• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

TP

Zzoram said:
Anyone beat the shooting rangE? I can only get to lvl 5 with the line gun, it shoots too slowly and the wide beam is bad for the range.

I used the Plasma Rifle, really easy
use alt fire to rotate if that's all you have

Danielsan

Ooh man I just got to the deck (I think that's what it's called). Jaw dropping moment right there.

This game is definitely up there with the big boys in terms of visuals. It probably has some of the best lighting and visuals effects of this gen. The sheer amount of polish and little details per room is astounding.

I see some people are calling the game repetitive. That pretty much goes for any game. RE4 was basically the same shit for 15-18 hours as well. That didn't stop me from enjoying it and that doesn't stop me from enjoying this game. :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Danielsan said:
Ooh man I just got to the deck (I think that's what it's called). Jaw dropping moment right there.

This game is definitely up there with the big boys in terms of visuals. It probably has some of the best lighting and visuals effects of this gen. The sheer amount of polish and little details per room is astounding.

I see some people are calling the game repetitive. That pretty much goes for any game. RE4 was basically the same shit for 15-18 hours as well. That didn't stop me from enjoying it and that doesn't stop me from enjoying this game. :D

Ya when you first walk into the atrium its pretty stunning.

Finished it up. It really is an amazing game. Funny enough the only part of the game to scare me was the last. Only real problem I have is that there aren't enough weapons, but the ones that are there are incredibly satisfying to use.

I don't understand why reviews were saying things repeat themselves and all that,
only Chapters 11 and 12 have repeated objectives

Nikorasu

Played the PC version for a few hours and am now at chapter 3 (I don't get the tendency to break everything up into chapters these days, it kind of hurts the immersion). Regarding the controls: Its pretty clear they behave as they are supposed to, more or less. It was HORRIFICALLY laggy until i disabled vsync. Actual responsiveness of the cursor is solid in menus, and in game it seems fine, mainly because you're not actually controlling the character's view, but the camera. I can live with that. The only problem in my eyes pops up when you pull out a weapon. I have NO IDEA what's going on there. Its not laggy, just incredibly jumpy and unresponsive. It's playable, just annoying. If they fix the aiming problems, then it would be fine.

Game is wonderful though.

Finally gave up on chapter 11. Having to fight hordes of enemies at one time isn't challenging, it's just obnoxious. And the rate of instant-kills makes me want to take the disc out and snap it over one (or both) of my knees.

I did watch the ending on Youtube. Final boss looked sick. Oh well. This is a game that seemingly everyone loves but just didn't gel over well with me. I still think EA did an awesome job with most of the game, especially technically, but something about the enemy encounters/camera/etc. just really pissed me off.

pc tidbits. AA is a software AA. i haven't been able to override it using the nvidia control panel. here is a comparison...

153o8oz.jpg

sorry that it's a jpeg. i forget to save it as a tif. software AA is on the right. you'll see a kind of edge blurring going on rather than true AA. i prefer it to no AA JUST personally, but real AA would have been nicer. not sure what the engine is doing that makes this happen but whatever.

vsync in game locks it at 30 fps... however... if i force vsync on in my nvidia drivers and leave it off in game, i get a tear free locked 60 fps. w00t. with vsync off i've not seen a drop below 100 fps yet on my 9800 gx2, core 2 extreme q6850.

34oq90x.jpg

i can post some uncompressed pngs at 1920 x 1200 if anyone knows of a free host that'll accept them.

pc controls... you want a pad. but then that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone for this sort of game. they show all the 360 controller onscreen prompts using my 360 pad just as you'd want.

Nikorasu

plagiarize said:
sorry that it's a jpeg. i forget to save it as a tif. software AA is on the right. you'll see a kind of edge blurring going on rather than true AA. i prefer it to no AA JUST personally, but real AA would have been nicer. not sure what the engine is doing that makes this happen but whatever.

