• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

dk_

Cornballer said:
Is it worth my while to buy power nodes early in the game? I'm not sure what else I should be spending my cash on (other than new weapons.)
Good question.

And is it better to unlock doors with the nodes or should I upgrade my stuff?

CoilShot

Question....Why cant I buy the level 2 suit? Its saying aleady in inventory but I dont see it. I do have the free DLC suit equipped is that why?

Zeliard

It's usually worth it to use up a node to unlock those doors, since you usually get a lot more than 10000 credits back in value (the price of a single node at the shop). I made a habit of keeping one node around just to be able to unlock them. A couple of those rooms also held schematics in my game.

Ptaaty

Chapter 10 question:

I am supposed to fire the shuttle engines....I do and one of the regenerator guys shows up. I run around, and it says "release shuttle" as the next objective and the line shows the same spot I fired the engines from. So I do it....and again it test fires. How do I get the shuttle released?

Thanks

CoilShot said:
Question....Why cant I buy the level 2 suit? Its saying aleady in inventory but I dont see it. I do have the free DLC suit equipped is that why?
I think it's locked as soon as you equip the DLC suit.

vilmer_

Ptaaty said:
Chapter 10 question:

I am supposed to fire the shuttle engines....I do and one of the regenerator guys shows up. I run around, and it says "release shuttle" as the next objective and the line shows the same spot I fired the engines from. So I do it....and again it test fires. How do I get the shuttle released?

Thanks

Try luring the Regenerator into the hot, fiery path of the shuttle boosters ;)

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
It's usually worth it to use up a node to unlock those doors, since you usually get a lot more than 10000 credits back in value (the price of a single node at the shop). I made a habit of keeping one node around just to be able to unlock them. A couple of those rooms also held schematics in my game.

I got a room that only had 3 lockers, each with ammo. That was a waste of a node :lol

Granted I got a room with 5000 credits and schematics, tons of ammo and health, that one was worth it.

The worth of node-requiring rooms seems all over the place.

Ptaaty said:
Chapter 10 question:

Thanks

Dismemberment + stasis

CoilShot said:
Well can I still later buy the level 3 suit?
I have no idea - I'm only on the 2nd level of the game. I went to the store, saw the option to buy the level 2 suit, equipped the DLC suit, and then the level 2 suit was grayed out.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I got a room that only had 3 lockers, each with ammo. That was a waste of a node :lol

Granted I got a room with 5000 credits and schematics, tons of ammo and health, that one was worth it.

All of them that I unlocked except for one had a stash of 5000 credits, along with other stuff. I remember coming across one that didn't have the 5k and being surprised. Wonder if it was the same one. :p

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
All of them that I unlocked except for one had a stash of 5000 credits, along with other stuff. I remember coming across one that didn't have the 5k and being surprised. Wonder if it was the same one. :p

The one in Chapter 5 was pretty barren, I was pissed :lol

I missed the ones in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 I think.

linsivvi said:
So I started a new game on impossible, and interestingly I am wearing the level 6 suit instead of the level 1 one. Nothing else carried over except the suit because it's a totally new game. I wonder if this is intentional or a bug. It will certainly make my life a little bit easier.
Would love to get your thoughts on Impossible once you've played it for a bit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Freedom = $1.05 said:
For the dismemberment trophies: Does dismembering a corpse count? I've been stomping anything and everything to try and get this :lol

Yea, they all count. To get 1000 dismemberments on a single run, you'll need to stomp every corpse and enemy you kill. As said before you can even stomp corpses that respawn backtracking through areas again. I got all the dismemberment achievements around chapter 11 doing this.

Oh and you don't need to get every log/communication to get the log achievements either. I missed two in my run and still got them unlocked with about 6-7 left blank to get before endgame too. Seems the game is lenient with about 8-10 missing.

dk_

Zzoram said:
The one in Chapter 5 was pretty barren, I was pissed :lol

I missed the ones in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 I think.
Good to know. :)

Another question:

I don't know if I like the outer space sections with the timelimit. Can you do all of those within the timelimit or do you have to use air tanks as a necessity sometimes ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Brandon F said:
Yea, they all count. To get 1000 dismemberments on a single run, you'll need to stomp every corpse and enemy you kill. As said before you can even stomp corpses that respawn backtracking through areas again. I got all the dismemberment achievements around chapter 11 doing this.

Oh and you don't need to get every log/communication to get the log achievements either. I missed two in my run and still got them unlocked with about 6-7 left blank to get before endgame too. Seems the game is lenient with about 8-10 missing.
Thanks for the info :)!

linsivvi

Papercuts said:
You started with it already on? I could see it being in the store, but that would help a lot.

