• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Ok what happened to the PC version of this game? Why can't I find it anywhere? (the Netherlands btw)

I mean, the console versions are in stores, so where's my PC version :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Draft said:
PS3 version does the same exact thing all the time. Door will take 4-5 seconds to load.
Hmm, so far it never took longer than 1-2 seconds to open, but I'm very early in the game. In fact it's been instant with almost all of the doors I've went through so far, I only remember one or two doors taking a second or so to open.

Marconelly said:
Hmm, so far it never took longer than 1-2 seconds to open, but I'm very early in the game. In fact it's been instant with almost all of the doors I've went through so far, I only remember one or two doors taking a second or so to open.
depends on what you do. it's like metroid prime. in chapter 2 after
killing the captain
i doubled back to use a power node to open a door i'd missed, rather than taking the lift that would shortcut me back to near the entrance to medical.

one of the doors i hit going the wrong way (as it were) took 4 to 5 seconds to open. i wouldn't be surprised if everyone repeating those moves would see the same thing, as i expect the game had dropped the previous rooms from memory expecting me not to double back like that, hence the apparent loading delay. there was no delay when i returned back to the lift the way i was 'supposed' to go.

i'm playing on PC, so it's nothing to do with memory or disc accessing times.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
I've heard some comparisons to RE4 - is it true that the two games are alike?

Damn you GAF. I really don't want to spend too much this holiday but these impressions are making it tough.
I'd say it's a bit Resident Evil 4 and a bit Bioshock with a little Metroid Prime sprinkled in.

Zeliard

Jive Turkey said:
I'd say it's a bit Resident Evil 4 and a bit Bioshock with a little Metroid Prime sprinkled in.

It's also got some Gears sprinkled on top, with the burly character's slick movement, the smooth aiming (even with a DS3, magically), and the deliciously gory and responsive combat.

JRW

dark10x said:
This game really helps me appreciate my plasma. I showed this game to a friend of mine yesterday using his 32" LCD and, holy shit, the game looked absolutely awful. Even with in-game brightness cranked to max, the display could hardly resolve the Ishimura logo present in the calibration screen. Transitions from bright lights to dark areas were abrupt with those dark areas filled with glowing gray LCD backlight completely devoid of detail. It does allow me to realize just how much LCDs have improved as this is a 2006 model and most recent LCDs, while still bothersome, are a huge leap from this Sharp panel. I honestly do not believe I could enjoy such a game on that display. In all honesty, I'd sooner play the game on an old SD CRT than a low quality HD LCD.

Yes I agree, Playing this game at night with the lights out on my Pioneer Kuro plasma is godly. I can still easily see the calibration logo even with the in game brightness set on minimum (I don't run it quite that low tho) Proper black levels play a huge role in Dead space's atmosphere / experience.

p.s. I just finished Chapter 6 and all I can say is Wow :D

marvelharvey said:
I have to mention that I blame a number of of my deaths purely on the 360's loading times. On the odd occasion, I'd be high tailing it away from a regenerator, run up to a door, hit the button, the 360's disc drive would whirrs into motion, whirr, whirr and whirr a bit more 'C'MON! CAN'T YOU FIND NEXT ROOM'S DATA??' whirr whirr... at which point, a slicing blade would tear my body in half. On the other hand, the unreliability adds to the overall panic!

What is this "running away" you speak of?

Man-up, pussy. Stop worrying about getting blood on your purse and bounce a couple plasma cutter rounds off their skulls.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
It's also got some Gears sprinkled on top, with the burly character's slick movement, the smooth aiming (even with a DS3, magically), and the deliciously gory and responsive combat.

You didn't even mention the stomp?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if only gears of war controlled, played, and had as satisfying a weapon economy as this. they really nailed just about everything i like about third person shooting in dead space.

Danielsan

Zeliard said:
Honestly. I wanted to buy the 360 version at first due to the controller but somehow these guys made a shooter that works amazingly with the DS3. Not once did I think "gee I sure wish I was playing this with a 360 controller". It proves that the problem doesn't lie with the controller but with the developers.

Shins

Banned
I'm playing the PS3 version. My controller preference changes based on the game. I thought playing this might be a bit odd after a lot of Gears of War, but it works well. I don't think I'd like to hold down the left bumper to run for this game either; I've never liked using those for any functions beyond quick taps.

Up to Chapter five. Trying to take my time and do one or two chapters a night. The view on first entering the Bridge was great after a few hours of slimy steel corridors.

Danielsan

beelzebozo said:
if only gears of war controlled, played, and had as satisfying a weapon economy as this. they really nailed just about everything i like about third person shooting in dead space.
Seriously. Gears is great but it controlls like a freight train. I wish EA would send Capcom a copy of Dead Space. This is what RE5 should control like.

