every single necromorph... okay, it was a huge ass monster with lots of tentacles and yellow glands, but it honestly didn't feel more important than, say, the Leviathan. It was still fun fighting it, anyway, and I loved the final scare.

I agree that the final boss was pretty anticlimactic but I thought it was awesome when he picked you up by the leg and you had to shoot the glands while hanging upside down.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I agree that the final boss was pretty anticlimactic but I thought it was awesome when he picked you up by the leg and you had to shoot the glands while hanging upside down.
Yup, loved that part :D
Oh, and he also
dismembered the bitch, so he wasn't completely useless... it still didn't feel "epic" enough (maybe more hallucinations showing how it was, in fact, a hive mind would have helped).
Another thing I loved about this game is how they took some of the best cues from Event Horizon, Alien, Silent Hill and Doom 3, and made an excellent game around them.
Everything felt right and natural. Excellent indeed.

Just finished this game. Awesome atmosphere combined with a great presentation. The only downside for me was the zero-gravity parts. Leaping around just got me so dizzy.

SpacLock

sazabirules said:
I just picked the game up for 20 bucks at Gamecrazy. So is it recommended to first play through the game on Hard?

I played through on Normal the first time and it actually felt normal. Not too tough and not too easy, but I did wish that I went through Hard first because I cherished every damn second of that game and I didn't want it to end. Playing on Hard will at least make the game last slightly longer due too dying. Seriously though... Cherish every damn second. You won't want this game to end.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Well it sounds like Hard is a good place to start. I have another question. I started playing the game and finished chapter 1 at a friend's house and was wondering if it's worth to get more inventory space early on?

Jocchan said:

Agree and I thought the final boss was also incredibly easy

RavenFox

Banned
mrpeabody said:
Dead Space is an outstanding game that reminds me of System Shock 2 in all the right ways. I've finished this game on Normal, Hard, and Impossible, and I'm still going back to grab a couple more achievements. That a single-player game can still be fun the fourth time through says volumes about its levels of quality and polish.

And playing Resi 5 after Dead Space is like going back in time. Everything grates, from the controls (WTF, I can't even strafe around corners?) to the kindergarten-level storytelling ("Looks like something bad happened here <Press X>").

edit: Short list of things that are awesome about Dead Space:

- It looks awesome. The bridge, the bosses, every time you look out the window or go into space
- It has the gravity gun from HL2
- It has the most earth-shattering "engine firing" effect ever
- It sounds awesome, especially the atmospherics
- You have to make hard choices about upgrades
- The setting is serious
- All the quests make sense (no "put the jewel in the statue's hand" nonsense)
- It hardly ever takes control away from you, with the exception of the opening cutscene
- The wheezers on Environmental Hazard look and sound completely disgusting
- You always know where you are; you always know what to do next
- The hud is completely in-world
- Generous save points and automatic checkpoints
- The "entering vacuum" effect
- The "shoot their limbs" mechanic genuinely makes combat more interesting
- You can freeze space zombies and cut them into little pieces
- After something jumps you with no warning and you panic and fire your whole clip into it, you can stomp on its face for good measure
So much right in this post

AKS said:
F***, 114 pages!?! I just want to know if the PS3 version supports lossless audio. Anyone know?
Nah but you will not be disappointed by the sound. Its incredible on PS3.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
RavenFox said:
So much right in this post

Nah but you will not be disappointed by the sound. Its incredible on PS3.

Indeed....its one of my favorite parts of this game!

"- After something jumps you with no warning and you panic and fire your whole clip into it, you can stomp on its face for good measure"

:lol I do that all the time!

Plus as you stomp the arms, legs, and head off, it adds towards number of dismemberments counter for those trophies....

soldat7

TTP said:
Yes, go ahead. Will save you at least one playthrough (if you are going for all the trophies/achievements) and it's also how it's meant to be played IMO.

I agree. Play the game on Normal with the Plasma Cutter only, then go again on Hard with whatever weapon you want (you'll still go back to the Plasma Cutter time and time again ;) )

TheExodu5

Banned
I got the game on PS3 at launch. Also picked up the 360 version a month back or so from the Futureshop $10 sale.

I am hesitant to get rid of my PS3 version just because of the awesome audio.

Any word on the differences in between the two versions? I haven't popped the 360 one in yet. I plan on giving it another playthrough soon.

BKXB

Economist
So I'm early in the game, about to buy my first weapon.

Line gun make sense? This isn't first store I've reached, so there are a couple other options.
Or should I just upgrade my plasma cutter all the way?

Also, not adding consequences to those secret codes for extra nodes, etc. makes it really hard not to use them.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
BKXB said:
So I'm early in the game, about to buy my first weapon.

Line gun make sense? This isn't first store I've reached, so there are a couple other options.
Or should I just upgrade my plasma cutter all the way?

Also, not adding consequences to those secret codes for extra nodes, etc. makes it really hard not to use them.

Codes? How do you know for sure that there arent any consequences? Im asking seriously?

LiK

TheExodu5 said:
I got the game on PS3 at launch. Also picked up the 360 version a month back or so from the Futureshop $10 sale.

I am hesitant to get rid of my PS3 version just because of the awesome audio.

Any word on the differences in between the two versions? I haven't popped the 360 one in yet. I plan on giving it another playthrough soon.

they're pretty much identical except for some minor stuff from what i read in all the head2head comparisons. anyone who tells you otherwise have no clue what they're talking about :)

soldat7

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Codes? How do you know for sure that there arent any consequences? Im asking seriously?

I'm pretty sure a developer confirmed (as well as several folks here on GAF) that you can still use the codes and still get achievements/trophies. I'm pretty sure they're limited use anyways so you can't keep spamming them.

BKXB

Economist
Right, one-time use, still can get achievements.

Early on, it's tempting to add 5 nodes to supe up my plasma cutter. I've resisted so far, however.

zoukka

Plasma Cutter is useful all the way to the end. Line Gun is just a bigger and badder version of it. Plasma Cutter-only run is easy beasy.

LiK

BKXB said:
Right, one-time use, still can get achievements.

Early on, it's tempting to add 5 nodes to supe up my plasma cutter. I've resisted so far, however.

you should just use it. maxing out a gun early makes the game more fun to shoot things. i don't think it makes the game any less scary.

Tytree

Neo Member
I bought this the other day, though it was at Gamestop for 27 bucks, used. I plan to return it and pick it up at GameCrazy.

Anyway, my favorite thing the game does so, so right? No musical cues for enemies approaching until you make visual contact with them.

That is so awesome. I remember walking around and thinking "man, that shuffling noise sounds like something bad... but there's no tense music playing, so I don't think it's an enemy. I better turn around and make su--HOLY SHIT SHOOT IT IN THE FACE"

BigBoss

So its Saturday afternoon, its 150 degrees outside and I'm bored out of my mind, what do I do? I know I'll play Dead Space and get the trophy for beating it on impossible, that will net me a platinum, awesome. Loads up Dead Space and theres no impossible difficulty that I can select, only hard. Like with all of life's problems I turn to the internet for answers and I discover you can only start an impossible run right after you beat the game, if you turn off your system it forgets that you unlocked impossible. WTF is this shit, who thought this was a good idea and why hasn't it been patched. Is there any workaround for this, maybe somebody has a game save before the final boss or something that I can use.

Top Bottom