• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Mohonky

Just so I know for future reference (ok, maybe a lil achievement points whoring too) can you carry over your inventory or upgrades to higher difficulty levels? I don't see myself being able to upgrade everything with when so many node slots are available and I'm finding so few :(

diss

Banned
it broke street date in australia 2 days early
2 hours into it. it's such a rad game and ridiculously polished
so far i'm not finding it scary at all and i'm normally easily freaked out by scary games
a really really really really minor point: the ps3 version does not have the in-game hologram save screen thing that's on the 360. instead it goes to a default black playstation save screen. i wonder whats up with that?

Mohonky

diss said:
it broke street date in australia 2 days early
2 hours into it. it's such a rad game and ridiculously polished.
a really really really really minor point: the ps3 version does not have the in-game hologram save screen thing that's on the 360. instead it goes to a default black playstation save screen. i wonder whats up with that?

It wasn't street dated at all.

senahorse

dark10x said:
Hmm, interesting. With those specs, you should have no problem hitting 60 fps with v-sync which suggests to me that they are locking the framerate down at 30 fps. You could always try D3D Overrider to enable triple buffering for all games (though I have a feeling it won't solve this problem).

Perhaps there is an issue with your video card as well. Have you tried disabling Crossfire (can you do that with the X2?)? Try running in single GPU mode, if the option exists.

Well I was just in a spot where I was getting around 65-70fps without vsync, however turning on vsync dropped it to 30, I get a higher fps on warhead with everything maxxed :lol

As for running in single GPU mode, I turned on window mode which I believe forces crossfire to be turned off (I may be wrong about that) and there was no difference in the framerate. It's no big deal, just interesting.

edit: just for kicks I turned everything to low and put the res to 800x600, still the same, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the PC gamers go.

diss

Banned
Mohonky said:
It wasn't street dated at all.
technically it was supposed to come out on thursday here. that's according to wikipedia and a JB hi-fi and an EB employee i asked today. then i walked up the road to another game store who had all versions including pc up for sale

Mohonky

diss said:
technically it was supposed to come out on thursday here. that's according to wikipedia and a JB hi-fi and an EB employee i asked today. then i walked up the road to another game store who had all versions including pc up for sale

Release date here in Aus was the 24th, however the game itself wasn't actually street dated, few are. Release dates are more of a guide, you'll often find more often than not a store will get them in advance by 1 or 2 days and put them out. That is usually the case, the release date is the date everyone should have the copy by.

However some games are street dated meaning if the game arrives early it can't be displayed or sold till that date. Usually big titles are street dated but some publishers aren't too concerned so they don't street date their titles. It's usually only major 1st or 2nd party games, or highly anticipated titles that are street dated. ie. This week both Far Cry 2 and Fable 2 are street dated for the 24th. However as the 14yr olds at K-Mart haven't got a clue, they were selling Fable as soon as it came in, hence today it became a free for all with the game going on sale / shelves. You'll find most stores have their stock of Far Cry 2 come in today as well, however they are street dated and won't be available to purchase till the 24th.

Dead Space never had a street date, only a relase date and being that the game came in before the 24th, it can go on shelves whenever it arrives.

Could someone explain this to me about the ending...

So, the alien life-form was a botched experiment from the governement and the Marker is not extra-terrestrial but man-made? Why does it induce these hallucinations then?

Help.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
x3n05 said:
Well I was just in a spot where I was getting around 65-70fps without vsync, however turning on vsync dropped it to 30, I get a higher fps on warhead with everything maxxed :lol

As for running in single GPU mode, I turned on window mode which I believe forces crossfire to be turned off (I may be wrong about that) and there was no difference in the framerate. It's no big deal, just interesting.

edit: just for kicks I turned everything to low and put the res to 800x600, still the same, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the PC gamers go.
So, basically, it was just as I confirmed. The game is locked at 30 fps with vertical sync. I'm sure this was intentional.

I suppose this isn't so bad as it will allow a constant framerate at all times, but on the flipside, many PCs today are more than capable of running this game at 60 fps. They should have had a toggle. Disabling v-sync just isn't an option as it ruins the image quality.

