• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Karl007

Banned
I just beat this on Impossible mode and it was great.
My second play through.
I just used the plasma cutter and pulse rifle (needed that gun to push enemies back and for that turrent secondary firing mode)

Such a good game

I think impossible mode made it even scarier since its a 1-2 hit kill.

dwin45

If I beat the game on Normal do I have to choose to start a new game on Impossible immediately or will I be able to select Impossible anytime in the future?

Im LTTP on this game, played through Chapter 4 late last year and got bored, but recently picked it back up and I'm now on Chapter 6 and absolutely loving it.

I know alot of people think the monsters are silly , but this game actually scares me (playing mostly at night, in complete dark w/5.1 surround head cans).

JaCy

So I just got 1000/1000 for it yesterday(and a Plat trophy earlier this year) and this game is easily one of my favorite games this gen. Anyway I just barely noticed something my second to last playthrough.

During the ending the alien looked like Nicole, I never noticed that before in any of the times I finished it.
:lol

Max

I am not Max
I just finished the game on medium for the 3rd time and read through the wikia a little bit, and I still have too many questions.

What I know is
that the black marker was found on earth 200 years prior to the events of dead space, the red marker was a reverse engineered copy of the black marker, and was put on aegis 7 to be monitored.

For what reason was the red marker monitored?
Did the black marker not make people insane?
Red marker contained the hive mind for 200 years, why? Was it made for that reason?
Where did the hive mind come from?
What the shit did Kendra want to do with the red marker?

STILL SO CONFUSED.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm currently with a different PS3. If I import my saves to a personal account linked to my usual PSN ID, will I still get the trophies I'm currently missing? I hear some games (like Uncharted) are pretty icky about this.

Duardo said:
I love Dead Space. I wanna go through using only the Cutter on Impossible mode. Good idea?
Excellent idea.

Parham

Banned
Mudkips said:
Dead Space is pure awesome.

I seriously need to to give this another go on my new 1080p TV.
(PC Gaming Master Race, etc.)

Just as a quick question, for someone who has played the PC version, did you play using KB/M or a 360 pad?

Massa

Jocchan said:
I'm currently with a different PS3. If I import my saves to a personal account linked to my usual PSN ID, will I still get the trophies I'm currently missing? I hear some games (like Uncharted) are pretty icky about this.

Some games have their save files locked not only to an account but also a console. I don't if that's the case with Dead Space but you don't need the old save file to get the remaining trophies, just log in with your PSN account.

Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you about the save files or you could just try loading them. ;-)

evil costanza said:
I don't think this will be a problem at all the complete DS1 team is still working on it.

Hopefully that's the case, but I have a feeling Activision is going for a lot more than 2 executives. They're probably headhunting several Visceral employees. They need them for the new studio, and if they can hurt EA in the process I'm sure they won't mind.

Eagle 209

Banned
Jocchan said:

Excellent idea.

I have to say that I found the cutter to be the best all-around weapon...that is partly due to the fact that I am loath to just spray targets. I like it because it is precise, powerful (especially when upgraded) and ammo is relatively abundant.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Massa said:
Some games have their save files locked not only to an account but also a console. I don't if that's the case with Dead Space but you don't need the old save file to get the remaining trophies, just log in with your PSN account.

Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you about the save files or you could just try loading them. ;-)
Well, the trophies I'm missing all require some time (and a few require my original saves, like the "max everything" one, if I want to get them in one playthrough), so I hope someone can answer me before I try and get angry because the game doesn't award them :(

I finally got around to watching Dead Space: Downfall and I gotta say, it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. The voice acting was decent and it certainly was gorey enough. There was also quite a few good tie ins to the game itself. I'm glad they included
Nicole, if only for a brief moment

It was pretty cliche though. "I'm no hero, just a man." Seriously? That was a major eye roll moment.

And it definitely got me in the mood for another play through. Now to decide if I want to play on Impossible or not...

Zenith

Banned
ILOVEASIANS said:
I finally got around to watching Dead Space: Downfall and I gotta say, it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. The voice acting was decent and it certainly was gorey enough. There was also quite a few good tie ins to the game itself. I'm glad they included
Nicole, if only for a brief moment

It was pretty cliche though. "I'm no hero, just a man." Seriously? That was a major eye roll moment.

And it definitely got me in the mood for another play through. Now to decide if I want to play on Impossible or not...

Was Nicole the frozen blonde girl in the bunk? Didn't like how they couldn't even keep consistency with the game re. Captain's death.