I really don't get the appeal of Gears.

Completely unsatisfying weapons, horribly generic character design (I loathe macho space marines) and stiff, limited controls.

Dead Space excels in all these categories, and although they're completely different games I think Epic could learn a lot from EA in this case.

Raistlin

JRW said:
Yes I agree, Playing this game at night with the lights out on my Pioneer Kuro plasma is godly. I can still easily see the calibration logo even with the in game brightness set on minimum (I don't run it quite that low tho) Proper black levels play a huge role in Dead space's atmosphere / experience.

Yeah, I can still see a hint of the logo near the lowest brightness level.

My TV is certainly not an authority on black-level, but its not bad. I really can't imagine playing the game on an old/cheap LCD. Crap, I'm not even satisfied with a Kuro in terms of finding the 'perfect TV', let alone my current display.

The Interrobanger said:
I really don't get the appeal of Gears.

Completely unsatisfying weapons, horribly generic character design (I loathe macho space marines) and stiff, limited controls.

Dead Space excels in all these categories, and although they're completely different games I think Epic could learn a lot from EA in this case.

Well, Cliffy could learn a few things about the engine as well.

From what someone had previously posted, Cliffy saw the game being demoed and congratulated them for doing some things he hadn’t expected with UE3. He wasn’t exactly happy when he was told it ain’t UE3. :p

This little gaffe hasn’t received much press to my knowledge, but I’m quite sure devs have heard it … and it must be a bit of a PR nightmare for Epic.

Raistlin

Danielsan said:
Honestly. I wanted to buy the 360 version at first due to the controller but somehow these guys made a shooter that works amazingly with the DS3. Not once did I think "gee I sure wish I was playing this with a 360 controller". It proves that the problem doesn't lie with the controller but with the developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the control code is pretty much ported as-is from the 360 rev of most multiplatform titles. The problem is, the analog sticks between the two consoles are quite difference in terms of dead-zone, travel, etc.

This is what happens when a team takes the time to tweak things for the respective consoles (unless of course the opposite is happening, and the 360 version doesn't control as well - was this a PS3 lead, or was it not really led on either?)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, Cliffy could learn a few things about the engine as well.

From what someone had previously posted, Cliffy saw the game being demoed and congratulated them for doing some things he hadn’t expected with UE3. He wasn’t exactly happy when he was told it ain’t UE3. :p
I don't see why people are slamming on UE3, though. That engine is still pretty incredible in its own right. Dead Space DOES look fantastic, but I still think UE3 has the edge in many areas. Gears of War in 2006 truly was one of the most incredible looking things released at that point. It was a beautiful game.

I think Mirror's Edge is actually a great example of a developer doing something unique with UE3. It looks fantastic and unique while running smoothly on all platforms.

Both engines are solid.

Crap, I'm not even satisfied with a Kuro in terms of finding the 'perfect TV', let alone my current display.
I agree with that as well. I love my plasma, but it's not perfect. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything better on the market available at such a large size. This is as good as it gets at the moment unless I want to restrict myself to a 24" CRT.

Impossible mode is sooooo much fun, lads. If you're looking for a challenge...this is it.

I'd suggest sticking to only two weapons so you always have plenty of ammo.

Mindlog

Well there is a pretty good competition between Dead Space and Mass Effect for elevators/trams/doors per square foot :]

Beat the game with only the cutter. Great weapon and using only it earned me a ton of money on ammo pickups.

I beat the game without ever purchasing the other weapons, but didn't get one gun. Le sad face.

Or perhaps I got it without noticing. Anyways, great game and I hope it sells well.

Danielsan

bigdaddygamebot said:
Impossible mode is sooooo much fun, lads. If you're looking for a challenge...this is it.

I'd suggest sticking to only two weapons so you always have plenty of ammo.
Could you tell me what all the difficulties are? I'm playing it on hard (first time) and would like to know how many harder difficulties there are.

Draft

I swear to God, if this turns into a Plasma viral thread, I will start to break.

And the PS3 version has the door loading issue. It absolutely, positively does. Especially when you start moving really fast when back tracking. This is not system wars territory. This is just me relating, as a totally satisfied PS3 version owner of Dead Space, that it has a "Metroid Prime" door loading issue, and I assume it is the same exact issue that the X360 version has.

Raistlin

Orellio said:
360 owner here and I say go for the PS3 version. One of the few games where the better audio and video quality the PS3 offers is appreciable.

I haven't been keeping up on this thread ... the PS3 version has better graphics?

Draft

Onix said:
I haven't been keeping up on this thread ... the PS3 version has better graphics?
No, it doesn't.

