• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Rlan

I bought the game last night, loved the first Chapter. However I didn't see any suits for download on the Australian store. Are they still up in the US? Maybe they're up today...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
HK-47 said:
What difficulty where you playing on? On medium I was able to fully upgrade the RIG, Kinesis, Stasis, Line Gun and Plasma Cutter and start on the Force Gun

Force Gun rocks by the way but Line Gun + Plasma Cutter is best on first playthrough I think. Lets you concentrate on upgrades for only two weapons and makes ammo easier to manage

Seriously?

I supposed I missed some nodes, but I had the suit, and plasma cutter fully upped, with the pulse rifle almost done.

Hmm....must have missed more than I thought.

But I agree on the two-gun thing, it really helps to get only two kinds of ammo instead of 3 or 4. Plasma cutter and something else that's not the flamethrower.

HK-47 said:
Its about a 15-20 hour action game with multiple difficulties and a new game+ feature. So for an action game its long and it pretty damn good so you may want to replay it, if thats your sort of thing.

Oh that is my sorta thing. Ok you just gave EA Redwood another sale. Gonna buy it this weekend. CANT FREAKIN WAIT

Just finished Chapter 7. So glad I gave in and bought this game. :D

Oh. So if I'm stuck using the Scorpion suit now will I be able to change to another suit when I start New Game +?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
sevenchaos said:
Just finished Chapter 7. So glad I gave in and bought this game. :D

Oh. So if I'm stuck using the Scorpion suit now will I be able to change to another suit when I start New Game +?

I think you'll be able to upgrade to the
military suit, seeing as it's got a level 6 rating as opposed to a level 5
, but I'm not sure.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Metroidvania said:
Seriously?

I supposed I missed some nodes, but I had the suit, and plasma cutter fully upped, with the pulse rifle almost done.

Hmm....must have missed more than I thought.

But I agree on the two-gun thing, it really helps to get only two kinds of ammo instead of 3 or 4. Plasma cutter and something else that's not the flamethrower.

I was also able to afford all the suits and no DLC suit. I just took any extra money I had and used it on nodes. I also always saved one at all times for those node doors, since there were about one each chapter and they always have a shit ton of ammo. I also sold off the extra stasis packs and air cans I found and eventually all small med packs and a certain amount of the other packs. I also stored excess ammo beyond 2-3 full clips so that I would have extra space and so that I didnt need to buy ammo in a tight spot

I played up until midway through Chapter 4 last night. Having an amazing time with the game. The visuals are amazing and I really really love the Zero G/vacuum spots. So crazy seeing those bastards flying through the air as I pull out the Pulse Rifle and just disintegrate them.

Right now I am running around with the Plasma cutter/Pulse Rifle/Ripper. I hate to limit my choices with weapons because they are all so fun. I really have no idea what to upgrade though. I am definitely going to just upgrade the cutter first as it is the staple of my combat.

Mohonky

Can someone explain the DLC suits for me?

Basically I've started playing and I have a lvl 3 suit (just finished Chap 6) but I thought DLC suits were on marketplace right now? I had a look but couldn't find anything and there were no codes or anything in my copy of Dead Space.

So whats the go with the suits themselves? I just want something cool looking. I've seen someone running around with a red suit in one screenshot, was that a DLC suit or just something you eventually upgrade too?

All this suit talk is really confusing me (I is slightly retard you see).

Danielsan

Mohonky said:
Can someone explain the DLC suits for me?

Basically I've started playing and I have a lvl 3 suit (just finished Chap 6) but I thought DLC suits were on marketplace right now? I had a look but couldn't find anything and there were no codes or anything in my copy of Dead Space.

So whats the go with the suits themselves? I just want something cool looking. I've seen someone running around with a red suit in one screenshot, was that a DLC suit or just something you eventually upgrade too?

All this suit talk is really confusing me (I is slightly retard you see).
DLC suits are up on the US PSN store. Just look up Dead Space under D and you'll find them.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I played up until midway through Chapter 4 last night. Having an amazing time with the game. The visuals are amazing and I really really love the Zero G/vacuum spots. So crazy seeing those bastards flying through the air as I pull out the Pulse Rifle and just disintegrate them.

