• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Azar

codecow said:
There is very little platform specific code that interprets the stick values; although since this particular module actually comes from the PS2 era it's more like we had the NGC and Xbox as re-mapped Dual Shock controllers and the same goes for the current stuff.

FWIW my personal preference is for the Dual Shock analog sticks, always has been. I think Dead Space controls great on both platforms but we certainly made an effort particularly with the button mapping on PS3 to "get things right". Placing the 'fire' button on PS3 was a point of controversy on the team right up until we shipped it.
I imagine you guys don't need to be told that you made an awesome game, but it should be said many times regardless. I hope it sells as well as it deserves to so you can make a sequel or a new project or whatever you team wants to work on.

Muffdraul

Someone please help chapter 9 engine room. Um wtf do i do?

Use the two large hanging cylinders as cover against the flames... use kinesis to move them down the room and smash the fuses. I think there are six, three on either side.

RavenFox

Banned
Muffdraul said:
Use the two large hanging cylinders as cover against the flames... use kinesis to move them down the room and smash the fuses. I think there are six, three on either side.
Spoiler tags junior [spoiler ] [ /spoiler] put your stuff between them.

Draft

momolicious said:
So PC version is bad?
It's fine, if you have a gamepad.

I kind of thought this was accepted by now, but I guess Dead Space just serves as the latest and best example.

If you are going to use your PC as a console substitute (congratulations on joining the winning team) you must buy a gamepad. 9 out of 10 games that get released on the consoles and the PC are going to be very much console games, with PC ports. That means controls that aren't going to get along at all with a keyboard and mouse.

Every complaint about Dead Space PC centers around trying to control it with the keyboard/mouse. And I guess somebody can't stand the FOV, though I don't really know what's up with that.

There is very little platform specific code that interprets the stick values; although since this particular module actually comes from the PS2 era it's more like we had the NGC and Xbox as re-mapped Dual Shock controllers and the same goes for the current stuff.

FWIW my personal preference is for the Dual Shock analog sticks, always has been. I think Dead Space controls great on both platforms but we certainly made an effort particularly with the button mapping on PS3 to "get things right". Placing the 'fire' button on PS3 was a point of controversy on the team right up until we shipped it.

Hey! I'm not alone!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
speculawyer said:
So . . . do I want to buy this game?
Yes you do!

Finally started up, was very curious to see what Isaac looked like and took the opportunity to rotate at the beginning. Just happened to remind me of a character from a current show...
scruffy nature, eyes, and hair reminded immediately of Derek Reese in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, though the face is fatter and not itself to be confused with that actor...

Off to the game.

Draft

I actually thought Isaac looked kind of like a goober when you finally see him. He's got these like fat cheeks and this kind of hilariously pronounced butt chin :lol

I'm on chapter 11, assuming I'm nearly done.

I think the levels have been getting even better as the game goes on.
The garden, the living quarters, the cafeteria,
just fucking awesome.

As I play, I can just imagine the different ways people must be modifying their play style due to the item upgrade/management system.

I've only used 2 guns the entire game (Plasma Cutter and Line Gun) and they're fully upgraded. I haven't updated my kinetic power even once and I immediately sell any statis and air canisters I get for cash. I hardly ever use my powers unless the puzzle absolutely requires it, but in those cases there will always be some sort of recharge station so the items aren't necessary.

2 quick questions:

Do I buy the level 6 suit or is it free?
I just wanna know if I should be saving the cash for it.

What gets transferred over in the new game+? All weapon upgrades? Do I keep any extra nodes I might have collected?

It's been an amazing ride thus far. I can't wait to start it all over again. :)

Draft said:
I actually thought Isaac looked kind of like a goober when you finally see him. He's got these like fat cheeks and this kind of hilariously pronounced butt chin :lol

I agree at least about the fat cheeks part (though "goober"? Nah), I dialed back my description to include "rounder" when "fatter" is what I really meant...so to hell with it I put it back that way...heh

Oh, and I see back there was surprise about the "X" button being used for the health. I have the game paused at the tutorial screen that tells you that explicitly in-game...

Draft said:

I kind of thought this was accepted by now, but I guess Dead Space just serves as the latest and best example.

If you are going to use your PC as a console substitute (congratulations on joining the winning team) you must buy a gamepad. 9 out of 10 games that get released on the consoles and the PC are going to be very much console games, with PC ports. That means controls that aren't going to get along at all with a keyboard and mouse.

Every complaint about Dead Space PC centers around trying to control it with the keyboard/mouse. And I guess somebody can't stand the FOV, though I don't really know what's up with that.

Does it work well with the ps3 controller with USB cord?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Right before the end of level 5 where you have
the battle with the regenerating piece of shit that you end up killing with the cryo machine
, I could have sworn I heard the intercom say "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard".

