• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Hey at least were all here with helping hands!

Going through it again on hard with my level six bad ass suit and just destroying enemies. :D

I'll start impossible mode one day. Too much gaming goodness coming in the next few months to do that currently... BUT... itwill make the game scary and nerve wracking again when I do get around to it. :D

guise

I finally pre-ordered it, if im picking it up on day 1 (UK), might aswell pick up the bonus too.

I keep seeing a lot of people in this thread talking about lack of ammo - which really pisses me off in shooters - whats the verdict. Play through on normal, then replay on hard or is ammo plentiful enough on hard? If i do one play through on medium, can i do a second on hard while keeping all the weapons/kit?

Also, whats this i keep reading about the downloadable suits? you cant upgrade them after a certain level or something, is it best to stick to the regular ingame ones?

Leondexter said:
I'm loving this game. But I do have one question: what's up with the weirdo suit? Isaac looks like one of the Celestials out of Marvel comics.

FourthHost.jpg

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Celestials are full of win.

Zzoram

guise said:
I keep seeing a lot of people in this thread talking about lack of ammo - which really pisses me off in shooters - whats the verdict.

Also, whats this i keep reading about the downloadable suits? you cant upgrade them after a certain level or something, is it best to stick to the regular ingame ones?

The ammo spawns dynamically based on the weapons you carry. If you only keep 1 or 2 guns on you at a time, you'll get a lot more ammo for those guns, and you'll not be as ammo starved.

The DLC suits are permanent, if you put them on, you can't take them off. The highest level upgrade suit in the game is better, but having the DLC suit from the start works out to be more powerful, since you get the full inventory and don't have to spend money on suit upgrades. That said, the DLC suits might make your playthrough a tad easy, I personally skipped it.

Draft

guise said:
I finally pre-ordered it, if im picking it up on day 1 (UK), might aswell pick up the bonus too.

I keep seeing a lot of people in this thread talking about lack of ammo - which really pisses me off in shooters - whats the verdict. Play through on normal, then replay on hard or is ammo plentiful enough on hard? If i do one play through on medium, can i do a second on hard while keeping all the weapons/kit?

I never had any ammo issues. But I'm pretty awesome at these kind of games.

I recommend playing through first on normal.

You cannot take gear from a cleared game on normal to a hard game, or vice versa.

There is a downloadable suit on XBL/PSN. The suit has a 10% armor bonus (which is equivalent to the second level suit you can buy in the game) and a full inventory (this is equivalent to the 5th and final level suit you can buy.) If you equip the DLC suit, you CANNOT upgrade to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th level suits. That means that you will miss out on the armor those suits provide.

Zzoram said:
The ammo spawns dynamically based on the weapons you carry. If you only keep 1 or 2 guns on you at a time, you'll get a lot more ammo for those guns, and you'll not be as ammo starved.

The DLC suits are permanent, if you put them on, you can't take them off. The highest level upgrade suit in the game is better, but having the DLC suit from the start works out to be more powerful, since you get the full inventory and don't have to spend money on suit upgrades. That said, the DLC suits might make your playthrough a tad easy, I personally skipped it.
Yeah I made the mistake of downloading the Elite suit just for kicks. Now whenever I get a suit upgrade it just sits there regardless of what I want to wear.

As far as difficulty goes, I haven't found it to be much easier, but the larger inventory is definitely a plus.

Anyone know if deleting the DLC armor will get rid of it?

Zeliard

Zzoram said:

The DLC suit gimps you, though. It's exactly what Draft said. While dubbed a "level 5" suit, its defense is permanently limited to that of regular level 2 suit's. The inventory is the only thing that's level 5 about it. So while the beginning of the game might be more manageable with one of the DLC suits, especially when it comes to the inventory space, you're essentially crippling yourself when you get around the halfway point and are expected to move on to a level 3 and above suit.

That really sucks, too. I'm not sure I want to use a DLC suit at all unless I play on medium again, and I'd rather play on hard this time around. New game + doesn't carry over to a new difficulty, either, so all the goodies you get by beating the game can't be transferred over to hard, or more importantly, impossible mode. So all three extra suits are essentially pointless to gameplay, and they really didn't have to be. All it would take is to remove the moronic and unnecessary defense limit, or to allow the military suit to be used in a new difficulty.

LJ11

Draft said:
I never had any ammo issues. But I'm pretty awesome at these kind of games.

I recommend playing through first on normal.

You cannot take gear from a cleared game on normal to a hard game, or vice versa.

There is a downloadable suit on XBL/PSN. The suit has a 10% armor bonus (which is equivalent to the second level suit you can buy in the game) and a full inventory (this is equivalent to the 5th and final level suit you can buy.) If you equip the DLC suit, you CANNOT upgrade to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th level suits. That means that you will miss out on the armor those suits provide.

Thanks for the info!

Dumping the DLC suit sounds like a good option.