Zenith said:

140hymc.gif

I hope that is not something important to the story line, still havent played much of this.

azentium said:
Just as a quick question, for someone who has played the PC version, did you play using KB/M or a 360 pad?

I use KB/M. I've been playing through this yet again over the last couple of days, still absolutely love it.

Zenith

Banned
Jocchan said:
What? Why the hell aren't you using spoiler tags? :/

because they're all shown in the trailers? I'm pretty sure the twinkle little star trailer spoils that and even so, the
Captain's
death is shown in the very first level as soon as your friends reach the bridge. The other statement only says that
Nicole
is seen on screen. SPOILER THAT SHIT!!

God i hope that is not something important to the story line.

so you post a gif of an OTT reaction without having a clue as to if they're even spoilers or not?

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I think my game has glitched on chapter 6, i have to kill those
crew people that are poisoning the air
. I have killed 7/8 apparently but i'm sure i've killed them all and the thing that points you where to go says that i need to use the control to initiate the feeding system. I haven't got up to the
Leviathan

Am i boned?

Also, did that make any sense to anyone.

eggybob said:
I think my game has glitched on chapter 6, i have to kill those
crew people that are poisoning the air
. I have killed 7/8 apparently but i'm sure i've killed them all and the thing that points you where to go says that i need to use the control to initiate the feeding system. I haven't got up to the
Leviathan

Am i boned?

Also, did that make any sense to anyone.

Did you kill the one that's underneath the floor?

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
Did you kill the one that's underneath the floor?

Hmmm, i don't remember, whereabouts is he roughly?
And does that help pointer not show all the
crew aliens
location?

eggybob said:
Hmmm, i don't remember, whereabouts is he roughly?
And does that help pointer not show all the
crew aliens
location?

It's kind of hard to explain. You know that there are two separate areas you go to that have plants in and a lift in the center? By the lifts there is a control panel that replaces the air vat or something similar. One of the crew members can be killed by activating this, using stasis on the sliding glass panel on the floor and running around to get the correct angle and shooting it. Can't remember exactly which plant area it is, but it's the second one your pointer takes you to.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
It's kind of hard to explain. You know that there are two separate areas you go to that have plants in and a lift in the center? By the lifts there is a control panel that replaces the air vat or something similar. One of the crew members can be killed by activating this, using stasis on the sliding glass panel on the floor and running around to get the correct angle and shooting it. Can't remember exactly which plant area it is, but it's the second one your pointer takes you to.

I haven't done this. Cheers for the help.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Zenith said:
because they're all shown in the trailers? I'm pretty sure the twinkle little star trailer spoils that and even so, the
Captain's
death is shown in the very first level as soon as your friends reach the bridge. The other statement only says that
Nicole
is seen on screen. SPOILER THAT SHIT!!
I haven't watched the movie, so yes SPOILER THAT SHIT in the official thread about the game.
About
the Captain being dead
, you find it out really early in the game... but why are you assuming everyone has already played it? Lots of people skim through the posts in official threads before buying a game to read a few impressions beforehand. I admit this one was no big deal (who cares about him after all?), but
Nicole being in the movie, frozen for whatever reason,
definitely was... and I frankly would rather not have known that.

Zenith said:
so you post a gif of an OTT reaction without having a clue as to if they're even spoilers or not?
To me, they are. But maybe I'm still oversensitive because of some idiot spoiling me the final boss in MadWorld a few months ago :/

Zenith

Banned
She's not literally frozen. She has the most unimportant bit-part ever. I didn't even know it was her, and it still might not be. Also why are you combing through the official thread of a game that's 8 months old. Spoiler tags usually last the first few weeks and in every official thread people post blow-by-blow accounts of their progression through the game, followed by questions and discussion about the ending.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Zenith said:
She's not literally frozen. She has the most unimportant bit-part ever. I didn't even know it was her, and it still might not be. Also why are you combing through the official thread of a game that's 8 months old. Spoiler tags usually last the first few weeks and in every official thread people post blow-by-blow accounts of their progression through the game, followed by questions and discussion about the ending.
I have finished the game, I just haven't seen the movie yet. Sorry for being oversensitive about the spoilers, then.
Anyway, unless my monitor has issues with rendering GAF pages, questions and discussions about the ending do have spoiler tags. Every single one. It's not like everyone buys the same games day one and blazes through them in a week. The latest pages from this very thread are full of people still playing the game for the first time, and they all deserve (and usually get) respect.

Zenith said:
Was Nicole the frozen blonde girl in the bunk? Didn't like how they couldn't even keep consistency with the game re. Captain's death.