Yeah it's already on when I started the game. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this but seems like it happened to others too. Exactly what I did was: beat the game, choose new game from main menu, pick impossible.

endlessflood said:
Would love to get your thoughts on Impossible once you've played it for a bit.

I'll probably take a break from the game for a few days first, went through it 3 times to get all the trophies. Just wanted to get to the first room and save.

LJ11

Does the DLC suit really break the game? I put it on, just to try it out, but I didn't know that you couldn't switch back or upgrade to another one.

Zzoram

dk_ said:
Good to know. :)

Another question:

I don't know if I like the outer space sections with the timelimit. Can you do all of those within the timelimit or do you have to use air tanks as a necessity sometimes ?

You can use air tanks, or upgrade your RIG to have a longer time limit. The trick to the outer parts is not fighting the enemies, just stasis and run past them to save time.

Anyone figure out how to unlock Dr Mercer's office in chapter 2? Searched everywhere for a way in but couldn't figure it out. Damned locked doors!!

Does anyone have a mirror to where I can download all the animated comics? I have the PSN versions, but they're censored. Gametrailers has all of them, except they don't have Episode 6 available in a format other than flash. Fileplanet has them, but they're all IGN watermarked. The only other places I've found don't have all 6 available in 1280x720.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PistolPete said:
Anyone figure out how to unlock Dr Mercer's office in chapter 2? Searched everywhere for a way in but couldn't figure it out. Damned locked doors!!
There is a room with a couple of book shelves adjacent to the office. You need to use kinesis on the bookcase to the right to move it out of the way, letting you go through a secret passage and into the office

RoboPlato said:
There is a room with a couple of book shelves adjacent to the office. You need to use kinesis on the bookcase to the right to move it out of the way, letting you go through a secret passage and into the office

Thank you sir!

Halvie

Banned
holy fuck chapter 10 was so intense.... game is going to give me a heart attack. It never lets up.

edit: Is it easier to melee monsters with weapons other than the plasma cutter? I want that achievement but it is really hard to melee with that thing.

Azrael

Snapshot King said:
Man, is it just me, or does the ripper basically do the same job as the flamethrower but 100 times better? And even fully upgraded the force gun seems startlingly ineffective, especially compared to say the linecutter.

The Flamethrower is the worst weapon by far IMO. I pumped all my power nodes into it to make getting the 30 kills trophy easier, and it still sucked.

Azrael

Zzoram said:

There was one power node room with an audio log in it during Chapter 2 as well.

Azrael

At this rate, I don't think I would even get Maxed Out on a second playthrough. I'm on Chapter 11 and I've only fully upgraded two weapons, the Plasma Cutter and Flamethrower. I keep 40k credits in reserve in case of emergency supplies, and I keep 2 power nodes in reserve in case I run into any locked doors.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hi everyone - apologies if this has come up already, but my searches of the thread didn't pull up any matches. Is it possible to change the difficulty level of the New Game+ once you finish the game for the first time? I've tried starting several new games with my cleared save file to get it to load as a New Game+ at a higher difficulty leval, but it's not letting me do it. Not sure if it's just me, or if that limitation was intentional :( .

I really had fun with the game - it's definitely the best new IP I've played so far this year. The only thing I didn't like (besides the new game+ issue described above) was the
mass driver gun mini-game in Episode 4. I know it was intended to give you a break from all the dismemberment, strategic or otherwise, but it really pulled me out of the game's atmosphere.
Which was a pity, as the game's designers did a superb job at making the UI as seamless as possible, as well as almost everything else.

Other than that, I was really impressed by how well all the different elements of the game came together: the VAs didn't suck, the (thankfully) limited music was perfect, and the sound design was fantastic. And I really loved all the hat tips to classic horror films, space-based or otherwise. I kept on expecting to hear "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" but I suppose that would have been overkill :lol) The final boss
was deliciously Lovecraftian - great character design there.

I hope we see Issac again, and quite soon
(assuming Nicole didn't eat him :D)
. I was reading
the background files that get unlocked after you beat the game for the first time and Issac has a missing military dad, so maybe we'll see him too.
I'll definitely be picking up the movie (already have the comics) as the game world is pretty interesting).

Speaking of the comics: if you enjoyed the game, I definitely recommend checking them out.
There's a lot of background info there re the Unitologists, as well as the marker and the Ishimura's involvement with it, and there's an audio file in Episode 12 that references a comic book character in the game as well. Poor Neumann, I was hoping he made it out alive, but I don't think anyone did (besides Issac).