Zeliard said:
The DLC suit gimps you, though.
I'm really hoping they patch it. Even just being able to select between different level suits (even though no one would want to do that) would suffice, because I just unlocked the level 4 suit and I'd like to use it, not to mention the Elite Suit kind of takes away from the atmosphere...

Zeliard said:
The DLC suit gimps you, though. It's exactly what Draft said. While dubbed a "level 5" suit, its defense is permanently limited to that of regular level 2 suit's. The inventory is the only thing that's level 5 about it. So while the beginning of the game might be more manageable with one of the DLC suits, especially when it comes to the inventory space, you're essentially crippling yourself when you get around the halfway point and are expected to move on to a level 3 and above suit.

That really sucks, too. I'm not sure I want to use a DLC suit at all unless I play on medium again, and I'd rather play on hard this time around. New game + doesn't carry over to a new difficulty, either, so all the goodies you get by beating the game can't be transferred over to hard, or more importantly, impossible mode. So all three extra suits are essentially pointless to gameplay, and they really didn't have to be. All it would take is to remove the moronic and unnecessary defense limit, or to allow the military suit to be used in a new difficulty.

what about the
military suit after you have beaten the game once? Can you upgrade that?

LJ11

vilmer_ said:
Yeah, I'm going to start a fresh game, get rid of the Scorpion Suit, and save up for the Level 6.

Someone said you can delete the DLC suit, start the game, it will give you an error message, re-download the suit, and your save will be restored w/ the DLC not equipped. I'm near the end of Chapter 3, too lazy to restart, especially since the game is really picking up now.

Here's something.

The big fat...fatties that are attached to the walls and spit out single-tentacled cat-babies...

I'm missing something with them because it's taking me FOREVER to kill them. The odd time when there is two in a room...fuck...I get completely drained of ammo. What am I doing wrong?

HugBasket

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Here's something.

The big fat...fatties that are attached to the walls and spit out single-tentacled cat-babies...

I'm missing something with them because it's taking me FOREVER to kill them. The odd time when there is two in a room...fuck...I get completely drained of ammo. What am I doing wrong?
stasis -> line gun secondary fire

bigdaddygamebot said:
Here's something.

Well if there is ever any explosive canisters in the room. One direct shot will take em out. Though in the later parts of the game there are none around. I personally used the force gun secondary fire to take them out. Then I would use the line gun if I ran out of ammo.

bigdaddygamebot said:
what about the

Even if you have the elite download suit on... yes you can still change into that one... I know... I did. :)

HugBasket said:
stasis -> line gun secondary fire

roger that.

Many thanks.

I forgot that was what I used earlier on but as it seemed like ammo for it was becoming more and more scarce, I switched to weapons with more abundant ammo. Duly noted.

:)

vilmer_

LJ11 said:
Someone said you can delete the DLC suit, start the game, it will give you an error message, re-download the suit, and your save will be restored w/ the DLC not equipped. I'm near the end of Chapter 3, too lazy to restart, especially since the game is really picking up now.

Oh sweet! I'll try that after this playthrough :)

TP

vilmer_ said:
Yeah, I'm going to start a fresh game, get rid of the Scorpion Suit, and save up for the Level 6.

Isn't the armor for the scorpion suit and a lvl 5 suit the same? (25%)

hrmm I am nearing the point where the DLC suit no longer has the armor advantage...

I really wish I would have known about how it cannot be removed...

Double D

I got the game from gamefly and am going to start in tonight. I'm a total pussy about horror games and really just want to get a fun experience out of this and be done with it. So, with that in mind, is my best bet to start with the DLC suit?

vilmer_

Jeo said:
Isn't the armor for the scorpion suit and a lvl 5 suit the same? (25%)

I believe so.. There is a Level 6 unlocked now that goes for 99,000 credits that I want to give a whirl, although I'm not sure about the armor on it... Could it be the
Military Suit
?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'd rather play this on my pc, but, I just read something about them fucking up the controls for the pc version. Is this true? If it's that big of an issue then I might just wait and bite on the 360 version later.

Vik_Vaughn said:
I got the game from gamefly and am going to start in tonight. I'm a total pussy about horror games and really just want to get a fun experience out of this and be done with it. So, with that in mind, is my best bet to start with the DLC suit?

Naw... instead just play the game on easy if your going for a enjoyable and fun experience.

vilmer_ said:
I believe so.. There is a Level 6 unlocked now that goes for 99,000 credits that I want to give a whirl, although I'm not sure about the armor on it... Could it be the
Military Suit
?

When you look as cool as you do in level 6, you won't care. :lol

LowParry

Holy fucking Jesus. I thought Silent Hill 4 had that atmosphere but Dead Space blows it out of the fucking water. I get that big Aliens vibe from it and I love it. About an hour into the game but hot damn. This game is lots of fun.

