• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Fox1304

Bought it for 10 UK Bucks on Amazon.

Absolutely in love with the game.
I'm at chapter 5 at the moment, and everything is nearly perfect.
The atmosphere is strange, scary, and pretty accurate for an horror game. The pacing is neat, nice switching between scary, fighting, and calm moments.And of course, the music and the graphics are top.

Can't spend too much time on the Store ingame, the voices are too disturbing :D

Damn I'm shitting my pants sometimes :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Did i just completely screw myself out of the 'Plasma Cutter Only' trophy by killing an enemy by using the grab thingie and throwing one of those red exploding things at it?

wotter

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Did i just completely screw myself out of the 'Plasma Cutter Only' trophy by killing an enemy by using the grab thingie and throwing one of those red exploding things at it?
No, you can freely use stassis and kinesis in your 'one gun' run :)

jbueno

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Might want to try to kill 2 birds (in this case, trophies..lol) with one stone.

Has anyone done an impossible run using only the Plasma Cutter?

I did. Ammo isn´t really an issue if you don´t buy the other weapons since you mostly get plasma cutter ammo, and you can always sell useless ammo to save for power nodes, suit upgrades, plasma cutter ammo and maybe if necessary health.

It really wasn´t that hard, I just tried to upgrade the Plasma Cutter early on and start upgrading your rig when you´re at Chapter 6. Naturally, you shouldn´t waste power nodes on power locks. Oh and always buy the new armor as soon as available.

Muffdraul

I bought Dead Space for PS3 when it came out. A couple of weeks ago I borrowed the 360 version just to compare. One of the only actual differences I caught was that in the 360 version, if you try to use kinesis on something that can't be moved, it makes a weird sort of grinding "error" sound. There's no such sound in the PS3 version. I didn't think of much of it at the time, but now I feel compelled to find out... why would that sound be in one version but not the other, what on earth could the technical reason be for that?

Facism

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Might want to try to kill 2 birds (in this case, trophies..lol) with one stone.

Has anyone done an impossible run using only the Plasma Cutter?

Seriously mate, you'll be fine. The plasma cutter is such a fine weapon, you don't need anything else. I did it, was such a better game for me.

soldat7

Truant said:
I hate the whispering announcer chick in the bathrooms. Sooo creepy.

The only problem I had with the whispering was that it repeats far too often. It stops being scary once you've heard the same thing 20 times. They should have recorded more whispery dialog.

dv8withn8

Neo Member
I just played back through Dead Space for the second time this past weekend. First time I picked it back up since getting it back at launch.

Played through on impossible using only my plasma cutter to snag those two achievements and got a couple others along the way. Was very challenging/frustrating at first but once you start getting more powerful it evens out to be very enjoyable. I noticed a lot I missed the first time around. Like finding the cipher-key that lets you translate the Unitoligist writing everywhere.

I hope a sequel is well under way. Extraction looks ok but it's on Wii so I'm hesitant.

dv8withn8 said:
I hope a sequel is well under way. Extraction looks ok but it's on Wii so I'm hesitant.

That's how I felt at first too, but the more videos I watch and the more I hear about it, the better it sounds.

dv8withn8

Neo Member
Also, anyone have tips regarding how to survive the asteroid shootout with >50% hull integrity or is it just practice makes perfect? They best I've managed is 38%.

I did shoot the creature off the hull with more than 50%. That one was easier though.

nyong

Banned
dv8withn8 said:
Also, anyone have tips regarding how to survive the asteroid shootout with >50% hull integrity or is it just practice makes perfect? They best I've managed is 38%.

I did shoot the creature off the hull with more than 50%. That one was easier though.

Yeah, practice makes perfect. The asteroid placement is random, so you get screwed sometimes.

For pointers:

1) You can see the light from the asteroids before the first wave gets there.

2) Direct hits cause the most damage. Concentrate on ones toward the middle and ignore the outside ones if need be.

3) Remember that you have two guns, not one.