Did anyone else catch that? Did I mishear it?

That's an old Three Stooges line that I remember specifically from the shorts on Sunday morning TV and later from the Three Stooges game by Cinemaware.

Or has this game caused me to lose my mind? :^)

Just finished and got the One Gun trophy! Wow, what a game. This game isn't being hyped nearly enough. This has been one of the best next gen experiences I have had so far. It is right up there with Uncharted, MGS4, and RFOM. Everything about this game screams quality.

My hats off to EA Redwood for scaring the shit out of me. By far the best game I have ever played in that regard. The sound was just as important as the visuals.

I am even going to play through again, but this time I will use all of the weapons. I still think in the end the plama cutter will be my favorite. I love that damn thing.

Draft

momolicious said:
I don't really have any experience with making a PS3 controller work on a PC. Can you do that? Just plug a dual shock 3 into a PC via USB and make it a gamepad? Cause if so fuck yeah.

momolicious said:
My guess is that any DIY drivers made for the PS3 controller wouldn't be able to access the vibration function, whereas the 360 controller would work perfectly since MS has XP and Vista drivers for it.

Get a wired 360 controller.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hahaha at the ending.

Man, I was spoiled as to
necro-Nicole attacking, but I thought it was some final kill that you had to do, not a cutscene that heavily implies that Isaac bites the dust at the end. If EA does decide to sequel this sweet game, they had better use Isaac again and have a good explanation, because I'm pretty sure that in that small cockpit area, he would have seen her before she crawled out from behind a tiny-ass chair....oh, and before I forget, anyone screencap that alien message right before the credits, or translate it?

Overall, I'd have to say the lack of HUD was what really lent its way to the tension in this game, no distracting big ass bars to downplay fear.

Draft

Metroidvania said:
Hahaha at the ending.

Man, I was spoiled as to
necro-Nicole attacking, but I thought it was some final kill that you had to do, not a cutscene that heavily implies that Isaac bites the dust at the end. If EA does decide to sequel this sweet game, they had better use Isaac again and have a good explanation, because I'm pretty sure that in that small cockpit area, he would have seen her before she crawled out from behind a tiny-ass chair....oh, and before I forget, anyone screencap that alien message right before the credits, or translate it?

Overall, I'd have to say the lack of HUD was what really lent its way to the tension in this game, no distracting big ass bars to downplay fear.
My man Isaac just got done killing like a billion alien zombies. You really think he got chumped at the last second? No chance. Necro Nicole is a stain on the inside of that shuttle as soon as the credits roll.

Draft said:
My man Isaac just got done killing like a billion alien zombies. You really think he got chumped at the last second? No chance. Necro Nicole is a stain on the inside of that shuttle as soon as the credits roll.

she wasn't even all that dangerous yet, she was still completely human looking. He was in love with Nicole though, so it begs the question. Would you be able to kill the one you love?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MorisUkunRasik said:
she wasn't even all that dangerous yet, she was still completely human looking. He was in love with Nicole though, so it begs the question. Would you be able to kill the one you love?
I'm pretty sure it was just an hallucination, like Nicole always was. He's seen so many of these things he's probably going to have a hard time getting used to them not being around him all the time. That paranoia probably merged with his love for Nicole.

Metroidvania

RoboPlato said:
I'm pretty sure it was just an hallucination, like Nicole always was. He's seen so many of these things he's probably going to have a hard time getting used to them not being around him all the time. That paranoia probably merged with his love for Nicole.

I just thought of this, especially when
She's still got human physical features like hair, and Necro Nicole, at least as far as we know, was never on the shuttle to begin with, if she was even turned into a Necro in the first place.

I bought the Military Suit.

Wicked!

Draft said:
I just thought he looked ordinary.

mjc

Just finished it up a couple minutes ago, I'm pretty impressed overall.

+Graphics...oh my. Everything is just ultra detailed and the lighting is fantastic.
+No UI was a brilliant move. It really added to the sense of isolation and dread.
+Outstanding audio, if I ever showcase surround sound for someone this game is the one I'll reach for.
+Nice variation on weapons, each one feels good to use.
+
The bosses were absolutely awesome especially since most of them were 100x bigger than you were.
+I really enjoyed the
outer space sections
, I wish there were more.
-I agree with the above post about the
later levels having more variety
. I liked the level designs in most cases but the earlier levels just kinda blended together in most cases.
-First play through it seemed kinda hard to level up any of my equipment with the power cells. (I pretty much only maxed out my suit, the rest only has one or two in them or none at all)

I give a standing ovation to the team at EA for creating this though, the good outweighs the bad drastically and you should be proud to have made such a cool game.

RavenFox

Banned
Zeliard said:
Isaac looks like Joe the Engineer.