Yeah.
I'm 99% sure that was her. Why else would they put that awful "Do you have a boyfriend?" line in there. The actual physical resemblance is pretty spot on too

Just getting to the damn
asteroid sequence
on my newest play through. It's by far my least part of the game and the only part I dread. I'm still terrible at it after 5 play throughs.

MNC

rhino4evr said:
why is the flame thrower always the worst gun in every game?

So if you were going to pick the Line Gun or Pulse RIfle, what would you pick?
TF2 says hi! :D

I'd go for line gun.

Decado

I need to get back into this game. I stopped around the time you run into the invincible/regenerating baddies. I really enjoyed it up until then, though, so I'm definitely going to get back into it...once I finish FEAR 2.

Decado said:
I need to get back into this game. I stopped around the time you run into the invincible/regenerating baddies. I really enjoyed it up until then, though, so I'm definitely going to get back into it...once I finish FEAR 2.

You only encounter one of those twice in the game and you're just supposed to run.

Beat this game last night, LOVE LOVE LOVED IT. Each boss encounter was a little on the easy side but I was happy with their scale.

End boss spoiler:
There was a moment where he grabbed me and dangled me upside down, while hanging there you have to shoot some weak points on his chest so he drops you. When doing this, I immediately assumed that the aiming axis' were flipped, since you're upside down. I was disappointed when they weren't, but I guess I was getting too hopeful with this game

Still loved it though.
Favorite weapon: Line gun. So powerful
Worst weapon: Ripper. Weird to use. I didn't care for the Force gun either, too short of range.

Gryphter said:
Beat this game last night, LOVE LOVE LOVED IT. Each boss encounter was a little on the easy side but I was happy with their scale.

Yeah. I'm also hoping for an increased number of bosses in the sequel. Seemed a little too far and in between for me.

On a side note, last night I was able to get 59% shields during the
asteroid sequence
, which was very unusual for me. I usually pull out low teens/single digits most times. I didn't change my tactics up much, so I guess I just got lucky on their spawns.

Early in the game while flipping through the achievements list, I saw "Achieve a perfect score at the shooting range." When I finally encountered the shooting range, I decided to take the time to get that achievement, seemed easy enough. I think I was doing it wrong, though. I shot each red target and left each blue one. The scoreboard on the back wall said 1000/1000 each time I did it, and I even got Plasma ammo as a reward. The achievement never kicked off though, and I did it 3 times. I didn't really care anymore at that point, so just continued with the story. Can someone explain how to do it, though?

Also, my first (and only) try at Zero G Basketball was a similar experience. I was hopping from platform to platform til I realized some of them lit up. I started hopping to those but didn't know if I was supposed to stay on them or keep jumping. Half way through I finally saw the damn ball, I didn't even realize it was floating there so I hadn't even taken a shot before then! It ended and I didn't care, so I left and continued with the story. How about this one, how are you supposed to do it?

KAOz

Short bus special
Gryphter said:
The scoreboard on the back wall said 1000/1000 each time I did it, and I even got Plasma ammo as a reward. The achievement never kicked off though, and I did it 3 times.

Three times isn't enough. You have to keep going. I think there are 5 levels of them, so you have to clear them all. :)

Also, the Zero G trophy, you need to activate the control in the middle of the room, it will then shoot out the ball. Grab it with telekinesis, and shoot it into the holes without "grids" over them. Basically in the empty holes. Keep going, and you'll get it eventually.

KAOz said:
Three times isn't enough. You have to keep going. I think there are 5 levels of them, so you have to clear them all. :)

Also, the Zero G trophy, you need to activate the control in the middle of the room, it will then shoot out the ball. Grab it with telekinesis, and shoot it into the holes without "grids" over them. Basically in the empty holes. Keep going, and you'll get it eventually.

nice, thanks. I noticed that the shooting range said "level 1" and I was looking for a way to change it, I thought you could manually set it.

edit: so what's everyone's opinion on the R3 button telling you where to go? I've heard this called "the idiot button" before. Did you like it? Hate it? Refuse to use it? I loved it and abused it. I didn't want to be bothered with the 3D map, and this feature made it impossible to get lost. There was a time or two where it wasn't guiding me the right way (beam went through a locked door) but I was able to manage. Thoughts?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gryphter said:
nice, thanks. I noticed that the shooting range said "level 1" and I was looking for a way to change it, I thought you could manually set it.

edit: so what's everyone's opinion on the R3 button telling you where to go? I've heard this called "the idiot button" before. Did you like it? Hate it? Refuse to use it? I loved it and abused it. I didn't want to be bothered with the 3D map, and this feature made it impossible to get lost. There was a time or two where it wasn't guiding me the right way (beam went through a locked door) but I was able to manage. Thoughts?