Zzoram

Azrael said:
There was one power node room with an audio log in it during Chapter 2 as well.

I guess I won't be getting that achievement :lol

So wait, for the 150 log achievement, do you have to get all 150 during a single pass of the game, or can you pick up the ones you missed in New Game+ ?

Azrael

Brandon F said:

You don't need to get all 1,000 mutilations in a single game, do you?

Rednax

Neo Member
Just beat this last night. Though the content of the game is not that original, it takes everything it borrows to perfection and just makes a fantastic game out of it, up there with Bioshock for me. (I want a game with just Zero G Basketball in it)

Zzoram

I am a bit disappointed this didn't come out on PC at the same time though. I would have enjoyed it much more on PC, because the Asteroid Defense mini-game almost made me toss my controller at the TV. The wonky aiming drove me nuts, and it took me forever to beat it. Maybe I'm just bad at using thumbsticks, but I found that part incredibly frustrating, and it almost killed my love of this game. I really hope I never have to do anything like that again. In fact, it's the thing I dread most if I decide to replay the game.

I'm stuck right now in Chapter 5 where
this guy talks to me through a window, then I enter this room and that enemy I can't kill is there again with a bunch of other enemies and no way to escape
...what do I do?

Drek

Anyone got any advice on if the DLC suit is worth using on a hard run through? Sounds like it'd only make the game harder because of low defense.

Also anyone got any tips on how to chop up enemies with the plasma cutter?

I've been using it with a horizontal beam, so it looks kinda like a crossbow, and I shoot at the clearest in view leg until I drop the enemy, then shoot off the arm. I'm typically using 5 or 6 plasma rounds for an enemy.

Is that grossy inefficient and is there a better way to go about this, or is that par for the course?

Costanza

Banned
Linkzg said:
I'm stuck right now in Chapter 5 where
this guy talks to me through a window, then I enter this room and that enemy I can't kill is there again with a bunch of other enemies and no way to escape
...what do I do?
I can think of 2 sections like that. The first one you just have to run around until Kendra tells you she opened the door.. and if you're at the second one: Is there a small room filled with like.. fog in the middle?

Costanza said:
I can think of 2 sections like that. The first one you just have to run around until Kendra tells you she opened the door.. and if you're at the second one: Is there a small room filled with like.. fog in the middle?

I think there is fog, but the room is pretty big.

Costanza

Banned
Linkzg said:
I think there is fog, but the room is pretty big.
Lure the thing into that fog room then cut all it's limbs off so it starts regenerating. Slow it down with stasis and then run into the room up top (towards your objective) and hit the Cryo Freeze switch that's in there.
. Took me a little while to figure out.

Costanza said:
Lure the thing into that fog room then cut all it's limbs off so it starts regenerating. Slow it down with stasis and then run into the room up top (towards your objective) and hit the Cryo Freeze switch that's in there.

Actually, it turns out I was in the firsto ne. But that tip will probably come in handy.

CoilShot

RoboPlato said:
I can't seem to find
the book shelves and I'v checked all around. Is it room with nurse who cut herself? I've used kinesis on eveything pretty much

User2k

Costanza said:

Don't really need to cut its limbs. Statis was enough for me.

Zzoram said:
Is it even worth it to upgrade Kinesis and Stasis?

I did, but I was also doing One Gun and had nothing else to upgrade. Didn't notice a hell of a difference.

CoilShot said:
I can't seem to find
the book shelves and I'v checked all around. Is it room with nurse who cut herself? I've used kinesis on eveything pretty much

R3? Or whatever the 360 equivalent button maybe. That guide feature is fantastic.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Zzoram said:
Is it even worth it to upgrade Kinesis and Stasis?

Kinesis really isn't necessary to ugrade outside of achievements. Stasis only matters if you find yourself depending on it often for combat. With it upgraded, it will last far longer and you can use it so much more before a recharge is needed. Once you get a weapon or two near maxed though, Stasis won't be that necessary to help kill stuff.

Prezhulio

something to note to those of you who put on the dlc suit (for ps3 anyways) and are regretting it for whatever reason (i don't think i saw anyone post this yet, but who knows):

don't delete the game data (11mb, just like the suit download) to see if you can get it off, any save game with the dlc used will be corrupted. reinstalling it should fix your save game though.

i'm on chapter 6, and this game is the finest survival horror i've played in a while. EA redwood, kudos.

Top Bottom