• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

It would have been awesome if this game got better as it went but sadly it didn't. I'm almost at the end and it feels like I've been doing the same shit over and over for the past 10 chapters.

It doesn't suck or anything, it's pretty fun, but I'm pretty disappointed with it. And it just isn't scary. Enemies that come running at you flailing their arms wildly isn't frightening. I dunno, maybe this just isn't my thing but I'm not finding a whole lot to like outside of the pretty graphics and blowing shit up.

Marconelly said:
Really? So you can't even change a suit even if you get a better one or something? I want to try my black suit, so I probably should backup the save file first. I generally want to play the game with the original suit as I find it very iconic, but it sucks that it's such a hassle to just inspect what the DLC one looks like.

That's what I wanted to do as well, luckily I just finished chapter 1 so I'll restart tonight.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
brandonh83 said:
It would have been awesome if this game got better as it went but sadly it didn't. I'm almost at the end and it feels like I've been doing the same shit over and over for the past 10 chapters.

It doesn't suck or anything, it's pretty fun, but I'm pretty disappointed with it. And it just isn't scary. Enemies that come running at you flailing their arms wildly isn't frightening. I dunno, maybe this just isn't my thing but I'm not finding a whole lot to like outside of the pretty graphics and blowing shit up.

Agreed. I stop playing after Chapter 7. Gonna trade it in for GOW2.

brandonh83 said:

Good luck ever being satisfied with anything ever.

I'm also going to need you to name a scarier game. Hint: Don't say Silent Hill.

Draft

gamerecks said:
I think the marker draws the necromorphs to it, but that plus the pedestal puts them into stasis. I think them using the marker for some experiment corrupted people. They mention that the original may be the key to immortality. Maybe trying to recreate the original didnt create an exact duplicate, and caused the "immortality" to happen, but in a totally corrupted way.
That actually sounds completely correct. Good job.

Marconelly said:
Seriously, the game is one of the best looking I've ever seen, both in art design and tech used. Lighting and post processing effects are really something, and perfectly tailored for the type of the atmosphere they needed to produce. Just a little thing, but in the sequence where Isaac opens that console for modding his equipment, when the camera pulls in and out next to him, you can't help but admire how awesome the texturing and detail work is on his suit and how DOF effect is used on him.
You know what amazes me the most? The fact that no space is wasted in this game, and that everything - from a visual standpoint, has an understandable purpose. You can actually say this for a lot of great games. 95% of the space used, if not all space, is used effectively - and keeps the player from questioning the environment.

(I'll give you an example of a game that doesn't follow this kind of design -- and don't go and tell me that the game manages to be great, somehow, because it is -- in fact, very average.) I hate to go back to it, but Mass Effect is a huge offender here. There's fuck-tons of space that simply isn't used and 95% of it is designed in a way that simply fails to immerse the player, or make sense. Those transport cars in the Citadel? Why are they placed in closed off locations? Those signs all over the Citadel and Noveria? Why do they all say the same thing? Why are they all over the place, and why are they placed in such obscure locations?

I applaud EA Redwood Shores for throwing immaculate and intelligent detail in this game. Dead Space is truly brilliant, and is most worthy of being called a true next-gen game.

Some good examples of properly utilized design, other than Dead Space, are Bioshock and Metal Gear Solid 4.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I beat this last night. One of the greatest games ever. Everything was amazing. The artistry applied to such typically generic environments was fresh and the gameplay was addicting and refined and very tense. The music and ambience is very well done and the graphics are amazing. The ending level was fantastic.

Who was that girl at the end that jumps out and kills me, cause that scared the shit out of me. Was it nicole?

newsguy

I played around 30-45 minutes last night. Just as a disclaimer, I have a 61" TV and a wicked Onkyo sound system. This game blew my mind. The level of polish in this game from the moment it begins is up there with the best AAA titles this generation. I was walking through a corridor and the light from the holographic "door unlocked" sign cast a light on the thin smoke in front of Isaac. Some huge piece of machinery dangles above you and casts realtime shadows which in turn make you think there's something near. The sound of a broken air lock door from a distance and then up close. All I can say is wow, I'm fully engulfed in this world that's been created.

Mango Positive said:
Good luck ever being satisfied with anything ever.

I'm satisfied with a lot of things actually.

