• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh man, I just did chapter 10 and had to take a break not long after, that completly took it out of me. Definitely the most intense chapter so far for me.

Halvie said:
holy fuck chapter 10 was so intense.... game is going to give me a heart attack. It never lets up.

edit: Is it easier to melee monsters with weapons other than the plasma cutter? I want that achievement but it is really hard to melee with that thing.

I got the 30 melee kills around chapter 6-7. Try stasis then beat the crap out of enemies, getting the kill with the curb stomp also counts. You can shoot off the legs then run up and smash their skull in.

Tobor

My roomate(not a GAF member) is stuck
on the asteroids section in chapter 4
. Is there a trick to it he's missing? He's been cussing at his tv all afternoon.

Zzoram

Tobor said:
My roomate(not a GAF member) is stuck
on the asteroids section in chapter 4
. Is there a trick to it he's missing? He's been cussing at his tv all afternoon.

Only fire with 1 trigger at a time, or alternate, so you don't overheat as fast. Focus on the bigger rocks, they do more damage. The ones that hit near the middle seem to do more damage as well, so focus on them.

It took me around 13-14 tries to beat it, some people managed to beat it in 1. I think luck is part of it, since the rocks come differently each time.

Tobor

Zzoram said:
Only fire with 1 trigger at a time, or alternate, so you don't overheat as fast. Focus on the bigger rocks, they do more damage. The ones that hit near the middle seem to do more damage as well, so focus on them.

It took me around 13-14 tries to beat it, some people managed to beat it in 1. I think luck is part of it, since the rocks come differently each time.

He's talking about a section where you're walking in space and get bombarded by asteroids. He's supposed to shoot them, or is that a different section?

I must say this game has such a high level of presentation I'm blown away. I was excited for this game but I feel like the hype for this game was nowhere near the level it should be for a game with this level of quality. Potential for GOTY in my book. . .

ultron87

Chapter 7:
That was so not cool when the game has a monster spawn directly behind you to attack as you exit using a Bench. Though I must admit I'm impressed by their ability to take away any perceived moments of safety. I'm still waiting for the almost inevitable time they make something be on the tram at the end of a chapter.

Zzoram

Tobor said:
He's talking about a section where you're walking in space and get bombarded by asteroids. He's supposed to shoot them, or is that a different section?

Oh, you mean

when you're walking in open space and there's showers of asteroids hitting you and blowing you up? the trick is to run to cover, wait for the wave to pass and damage your cover, then run to the next cover. you might run out of air if you didn't upgrade your RIG, so you might need an air can. damaged cover looks like this:

dsp039.jpg

Zeliard

Tobor said:

He's not supposed to shoot those. He has to get behind those barriers and steadily keep moving up during the points where the asteroids aren't crashing down.

Halvie

Banned
Just finished. About 11 hours on hard while only using the plasma cutter. FS: Dead Space for 360 $50 shipped :)

Don't get the people that like the last boss. Thought it was lame as fuck. Worst game mechanic in the game, and cheap as hell at least on hard.

Zzoram

Tobor said:
Thanks guys, he's kicking himself for not figuring it out.

Ya I died a lot there. If you think that's frustrating, wait until he finishes that part :lol There is a save as soon as you get across, then you get to do something that's probably harder.

Luckily I think Chapter 4 is the most annoying in the game, so he won't have that much trouble anywhere else.

linsivvi said:
I'll probably take a break from the game for a few days first, went through it 3 times to get all the trophies. Just wanted to get to the first room and save.
You mean all of the trophies except 'Epic Tier 3 Engineer' ("complete the game on the hardest difficulty level") right? Or did you get 'Epic Tier 3 Engineer' just from finishing the game on Hard?

knkng

Zzoram said:

Heh, I just got to this part and had to put the game down for a minute. The difficulty of this part seems a little out of whack with everything else so far, it`s pretty frustrating.

I know this advice wasn`t directed at me, but I`m gonna use it anyways. Thanks for those tips. :)

Zzoram

knkng said:
Heh, I just got to this part and had to put the game down for a minute. The difficulty of this part seems a little out of whack with everything else so far, it`s pretty frustrating.

I know this advice wasn`t directed at me, but I`m gonna use it anyways. Thanks for those tips. :)

I kept going until I beat it, because I didn't want my play session to end like that. I also knew that I would have a hard time coming back to it if I knew that I'd have to do that as soon as I loaded my save file.

Draft

Last boss is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a videogame. Awe inspiring graphics. Normally I don't get too worked up over graphics, but that shit is just too much.

Edit: the best protip that I found for the asteroid part is to only shoot within the middle window, and even then, try to stay around the center.

It is an awful fucking section of an otherwise masterful game.

RavenFox

Banned
Papercuts said:
Oh man, I just did chapter 10 and had to take a break not long after, that completly took it out of me. Definitely the most intense chapter so far for me.

