• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

BudokaiMR2 said:
holy shot this game snuck up on me. I have been craving a more action oriented game since most of my recent purchases have been RPGs. I saw an import copy in denden that I might pick up today or tomm. Will holy me over till fallout.
I *think* they're sold out, might want to call them first.

Huh I thought I saw a copy at a too yesterday. Oh well I gotta take a defected garou game back anyway. Btw you are back in japan again marvel?

Phthisis

This game is fucking amazing. The layering of complexity and set pieces is just absolutely AAA top notch. As a player, I feel like the dev team went piece by piece from one end of the game to another and made sure that every possible minute of the game was as good as it could possibly be. Just absolutely fantastic.

I sincerely hope this game sells well enough to start a franchise, because the art direction, gameplay, graphics, everything, it's all highest tier stuff and I want to play more games of its ilk. Best new IP in a long time. A+, 5/5, I give it whatever the hell you want EA Redwood Shores.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Huh I thought I saw a copy at a too yesterday. Oh well I gotta take a defected garou game back anyway. Btw you are back in japan again marvel?
I bought it from there at the weekend and the shelf was bare this afternoon. Do ask though, as they tend to hide stuff behind the counter on the odd occasion.

And yes, back in Osaka at last!

Haha. Just got to the
asteroid shooting gallery
. Oh man my heart was pounding. Beat it on the first try with only 3 health left over on the hull integrity. :lol

Good times.

Just got to chapter 7. The
boss fight with the hentai tentacle monster was ok.

Still digging on the game. It's been a while since a single player game has pulled me in like this. I find myself thinking about playing the game throughout the day :lol I'm sure I would have finished it by now, but I only play at night, like I'm sure most everyone does.

Soon as I finish this, I'm going to get back to Silent Hill (only an hour in). I just hope Dead Space doesn't make it feel shitty.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
your_fat_uncle said:
Watching those animated comics after I beat the game is really cool. I'd recomend waiting till you do for anyone who hasn't watched them yet. A lot of the things in the first chapter were major reveals to me when I played the game itself. It's much more effective this way.
Cool, I think I'll do that; PC version should be shipping out today, unless I've missed something.

RPS37

Chapter 6
boss
Help, please.

I've run completely out of ammo three times now. I'm super short on cash, so the last time I sold the force gun to get ammo for my other weapons. Still ran out.

What's the easiest strategy for taking this shit out??

Burger

Looking forward to picking this up on Friday. Fable 2 out on Thursday, so at least I'll have something to play during the evening and at night.

(Yeah there is no way I'm playing Dead Space at night).

Silent Hill, Doom 3, Condemned, those games scare the shit out of me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Beat it! Damned fun. Now to make sense of the story... I don't think I have all the motivations sorted out.

Jeo said:
Sorry, I didn't see that
Heh, wait, I thought the
"follow the security team" thing
was a Chapter 11 spoiler. I kept waiting for that, then realized it was from the very beginning. Doh.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dan said:
Beat it! Damned fun. Now to make sense of the story... I don't think I have all the motivations sorted out.

Heh, wait,
I thought the "follow the security team" thing
was a Chapter 11 spoiler. I kept waiting for that, then realized it was from the very beginning. Doh.
Sweet, i took a chance and read your spoiler and that cleared up any worries i had that the picture spoiled me :lol

RPS37 said:
Chapter 6
boss
Help, please.

I've run completely out of ammo three times now. I'm super short on cash, so the last time I sold the force gun to get ammo for my other weapons. Still ran out.

It would help to have ammo... the charge beam takes off tentacles with one hit, but don't forget about the explosives floating around. You only need ammo for the tentacles. You can just use kinesis on the turd spitting sphincter. Keep at it. I had very little ammo as well. Make sure you are fairly close to the tentacle weak points when you fire at them.

Zeliard

RPS37 said:
Chapter 6
boss
Help, please.

Honestly, if you're really low on ammo and can't sell anything to get more ammo (especially contact energy, which works wonders in that fight), it might be better to try and reload a recent save if you can from back when you had more money or things to sell. I kept multiple saves each chapter for reasons like this (learned the hard way back in the first Ninja Gaiden that it's not that tough to get stuck in these near-impossible situations), though I never ended up having to revert to an older one.

I don't remember how many explosives are laying around during that fight. Kinesis + explosives does work well, but obviously only if there are enough around.

Mr. Smith

when does this game come out in europe? i need to play this asap, damm ea and their region locked games! gears 2 is coming out in a few weeks so i need to finish this game by then.

Dyno

Zeliard said:
Honestly, if you're really low on ammo and can't sell anything to get more ammo (especially contact energy, which works wonders in that fight), it might be better to try and reload a recent save if you can from back when you had more money or things to sell. I kept multiple saves each chapter for reasons like this (learned the hard way back in the first Ninja Gaiden that it's not that tough to get stuck in these near-impossible situations), though I never ended up having to revert to an older one.