And when it comes to "scary," people have wildly different opinions. I don't consider things jumping out at you to be scary, thus I don't think Dead Space is scary. And you need me to name a game scarier than Dead Space, but I'm not allowed to say Silent Hill? Sure. Easy.

Condemned.

Well that certainly makes sense...

It's a fun game to play in general. I just feel that it's mostly quite repetitive and there's not a lot of variety in the game. Does that make sense?

Zeliard

brandonh83 said:
It's a fun game to play in general. I just feel that it's mostly quite repetitive and there's not a lot of variety in the game. Does that make sense?

Not really, seeing as how there are 7 upgradeable weapons, all of which have very different functions and uses. Plus two powers, which can be combined with each other, items, enemies, and/or weapons. There are zero-g sections which, if you want, you can make play very differently from the normal areas by using the jumping to its fullest extent. There are also different strategies that work better with different enemies, and groups of enemies. It's up to you to vary it up, not the game, which gives you all of the tools you need.

This reminds me of people complaining about Crysis by saying they just went around shooting people like any regular shooter, and that made it boring. Well, duh. Do other things.

jaaz

I'll say one thing, there are certainly no "cut-and-paste" sections in this game (ala Halo 1). It feels as if every inch of the Ishimura is unique. Even when a section is patterned after another, like the various tram stations, the developers went the extra mile to make the tram station for, say,
Hydrophonics
look and feel different than the tram station for the
Medical Labs

And a perfect example of a fake build-up of music signaling an attack that faked me out: During the first or second chapter,
when the lights go out in the hallway and the music starts and you frantically try to use your crappy little flash-light to see the Necros coming... but none ever come and the lights go back on. Classic. :lol

brandonh83 said:

To you and a few others; I'm sure it makes sense.

So...riddle me this.

Tell me about a game that redefines it's gameplay experience so that it's more varied every level, or even every other level?

Better still. What is one of your favourite games that you feel has a more varied experience than Dead Space?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
newsguy said:
I played around 30-45 minutes last night. Just as a disclaimer, I have a 61" TV and a wicked Onkyo sound system. This game blew my mind. The level of polish in this game from the moment it begins is up there with the best AAA titles this generation
Oh yes, the sound design is so great as well. The sound you can hear during the crash landing sequence was just amazing - elsewhere as well too, but that one in particular stuck in my mind. It's only a bit of a shame that the game doesn't support dts like so many other EA games do, but I'm not complaining.

Raistlin

So ... any word on whether EA was hoping to make this a series?

The world that was fleshed out in the comics certainly warrants exploration ... and the fact the game could realistically be on ships or alien planets ... basically makes the environment and gameplay possibilities endless.

In my opinion, the only real upgrades the game could use are some better ways to move the story along in-game (mind you, I don't want a CG-fest), and a bit more gameplay diversity.

jaaz

To add to the current discussion, I find this game scary. Except that it's not the psychological scary of say a Silent Hill, but rather the scary of say, the original Halloween movie. That is, the what-you-don't-see-is-scarier-than-what-you-do-see type of scary. Also used effectively by Spielberg in Jaws (not by design apparently, but rather because the mechanical shark Bruce looked fake).

Onix said:

The world that was fleshed out in the comics certainly warrants exploration ... and the fact the game could realistically be on ships or alien planets ... basically makes the environment and gameplay possibilities endless.

In my opinion, the only real upgrades the game could use are some better ways to move the story along in-game (mind you, I don't want a CG-fest), and a bit more gameplay diversity.

Im hoping so. There may be multiple
markers
created, and i hope isaac comes back, with hallucinations from the first one. Have visions of monsters attacking out of nowhere but arent actually there would be a cool game effect.

newsguy

Marconelly said:
Oh yes, the sound design is so great as well. The sound you can hear during the crash landing sequence was just amazing

Yes it was. And at that point I realized my bass was way too high. I was convinced my neighbors were going to knock on my door.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some good examples of properly utilized design, other than Dead Space, are Bioshock and Metal Gear Solid 4.
While I DO completely agree with your idea, you have to consider how much more of an undertaking a larger game can be. The more content your game demands the less polished individual elements will be. It is for this reason that people forgive sandbox games for making mistakes that would otherwise doom a standard shooter. Mass Effect does have a lot of issues, but the experience was still great overall despite this.