Dyno

Chapter 7 is where I stopped last night. Too much beer to make sense of a room.

The room with the big round asteroid and that engine-thing. You have to put the transmitter on the asteroid. Are you supposed to jump up to the asteroid and place the transmitter on it? I tried but got killed by those arms. What are you supposed to slow down? I left the game not sure how to do it.

Anyways, just a rock-solid game all the way round.

Dyno said:
Chapter 7 is where I stopped last night. Too much beer to make sense of a room.

The room with the big round asteroid and that engine-thing. You have to put the transmitter on the asteroid. Are you supposed to jump up to the asteroid and place the transmitter on it? I tried but got killed by those arms. What are you supposed to slow down? I left the game not sure how to do it.

Anyways, just a rock-solid game all the way round.

When the smaller arm is at the top, zero g jump onto it and run to the other side that looks like it is hanging in space. You'll end up in space and can freely put the beacon on with no arms to bother you.

SketchTheArtist said:
Could someone explain this to me about the ending...

So, the alien life-form was a botched experiment from the governement and the Marker is not extra-terrestrial but man-made? Why does it induce these hallucinations then?

Help.

From wikipedia:
The marker, or The Red Marker, as its referred to in the game, is revealed to be a man-made copy of an actual alien artifact, a similar Black Marker, that was discovered by the figurehead of Unitology, Michael Altman. While it is unclear what the exact nature of the artifact is, it produces an effect that neutralizes Necromorphs, by projecting a "dead space," around it which halts all tissue necrosis. It is purportedly engraved with the secrets of eternal life, as well as a DNA sample of an alien race. After the Red Marker was deemed unstable, it was isolated on the planet before being discovered by an illegal mining operation, and freed by the Ishimura.

Zeliard

gamerecks said:
When the smaller arm is at the top, zero g jump onto it and run to the other side that looks like it is hanging in space. You'll end up in space and can freely put the beacon on with no arms to bother you.

Also, make sure you don't forget to
shoot the generators while you're out there.

diss

Banned
Mohonky said:
Release date here in Aus was the 24th, however the game itself wasn't actually street dated, few are. Release dates are more of a guide, you'll often find more often than not a store will get them in advance by 1 or 2 days and put them out. That is usually the case, the release date is the date everyone should have the copy by.

However some games are street dated meaning if the game arrives early it can't be displayed or sold till that date. Usually big titles are street dated but some publishers aren't too concerned so they don't street date their titles. It's usually only major 1st or 2nd party games, or highly anticipated titles that are street dated. ie. This week both Far Cry 2 and Fable 2 are street dated for the 24th. However as the 14yr olds at K-Mart haven't got a clue, they were selling Fable as soon as it came in, hence today it became a free for all with the game going on sale / shelves. You'll find most stores have their stock of Far Cry 2 come in today as well, however they are street dated and won't be available to purchase till the 24th.

Dead Space never had a street date, only a relase date and being that the game came in before the 24th, it can go on shelves whenever it arrives.
hah, well there you go

Draft

So storyline question:

Alright, so the Red Marker is a man made copy of the original Black Marker. The Red Marker makes people go crazy, so the government buried it on a barren rock in the middle of space (rather than just blowing it up... eh whatever.)

So, the Red Marker also prevents Necromorphs from infecting corpses and creating monsters. So, where do Necromorphs come from? Does the Marker also create Necromorphs? Were they already on the planet when the Marker was buried there, and this whole thing is a big coincidence?

I dunno, Wiki story summary seems wrong.

Dyno

gamerecks said:

Thanks! I was too out of it last night to come up with anything so complex.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, played the game last night finally (lost of work was keeping me too tired, so I didn't want to start a game like this until I was in a good mood)

The atmopshere in the game is just SO damn great, it's amazing. It's literally like being in a good SciFi movie, that's how good everything looks, sounds - and more importantly is designed visually. There's this sense of that cold flood-fill light everywhere, and I can't think of a game that pulled off lighting that looks quite like this. The lighting alone makes everything look beautiful and scary at the same - just the way space itself is, cold, distant and overwhelming, they really brought home that feeling big time.