I don't remember how many explosives are laying around during that fight. Kinesis + explosives does work well, but obviously only if there are enough around.

I need help on Chapter Six too. For clarification:

Getting the tentacles off is easy. What am I shooting for when the spincter is doing it's thing? Do I shoot directly in the mouth or off to the side? Should I be shooting the rocks when they are in the mouth? I'm not getting enough feedback that tells me what I should do.

Zeliard

Draft said:
I'm pretty sure there's an infinite number of explosives. Like, as they get destroyed, they keep spawning in.

Pretty cool if true. My first time through the game was on medium and I didn't use kinesis as often as I should though there are usually tons of items laying around each room. I did abuse stasis however, especially later on when it becomes pretty much necessary. I maxed out stasis eventually, but I didn't put a single upgrade node into kinesis. Doesn't seem to be worth it. It doesn't do anything but increase the range on it, right?

I want to go through the game at some point using nothing but the plasma cutter and lots of kinesis, for a different experience.

Dyno said:

Getting the tentacles off is easy. What am I shooting for when the spincter is doing it's thing? Do I shoot directly in the mouth or off to the side? Should I be shooting the rocks when they are in the mouth? I'm not getting enough feedback that tells me what I should do.

Yeah, shoot the mouth when the tentacles are gone. I basically shot at it during the times when it wasn't preparing that rock thing in its mouth - basically right after it would launch one at me and its mouth was momentarily empty. I don't know if you can shoot it when the rock is in its mouth, or rather, if that does anything.

Barrett2

In Ch.2, I just walked into the room where a
female doctor is performing an autopsy(?) on a dead body, but when she hears me walk in she cuts her own throat.
Normally I hate scary games, but I am loving this. :lol

Draft

Kinesis upgrade only increases the range. Kind of nice from a convenience standpoint.

Honestly, I think the game is a little too stingy with the upgrades. You can only max out a single weapon, maybe get 1/3rd or halfway on another weapon, and get your suit's HP topped off. And that's it on a single playthrough. It seems like maybe the intent is to upgrade yourself over multiple playthroughs, and that's how the upgrade balance is designed, but that doesn't make much sense.

bigswords

Dyno said:

Use your kinetic power to push back the rocks that it's spitting at you. Next when the mouth opening is cleared, shoot into it. Rinse repeat.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Draft said:
Kinesis upgrade only increases the range. Kind of nice from a convenience standpoint.

Honestly, I think the game is a little too stingy with the upgrades. You can only max out a single weapon, maybe get 1/3rd or halfway on another weapon, and get your suit's HP topped off. And that's it on a single playthrough. It seems like maybe the intent is to upgrade yourself over multiple playthroughs, and that's how the upgrade balance is designed, but that doesn't make much sense.

It makes ZERO sense without the ability to slide up a difficulty level on replay. I am currently about to finish my second run(chapter 10), trying to max out everything, and even spending massive cash resources on power nodes as well as finding them all again, I -still- won't be able to max out everything until a 3rd playthrough. I still have at least two guns that are untouched with nodes.

Also, the game is a cakewalk on replay. Like stupidly easy, and I am playing on hard. Meanwhile Impossible mode is sitting there waiting for me now, but I'll have to start with a clean slate?

Did no one think this through at EA?

Zeliard

Draft said:

I can understand the intent and reasoning behind that. It makes new game + more valuable and increases the replay value, since it's virtually impossible to max everything out on one playthrough or even come close, especially if you're also buying new suits along the way. So I actually like that aspect of it.

What is annoying to me and unfortunate are the gimped DLC suits, which makes the fact that you can't carry a new game + over to a higher difficulty more frustrating. Maxed out at level 2 defense and not able to have the armor upgraded? What's the point of that? I was going to go through the game on hard with one of those suits for my second playthrough, but that looks like it would only make things a lot harder when you get to the point where you can start buying the level 3 suit and can't because you're already sporting a fake level 5 suit which only really has the inventory slots bonus. They need to release some non-gimped suits, or at least allow the option of upgrading their defense, because they do look cool and should be as useful for gameplay as they are for the change in visuals.

Draft

Brandon F said:
It makes ZERO sense without the ability to slide up a difficulty level on replay. I am currently about to finish my second run(chapter 10), trying to max out everything, and even spending massive cash resources on power nodes as well as finding them all again, I -still- won't be able to max out everything until a 3rd playthrough. I still have at least two guns that are untouched with nodes.

Also, the game is a cakewalk on replay. Like stupidly easy, and I am playing on hard. Meanwhile Impossible mode is sitting there waiting for me now, but I'll have to start with a clean slate?

Did no one think this through at EA?
It probably wouldn't make much sense even if you could slide up difficulty on new game+, at least the way the game's balanced now. You're right, and end game Isaac is a fucking monster, and basically invulnerable to regular early game enemies. Even with the enemy damage cranked up, you're still rocking huge armor, huge HP and at least one retarded strong weapon.