I have to answer this as well. :p

I love Dead Space, but the type of horror it attempts does nothing for me. I don't find it the least bit scary (which is really disappointing).

Games besides Silent Hill that HAVE produced moments of fear would include the Thief series, System Shock 2, and Siren 2 all come to mind. I'd say the Zero/Fatal Frame series as well as parts of Vampire Bloodlines were actually pretty good in that regard as well. Unfortunately, this question has made me realize that games which scare me are rare indeed. I love the feeling those games provide. I should note that, of the Silent Hill games, only the first three managed to really scare me.

Zeliard

Onix said:

I'd love a sequel, but I'd also love to see something entirely different make use of this incredible engine. The more open areas in Dead Space were just as impressive as the corridors.

Azar

Zeliard said:
I'd love a sequel, but I'd also love to see something entirely different make use of this incredible engine. The more open areas in Dead Space were just as impressive as the corridors.
When I walked
out of the shuttle in the last chapter
, I went "whoa" and my friend went "too bad the whole game wasn't outside." :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's also a good time to put one fear at ease - if anyone was put off with the quality of writing, production and VOs in those animated comics they kept putting out, like I was, rest at ease knowing that the actual game is an order of magnitude above that. The game is top-notch in sound production all around.

It's definitely true that a lot of games follow the same patterns. But with Dead Space, I just don't really feel anything from it. Sure it has upgradable weapons, sure the graphics are amazing and the sound work is phenomenal. But for me it's just not working out. I can't explain it beyond that. I don't think it's scary, there have barely been any boss fights (though one of them was awesome and I hear the last is pretty great), I don't care about the story or characters, and just most of the game has felt... empty.

Its style just isn't my cup of tea. It's not a bad game, I'd never say it sucks, it's just not living up to all the GOTY labels people are tossing at it IMO.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Another thing I was thinking about when I was playing the game - it reminded me of an old EA game for C64 called Project Firestart.

That game must have served as a bit of an inspiration for this game - for some scenes at least

pf3.gif

project_firestart_08.gif

25392.png

It has been a great game for it's time, and nothing really up to this game has created that kind of spaceship horror atmosphere.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Its style just isn't my cup of tea. It's not a bad game, I'd never say it sucks, it's just not living up to all the GOTY labels people are tossing at it IMO.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm enjoying the game, but it isn't really leaving a serious impression on me. It's really difficult to explain why as the game SEEMS great, but there's just something about it that isn't clicking for me. Again, I think they've done an excellent job, but there were some choices made that disappoint me.

Having played further, my original complaints still stand strong. The game world would feel so much more convincing if you actually felt as if enemies were present around you rather than scripted to appear at certain points. The "Doom 3 effect" really prevents the atmosphere from ever reaching its potential.

In the end, however, it's still a very enjoyable shooter with some fantastic sequences. It's one of the better games I've played this year, that's for certain.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Dark10x, Procedural game design has its ups and downs too. (See also, Far Cry 2 animal running head first into a parked car and dying or any encounter in STALKER).

I don't mind scripted shit as long as the illusion holds up. I know what you mean about Dead Space, however. It doesn't really hold up.

I played on Hard for about a half hour last night before I went home and got to my first real set of encounters in the very beginning (had to get some motherboard for the tram but first to do that I had to get a key -- really? A key fetch quest so I can complete a key fetch quest?).

First of all, Hard mode just isn't for me I guess. Way too frustrating. Takes 3 perfect shots to remove a limb and I have fuck all for ammo so I end up trying to freeze literally like 8 aliens and run by them. Secondly, and this gets to my point, the scripting here dictates that I know the timing of when aliens pop out of their closets (or air ducts, what have you) and the whole routine, especially when you die over and over again trying to get the key so you can get another key, becomes quite rote.

Not saying I'm not going to play through Dead Space at some point, but it'll have to wait until I'm done with Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Fable 2, GoW2, Warhead, Witcher, and Clear Sky. And yes, weaksauce blah blah blah, I'll play on medium as to avoid tedium.

x3n05 said:
Quick comments:

Looks great, probably just a little sharper than the PS3/360 (it really shows this was made for consoles), but it does not disappoint. Only issue I had, was mentioned above, whereby it locks to 30fps with vsync turned off, as mentioned, it's probably due to the lack of triple buffering as I am always between 55-60fps without it, but I hate tearing so 30fps it is :D.