Was pretty handy when getting back into the game after a day or two of no-play. No more going in circle without a clue about what to do next.

Gryphter said:

I personally love this feature too. I made it through chapter five before I put the game down (got a little burned out on it for a bit). When I picked it up again a couple months later, I knew exactly where to go and what to do. Up to Chapter 8 and loving it again.

Yeh I loved the game but i did not like the inclusion of the r3 button. I didn't use it much, but it just got too tempting when i was lost. It does make the game a bit too easy. Amazing game though, one of my favorites.

I really like the button. Everytime I got to a corridor with two directions I'd hit it. Once I knew where to go, I'd go in the opposite direction first. Cause that's usually where the hidden stuff was.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
BigBoss said:
So its Saturday afternoon, its 150 degrees outside and I'm bored out of my mind, what do I do? I know I'll play Dead Space and get the trophy for beating it on impossible, that will net me a platinum, awesome. Loads up Dead Space and theres no impossible difficulty that I can select, only hard. Like with all of life's problems I turn to the internet for answers and I discover you can only start an impossible run right after you beat the game, if you turn off your system it forgets that you unlocked impossible. WTF is this shit, who thought this was a good idea and why hasn't it been patched. Is there any workaround for this, maybe somebody has a game save before the final boss or something that I can use.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

I beat the game a week or so ago on normal, and saved after the credits. I immediately loaded my completed save and am in the process now of going through my new game + mode to get the trophy for 'Upgrading all weapons, etc..." Ive saved over that file many times in this playthrough.

Are you all telling me that once i get the upgrade trophy that once i try to go the menu and start a new game, Impossible mode wont be there? If so thats a SERIOUSLY messed up glitch, and im going to be pissed if i have to beat the game again on normal to get Impossible back.... I only have two trophies to go until i platinum this...the upgrade all weapons one, and beating it on Impossible.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I really like the button. Everytime I got to a corridor with two directions I'd hit it. Once I knew where to go, I'd go in the opposite direction first. Cause that's usually where the hidden stuff was.

yup, I did the exact same thing. Sometimes I would avoid side rooms though, didn't want to waste the ammo in case a monster was waiting.

Did anyone go in the rooms that required a power node to open the door? I didn't want to waste a potential weapon upgrade so I said fuck that. I figure they're just item rooms, right?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Gryphter said:
yup, I did the exact same thing. Sometimes I would avoid side rooms though, didn't want to waste the ammo in case a monster was waiting.

Did anyone go in the rooms that required a power node to open the door? I didn't want to waste a potential weapon upgrade so I said fuck that. I figure they're just item rooms, right?

Mostly items and ammo....sometimes a text or audio log too if i recall.

codecow

Jocchan said:
Well, the trophies I'm missing all require some time (and a few require my original saves, like the "max everything" one, if I want to get them in one playthrough), so I hope someone can answer me before I try and get angry because the game doesn't award them :(

I implemented the Trophy support, I believe that if you try and load a save that is signed to a different user you will get a message saying that it is unable to load the save because it is signed to a different user.

So you should never get to the point where you're playing and it doesn't award trophies.

codecow

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

I beat the game a week or so ago on normal, and saved after the credits. I immediately loaded my completed save and am in the process now of going through my new game + mode to get the trophy for 'Upgrading all weapons, etc..." Ive saved over that file many times in this playthrough.

Are you all telling me that once i get the upgrade trophy that once i try to go the menu and start a new game, Impossible mode wont be there? If so thats a SERIOUSLY messed up glitch, and im going to be pissed if i have to beat the game again on normal to get Impossible back.... I only have two trophies to go until i platinum this...the upgrade all weapons one, and beating it on Impossible.

You're right, it is lazy.

If you load a save you made after beating the game and exit to the main menu you should have the option to start in impossible mode.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
codecow said:
You're right, it is lazy.

If you load a save you made after beating the game and exit to the main menu you should have the option to start in impossible mode.

Not sure if you're making fun of me or not.... :lol

Anyhow, what you said about the save above....the save i am using now is the same one i beat the game with. I've saved over it since then as i've been going through new game + (if that makes sense).....will i still have the 'impossible' option, or no?

SToRM

Got this game yesterday from Zavvi. I've only played it for an hour, but I really like what I have played so far. Graphics and sound are very good (I have a 42inch tv and 5.1 sound).

Top Bottom