As far as the actual gameplay, I'm very impressed as well so far. There are some really good scare moments along the way, shooting is very solid, monsters die in satisfying and gruesome ways. There's not much AI to speak off, that's my only worry that the enemy encounters could become repetitive and won't require any strategy to deal with - just precision shooting. But I don't worry about it much, for now it's all working like a well oiled mechanism, and I'm soaking the rich atmosphere in. I'm still close to the beginning, only activated the tram, but I have a few early story questions that kinda bug me:

From the very beginning, there's a struggle between Kendra and the guy who seems to be captain in charge.

- What are their roles on the rescue ship. Is he really a captain? If so, what gives Kendra right to question his judgment so much?

- Am I right in understanding the dialogue, that captain wants to *stay* on Ishimura and fix it? On a completely abandoned ship crawling with monsters? Shouldn't that immediately send a signal to the rest of the crew that captain is either crazy or has some selfish undisclosed plans that are sure to get everyone killed? I mean when the similar thing happened in Alien, the guy from that megacorporation was at least pretending until the very end that he didn't want to keep the monster alive. Or maybe I just misunderstood the whole thing and captain just has a different escape route in mind than what Kendra thought would be the best way out?

- Why is my character equipped with a space mining suit? Yes, the suit looks awesome, but he's part of the distress call mission sent to repair something, so why send a miner among such a crew?

Marconelly said:
- Why is my character equipped with a space mining suit? Yes, the suit looks awesome, but he's part of the distress call mission sent to repair something, so why send a miner among such a crew?

You have to figure you want to cover all your bases so send out a person of each specialization. Of course, the whole context of sending out 4-5 people to fix a communications problem that somehow a colony of over a thousand people can't fix on their own is laughable. Isaac must be damn good at what he does.

Marconelly said:

I'm not hacking on you...at all. I'm just...why...why is this such a common question? How is it so complicated?

He's not a miner. He's part of a repair team which means he's a "repair guy" which being a "repair guy" on an intergalactic repair team might involve the aforementioned "repair guy" being an engineer?

He has the suit and the tools necessary to be able to move large, awkward shit around and protect him from human-unfriendly environments.

Where did it say he was a miner?

Zzoram

I figured out a super easy way to beat the boss from Chapter 6

You can use Kinesis to grab the rocks he spits, and then just throw it straight back into his mouth :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Valkyr Junkie said:
You have to figure you want to cover all your bases so send out a person of each specialization. Of course, the whole context of sending out 4-5 people to fix a communications problem that somehow a colony of over a thousand people can't fix on their own is laughable. Isaac must be damn good at what he does.
Yeah, I guess presumably the communication breakdown was long enough to warrant an investigative response, but not yet a full-on military response.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm not hacking on you...at all. I'm just...why...why is this such a common question? How is it so complicated?

He's not a miner. He's part of a repair team which means he's a "repair guy" which being a "repair guy" on an intergalactic repair team might involve the aforementioned "repair guy" being an engineer?

He has the suit and the tools necessary to be able to move large, awkward shit around and protect him from human-unfriendly environments.

To be honest, I may have made that up, although I think the art book describes his suit as mining suit. But I guess it can be said it's some kind of general purpose engineering space suit. I'm actually more curious about my second question - did captain really say he wanted to stay there and do repairs, or did I imagined hearing that?

Doodis

Draft said:
So storyline question:

Alright, so the Red Marker is a man made copy of the original Black Marker. The Red Marker makes people go crazy, so the government buried it on a barren rock in the middle of space (rather than just blowing it up... eh whatever.)

So, the Red Marker also prevents Necromorphs from infecting corpses and creating monsters. So, where do Necromorphs come from? Does the Marker also create Necromorphs? Were they already on the planet when the Marker was buried there, and this whole thing is a big coincidence?

I dunno, Wiki story summary seems wrong.

Good questions.
Also, if the marker is supposed to prevent necromorphs from infecting corpses, why the hell were the necromorphs rampant while the marker was on the ship?

Doodis said:
Good questions.
Also, if the marker is supposed to prevent necromorphs from infecting corpses, why the hell were the necromorphs rampant while the marker was on the ship?