Sound is incredible, very atmospheric. (running from my vid card to my receiver).

Controls...PC controls...Really really really suck, unplayable.

360 Gamepad, works a treat, plug and play. :D

As for the game itself, it's incredible, has made me jump a few times.

For reference, I am running it on the following hardware:

C2D 8500 @4.2Ghz
4GB DD2
4870 X2
Vista 64
res at 1920x1080

Thoughts on the PC version:

I'm running it anywhere between 80 - 110 FPS with Vsync disabled and all settings maxed. Tearing is virtually nonexistent for me but rather noticeable in the opening scene. However, it's minor and it didn't really bother me at all.

Something I did notice however about the controls: Having Vsync enabled slows the cursor down to the point of it being unplayable. Disabling it speeds it up significantly and I can't see a problem with it. I did turn up the mouse sensitivity all the way up, so take that into consideration. Overall, with those two settings, I feel like there aren't any problems with the controls.

C2D 8400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB DDR2
HD4870
Vista X64
1920 * 1200

brandonh83 said:
It's definitely true that a lot of games follow the same patterns. But with Dead Space, I just don't really feel anything from it. Sure it has upgradable weapons, sure the graphics are amazing and the sound work is phenomenal. But for me it's just not working out. I can't explain it beyond that. I don't think it's scary, there have barely been any boss fights (though one of them was awesome and I hear the last is pretty great), I don't care about the story or characters, and just most of the game has felt... empty.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Game of the Year? Jesus...if it is, it means ALOT of prospects that have yet to come out; shit the bed...badly.

I'm really loving Dead Space but I just don't know if it can be a game of the year prospect when there are SO many title that still need to release. With that said...I don't really care about GOTY. Dead Space was worth the $60. I haven't felt that free from buyer's remorse in quite some time.

Zzoram

unpurposed said:
Thoughts on the PC version:

I'm running it anywhere between 80 - 110 FPS with Vsync disabled and all settings maxed. Tearing is virtually nonexistent for me but rather noticeable in the opening scene. However, it's minor and it didn't really bother me at all.

Something I did notice however about the controls: Having Vsync enabled slows the cursor down to the point of it being unplayable. Disabling it speeds it up significantly and I can't see a problem with it. I did turn up the mouse sensitivity all the way up, so take that into consideration. Overall, with those two settings, I feel like there aren't any problems with the controls.

C2D 8400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB DDR2
HD4870
Vista X64

1920 * 1200

I have the bolded, but 1680x1050 native LCD. 80-110fps sounds incredible. It's a good reminder of how powerful modern video cards are in any game that doesn't have Crysis in the title :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Zzoram said:
I have the bolded, but 1680x1050 native LCD. 80-110fps sounds incredible. It's a good reminder of how powerful modern video cards are in any game that doesn't have Crysis in the title :lol

Amen, but I love Crysis. :(

It's like a GPU torture test.

RavenFox

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
To you and a few others; I'm sure it makes sense.

So...riddle me this.

Tell me about a game that redefines it's gameplay experience so that it's more varied every level, or even every other level?

Better still. What is one of your favourite games that you feel has a more varied experience than Dead Space?

I would like to see the answer to this to.

Zeliard

dark10x said:
I know exactly what you mean. I'm enjoying the game, but it isn't really leaving a serious impression on me. It's really difficult to explain why as the game SEEMS great, but there's just something about it that isn't clicking for me. Again, I think they've done an excellent job, but there were some choices made that disappoint me.

Having played further, my original complaints still stand strong. The game world would feel so much more convincing if you actually felt as if enemies were present around you rather than scripted to appear at certain points. The "Doom 3 effect" really prevents the atmosphere from ever reaching its potential.

In the end, however, it's still a very enjoyable shooter with some fantastic sequences. It's one of the better games I've played this year, that's for certain.

My only real issues with the game lie with the general storyline and the characterizations. They weren't bad - they just weren't very memorable at all to me. I could barely tell you any details about the plot, because I didn't really find myself caring. But in a game like this, that's sort of beside the point, and I do know some others here enjoyed the story.

