• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Mindlog

Just finished chapter five.

I'm having too much fun with the game. I am purchasing all the suits when they are available and all of my money is mostly going into power nodes. Rig is almost done upgrading and my pistol (cutter?) has quite a few upgrades as well. When that's done I'll hit kinesis and stasis as necessary. Will be attempting a pistol only playthrough. I liked the combat a little better on hard now that I've gotten used to it. Too far into the game now to start over :D

That quote from PA is perfect.

"But the ground is cracked, the seeds are in the furrow, and I can't wait to come back and see what grows."

Yeah this definitely has a deep rooted System Shock vibe. I can't wait to get back to playing, but my console has been taken over :]

Dark Octave said:
Just let my cousin play the game today from the beginning.

The characters, a black guy, an Asian woman, and a white guy on the bridge of the starship.

My cousin sarcastically says "I wonder which one of these three is the main character".

:lol White guy proceeds to put on his helmet and stand up ready to be controlled by the player.

You had to be there I guess.

:lol :lol :lol

This game was amazing, one of the best I've ever played.

^
SHIT!

Lostconfused said:
Man the graphic novel or the animated videos of it are sooooo much better than the animated movie. Hell its probably better to skip the whole movie thing or at least not watch it after the game.
I watched the movie before I played the game, and I wasn't disappointed at all. The movie isn't exactly horrible, you know.

Zeliard

Those fast-moving motherfuckers were so awesome to fight.

One of my most memorable moments in Dead Space is when I was fighting in one of the zero-g sections against a bunch of creatures. At one point I look up, and one of the big, fast ones is on the opposite side of where I am (I'm on the ceiling, he's on the floor). I'm staring up at him while standing "on" the ceiling (which was trippy enough as it is) and he suddenly fucking LEAPS at me like something out of a horror flick, and he's flying literally right at my face, so I stasis him while he's in mid-air and launch a single line that takes out his head and left arm, and they go floating off into zero-g. It was seriously insane. That entire visual had to be seen to be truly appreciated.

So many moments like that in the game, where the gunplay, visuals, and level design all combine to form something truly amazing. I can safely say that Dead Space is the type of game that, last generation, I would've expected more games this gen to look and play like. A true next-gen game.

Alaskanbullworm said:
Actually,
you can see his face right at the beginning of the game, it might not be noticable at first, but you can move the camera around and have a look at good ol' Issac.
Yep. I did this when I started the game. Pretty neat.

RavenFox

Banned
Dark Octave said:

The characters, a black guy, an Asian woman, and a white guy on the bridge of the starship.

My cousin sarcastically says "I wonder which one of these three is the main character".

:lol White guy proceeds to put on his helmet and stand up ready to be controlled by the player.

She isn't Asian. Also there are two other white guys.

I'm going to pass on picking up my copy of Fable II at midnight. I need to beat this before I ever think about playing anything else.

I hope to God I don't die of a heart-attack. :lol

RavenFox

Banned
U K Narayan said:
I'm going to pass on picking up my copy of Fable II at midnight. I need to beat this before I ever think about playing anything else.

lol

U K Narayan said:

I was on the phone with my gf just now and I begged her not to go to sleep and get off the phone with me. I actually guilt tripped her into another 25mins on the phone because I told her about how bad she would feel tomorrow when she got "the call" that I had a heart attack in my apartment :lol

RavenFox said:
She isn't Asian. Also there are two other white guys.
Then what is she? Looks pretty Asian to me.

You can't see the other two guys until the main character puts on his helmet and stands up while they walk past.

Finished up to Ch.6 so far. Absolutely loving it. Ch.5 and Ch.6 were like whoa. Best so far. In fact it seems each chapter so far has been as good or better than the previous.

Dark Octave said:

Duh...it has to be that way. A video game where the main character dies in the first 30 minutes wouldn't work.

dk_

Big-E said:
How far are you in? I found that on hard, the game got a little easier as you go along because you start making money hand over fist so ammo becomes less of a problem.
You make more money on hard?

Is there any difference with which weapon you do your melee attack? Many of you suggested to use stasis & then beat the crap out of them and I would surely do this because there were some times when ammo was an issue on hard so far. But I only remember that I used the Plasma Cutter, which didn't have a massive effect on enemies (that means I need ~8 hits to kill a normal enemy).