I got the 30 melee kills around chapter 6-7. Try stasis then beat the crap out of enemies, getting the kill with the curb stomp also counts. You can shoot off the legs then run up and smash their skull in.
Does that auto rip and stomp after tapping x and killing that winged humping creature counts towards this?

Jirotrom

Zzoram said:
Oh, you mean

when you're walking in open space and there's showers of asteroids hitting you and blowing you up? the trick is to run to cover, wait for the wave to pass and damage your cover, then run to the next cover. you might run out of air if you didn't upgrade your RIG, so you might need an air can. damaged cover looks like this:

dsp039.jpg
you dont need an upgrade or an aircan for that spot if you're fast enough.

knkng

Zzoram said:
I kept going until I beat it, because I didn't want my play session to end like that. I also knew that I would have a hard time coming back to it if I knew that I'd have to do that as soon as I loaded my save file.
I just went back and beat it now. I was just getting pissed before because I'd keep getting to the line where the guys says "I've almost got it, just give me a second" or something like that, and then I'd get hit with an asteroid shit-storm. Oh well, only took about 12 to 15 tries for me, not too bad.

Halvie

Banned
Draft said:
Last boss is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a videogame. Awe inspiring graphics. Normally I don't get too worked up over graphics, but that shit is just too much.

Edit: the best protip that I found for the asteroid part is to only shoot within the middle window, and even then, try to stay around the center.

It is an awful fucking section of an otherwise masterful game.

What did the boss when you fought him?
for the first 25 times or so he kept shooting those guys who have facehuggers crawl out. Couldn't do it for the life of me. Then the time I beat it it doesn't spawn those guys or shoot the meteors at you....odd

Oreoleo

Chapter 10. Holy shit.
Return of the nemesis, when he comes through the vent the 2nd time into the hallway right before the elevator. I just barely escaped with my life in the previous room. Then the evil scientist guy comes on the radio and starts talking while I'm waiting next to the save point and BAM. Totally fucking dead :(
This game is so awesome. I can't get over it.

GameGamer

Tobor said:

I could run to every other cover without trouble.

Go to first cover, wait for impact, then run to third cover, etc.

GameGamer

McLovin said:
Why was everyone complaining about the
Asteroid
part earlier? It only took me a couple of tries :/

Me too, but it really should have been cut. Feels so out of place and frustrating.

Zeliard

McLovin said:
Why was everyone complaining about the
Asteroid
part earlier? It only took me a couple of tries :/

It only took me two tries as well, but I can understand the complaints because the aiming is incredibly wonky during that section. It just doesn't feel accurate at all, especially compared to the usual aiming mechanics in the rest of the game, which are perfect (and I usually hate using gamepads for shooters).

GameGamer

Anyone else think this game feel would be great for a Splatterhouse remake?

I really wanted this to be haunted house instead of alien space.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Made it to Chapter 10. Game keeps getting better and better. I keep thinking that the game wont make me kind of jump anymore but they keep finding ways. The game pulls off the hopeless and alone feeling really really well even if there are still some survivors.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Comment on Chapter 9:
What the hell was Hammond trying to do, besides get his ass killed and buy me 5 extra seconds to think about how I'm going to slay yet another Brute?

holy shot this game snuck up on me. I have been craving a more action oriented game since most of my recent purchases have been RPGs. I saw an import copy in denden that I might pick up today or tomm. Will holy me over till fallout.

i was crusin' along chapter 2, dominating these enemies for the most part until this motherfucker busted out of the glass window with his flying buddies and took me off guard. death scene animation where he cut my leg off :lol

ill fire it up again soon.... this time ill be ready with my flamethrower. it's the only way to be sure!

p.s. can EVERY developer please add the "where to go next" feature that EA has in this game (clicking right stick)?

i know purists will say "play the game yourself! find your way!" but not everyone has time to wander around for 30 mins trying to find out where the fuck to go. it has helped me out a bunch of times already and im only in chapter 2.

Shins

Banned
Started tonight and got through the first two chapters. Whoever recommended turning off the music was right on. Having nothing beyond the ambient noise of the ship and creatures adds a lot to the atmosphere, and also makes the surprising moments creep up on me more without the "hey something is about to happen!" crescendos.

Great game so far; feels extremely polished and thought out. Its not scary, but it gives me an excellent feeling of tenseness.

The game's economy and skill trees are hell on my uncommitted nature. Lots of options to weigh about what to spend where. :p

edit: and YES to the "where to next" line; I freaking love that. I'm always the person to explore every part of an area for goodies, and its always annoying, especially in games like this where a lot of the areas look similar to get all turned around. The little blue bread crumbs are a godsend.