Focus on the faster and larger asteroids primarily. Some of the smaller ones on the outside of the viewing window will just fly by and cause no damage. Also try to use only one turret at a time, using two too often will make it over-heat really fast.

It's part luck too, depending on how the asteroids themselves spawn. Just hope you'll get an easy run.

I always sucked at it too. After a few play throughs, the best I had was around 20%. Then I went back and played through again recently after a few months and finished with 60% my first try without changing up my strategy at all. Just keep trying.

FerranMG

I found a couple of tips that helped me:

1.- Turn the brightness of the game up, so you see the asteroids coming from further away.

2.- Always shoot both guns at the same time. I never got the things overheated (I didn't fire blindly either), and found it helped me to increase the "accuracy". I mean, it's easier to hit the asteroids.

And good luck!

Has anyone here actually bit and bought some of the DLC? For the most part it's just re-skins of the weapons, but the tank suit would actually be useful and looks pretty badass. I ask because I have some Live points to burn and am thinking about checking some of this out.

ajim

Does anyone know where I can full translations of the weird Alien writing throughout the ship? I remember people doing it at the release of the game, but, that seemed to have died off.

I love when developers put in aspects like that for gamers to delver further into the game if they so wish.

So goood.

TeardropConnors

Neo Member
I just got the game from a friend of mine earlier today and decided to start it up tonight...the lights where out and I was a lone...and I only made it twenty minutes...sort of embarrassing. I plan on playing a lot in the morning. The sound is incredible though, and I really enjoyed the opening sequence.

SToRM

I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 and loving the game so far. I would even like to go as far as saying that this is one of the best games of this generation for me. I'm playing on medium with the Plasma Cutter only and I'm trying to get as many trophies as I can in the first run. After this I will start a game on the hardest setting using all the other weapons and hopefully get the platinum trophy.

Aaron

TeardropConnors said:
I just got the game from a friend of mine earlier today and decided to start it up tonight...the lights where out and I was a lone...and I only made it twenty minutes...sort of embarrassing. I plan on playing a lot in the morning. The sound is incredible though, and I really enjoyed the opening sequence.
Odd. I'm an hour in and don't find it creepy or scary at all. Disappointed in that regard. The devs really don't know how to punch up those moments like in Resi 4, or even Bioshock.

Truant

Turn off the music, it really helps.

Anyway, the game got scarier during the final chapters, especially the living quarters. You meet a certain enemy that's not like the other necromorphs. Truly creepy.

Max

I am not Max
ILOVEASIANS said:
Has anyone here actually bit and bought some of the DLC? For the most part it's just re-skins of the weapons, but the tank suit would actually be useful and looks pretty badass. I ask because I have some Live points to burn and am thinking about checking some of this out.
I have the Tank suit, which has a 60% armor rating, 30% more than the Military suit which is second best. Helpful if you're struggling on Impossible.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I actually had the time to play games; I really want to play this again. Fucking exams.

Yasae

Banned
Aaron said:
Odd. I'm an hour in and don't find it creepy or scary at all. Disappointed in that regard. The devs really don't know how to punch up those moments like in Resi 4, or even Bioshock.
RE4: The Least Scary Game I've Ever Played.

Aaron

Yasae said:
RE4: The Least Scary Game I've Ever Played.
So being trapped in a small room while the villagers swarmed in, breaking the door down, only for the chainsaw freak to appear did nothing for you? Neither did the moment, by the light of torches, when the heads of the shambling figures burst into something that would have given HG Geiger nightmares? No tension at all?

It's odd with all their efforts to hide the interface, Dead Space constantly feels to me like I'm playing a videogame. I can't seem to sink into it.

FerranMG

I think people confuse scariness and tension.

I did not find RE4 scary, but it delivered some moments of great tension.

Dead Space scared me a few times, mostly when an enemy appeared from behind without me expecting it at all. But I wouldn't say it's an scary game. Nothing about it could ever appear in any of my nightmares.