Has anyone of you tips on how to melee enemies effectively on hard? Maybe with stomp?

Zzoram

OMG I need help in Chapter 7

So I meet Nicole, she's hacking some door for me, and she's under attack. I can't keep her alive. I have like, no ammo at all, and what I do have is mostly Flamethrower. I can't beat this, I've tried it a dozen times. What is the optimal way to win this fight?

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
OMG I need help in Chapter 7

So I meet Nicole, she's hacking some door for me, and she's under attack. I can't keep her alive. I have like, no ammo at all, and what I do have is mostly Flamethrower. I can't beat this, I've tried it a dozen times. What is the optimal way to win this fight?

All I did during that part was abuse stasis and the line gun. Stasis was by far the most important thing during that section.

No ammo, though? I dunno. Stasis and kinesis + explosives, maybe? Getting caught in situations like that without ammo is shitty.

Dark Octave said:

"A white guy, a black guy, and an asian woman walk into a spaceship and-Oh...my...god."

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
All I did during that part was abuse stasis and the line gun. Stasis was by far the most important thing during that section.

No ammo, though? I dunno. Stasis and kinesis + explosives, maybe? Getting caught in situations like that without ammo is shitty.

I back tracked a ton to get to a store, buy more ammo, dragged explosive canisters with me, and managed to just barely beat it with no ammo left.

Now I have almost no ammo, no money, and I hope I don't encounter a hard fight.

senahorse

Is the PC version somehow locked to 30fps?, that's all fraps is showing me. Also the pc controls really suck for this game, going to be using my 360 control.

edit: it's weird, if I turn vsync off it hovers around 60fps, turned on, it is locked to 30fps, even if I change res.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Props to the owner of my local game retailer who sold me this game a whooping TWO DAYS early. :D

Mid-way through chapter 2 at the moment. One word:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWZA

Another two:

Fuck. Yeah.

Zzoram

This game is a lot longer than people have been telling me. I'm at 9.5 hours and only in the beginning of Chapter 8. Unless the final chapters are shorter, I'm on track for a 15 hour first pass.

dk_

Zzoram said:
This game is a lot longer than people have been telling me. I'm at 9.5 hours and only in the beginning of Chapter 8. Unless the final chapters are shorter, I'm on track for a 15 hour first pass.
Yeah, I'm taking my time on hard, too. Can't waste any bullets... :-o

x3n05 said:
Is the PC version somehow locked to 30fps?, that's all fraps is showing me. Also the pc controls really suck for this game, going to be using my 360 control.

edit: it's weird, if I turn vsync off it hovers around 60fps, turned on, it is locked to 30fps, even if I change res.

Maybe they dont have triple buffering implemented in the game.

RPS37

Thanks for the help on the Chapter 6 boss. Contact beam worked wonders on it.
I did in fact have another safety save file that I'd made 10 minutes earlier.
I wasted all of my money buying a flamethrower so I could get the weapon achievement. :lol
I spent the money I'd gained from that on contact energy and killed it on the first try.

I'm at just over 9 hours and I just started on Chapter 9. It definitely has been about an hour a chapter. Medium seems like a perfect difficulty for me.
Shit has not gotten repetitive at all. I was actually kind of excited to hear I had to go back to the bridge the last time I had to. I like the way that big room looks...and I know my way around it.

Solid solid game.

Danielsan

It just arrived in the mail.
Super fast delivery from VGplus once again, I can't recommend them enough for European importers. Now I'll have to wait for my Sennheiser HD595 to arrive (I expect it to be deliverd today) and I'm all set for a day of horror. :D

Rainy Dog

Decided to pop a UK preorder in for this after the LBP delay. Thanks to all for the in depth impressions to date, really does sound like it could be this fall/autumns sleeper single-player hit.

Danielsan

Holy shit. hard actually does mean hard. I already died twice.
Game is amazing though. Looks great, sounds fantastic and plays great too.
I'm going to have a great time with this one. :D

Mohonky

Just got my copy today, loving it. I am curious to the locked doors though, there seem to be a fair few of them. Are there secret ways into these? Aside from the obvious 'retrieve key and come back later' doors theres definitely some that seem impassable. Are they just an alternative to the 'invisible barrier' or can these rooms actually be accessed?