The engine most likely uses deferred rendering. The only games that use this rendering method and support real AA are DX10-based like Clear Sky and GoW. This edge blurring technique has been used in a few older games like GRAW (pc).

vsync in game locks it at 30 fps... however... if i force vsync on in my nvidia drivers and leave it off in game, i get a tear free locked 60 fps. w00t. with vsync off i've not seen a drop below 100 fps yet on my 9800 gx2, core 2 extreme q6850.

This is good to know.

Barrett2

Nice paragraph from the AV Club review:

Onion AV Club said:
Originality is overrated. Dead Space proudly wears a host of influences on its sleeve: Alien and Solaris, Half-Life and Resident Evil 4. Plenty of boilerplate game design factors in, too: claustrophobic corridors, explosive canisters, gathering credits to spend at stores, even though you're on a dead ship. But Dead Space is a reminder that influence and convention, sharply focused, can become terrifically creepy.

just finished the first chapter. playing on hard... haven't died yet. upgraded my RIG before getting the line cutter. we'll see if that was a good idea...

playing with head phones in the dark... definately tense. i need to get some surround head phones.

Raistlin

Chrange said:
and I absolutely hate the way he controls. Well not entirely - just turning.

It took a while for my brain to wrap around it.

Pretend you're playing a FPS, then everything is fine. Now that I'm used to it, I love it. Its nice to be able to strafe so easily.

I played this game at midnight with 5.1 Hifi Surround Headphones.... MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT! THE SOUND! THE FUCKING SOUND!

If I mention 1 con, it'll be the fact that certain moments can easily be predictable even though if they are fucking scary. I know for a fact that whenever a door opens and there is darkness or a dead body lying in the room, shit is going to pop out. Infact, a time came where i just ran into rooms to get over the creeps showing up :lol

JRW

shagg_187 said:
I played this game at midnight with 5.1 Hifi Surround Headphones.... MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT! THE SOUND! THE FUCKING SOUND!

If I mention 1 con, it'll be the fact that certain moments can easily be predictable even though if they are fucking scary. I know for a fact that whenever a door opens and there is darkness or a dead body lying in the room, shit is going to pop out. Infact, a time came where i just ran into rooms to get over the creeps showing up :lol

I discovered if you see a dead body and aren't sure if its really dead or not try using kinesis on it .. if your able to move it then its dead, if not then its going to attack.

senahorse

unpurposed said:
Thoughts on the PC version:

I'm running it anywhere between 80 - 110 FPS with Vsync disabled and all settings maxed. Tearing is virtually nonexistent for me but rather noticeable in the opening scene. However, it's minor and it didn't really bother me at all.

Something I did notice however about the controls: Having Vsync enabled slows the cursor down to the point of it being unplayable. Disabling it speeds it up significantly and I can't see a problem with it. I did turn up the mouse sensitivity all the way up, so take that into consideration. Overall, with those two settings, I feel like there aren't any problems with the controls.

C2D 8400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB DDR2
HD4870
Vista X64
1920 * 1200

Interesting, you're getting a higher framerate than me, and I have a better video card (X2) and CPU (8500 @ 4.2Ghz). Mind you I had a fair bit of crap running in the background, which never helps. Interestingly I noticed no difference between 1 GPU and 2GPU's running, which tells me they are not making use of multi GPU setups, as I doubt it's CPU limited. I couldn't handle the tearing, as minor as it may be so 30fps it is for me, which for this type of game is fine. And yes, the PC controls (at least with vsync enabled) are horrible, to say the least, just at the title screen moving the mouse around nearly gave me motion sickness :lol

RavenFox

Banned
shagg_187 said:

Well not all get up but never know which one will and thats the killer lol

Raistlin

Nikorasu said:
The engine most likely uses deferred rendering. The only games that use this rendering method and support real AA are DX10-based like Clear Sky and GoW.

Killzone 2 does it as well ... without DX10

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Danielsan said:

The bridge is an amazing location. As others have said, you just look around and they just nailed the feel of it. I thought I was the only one who was impressed by the design.

The game does a great job of mixing things up considering they really don't have a lot to go with in a spacecraft. I could not have asked for a better designed set of areas.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can someone help me with chapter 7?