I actually wish there wasn't a new game +, but that you did get maybe 30% more nodes in a single playthrough.

Zabka

Brandon F said:
Don't be a wuss.

Zeliard

Draft said:
It probably wouldn't make much sense even if you could slide up difficulty on new game+, at least the way the game's balanced now. You're right, and end game Isaac is a fucking monster, and basically invulnerable to regular early game enemies. Even with the enemy damage cranked up, you're still rocking huge armor, huge HP and at least one retarded strong weapon.

I actually went through the entire game on medium without putting a single node at all in Isaac's Rig, including hit points. I guess it would've been a cool visual to see the HP bar on his back get longer and longer, but I didn't feel it was necessary with the defense going up every suit level upgrade, and I only ended up dying a few times (mostly from the environment). On hard, though, nodes are definitely going into HP.

Draft

When I go through impossible I won't max the rig. I will probably put 1 in O2 and 2 in HP. I don't think you really need any points in O2 from a minmax POV, but I really feel like that extra 10 seconds or whatever makes all the vacuum segments a lot smoother.

linsivvi

endlessflood said:
You mean all of the trophies except 'Epic Tier 3 Engineer' ("complete the game on the hardest difficulty level") right? Or did you get 'Epic Tier 3 Engineer' just from finishing the game on Hard?

All except the Epic Tier 3 Engineer (and the Platinum one of course). Impossible's gonna be a bitch to play, but that's where the best part of the game should be. :D

Draft said:

Depends on the difficulty level. In medium you can upgrade everything in just 2 playthroughs. Provided you search for everything, opened all power node doors, and be smart with your ammo and items. Avoid using medium medkit and sell them, and sell all air can, stasis refill, ammo of guns you don't use.

When you finish the game you get rewarded with
loads of cash and power nodes
, which helps. By the time I finished my 3rd playthrough, I had 999999 cash plus about 50 power nodes, so that should give you an idea.

TheFreshPrince

finishing up Chapter 5 in Dead Space....when all of sudden the graphics turned vector/cel-shaded. It looked cool, but really weird. At first I thought maybe it was because of the
cryogenic freeze chamber, like maybe it was messing up the room
, but then I went back to the tram, and it was the same deal. I shut off the 360 and when I turned it back on, no picture, only audio...and wonderful white dots on a black screen. Thanks Dead Space! Now my 360 is dead at the worst possible time....nooooooooo!!

Zeliard

So has anyone actually tried to go through Impossible yet? Must be hard as fuck since you have to start from scratch unless you use a DLC suit, which have very limited and non-upgradeable defense anyway.

Neep help on Chapter 7
where you need to plant whatever it is onto the asteroid and shoot it out into space. I'm not sure how to land on the asteroid without getting cut in half by the two sweeping blades. I've tried using Stasis on everything, but maybe I'm just not using it on the right parts...

Zeliard said:
So has anyone actually tried to go through Impossible yet?

This right here.

I was gonna give it a jump tonight as I kill time before Fable O'Clock.

"Impossible" impressions later.

Oh, and if you haven't yet, watch the six issues of animated comics. SO good. EA could easily have a movie franchise here.

verio said:
I dislike scary games, but I gave into the hype. So, yeah... I'm hooked, but utterly terrified. :lol
This is pretty much my situation as well. I find most "scary" games boring and don't realy enjoy the atmosphere, but I am enjoying Dead Space.

cann3dheat said:
Neep help on Chapter 7
where you need to plant whatever it is onto the asteroid and shoot it out into space. I'm not sure how to land on the asteroid without getting cut in half by the two sweeping blades. I've tried using Stasis on everything, but maybe I'm just not using it on the right parts...

Notice the pattern of the slicing blades? They move inward and then outward. You need to jump near the edge of the asteroid when they go in and then run on the astroid to the outside before they swing back. This is where the other tethers will be. Hope that helps/

Draft

cann3dheat said:
Neep help on Chapter 7
Half of the asteroid hangs outside in a vacuum, and the sweeping blades don't go there. Time your jump to avoid the blades, and then run outside into the vacuum.

TP

cann3dheat said:
Neep help on Chapter 7

You don't need stasis, just time your jump so you land on the asteroid when the machine stops spinning. Then run to the other side and jump to the next tether.

Edit: Beaten twice

I can't get over how amazing this game looks. Wish it were actually scary (it's shocking in a few places, some good jump scares here and there, but I don't find it "scary") but the game has been a blast so far.

AND IT LOOKS SO GOOD

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How long does it take for VG+ to send this fucking game?

I'm getting angry...

I'm loving this game. But I do have one question: what's up with the weirdo suit? Isaac looks like one of the Celestials out of Marvel comics.

FourthHost.jpg

Top Bottom