I think...I think the man-made marker keeps the "big chompy worm" in check. The Hive Mind. The Hive Mind drives the behaviour of the necromorphs. when the marker is returned to the planet, it subdues the Hive Mind and in turn subdues the necros...I think.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Anyone got it for PC? I hear the controls suck. Can you explain? I can get any version but I was waiting for PC, but now I'm nervous. Which is the best version?

Marconelly said:
To be honest, I may have made that up, although I think the art book describes his suit as mining suit. But I guess it can be said it's some kind of general purpose engineering space suit. I'm actually more curious about my second question - did captain really say he wanted to stay there and do repairs, or did I imagined hearing that?

Not sure. I'd need to listen to the logs again and I'm at work.

Do you mean the captain of the Ishimura? the captain of the Valor? Or Hammond; the guy leading the repair team.

bigdaddygamebot said:

His weapons are mostly mining tools, and that's because he picked them up on a mining ship.

Doodis said:
Good questions.

I think the marker draws the necromorphs to it, but that plus the pedestal puts them into stasis. I think them using the marker for some experiment corrupted people. They mention that the original may be the key to immortality. Maybe trying to recreate the original didnt create an exact duplicate, and caused the "immortality" to happen, but in a totally corrupted way.

StrikerObi said:
His weapons are mostly mining tools, and that's because he picked them up on a mining ship.

Alright, but that doesn't make him a "miner"

The plasma cutter might be for mining. It might also be kindof a futuristic cutting torch as well which would lean more to a welding sort of thing. Or it might just be their handy dandy "get shit done" tool.

The miners down on the planet have plasma cutters too and they definitely don't have a suit like Isaac's.

When I speak about his "tools" I was just speaking to the Stasis field and the "Lift" power (or whatever it's called).

He's not a miner. He's on a repair team that heads out to fix spaceships. That kindof steps well outside the job description of "miner".

N30RYU

Marconelly said:
Why is my character equipped with a space mining suit? Yes, the suit looks awesome, but he's part of the distress call mission sent to repair something, so why send a miner among such a crew?

If you send a crew to repair a ship, the most sure is that the ship is exterior damaged so you need someone with a special suit to fix the outside... Or you wanna a guy to walk trough the exterior of the ship without a suit...

goMaki

I don't know if it's been posted in this thread yet ( do I have time to read all these posts? no :lol ), but if you take the first letter of each chapter in the game, it spells something interesting. Of course, don't look it up until you've completed the game. :p I thought it was pretty sweet. Sorry if old.

*Roxy*

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
One word

WOW

Also I love the look and feel of the bridge. I could stand in that room for a long time

Beat it last night. The graphics in this game are easily the best of this generation, that last boss fight? Yeah, that looks insane. It looks better than the final fight in Metal Gear Solid 4. Insane, just insane!

The ending was pretty expected. I hope
Isaac doesn't bite it, because I'd like to see him in the sequel.

Also: this is definitely a solid contender for Game of The Year.

goMaki said:
I don't know if it's been posted in this thread yet ( do I have time to read all these posts? no :lol ), but if you take the first letter of each chapter in the game, it spells something interesting. Of course, don't look it up until you've completed the game. :p I thought it was pretty sweet. Sorry if old.

*Roxy*

Hahahaha, that's awesome.

goMaki said:

*Roxy*

wicked.

Little things like this really show how much love they put into the game.

Here's something.
Has anyone translated the "alien code" that's flashed on the screen at the end of the game? I can't remember if it pops up before or after it tells you what you've unlocked...

BeeDog

goMaki said:

*Roxy*

Could you spoil what it says?

Doodis

bigdaddygamebot said:
I think...I think the man-made marker keeps the "big chompy worm" in check. The Hive Mind. The Hive Mind drives the behaviour of the necromorphs. when the marker is returned to the planet, it subdues the Hive Mind and in turn subdues the necros...I think.
Ah, yes. That does make sense.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bigdaddygamebot said:
Not sure. I'd need to listen to the logs again and I'm at work.

Do you mean the captain of the Ishimura? the captain of the Valor? Or Hammond; the guy leading the repair team.
I think I'm talking about Hammond - the guy who was arguing with Kendra over what they should do with the repair ship when things started going wrong during the initial docking sequence.