But underneath that unassuming facade lies the heart and soul of a badass motherfucker.
I agree. You have to be harder than fucking nails to go through this hell and not heap yourself into a corner shaking with fear.

RavenFox said:
I agree. You have to be harder than fucking nails to go through this hell and not heap yourself into a corner shaking with fear.

Hell, who wouldn't agree with that? Isaac is the man, no pretense at all.

Putting it away until tomorrow, only up to
med area going for the second of those 2 needed parts, loved the smooth integration of weightless and outer-hull areas

aeolist

Banned
Draft said:

I figured this would be the case. I was leaning toward gamepad control anyway since the game looks so similar to RE4 in combat.

Zeliard said:
Isaac looks like Joe the Engineer.

But underneath that unassuming facade lies the heart and soul of a badass motherfucker.
I haven't finished the game yet, but at the end does Isaac turn out to be a girl? :lol

polyh3dron said:
I haven't finished the game yet, but at the end does Isaac turn out to be a girl? :lol

Just start a new game specifically to see the intro sequence again and rotate the camera around to the front of Isaac's face when it allows you to.

Metroidvania

polyh3dron said:

lol, you see he's a dude in the very first scene by angling the camera in the beginning.

But yeah, his cheeks do look a little chubby at the end, different from the opening.

cluto

The Interrobanger said:
2 quick questions:

Do I buy the level 6 suit or is it free?
I just wanna know if I should be saving the cash for it.

What gets transferred over in the new game+? All weapon upgrades? Do I keep any extra nodes I might have collected?
1. It costs 99,000 credits.

2. Everything. Yes. Yes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just finished. Good ending and final boss. I may address my complaints (more like things I hope they will improve in a sequel) Dead SPace 2 plz.

I cant get enough of sci fi games with RPG elements

Phthisis

I just beat it. Holy shit does it ramp up near the end. Fucking amazing. My game of the year so far. Absolutely incredible in every regard. Someone needs to spread the word.

To anyone from the dev team reading this: fucking outstanding work. My commendations to all of you.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mjc said:
Just finished it up a couple minutes ago, I'm pretty impressed overall.

+Graphics...oh my. Everything is just ultra detailed and the lighting is fantastic.
+No UI was a brilliant move. It really added to the sense of isolation and dread.
+Outstanding audio, if I ever showcase surround sound for someone this game is the one I'll reach for.
+Nice variation on weapons, each one feels good to use.
+
The bosses were absolutely awesome especially since most of them were 100x bigger than you were.
+I really enjoyed the
outer space sections
, I wish there were more.
-I agree with the above post about the
later levels having more variety
. I liked the level designs in most cases but the earlier levels just kinda blended together in most cases.
-First play through it seemed kinda hard to level up any of my equipment with the power cells. (I pretty much only maxed out my suit, the rest only has one or two in them or none at all)

I give a standing ovation to the team at EA for creating this though, the good outweighs the bad drastically and you should be proud to have made such a cool game.

What difficulty where you playing on? On medium I was able to fully upgrade the RIG, Kinesis, Stasis, Line Gun and Plasma Cutter and start on the Force Gun

Force Gun rocks by the way but Line Gun + Plasma Cutter is best on first playthrough I think. Lets you concentrate on upgrades for only two weapons and makes ammo easier to manage

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Phthisis said:
I just beat it. Holy shit does it ramp up near the end. Fucking amazing. My game of the year so far. Absolutely incredible in every regard. Someone needs to spread the word.

To anyone from the dev team reading this: fucking outstanding work. My commendations to all of you.

EA Redwood to be the next 2K Boston?

I hope so. They melded SS2 with RE4 perfectly.

Ive been following this since it was first announced and it seems that its a fantastic experience. However I can't afford all these great games coming out...I plan on buying Fable II. And I DEF want to get this because I love Space and Sci Fi. What is the replay value? I take it from most of the posts that its no bother renting it, that it should be one to buy. Is that an accurate statement?

sinnergy

I am playing my first play trough on hard, and I am getting my ass handed.
Lack of ammo and to much enemies at once.. I have seen the loading screen many times. \I like to take my time with this game, so I don't mind.

Also, I never get scared by games, but this game managed to get me jumping in the first 45 minutes of the game.

EA a job well done!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Memphis Reigns said:
Ive been following this since it was first announced and it seems that its a fantastic experience. However I can't afford all these great games coming out...I plan on buying Fable II. And I DEF want to get this because I love Space and Sci Fi. What is the replay value? I take it from most of the posts that its no bother renting it, that it should be one to buy. Is that an accurate statement?

Its about a 15-20 hour action game with multiple difficulties and a new game+ feature. So for an action game its long and it pretty damn good so you may want to replay it, if thats your sort of thing.

Top Bottom