HugBasket

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was crusin' along chapter 2, dominating these enemies for the most part until this motherfucker busted out of the glass window with his flying buddies and took me off guard. death scene animation where he cut my leg off :lol

ill fire it up again soon.... this time ill be ready with my flamethrower. it's the only way to be sure!
if you want some help stomp the bodies in the room

i had to do that area with 4 shots with the pistol. took out the big guys legs and then stasis stomped the shit out of him.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
Watching those animated comics after I beat the game is really cool. I'd recomend waiting till you do for anyone who hasn't watched them yet. A lot of the things in the first chapter were major reveals to me when I played the game itself. It's much more effective this way.

Just got to Chapter 2 - ZOMG KINESIS

Plus, has anyone else notice how eerily similar some of the musical score in this game is to the score from There Will Be Blood? If there's any movie score people should ape, it's that one.

Zeliard

FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. can EVERY developer please add the "where to go next" feature that EA has in this game (clicking right stick)?

i know purists will say "play the game yourself! find your way!" but not everyone has time to wander around for 30 mins trying to find out where the fuck to go. it has helped me out a bunch of times already and im only in chapter 2.

I actually use that feature to help me explore more, which is basically the opposite of its intention. I basically turn it on and go in every direction but the way it's pointing. I did the same thing in Bioshock with the quest arrow. I don't really use them to tell me where to go, but rather where not to go - yet. I'd never use it for a truly open-ended game, though, like Far Cry 2 for example.

HugBasket

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Just got to Chapter 2 - ZOMG KINESIS

Plus, has anyone else notice how eerily similar some of the musical score in this movie is to the score from There Will Be Blood? If there's any movie score people should ape, it's that one.
I would say The Dark Knight.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
I have to say, I believe I have done my service to EA in this thread.

EA :salute

After EA has pissed me off in the past (such as their exclusivity deal with the NFL - good for them, horrible for the consumers), they've really gone up in my eyes quite a bit this gen with amazing new IPs like skate and Dead Space, and potentially Mirror's Edge. More stuff like this, please, EA.

theBishop

Banned
I wish the game had more psychological horror. I find the constant knowledge that I about to be startled too tense to play for a long sitting. It has the opposite effect of immersion: instead of being sucked into the rich atmosphere, I'm consciously steeling myself for the moment when I hit the trigger point that spawns in the next wave of enemies.

Zeliard said:
I actually use that feature to help me explore more, which is basically the opposite of its intention. I basically turn it on and go in every direction but the way it's pointing. I did the same thing in Bioshock with the quest arrow. I don't really use them to tell me where to go, but rather where not to go - yet. I'd never use it for a truly open-ended game, though, like Far Cry 2 for example.

Same here. :lol

Where ever the beam pointed...I was off and moving the other direction.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oy, I just fell through an elevator floor into an oblivion of stars, doorways and bookshelves.

2nr3e9z.jpg

Chapter 10 FTL!

Just kidding, game still rocks

Kydd BlaZe

Ugh...i'm stuck on Chapter 7 where you have to plant the beacon on the asteroid. I can't fucking figure out how to get it done fast enough without getting obliterated by those moving mechanisms. Fuck!

Zeliard

Kydd BlaZe said:
Ugh...i'm stuck on Chapter 7 where you have to plant the beacon on the asteroid. I can't fucking figure out how to get it done fast enough without getting obliterated by those moving mechanisms. Fuck!

Time it so you do a zero-g jump as soon as the clamps are about to start moving again, and try landing on one of the "corners" of the asteroid and then running quickly towards the outside. Those clamps only cover the half of the asteroid that's on the inside, so the outside is safe (except for the lack of oxygen). To get back in, just find a spot on the ground inside that you can successfully aim at and jump to from the outside, and you should be able to just zero-g jump back inside without even touching the inside part of the asteroid.

Kydd BlaZe

Zeliard said:
Time it so you do a zero-g jump as soon as the clamps are about to start moving again, and try landing on one of the "corners" of the asteroid and then running quickly towards the outside. Those clamps only cover the half of the asteroid that's on the inside, so the outside is safe (except for the lack of oxygen). To get back in, just find a spot on the ground inside that you can successfully aim at and jump to from the outside, and you should be able to just zero-g jump back inside without even touching the inside part of the asteroid.
Hmmm...sounds complicated. Thanks though. Gona give a shot now.

SumGamer

Kydd BlaZe said:

You just have to move back far enough to see the whole asteroid. You have to place the beacon
behind the asteroid. So check the axis pattern and find a way behind it.

Specific how-to:
stand in front of the panel, look at the bottom left of the asteroid (fron the front of the panel), wait until the 2 axis stay in that lower-left section. Aim and get ready to launch yourself as soon as the axis starts to move and reveal you the opening to the other side of the asteroid.

Kydd BlaZe said:

I did a quick jump onto plant and jump off, but on my second go round, I just jumped onto it and ran on the side that is in space where the mechanisms don't swipe and planted it quite easily.

Top Bottom