U K Narayan said:
Beat it last night. The graphics in this game are easily the best of this generation, that last boss fight? Yeah, that looks insane.
Seriously, the game is one of the best looking I've ever seen, both in art design and tech used. Lighting and post processing effects are really something, and perfectly tailored for the type of the atmosphere they needed to produce. Just a little thing, but in the sequence where Isaac opens that console for modding his equipment, when the camera pulls in and out next to him, you can't help but admire how awesome the texturing and detail work is on his suit and how DOF effect is used on him.

goMaki

Nicole is dead

I don't have every chapter name ( at work ), but this helps to see it's true:

New Arrivals
Intensive Care
Course Correction
Obliteration Imminent
Lethal Devotion
Environmental Hazard
Into the Void
Search and Rescue
Dead on Arrival

Dead Space

That's some nicely hidden stuff. I love games like this. If only I knew how to read the language now. I wanna see what's written all around the ships.

*Roxy*

goMaki said:
That's some nicely hidden stuff. I love games like this. If only I knew how to read the language now. I wanna see what's written all around the ships.

*Roxy*

There's definitely some translation keys floating around the net. I actually saw one scrawled onto a wall on the Ishimura but it was later and I just wanted to soldier on with the game.

digital

Banned
I'm only up to chapter three at the moment and it's a pretty good game so far. There are a few things that irk me though:
  • Items moved with the kinesis module randomly disappear as I move them through corridors and into other rooms. When you first obtain the kinesis module I tried keeping the big yellow container close to me with kinesis only to have it disappear when I carry it further down the corridor. It's even more bizarre since I can still interact with it somewhat even though it "disappeared".
  • The music building up to the encounter of necromorphs ever so slightly annoys me. I would have preferred it if there was just some "shocking" tune that plays once necromorphs randomly appear out of no where.
  • Issac's melee attack animation when close to a wall or object is awkward. His model starts swinging at the wall or inanimate object which awkwardly pushes his model away from whatever inanimate objects are close to him. This complaint is just me nitpicking, but It would have been nice and felt more "complete" if they could have implemented another animation that wouldn't make his swinging at close inanimate objects look awkward.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
digital said:
I'm only up to chapter three at the moment and it's a pretty good game so far. There are a few things that irk me though:
  • The music building up to the encounter of necromorphs ever so slightly annoys me. I would have preferred it if there was just some "shocking" tune that plays once necromorphs randomly appear out of no where.
I've read this complaint before, but already early in the game, there's quite a few moments where the monsters simply sneaked up on me - there were no audio cues or anything like that. And I really got a solid few scares out of it already.

At the end of the first chapter I switched to the Elite suit to see what it looked like but I can't figure out how to switch back. I remember people saying it made it harder so I'd like to switch back am I just missing something? Or should I just keep playing with the elite suit?

Zzoram

VenusandBacchus said:
At the end of the first chapter I switched to the Elite suit to see what it looked like but I can't figure out how to switch back. I remember people saying it made it harder so I'd like to switch back am I just missing something? Or should I just keep playing with the elite suit?

At the moment, putting on a DLC suit for either version makes you stuck with it. Deleting the DLC from your HDD will corrupt your save. Ya, it's stupid.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
At the moment, putting on a DLC suit for either version makes you stuck with it. Deleting the DLC from your HDD will corrupt your save. Ya, it's stupid.

Someone else earlier in the thread said that after you delete the DLC and your save is screwed, if you simply re-download/reinstall the DLC, your save works again and you're back to the default suit.

Has anyone verified that?

VenusandBacchus said:
So either I start a new game or play the whole game with it?

Ding!

Go with the normal suit. It's fun to upgrade and has a grittier look.

Also...the dlc suits are good to start but are actually a hindrance in the end game because you can't upgrade them through the store.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zzoram said:
Really? So you can't even change a suit even if you get a better one or something? I want to try my black suit, so I probably should backup the save file first. I generally want to play the game with the original suit as I find it very iconic, but it sucks that it's such a hassle to just inspect what the DLC one looks like.

Top Bottom