I'm aware of doors which require nodes or a panel to be shut out but some I haven't found a solution for, so I'm thinking maybe they are just impossible?

PC version out today. wish i'd taken the day off work to go get it but i can't swing the time to do it. still, i'll post impressions later tonight for anyone interested. really looking forwards to joining this party :)

Holy shit this game kicks ass.

They got a new shipment in today so I went to pick it up after work. Loving the way the interface and HUD work, plus the combat is fun. I really dig how Stasis works.

I got an hour or so in before I had to make dinner. But it was tense as hell, the 5.1 has been freaking me out constantly.

Might play some more later tonight.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
PC version out today. wish i'd taken the day off work to go get it but i can't swing the time to do it. still, i'll post impressions later tonight for anyone interested. really looking forwards to joining this party :)
Be sure to comment on the performance and controller support of the PC version.

Danielsan

DubloSeven said:
I'll probably play this game with headphones.
I'm playing it with in-ear creative headphones. My sennheiser apparently won't arrive today. Still sounds amazing. All the little sound effects, the music and the sheer weight Isac carries across through the sound. So awesome.

It may have been said countless of times but the menus are fantastic. From now on I demand every sci-fi game to implement a similar menu system.

For the people who are new to the game like me: play it on hard.
It creates an extra layer of tension and requires a bit more strategy to deal with the enemies.

dark10x said:
will do. won't likely be until later on tonight, but i'll do it first. i've already played most of the first two chapters, so i don't mind testing stuff right out of the bat before i settle in to play it properly.

senahorse

Lostconfused said:
Maybe they dont have triple buffering implemented in the game.

That makes sense, I remember some older games locking to 30 when vsync was enabled and it was due to not being able to hold a consistent 60fps, whereas with triple buffering, in a lot of cases it fixed it and kind of gave a performance boost.

Technical whinge aside, what an awesome game. Being that I am playing it on my kuro with the 360 pad I keep expecting an achievement unlocked message to pop up. :lol

Cheech

Zzoram said:

Yeah, there is this subset of weirdos out there who insist on running through a game as fast as humanly possible. They're the same ones who bag on games like Oblivion and Fable because "the main quest can be beaten in 10 hours LOL".

Personally, I like taking my time with games. There's a lot of neat things in Dead Space, you can gulp it down and miss half of them, or treat it like a 4 course meal and see it all.

Although, it's damn tempting for me to rush through the rest of the game (I'm in the same spot you are). I'm picking up Fable today, and it's going to sit there taunting me.

senahorse

dark10x said:

Quick comments:

Looks great, probably just a little sharper than the PS3/360 (it really shows this was made for consoles), but it does not disappoint. Only issue I had, was mentioned above, whereby it locks to 30fps with vsync turned off, as mentioned, it's probably due to the lack of triple buffering as I am always between 55-60fps without it, but I hate tearing so 30fps it is :D.

Sound is incredible, very atmospheric. (running from my vid card to my receiver).

Controls...PC controls...Really really really suck, unplayable.

360 Gamepad, works a treat, plug and play. :D

As for the game itself, it's incredible, has made me jump a few times.

For reference, I am running it on the following hardware:

C2D 8500 @4.2Ghz
4GB DD2
4870 X2
Vista 64
res at 1920x1080

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I received my copy from Gamefly yesterday, played through Chapter 1, and just bought it from Gamefly this morning. As someone who loves great sound in games, Dead Space is an instant buy for me on that reason alone. Adding to that, the UI is remarkable, the atmosphere is incredible, and I love the RPG elements of building Isaac's suit. Certainly a GOTY contender in the area of production values, and the perfect game for Halloween. Again, game designers who take the time to get sound and atmosphere right and give multiplatform titles equal love are going to be the success stories of this generation. Bravo, EA Redwood Shores, BRAVO!

Ricker

Ok I'm stuck again with one of the "no gravity" area's(i hate those,i managed to do the one in chapter 7,but i'm not even sure how i did it),this one in chapter 8,where i have to fix the arrays...there's some blue boxes or whatever that i can TK and move but there's some red ones also that i can't seem to lift enough to move...what exactly do i have to do here??

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
x3n05 said:
Quick comments:

Looks great, probably just a little sharper than the PS3/360 (it really shows this was made for consoles), but it does not disappoint. Only issue I had, was mentioned above, whereby it locks to 30fps with vsync turned off, as mentioned, it's probably due to the lack of triple buffering as I am always between 55-60fps without it, but I hate tearing so 30fps it is :D.