TeardropConnors

Neo Member
The only times that I ever got scared in RE4, and even RE5 for that matter, was when I'd open a box and there would be a snake. The game never really made me feel in danger, Dead Space on the other hand has a much creepier atmosphere and so far has made me feel really isolated and alone.

FerranMG said:
I think people confuse scariness and tension.

I did not find RE4 scary, but it delivered some moments of great tension.

Agree 100%.

My gf watched me play a segment of Dead Space and when she saw the monsters for the first time, couldn't understand at how I didn't find them scary. I explained to her that they do look disturbing, but I didn't have time to watch them really, I was too busy looking at their targets (limbs) which aren't scary.

Gryphter said:
Agree 100%.

My gf watched me play a segment of Dead Space and when she saw the monsters for the first time, couldn't understand at how I didn't find them scary. I explained to her that they do look disturbing, but I didn't have time to watch them really, I was too busy looking at their targets (limbs) which aren't scary.
My Girlfreind Shit a Brick when i was playing STALKER; Shadow of Chernobyl. The bloodsucker just roars then runs at you whilst still only half visible, had the 5.1 up high as well.

first time i had a little accident myself, god the underground bits of that game still scare me witless (Especially X18, SNORKS!!!!!)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
dv8withn8 said:

I hated this trophy, but i did end up getting it. Here's how i did it:

--Crank the brightness up all the way both in-game, AND your tv settings. The key is to be able to see the asteroids in the distance as soon as possible so you can shoot them.

--Focus mainly in the center area...many of the little ones on the upper and side edges will just fly right by and miss you.

--Only use one laser at a time, and do it in bursts remembering to not hold the button too long so you dont overheat.

--THIS IS KEY!!! When the big asteroids come, and the really fast ones fly at the top area, use BOTH lasers. You'll destroy them really fast and wont get hit when they split.

--Relax...dont get nervous, and just take your time.

When i finally got it, i did it with 70% shields left by following the tips above. Good luck!

Yasae

Banned
Aaron said:
So being trapped in a small room while the villagers swarmed in, breaking the door down, only for the chainsaw freak to appear did nothing for you? Neither did the moment, by the light of torches, when the heads of the shambling figures burst into something that would have given HG Geiger nightmares? No tension at all?
No. They're humanoid. The Alien (xenomorph) stands on two legs, but I don't find it particularly reminiscent of a human - and let's fact facts, neither of these games had any monster close to that caliber of design.

Max said:
I have the Tank suit, which has a 60% armor rating, 30% more than the Military suit which is second best. Helpful if you're struggling on Impossible.

Yeah, I saw the crazy armor rating on that. I just started my impossible run and am debating if I should pick that up or not.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
About to start my 'impossible' run for my last trophy, and the platinum.

Any tips? How's the DLC for this game, and would any of it be good to get before doing this run?

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
About to start my 'impossible' run for my last trophy, and the platinum.

Any tips? How's the DLC for this game, and would any of it be good to get before doing this run?

I'm on Chapter 4 through my Impossible run. I bought the Tank Suit (60% armor) and the power boost for the plasma cutter DLC and it made the game a joke. I kind of wish I didn't because at this stage it's not even a challenge with those. I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up later on.

PC version.

In the first zero gravity chamber. How do I walk on the walls? I can't find the logs anywhere that tell me how to do it.
Can I change difficulty from easy to medium? I've played about an hour so far so I don't feel like restarting just get get my ass handed to me.

chiba

Visualante said:
PC version.

In the first zero gravity chamber. How do I walk on the walls? I can't find the logs anywhere that tell me how to do it.
Can I change difficulty from easy to medium? I've played about an hour so far so I don't feel like restarting just get get my ass handed to me.