Geeze. You guys.

They are identical. Absolutely identical. IGN says that the PS3 versions loads a second or two faster when you die. I have no idea if that's true. It still takes like a dozen seconds on the PS3 to reload after death, or load a saved game.

Just buy the game for whichever system strokes your fanboy gland. You don't lose either way.

edit: Even the better audio thing is just bullshit system warrior common knowledge. Oh well the PS3 version must have better sound. In 7.1 lossless PCM we trust.

I do commend most people for keeping that behavior out of this, the official thread of the GOTY 2008.

Raistlin

dark10x said:
I agree with that as well. I love my plasma, but it's not perfect. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything better on the market available at such a large size. This is as good as it gets at the moment unless I want to restrict myself to a 24" CRT.

0-luma blacks are coming ... don't worry :)

Raistlin

Draft said:
No, it doesn't.

Geeze. You guys.

Cry moar?

'you guys'? I was asking, because I hadn't heard anyone else say it.

They are identical. Absolutely identical. IGN says that the PS3 versions loads a second or two faster when you die. I have no idea if that's true. It still takes like a dozen seconds on the PS3 to reload after death, or load a saved game.

Just buy the game for whichever system strokes your fanboy gland. You don't lose either way.

No offense, but who uses IGN for such info. They say that with plenty of games that aren't identical. I'm just looking for the usual GAF breakdown of anal-differentiation.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay I just got the game... we'll see if it's as good as people say it is. I remember saying something negative about this game back in this thread and god, I've never been so flamed in my life.

We'll see :)

Opinions coming in 5-6 hours.

Raistlin

Seiken said:
Okay I just got the game... we'll see if it's as good as people say it is. I remember saying something negative about this game back in this thread and god, I've never been so flamed in my life.

We'll see :)

Opinions coming in 5-6 hours.

Its certainly not perfect ... but prepare to be amazed on the outset.

Draft

Onix said:
Cry moar?

'you guys'? I was asking, because I hadn't heard anyone else say it.
Then you cry moar. How about you read the thread? PS3 vs. X360 comes up every 100 posts, with the same exact replies every time. And in fact, since you asked, the elite pixel counting division has been deadly silent over this game. There is no room for a system warrior in this thread.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Mindlog said:
I beat the game without ever purchasing the other weapons, but didn't get one gun. Le sad face.

I'm glad you brought this up. Does this mean you can't use stasis/kinesis if you're trying to get the One Gun achievement? Does melee count as a weapon?

Mifune

Mehmber
Uh guys, this game has invaded my dreams. I keep jolting awake with visions of multi-tentacled things exploding out of vents.

I'm only up to Chapter Three, but oh my it's awesome. The sound field is just incredible. I love listening to malfunctioning doors or the flames from the docking bay fade away into the rear channels as I move through the station.

This game's engine is phenomenal. So smooth and detailed and UE3-destroying.

Love this game so much.

Onix said:
Yeah, I can still see a hint of the logo near the lowest brightness level.

I could barely see the logo on the brightest settings. I kept moving the slider back and forth and didn't see anything. It took me a few seconds to figure out what they were talking about. Not playing on my normal TV though. :lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Draft said:
No, it doesn't.

Geeze. You guys.

edit: Even the better audio thing is just bullshit system warrior common knowledge. Oh well the PS3 version must have better sound. In 7.1 lossless PCM we trust.

I do commend most people for keeping that behavior out of this, the official thread of the GOTY 2008.
Quite. Literally the only reason I'm choosing to get it on PS3 is because I don't have a good surround setup, and for an atmosphere/audio intensive game like Dead Space, I'd prefer not to hear the sound of disc spin in the background.

Both look amazing. Both have achievementy things. Both priced the same on release. Let's hope this is a new trend.

Mindlog

luxarific said:
I'm glad you brought this up. Does this mean you can't use stasis/kinesis if you're trying to get the One Gun achievement? Does melee count as a weapon?

I just checked my profile real quick. Turns out I did get it 8D

So kinesis and melee are OK to use.

Oh, something I have been forgetting. It'd be really nice if EA or someone setup a small division to make PSN/XBLA/WiiwWare/Steam creative sport games. I really started to like the 2nd mini-game and would have no problem buying a version of it that was a little more fleshed out and ready for multi.

bring back the mutant leagues!

Raistlin

Draft said:
Then you cry moar.

T_T

How about you read the thread?

Let's see ... I have read most of the thread ... and that was the first time I had seen it.

MAYBE THAT'S WHY I ASKED FOR CLARIFICATION? Someone made a claim, and I wanted it to be clarified. Wow ... what a completely strange thing to do.