Sound is incredible, very atmospheric. (running from my vid card to my receiver).

Controls...PC controls...Really really really suck, unplayable.

360 Gamepad, works a treat, plug and play. :D

As for the game itself, it's incredible, has made me jump a few times.

For reference, I am running it on the following hardware:

C2D 8500 @4.2Ghz
4GB DD2
4870 X2
Vista 64
res at 1920x1080
Hmm, interesting. With those specs, you should have no problem hitting 60 fps with v-sync which suggests to me that they are locking the framerate down at 30 fps. You could always try D3D Overrider to enable triple buffering for all games (though I have a feeling it won't solve this problem).

Perhaps there is an issue with your video card as well. Have you tried disabling Crossfire (can you do that with the X2?)? Try running in single GPU mode, if the option exists.

Mohonky

DenogginizerOS said:
I received my copy from Gamefly yesterday, played through Chapter 1, and just bought it from Gamefly this morning. As someone who loves great sound in games, Dead Space is an instant buy for me on that reason alone. Adding to that, the UI is remarkable, the atmosphere is incredible, and I love the RPG elements of building Isaac's suit. Certainly a GOTY contender in the area of production values, and the perfect game for Halloween. Again, game designers who take the time to get sound and atmosphere right and give multiplatform titles equal love are going to be the success stories of this generation. Bravo, EA Redwood Shores, BRAVO!

Indeed. After a few generations of being used to EA pumping out the crap and raking in the profit, it's great to see them pour some of that developer talent and funding into a game that is a truely remarkable piece of work.

A company like EA should really be able to afford to put out titles of this quality rather consistently and this gen I believe they are doing really good things, Dead Space being what I think maybe the best I have seen from them in a very long time, the game is absolutely superb and the presentation is incredibly slick. I love the HUD less view and the smooth transition to holygraphic map and inventory screens, it might only be a simple thing but it really ties in with the game and the atmosphere.

Danielsan said:
I'm playing it with in-ear creative headphones. My sennheiser apparently won't arrive today. Still sounds amazing. All the little sound effects, the music and the sheer weight Isac carries across through the sound. So awesome.

It may have been said countless of times but the menus are fantastic. From now on I demand every sci-fi game to implement a similar menu system.

For the people who are new to the game like me: play it on hard.
It creates an extra layer of tension and requires a bit more strategy to deal with the enemies.
Yeah, I'll be playing it with Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's, but unfortunately I have onboard sound. It should be OK though.

Zeliard

Mohonky said:
Just got my copy today, loving it. I am curious to the locked doors though, there seem to be a fair few of them. Are there secret ways into these? Aside from the obvious 'retrieve key and come back later' doors theres definitely some that seem impassable. Are they just an alternative to the 'invisible barrier' or can these rooms actually be accessed?

I'm aware of doors which require nodes or a panel to be shut out but some I haven't found a solution for, so I'm thinking maybe they are just impossible?

Doors, chests and lockers that are locked with the red light usually become open when you go back through that section again later on to do another objective.

This also relates to the backtracking complaints some have towards this game - I don't get them. You're on a single spaceship the entire game, so that alone will necessitate you going back and forth between it. Imagine if you went into a brand new area every time. There'd be no cohesiveness whatsoever - it'd be like you were simply going from level to level and would feel incredibly gamey. The fact that you end up going going back to previous areas, which also lets you become familiar with them, makes it feel much more like you're going through a spaceship (especially since there are some very recognizable parts like the medical bay, the bridge, etc). They also tend to do something different with areas you're revisiting, like change the lighting up, unlock different doors and introduce monsters where there weren't any there previously.

Up to the beginning of Chapter 2. Dead Space is really amazing. I don't normally like being led on fetch quests and missions to put Thing A into Slot B, Dead Space makes it not shit. In that way, it's like old-school Resident Evil - I'm hoping for a crank handle and some tiger statues to pop up later on. The combat is hella fun.

Playing it with the music off. The sound effects are great.

I'm also running v-sync on, and it's seems locked to 30fps. I can run DMC4 maxed out at a stable 60fps in 1680x1050 so it's not my rig. No slowdown so far.

Top Bottom