How do you avoid getting killed by the smelters rotating around the asteroid? Every time I try to put the beacon on I die

Jon

HK-47 said:

How do you avoid getting killed by the smelters rotating around the asteroid? Every time I try to put the beacon on I die

Move to the upper left of the room, after opening the door. Make sure you kill the scorpion dudes. Then, while waiting in the corner, wait for the smelters to move away from you. As soon as they start to move, jump on, press A, and jump off. You do not need to wait for the animation to finish putting the beacon on the asteroid. It took me a few tries too, but I think this is the best way.

Try that out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HK-47 said:

Wait until they move, jump on the astroid then walk around it until you're outside. You can place it out there and then you'll be able to get two of the tractor beams. The smelters aren't outside.

x3n05 said:
Interesting, you're getting a higher framerate than me, and I have a better video card (X2) and CPU (8500 @ 4.2Ghz). Mind you I had a fair bit of crap running in the background, which never helps. Interestingly I noticed no difference between 1 GPU and 2GPU's running, which tells me they are not making use of multi GPU setups, as I doubt it's CPU limited. I couldn't handle the tearing, as minor as it may be so 30fps it is for me, which for this type of game is fine. And yes, the PC controls (at least with vsync enabled) are horrible, to say the least, just at the title screen moving the mouse around nearly gave me motion sickness :lol
have you tried disabling vsync in the game and forcing it on in your graphics card drivers?

that works for me on my nvidia card. i get 60 fps locked rather than 30 and it's buttery smooth with everything up full at 1920 x 1200.

senahorse

plagiarize said:
have you tried disabling vsync in the game and forcing it on in your graphics card drivers?

that works for me on my nvidia card. i get 60 fps locked rather than 30 and it's buttery smooth with everything up full at 1920 x 1200.

Not yet, I just read your post, I will try it when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

KGKK said:
This game is one of the best multi-platforms game I've ever played, PERIOD!! Can't wait for the sequel.
pc version is great on a pad at least which is how i was going to play the game anyways. load times are almost none existant. it's a bit weird, loading a save from the menu takes less than 10 seconds, but the first load from new game took more like 40 seconds or so. loading between levels seems to be 5 seconds at most.

ps3 and 360 versions are almost impossible to tell apart. not seen any comparisons with the PC version, but obviously frame rate and resolution win there even if everything else is equal.

all in all solid port definately. no one loses really apart from PC games dead set on using mouse and keys... but as i've said before, 3rd person games where you have to hold down a button to aim... just play better on the pad anyways imho. just feels too weird holding down a button to aim when using the mouse.

Aeon712

It sucks having to work overnight the next two weeks. I really wanna play chapter 2 right now while it's darkbut instead I'm forced to play during the evening >_<.

Zzoram

It seems to be a pattern that console ports with vsync on PC lock it to 30fps instead of the usual 60fps. I guess it's because the console versions run at 30fps with vsync. Is it that hard to adjust that they never bother for the PC version?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Need help with chapter 5!

In the huge room where the doors are locked and I'm being chased by the regenerator and a horde of his boys. How do I kill/dispose of him? Died like 15 times already. Not in the hallway after the scientist first cuts the regenerating ones loose. the part after.

Dot50Cal said:
Thanks, you convinced me to go PC :)
it's cheaper too! just make sure you have a good pad. 360 pad is best as normal these days. funny thing is, it runs a lot better than Alone in the Dark did, which didn't look remotely as good. renegade team know their stuff i guess.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TeethMummy said:

In the huge room where the doors are locked and I'm being chased by the regenerator and a horde of his boys. How do I kill/dispose of him? Died like 15 times already. Not in the hallway after the scientist first cuts the regenerating ones loose. the part after.

Stasis/dismember the Regenerator and just kill everything else, soon the door will open and you can run the hell out of there.

Halvie

Banned
TeethMummy said:

try shotting the leg off the regenerator and use stasis to slow down the other monsters and pick them off. I had a problem with this part too till I tried this. Also look for that room...back left I think. Hold yourself up in their and stasis them when they try and come through.