PS3 vs. X360 comes up every 100 posts, with the same exact replies every time. And in fact, since you asked, the elite pixel counting division has been deadly silent over this game. There is no room for a system warrior in this thread.

The majority of posts I've seen were referring to IGN or similar sites' statements, which in fact have been incorrect many times.

I was wondering if maybe someone had actually compared them side-by-side themselves?

Quite throwing out accusations for shit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm back... oh my fucking god, I don't know if I can continue... 60 bucks on chapter one, sheesh...

Sigh

Yoshichan

NO! FUCK THIS! I've beaten every Silent Hill, this ain't stopping me.

Later guys.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Chapter 4 asteroids part wasn't so bad at all. Some of you had me a little wary. At the start of Chapter 5 now. I can safely say this is my 2nd favorite game this gen, after Bioshock.

Raistlin

Draft said:
Look, it's the same game on both platforms. You know which one you want. So just go buy that one.

Shouldn't you read the thread then?

I already have the game.

Wow ...

Seiken said:
I'm back... oh my fucking god, I don't know if I can continue... 60 bucks on chapter one, sheesh...

Sigh

??

You mean you hate it?

Got this last night, wow, great game. Couldn't play long because it was late and I had to be up, but fuck me it gives some genuine frights and does a great job of creating an eery atmosphere.

I TOTALLY didn't realise it was a 3rd person game though :lol I was waiting for the camera to switch to first for ages.

Loving the lack of HUD and all the holographic menu that comes up as if it's coming up for your character as opposed to you, it think it's a great touch.

Looking forward to getting stuck right into it tonight. Totally reminds me of Bioshock combined with Dark Sector.

Raistlin

Draft said:
Then why do you care?

I enjoy technical discussions ... which contrary to your belief, are quite common in gaf threads - without turning the thread into a systems wars disaster.

I'm a SW dev (though not gaming). Geesh. What exactly is your problem? I ask a simple question, that in reality shouldn't cause any sort of shitstorm, and you not only respond like I ran over your dog ... but then ask 20 questions for why one would even ask such a question? Maybe I should have aimed for your highhorse instead of your dog.

Draft

Onix said:
I enjoy technical discussions ... which contrary to your belief, are quite common in gaf threads - without turning the thread into a systems wars disaster.

I'm a SW dev (though not gaming). Geesh. What exactly is your problem? I ask a simple question, that in reality shouldn't cause any sort of shitstorm, and you not only respond like I ran over your dog ... but then ask 20 questions for why one would even ask such a question? Maybe I should have aimed for your highhorse instead of your dog.
My problem is that Dead Space is better than the system wars, and if you let the console warriors start doing their thing, you are but a few precious posts away from someone posting off screen Uncharted pics.

Not this time. Not in this thread.

Draft said:
I swear to God, if this turns into a Plasma viral thread, I will start to break.

And the PS3 version has the door loading issue. It absolutely, positively does. Especially when you start moving really fast when back tracking. This is not system wars territory. This is just me relating, as a totally satisfied PS3 version owner of Dead Space, that it has a "Metroid Prime" door loading issue, and I assume it is the same exact issue that the X360 version has.

Played the 360 version for an hour last night, didn't notice any loading door issues, is it meant to happen later in the game? I'm still on chapter one and haven't encountered a loading door situation a la Metroid.

Raistlin

Draft said:
My problem is that Dead Space is better than the system wars, and if you let the console warriors start doing their thing, you are but a few precious posts away from someone posting off screen Uncharted pics.

Not this time. Not in this thread.

Except I'm not a console warrior.

So based on your logic, technical discussions between multiplatform titles is basically no longer allowable? How about this, once you become a mod/admin, you can go enact such a rule. Until then ... just stop.

Shins

Banned
shuuuuuuttttt uppppppp

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Loving the lack of HUD and all the holographic menu that comes up as if it's coming up for your character as opposed to you, it think it's a great touch.
I have a love/hate relationship with the menu when I'm getting rushed by enemies and need to use a medpack. I'll be cursing in the moment as I try to get some distance between myself and the enemies, only to have to waste ammo/stasis to slow them down.

At the same time, the intensity of that, in addition to the gratification that comes from finishing off three enemies with absolutely no visible health left is awesome.

Big-E

Shins said:
I have a love/hate relationship with the menu when I'm getting rushed by enemies and need to use a medpack. I'll be cursing in the moment as I try to get some distance between myself and the enemies, only to have to waste ammo/stasis to slow them down.

At the same time, the intensity of that, in addition to the gratification that comes from finishing off three enemies with absolutely no visible health left is awesome.

Dude just press X or Square for a med pack. It automatically uses your lowest strength med pack so you don't have to worry about wasting a large med on a small heal.

Top Bottom