The gameplay, though, is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I've played a single shooter, other than F.E.A.R., with as responsive and visceral gunplay as Dead Space. The tactile feedback you get is unbelievable. Every single fight is terrific, especially those in zero-g and more wide open areas, and there are some very different strategies you can undertake to destroy enemies. I don't see how anybody could have beef with the gameplay. Too repetitive? Yes, maybe in that you're most of the time shooting some sort of gun, which also describes 99.9% of every shooter ever.

Zeliard said:
Too repetitive? Yes, maybe in that you're most of the time shooting some sort of gun, which also describes 99.9% of every shooter ever.

Bioshock...Portal...Metal Gear Solid...Battle Arena Tohshinden...Psychonauts...Karateka...Trojan...Assassin's Creed...Call of Duty 4...Mario Galaxy...

...repetitive.

Aeon712

Just beat chapter 1 and gotta say I'm really enjoying it. Bought the pulse rifle at the end of the level cause I wanted a real gun. Hope it was the right decision. The music does a great job of getting my heart pumped.

Danielsan

Aeon712 said:
Just beat chapter 1 and gotta say I'm really enjoying it. Bought the pulse rifle at the end of the level cause I wanted a real gun. Hope it was the right decision. The music does a great job of getting my heart pumped.
I personally didn't care for it too much, lacks accuracy. I buy every weapon though. I replaced the pulse rifle when a fifth weapon was available.

Beat chapter 3. Game is awesome but hard is well, a bit hard. :lol
Really have to conserve ammo at some points.

RavenFox

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Just make sure you power it up if you like it. Later on you'll appreciate that you did.

Chrange

Banned
OK, I've played through about four or five hours of the game and I think I'm done with it until the pile of GREAT games I have to play is done with. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm finding it repetitive as hell and I absolutely hate the way he controls. Well not entirely - just turning.

I'd ask 'Why would they make turning a chore when they spawn creatures behind you ALL. THE. TIME?' but I think I answered my own question right there. No quick turn, in a game that consistently spawns enemies in behind you...I thought we were done with that crap.

The game looks great and I like the way they have everything you need displayed without a HUD, but the gameplay itself is just a turnoff for me. It doesn't help that the game, one that EA billed as "scary" in their promo stuff, isn't scary at all once you've seen the two or three 'freakout moments' that they repeat continually.

Zzoram

Anyone beat the shooting rangE? I can only get to lvl 5 with the line gun, it shoots too slowly and the wide beam is bad for the range.

Big-E

Zzoram said:
Anyone beat the shooting rangE? I can only get to lvl 5 with the line gun, it shoots too slowly and the wide beam is bad for the range.

Why aren't you using the cutter? The shooting range in this game is like the easiest one of all time. Not hard at all.

Zzoram

Big-E said:
Why aren't you using the cutter? The shooting range in this game is like the easiest one of all time. Not hard at all.

I only have the Line Gun on me :lol

So I came to a room in Chapter 9 with
A robot shooting red lasers all over like crazy. What do I do to not die?

Big-E

Zzoram said:
I only have the Line Gun on me :lol

So I came to a room in Chapter 9 with
A robot shooting red lasers all over like crazy. What do I do to not die?

Cutter needs to be on you at all times. For the part in spoilers, use stasis.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
U K Narayan said:
You know what amazes me the most? The fact that no space is wasted in this game, and that everything - from a visual standpoint, has an understandable purpose. You can actually say this for a lot of great games. 95% of the space used, if not all space, is used effectively - and keeps the player from questioning the environment.

(I'll give you an example of a game that doesn't follow this kind of design -- and don't go and tell me that the game manages to be great, somehow, because it is -- in fact, very average.) I hate to go back to it, but Mass Effect is a huge offender here. There's fuck-tons of space that simply isn't used and 95% of it is designed in a way that simply fails to immerse the player, or make sense. Those transport cars in the Citadel? Why are they placed in closed off locations? Those signs all over the Citadel and Noveria? Why do they all say the same thing? Why are they all over the place, and why are they placed in such obscure locations?

I applaud EA Redwood Shores for throwing immaculate and intelligent detail in this game. Dead Space is truly brilliant, and is most worthy of being called a true next-gen game.

Nice to see a gamer actually recognize this. Most don't realize this, even gamer designers/creative directors.

Ruprit

Just finished the game. I have a hard time believing that any other game released this holiday will be as polished as this. The last section cinemas and boss was just jaw dropping. I even liked the ending :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zzoram said:

I cleared it easily with the plasma cutter.

Top Bottom