Zzoram said:
It seems to be a pattern that console ports with vsync on PC lock it to 30fps instead of the usual 60fps. I guess it's because the console versions run at 30fps with vsync. Is it that hard to adjust that they never bother for the PC version?
well, it's a lot better than the RE4 lock. at least in the game you can unlock it, and locking it in the graphics card drivers do what you'd expect. i can only imagine they do it for consistancy... but yeah, be nicer if you didn't have to mess about with your graphics card settings.

Zzoram

plagiarize said:
well, it's a lot better than the RE4 lock. at least in the game you can unlock it, and locking it in the graphics card drivers do what you'd expect. i can only imagine they do it for consistancy... but yeah, be nicer if you didn't have to mess about with your graphics card settings.

:lol

You know they don't bother to change it because it requires more work for them, not because they want to gimp PC users with 30fps when we can run it at 120fps. The software AA is also clearly a console hold over.

Broseybrose

ok, 30 minutes in and seriously impressed. definitely happy with my purchase. presentation is INSANE on my pc @1920x1200 with 5.1 surround.

software AA is a little disappointing as i like to force more, but im definitely not complaining. im using kb/m and its not a problem for me... yet. also using vsync as im terribly sensitive to tearing. obviously the menus are jittery but thats not gameplay so it really doesnt bother me.

akenatone

i finished the game a couple hours ago. very good game overall. the last two levels were a little underwhelming. it would have been better if they spread the story around all the chapters a bit instead of having you run errands. i would have loved to meet more characters in that huge ship.

waiting for a sequel i guess. although i would much prefer if this team took a crack at some other original idea or at least setting they have in mind.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Halvie said:
try shotting the leg off the regenerator and use stasis to slow down the other monsters and pick them off. I had a problem with this part too till I tried this. Also look for that room...back left I think. Hold yourself up in their and stasis them when they try and come through.

thanks man.
I kept looking for a way to cause a vaccuum and suck the thing out. Saw the O2 recharger in there and assumed thats how to kill it. As a fan of Alien and Aliens, I always assume the airlock is the best way to kill an alien. Once I holed up in the room, the door was opened for me on the 2nd try.

Zzoram said:
:lol

You know they don't bother to change it because it requires more work for them, not because they want to gimp PC users with 30fps when we can run it at 120fps. The software AA is also clearly a console hold over.
i don't get quite get why you think it's a matter of lazyness. surely all they need do is to tell the graphics card to vsync. programming their own vsync rather than just using in the built in one can't be a huge amount of saved time surely?

i could be missing something though.

ultron87

So I beat the game like an hour ago.
The last boss was suitably epic but unfortunately way too easy. Though I did think I was gonna get eaten when I was failing spectacularly while he was hanging me upside down. I must admit that the scare at the end made me jump even though I was totally expecting it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Just finished the game. Quite awesome with only a few drawbacks. One thing I don't understand though.

If the human made marker suppresses the Necromorphs, why do the Necromorphs show up around it? In addition, why would the Hive Mind want to return the human marker to the planet? Wouldn't that seal itself away?

Atrus said:
Just finished the game. Quite awesome with only a few drawbacks. One thing I don't understand though.

If the human made marker suppresses the Necromorphs, why do the Necromorphs show up around it? In addition, why would the Hive Mind want to return the human marker to the planet? Wouldn't that seal itself away?

I was under the impression that the marker only suppresses the hive mind, not the necromorphs, cause the marker was on the ship during a majority of the game and we saw what happened there. I don't get why the hive mind wanted the marker back, nor do I understand Kendra's intentions with the marker once she had taken it..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love games where the environment is the strongest character.

Bioshock did it, and now Dead Space is doing it. Both are phonomenally good because of it.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
ok, so now im in Chapter 6. The objective key keeps pointing me to
the feeding mechanism, but im in the room with with the 3 floor elevator. i killed every creature inn the room, but no matter what, the objective says I need to go to the feeding mechanism. Help?

yeah, I know, I should be able ot figure this out, but the game's a rental and I'm trying to pound it out in a few days. being stuck doesn't help my cause. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom