• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Muffdraul

Gryphter said:
Did anyone go in the rooms that required a power node to open the door? I didn't want to waste a potential weapon upgrade so I said fuck that. I figure they're just item rooms, right?

IMO it's worth it to unlock those rooms. Whatever you happen to find inside generally justifies spending the node.

Muffdraul said:
IMO it's worth it to unlock those rooms. Whatever you happen to find inside generally justifies spending the node.

Yeah. I didn't end up opening them until I had every weapon upgraded so I had extra power nodes to burn. I was missing out on some good stuff all those play throughs before.

Nizz

SToRM said:
Got this game yesterday from Zavvi. I've only played it for an hour, but I really like what I have played so far. Graphics and sound are very good (I have a 42inch tv and 5.1 sound).
I...am...jealous... ;)

Muffdraul said:

ILOVEASIANS said:
Yeah. I didn't end up opening them until I had every weapon upgraded so I had extra power nodes to burn. I was missing out on some good stuff all those play throughs before.

Goddammit!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Gryphter said:
Goddammit!

I dont think its even possible to upgrade all your weapons on a single playthrough..... My first playthrough on normal i used some nodes to open these doors.

Now that im in playthrough number 2, im only using my nodes to upgrade all my weapons, etc....

Mudkips

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I dont think its even possible to upgrade all your weapons on a single playthrough..... My first playthrough on normal i used some nodes to open these doors.

Now that im in playthrough number 2, im only using my nodes to upgrade all my weapons, etc....

It's possible to upgrade all your weapons on the first run through.
All you have to do is just use the cutter. It's the only weapon that matters! :lol

Oreoleo

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Anyhow, what you said about the save above....the save i am using now is the same one i beat the game with. I've saved over it since then as i've been going through new game + (if that makes sense).....will i still have the 'impossible' option, or no?

I think so. Just complete the new game+ and save after the credits.

Helmholtz

I played quite a bit of this game around the time it was released. It's actually quite well done and has great atmosphere. It's not really scary at all, but it's really cool. My only gripe with it was that it got repetitive around halfway or 3/4ths of the way through. Felt like I was doing the same things over. If it ended earlier I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Malio

eternaLightness said:
Just picked this game up a few days ago. Only played for about 30 minutes, and I'm really digging it. The atmosphere is amazing. Creepy as hell too.

It only gets better. :D

There may be a few levels that get monotonous, and that asteroid shooting mini-game will get on your nerves, but you are in for some great stuff.

Max

I am not Max
Max said:
I just finished the game on medium for the 3rd time and read through the wikia a little bit, and I still have too many questions.

What I know is
that the black marker was found on earth 200 years prior to the events of dead space, the red marker was a reverse engineered copy of the black marker, and was put on aegis 7 to be monitored.

For what reason was the red marker monitored?
Did the black marker not make people insane?
Red marker contained the hive mind for 200 years, why? Was it made for that reason?
Where did the hive mind come from?
What the shit did Kendra want to do with the red marker?

STILL SO CONFUSED.
Anyone? ;-;

Max said:
Anyone? ;-;

I'm not completely sure, but I think a lot of that is still up in there air. I have a lot of those same questions.

In terms of the
the marker containing the hive mind, the marker actually puts up a field that the necromorphs can't enter/pass through. This was shown at the end of Dead Space: Downfall. I don't think they gave an exact reason for it. Maybe the field was on a much larger scale when it was still on the planet to contain the hive mind.

Also in the movie, they mention that there were dig marks from a machine surrounding the marker before any known mining operation took place to extract the marker. My guess is that the government knew about the hive mind and the effect the marker had on it, and placed it there to contain it. A conspiracy of sorts to cover up the only other known life form in the known galaxy, and to keep its horrible effects contained.

in terms of Kendra's motives, I'm really confused about that too. If she was working for the government, then why would she want to remove the marker that was placed by them there to begin with?

I don't know man. Maybe will get some answers in Dead Space 2. Or someone else on here can fill in the parts we are missing.

codecow

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Not sure if you're making fun of me or not.... :lol

Anyhow, what you said about the save above....the save i am using now is the same one i beat the game with. I've saved over it since then as i've been going through new game + (if that makes sense).....will i still have the 'impossible' option, or no?

No I wasn't making fun of you, I was saying that what we had in the shipping game for New Game+ isn't what we wanted to do (obviously) and we left it that way to make the date (actually beat the original date by two weeks).

It should be fine if you're on New Game+. Load the game, exit to front end, impossible option should be there.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
codecow said:
No I wasn't making fun of you, I was saying that what we had in the shipping game for New Game+ isn't what we wanted to do (obviously) and we left it that way to make the date (actually beat the original date by two weeks).

It should be fine if you're on New Game+. Load the game, exit to front end, impossible option should be there.

Just wanted to post and update that i tried this last night and Impossible mode is there!! Thanks for posting this method!

bestami

Because of this thread i popped the game in to get the last 2 trophies before the impossible run but goddamn killing 30 morphs with that shitty ass flamethrower will be a chore.

I really like the force gun. That and plasma cutter should be all i need for impossible run i guess.

bestami said:
I really like the force gun. That and plasma cutter should be all i need for impossible run i guess.

I didn't like the Force gun. Bought it, tried it for a half a chapter, moved it to inventory and never went back. I didn't like how close you had to let the enemies get to you. I imagine all the weapons are superb once you max them out, though. I'm a Line gun man myself, which I see as this game's shotgun basically.

<3 Contact Beam too.

bestami

Maxed out forcegun can dismember multiple limbs from multiple enemies in close range. I always thought forcegun was the shotgun of this game because of this.

codecow

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Just wanted to post and update that i tried this last night and Impossible mode is there!! Thanks for posting this method!

This came up a lot at the end of development and wasn't something we were happy with. Glad to be able to help!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
codecow said:
This came up a lot at the end of development and wasn't something we were happy with. Glad to be able to help!

Can you (or anyone that knows) answer a question about the 'plasma cutter only' trophy?

When i do that, does using the 'freeze move' on an enemy nullify that, or is that allowable since that move doesnt KILL the enemy?

bestami said:
Maxed out forcegun can dismember multiple limbs from multiple enemies in close range. I always thought forcegun was the shotgun of this game because of this.

ah, nice. I'll have to give it another shot on a future playthrough if I ever do. I spent all of my nodes upgrading the Rig, Plasma Cutter, and Line gun though. Everything else is bare bones :*(

bestami

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Can you (or anyone that knows) answer a question about the 'plasma cutter only' trophy?

When i do that, does using the 'freeze move' on an enemy nullify that, or is that allowable since that move doesnt KILL the enemy?

You can use melee, kinetic and stasis no problem.

Mudkips

Banned
The red marker was monitored to see what the fuck it did.
If they knew/had an idea (since they did reverse engineer it), they monitored it to see if it fucking worked.

Did the marker make people insane? Or did removing it make people insane? Or was it the hive mind/necromorphs making people insane? I'm pretty sure it was the hive mind/necromorphs, and removing the marker from the planet turned it off or weakened it's field, allowing them to become more active. Like, if you put a magnet (marker) on a piece of metal (planet) the entire piece of metal is magnetized.

Red marker was probably made for that reason. Or they had no idea what it was, built it, and put it on the planet, and watched.

Hive mind is just an alien life form.

Kendra probably wanted to ensure the destruction of the entire planet to make sure no one found out about teh conspiraciez.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im coming to the realization that my playthrough in new game + is still not going to let me fully upgrade all my weapons. Im in chapter 7 and i have 12+ nodes still to get in order to upgrade fully my remaining weapons. Can i beat it again and have my weapons and their statuses carry over a second time?

Salmonax

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Im coming to the realization that my playthrough in new game + is still not going to let me fully upgrade all my weapons. Im in chapter 7 and i have 12+ nodes still to get in order to upgrade fully my remaining weapons. Can i beat it again and have my weapons and their statuses carry over a second time?
Yeah, everything just keeps on carrying over.

I rented the game a while back and I'm about 2/3 through it. Now it's $30 I may pick it up because I enjoyed the game so damn much

any chance this drops to $20 anytime soon?

Zeliard

Gryphter said:
I didn't like the Force gun. Bought it, tried it for a half a chapter, moved it to inventory and never went back. I didn't like how close you had to let the enemies get to you. I imagine all the weapons are superb once you max them out, though. I'm a Line gun man myself, which I see as this game's shotgun basically.

<3 Contact Beam too.

Force gun can be extremely useful. Not so much for doing damage, but for clearing a bunch of enemies out of your way. Since very few of the regular enemies throw any projectiles, as far as I remember, the Force Gun is a big help at times (especially after the halfway mark or so). You're not supposed to let the enemies get close to you - when they do, you Force Push them shits away from you.

Came in handy in particular with that one boss-like enemy who would continually resurrect himself.

SToRM

fps fanatic said:
I...am...jealous... ;)

A big screen and surround sound really help to get you more involved in the game and hearing the creepy sounds all around you is quite scary :lol

I'm at chapter 2 now and I really like the game up until now. I haven't played a game like this since Resident Evil 2 (I needed something to compare it with...), but all I can say is that the demo doesn't do the game justice.

glaurung

G_Berry said:
God I really need to finish this game. Had it since launch and I'm not even half way yet.