Aim your gun and hit ctrl, you gotta be aiming at a walkable area though, with no objects floating in the way. Took me a bit to figure it out too. and I don't think you can change diff mid-game, but easy must be cake cause I'm playing on normal my 1st time through and its only just getting challenging around chap 7 or so.

edit: just wanna add I'm in love with this game, can't believe I waited this long to pick it up. Easily one of the most enjoyable single player experiences I've had in the last few years as a pc/ps3/wii owner.

chiba said:
Aim your gun and hit ctrl, you gotta be aiming at a walkable area though, with no objects floating in the way. Took me a bit to figure it out too. and I don't think you can change diff mid-game, but easy must be cake cause I'm playing on normal my 1st time through and its only just getting challenging around chap 7 or so.
Well I found RE4 quite hard, I'm not great at third person shooters or managing resources. And I tend to just ignore the best upgrades unless someone tells me to online. For instance in Fallout 3 I didn't really upgrade the stuff people say you should, I just went with what I thought would be cool.

Perhaps on a replay I'll do it on hard.

Tarin02543

I bought the game at launch for ps3 and I'm still stuck in chapter 10. I'm running out of ammo all the time and I don't have enough shit in my inventory to sell. I've now collecteds some datadisc (I had to use kinesis to move doublestacked beds around) and all of a sudden this huge motherfucker appears which cannot be killed. I disintegrate him with my last forcegun ammo to a little fleshball but he just grows new limbs until he hacks me to pieces.

any pointers please?

Narcosis

Tarin02543 said:
I bought the game at launch for ps3 and I'm still stuck in chapter 10. I'm running out of ammo all the time and I don't have enough shit in my inventory to sell. I've now collecteds some datadisc (I had to use kinesis to move doublestacked beds around) and all of a sudden this huge motherfucker appears which cannot be killed. I disintegrate him with my last forcegun ammo to a little fleshball but he just grows new limbs until he hacks me to pieces.

any pointers please?

If you're trying to "kill" that regenerating thing with you carried weapons you're wasting ammo. Every encounter with him is a process of either escaping or luring him into traps. It's been awhile since I played it, but if you're at the part where he appears in the sleeping quarters just shoot off 2-3 limbs and run away. Don't hang around. and at the timed door freeze him as much as possible to avoid spending any more ammo than necessary.

NeoUltima

Got my platinum in this the other day. Impossible mode was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be...Mainly cause I remembered when and where enemies pop out from my other playthrough. They should have mixed it up for Impossible imo.

Minamu

NeoUltima said:
Got my platinum in this the other day. Impossible mode was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be...Mainly cause I remembered when and where enemies pop out from my other playthrough. They should have mixed it up for Impossible imo.
Yeah different enemy positions for each difficulty or something would've done a lot of good imo.

Anyone have problems getting the Ragdoll Check achievement/trophy?

I keep accidentally running myself into the gravity panels and subsequently keep dying. Are the kills I make cumulative or does the amount of enemies killed get wiped with every reload?

I'm on Chapter 4 btw.

Yasae

Banned
NeoUltima said:
RE2 did this 11 years ago. I agree that Deadspace could benefit a great deal from an arranged scenario or two. Please.. The sequel EA/Visceral!

Assemble!

Have had this game since Christmas, and stopped playing it when RE5 came out. I went back and started over a couple weeks ago and finished it yesterday. This is a rare game where it gets better in the latter levels (instead of dreaded re-hash levels). The living quarters were creepy as all.

Fantastic game, and waaaay better than RE5, hands down. Probably top 4 for me this gen w/ Fallout, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

Finished up my Impossible run to get 1000/1000 for this. Don't know why I put it off for so long but it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I imagined. Think I'm done with the game for a while now, 6 play throughs is enough.

Now if we could only get some info on Dead Space 2.

Jhoan

Anyone ever come across this glitch in Chapter 6 I think where you try to
to put the chemical mixture into the machine to make a chemical strong enough to kill the Leviathan?
It doesnt say A on the machine, and I've tried jamming A, reloading the record, but nothing works. This is on my second playthrough trying to get all the weapons upgraded (I have yet to play through it on impossible using one gun; that's next). I'd hate to replay the game 2 more times to do it again. Great game though.

Top Bottom