Leondexter said:
I'm loving this game. But I do have one question: what's up with the weirdo suit? Isaac looks like one of the Celestials out of Marvel comics.

FourthHost.jpg
One of my gripes with the design as well. The suit design is ugly, but the detail and imperfections are done very well.

Another question I have is why is he mute?

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
what about the

You don't have to. It's already a
level 6
suit, which makes it more powerful than anything else you get.

Oreoleo

Oldschoolgamer said:
I'd rather play this on my pc, but, I just read something about them fucking up the controls for the pc version. Is this true? If it's that big of an issue then I might just wait and bite on the 360 version later.

It's just kind of awkward to do everything with a keyboard and mouse. In the heat of battle (especially on harder difficulties) I'd imagine opening up inventory and selecting a stasis module (just as an example) while backpeddling and holding down the run button would be kind of awkward. I was torn between the 360 and PC version too but very shortly into the game on 360 I realized how hard playing with a keyboard would be.

Could always plug the 360 controller into your PC of course.

edit: Not to mention that there is an aim button you have to hold down to fire your gun, which probably feels out of place when using a mouse.

Zeliard

For what it's worth, as someone who has been playing PC shooters for ages and generally loathes gamepads when it comes to shooters, Dead Space falls into that rare Rainbow Six: Vegas/Gears of War territory where the analog controls are really not that bad - in fact, they're quite comfortable. It's a slower-paced game that doesn't necessitate the twitch aiming of some other shooters, so that helps, but the sensitivity and everything else feels very good (for a gamepad, at least).

And that's with the PS3 version, too, with the DS3's loose ass analog sticks and shitty triggers.

Dark Octave said:
Another question I have is why is he mute?

They really went "hands off" with him regarding anything that really had to deal with the story.

I think they generally wanted you to be able to move around and explore even during "story scenes". Having him talk to another character all while you've got him rooting around in a corner looking for phat lewts.

It's a small complaint of mine that I would have enjoyed seeing him act/respond more like a character and less like a soulless avatar much of the time.

Zeliard said:
For what it's worth, as someone who has been playing PC shooters for ages and generally loathes gamepads when it comes to shooters, Dead Space falls into that rare Rainbow Six: Vegas/Gears of War territory where the analog controls are really not that bad - in fact, they're quite comfortable. It's a slower-paced game that doesn't necessitate the twitch aiming of some other shooters, so that helps, but the sensitivity and everything else feels very good (for a gamepad, at least).

And that's with the PS3 version, too, with the DS3's loose ass analog sticks and shitty triggers.
Really the only reason I go with the 360 for any type of shooter.

To be fair, I go with the PS3 for anything that involves the D-pad.

Decado

*sigh* This game is kicking my ass on Hard mode. I'm going to have to go back to Normal. Not enough ammo, and too many tough enemies appearing at short range (and you're not exactly playing a nimble guy). Is there a way to change the difficulty during a game / before a new chapter?

Big-E

Decado said:
*sigh* This game is kicking my ass on Hard mode. I'm going to have to go back to Normal. Not enough ammo, and too many tough enemies appearing at short range (and you're not exactly playing a nimble guy). Is there a way to change the difficulty during a game / before a new chapter?

How far are you in? I found that on hard, the game got a little easier as you go along because you start making money hand over fist so ammo becomes less of a problem.

Decided to pick the game up today instead of waiting awhile to get it cheaper.

Wow, this game is so much fun. I'm not a big horror fan or anything but this is the only game I have played in years where I have sat down and actually played it for a good amount of time. These days I'm lucky if I play a half hour before I get bored and move on to something else...

Grade A purchase.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The fuck Gamestop? All I get in the mail today is an artbook, and the website lists the PC version as backordered.

bigdaddygamebot said:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Celestials are full of win.

I never said bad, just weird. Especially since the game has posters saying "don't forget to sync your suit" or whatever, but Isaac's the only one wearing the thing. It just seems to beg for some kind of explanation, even if it's just "this is our enviro-suited errand boy, Isaac". Maybe I should check out those comics or the movie.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Leondexter said:
I never said bad, just weird. Especially since the game has posters saying "don't forget to sync your suit" or whatever, but Isaac's the only one wearing the thing. It just seems to beg for some kind of explanation, even if it's just "this is our enviro-suited errand boy, Isaac". Maybe I should check out those comics or the movie.

All the characters in the game are wearing a rig. They are the things on their backs with the life bars.

Zeliard

nathkenn said:
All the characters in the game are wearing a rig. They are the things on their backs with the life bars.

Yep. Isaac just wears a helmet, which is natural as he's the engineer who goes into the depths of spaceships dealing with environmental, and other, hazards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, the final boss looked impressive as hell, I didn't find it that hard though.

Can someone explain the ending?
Is Isaac dead? Was it even a cliffhanger considering you killed the Hive Mind and were basically safe(assuming he lived)?

Top Bottom