Same here, I got stuck somewhere around chapter 8 or 9.

Been waiting for my new TV to finish this baby.

bestami

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

You know you can buy nodes from the shop. Just sell those conductors and useless ammo (don't sell the guns you already upgraded. You need all of them in your inventory/safe for the trophy) . You should easily get 12+ nodes.

Nizz

SToRM said:
A big screen and surround sound really help to get you more involved in the game and hearing the creepy sounds all around you is quite scary :lol

I'm at chapter 2 now and I really like the game up until now. I haven't played a game like this since Resident Evil 2 (I needed something to compare it with...), but all I can say is that the demo doesn't do the game justice.
Yep. To tell the truth, I didn't really like the demo all that much. It was kind of confusing in that I wasn't sure how to switch up the weapons, heal myself. I thought it looked good, but I didn't really dig it.

Then I got the full game last Christmas and I loved it. :D I played the game with headphones on my 30". A lot of tense moments. The game made me jump a couple of times! :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
codecow said:
I implemented the Trophy support, I believe that if you try and load a save that is signed to a different user you will get a message saying that it is unable to load the save because it is signed to a different user.

So you should never get to the point where you're playing and it doesn't award trophies.
Wow, thanks for answering :)

codecow

Minamu said:
And even cheats if that's your thing. Infinite stasis won't mess with anything.

This is also correct. Some of the cheats (like money and nodes) are limited to once per save file to prevent you from getting free achievements. We figured it would be a big enough pain in the ass to keep refilling stasis that we left it unlimited.

Minamu

codecow said:
This is also correct. Some of the cheats (like money and nodes) are limited to once per save file to prevent you from getting free achievements. We figured it would be a big enough pain in the ass to keep refilling stasis that we left it unlimited.
I think you guys underestimate achievement junkies ;) If we see an easy achievement, we go for it, no matter the hoops. Heck, yesterday I finished my second playthrough of Eternal Sonata on Hard Mode to get 4-5 achievements. It took me almost 30 hours. With a guide. I had to do it :'(

But I am a bit curious. If you guys weren't happy with the impossible mode implementation & didn't get it done the way you wanted it, why push the release date back 2 weeks in the first place? :D

ecosse_011172

codecow said:

Hey codecow,
just to say that I recently completed DS on the PS# and loved it to bits.
You did a superb job!

Can you say anything about Dead Space 2?

FerranMG

I started the game a couple of days ago, and so far I'm loving it (chapter 6 now).

The game structure is the same as RE4, and the atmosphere feels a bit like Bioshock (the only thing the game did right, IMO :p).

I got so nervous at the end of Chapter 5, I think, with that regenerating bitch following me anywhere. So awesome. :D

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Might want to try to kill 2 birds (in this case, trophies..lol) with one stone.

Has anyone done an impossible run using only the Plasma Cutter?

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Might want to try to kill 2 birds (in this case, trophies..lol) with one stone.

Has anyone done an impossible run using only the Plasma Cutter?

I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure if it's doable.

I think ammo might become a big problem.

Here is my take on the back story of Dead Space. Speculate or disparage to your hearts content. :D

The original black marker found on earth and left by aliens is supposed to be some sort of creator of life. Or an accelerator of life. Like the Monolith from 2001.

The red marker was a failed attempt to reverse engineer it. It doesn't work the way the black one did, and even the color didn't come out right.

It was either built on the planet it was found on or it was moved and hidden there when the government realized it was a dangerous failure. Maybe they couldn't destroy it or maybe they just wanted to see what it's effects led to even if it was a failure.

Kendra is moving it to who knows where because it was already found and reported back to the Unitologists so it wouldn't be safe where it was anymore.

BTW the similarities of the Unitologists to Scientologists is hard to miss. I would like to point out that one of the text messages that describes the back story of the Unitologist movement also describes a giant ship that they have built that houses the dead bodies of Unitologist. Hmmmm, I wonder how a ship full of dead bodies would fit into Dead Space 2?

SToRM

fps fanatic said:
Yep. To tell the truth, I didn't really like the demo all that much. It was kind of confusing in that I wasn't sure how to switch up the weapons, heal myself. I thought it looked good, but I didn't really dig it.

Then I got the full game last Christmas and I loved it. :D I played the game with headphones on my 30". A lot of tense moments. The game made me jump a couple of times! :lol

I had the same feeling about the demo (there was also way to few ammo in the demo), but last week I had the chance to buy it for a very good price and it has been worth every penny up until now :D

Ken Masters said:
I rented the game a while back and I'm about 2/3 through it. Now it's $30 I may pick it up because I enjoyed the game so damn much

any chance this drops to $20 anytime soon?

I saw it at target for $20 on PS3 FYI.

Top Bottom