Right now I am running around with the Plasma cutter/Pulse Rifle/Ripper. I hate to limit my choices with weapons because they are all so fun. I really have no idea what to upgrade though. I am definitely going to just upgrade the cutter first as it is the staple of my combat.
I'm playing on hard which means I don't have a lot of cash and nodes to spare but I'm personally upgrading my cutter to full force first because I want to do a Plasma Cutter only run next. I have damage fully maxed out, it now pops off limbs like nobody's business. :D

So, I just finished the game...

I loved it.. mostly. Last couple levels really lost the momentum the game had built up IMO. The final boss was really easy. I was expecting some crazy fight, but oh well, at least it killed the betraying bitch Kendra :lol And... you could see the whole ending coming a mile away. Felt cheap to me, and a little cliche/corny. Also, I can see why Issac keeps his helmet on all the time. He's fucking ugly :lol Can't wait for the sequel!!!

Soooo why do you need anything other than the plasma cutter again? I'm not a big achievement whore but I started playing with cutter only and I maxed out the damage pretty early and haven't seen the need to use anything else so far and I'm on chapter 6 so I figured I might as well go for the achievement.

Danielsan

Mohonky said:
Playing 360 version, sorry should have pointed that out.
Ooh my bad. :lol

MWS Natural said:
Soooo why do you need anything other than the plasma cutter again? I'm not a big achievement whore but I started playing with cutter only and I maxed out the damage pretty early and haven't seen the need to use anything else so far and I'm on chapter 6 so I figured I might as well go for the achievement.
You don't but the other weapons are pretty awesome as well. :D

R0nn

Any info on differences between the PS3 and 360 versions? What signal would produce the best black levels: VGA (360) or HDMI (PS3)? (never thought I would ever ask a question like that)

R0nn said:
Any info on differences between the PS3 and 360 versions? What signal would produce the best black levels: VGA (360) or HDMI (PS3)? (never thought I would ever ask a question like that)

all i can say is i bought the ps3 version in the end. the thing i decided on was the sound.....
but it looks really really good.

Banned
I'm also quite curious about PS3/360. I plan on picking up the 360 one tomorrow as I hate using the PS3 sticks for anything precise like aiming, but the PS3's video output is usually better suited to darker games. (on the 360 details get swallowed up in the darkness)

Then again, if a developer compensates for the darker output on the 360 and doesn't fix it for the PS3, the games can appear washed out…

Has there been any comparisons done about visuals/performance yet? I realise a lot of people are saying it's very similar on both, but that's been said about lots of multiplatform games where it hasn't been the case.

From what I understand the loading is a little better on PS3 (does it have an install?) but I'll be able to make use of my 120gb drive and install it onto the 360 soon enough which will probably be quicker…

Haven't been this excited about a game for quite some time, which feels weird to say with it being an EA game (I can't think of the last one I bought that I enjoyed) but it sounds like almost everyone loves it, and the setting really appeals to me.

65536 said:
Has there been any comparisons done about visuals/performance yet? I realise a lot of people are saying it's very similar on both, but that's been said about lots of multiplatform games where it hasn't been the case.
yes, let me try and find it for you:

edit:
taken from gamespot forum:
Taken from IGN INSIDER:

Graphics
If there's one category that should matter most for a game like Dead Space it's the graphics. So which version is better? EA Redwood Shores has done an outstanding job of making sure the game looks and runs identically on both consoles. Dead Space is brought to life with an impressive lighting model, high-resolution textures, and a remarkably detailed character model for Isaac. The color palate is comparatively limited to the industrial grays and blacks of a futuristic space station, but the significant amount of environmental detail is always impressive.

The 360 and PS3 versions of the game are all but indistinguishable. There is a small difference in the ways each render color, but with Dead Space's flexible brightness customization, you should be able to get an equally impressive image with both versions. Dead Space doesn't always have the smoothest framerate. You'll notices some hitches if you make wide camera swings in new areas. There's also a bit of slowdown in some rooms with a lot of enemies. This happened in equal measure on both the 360 and PS3. Videophiles might have some issues with the slowdown, but I actually found it enhanced the play experience, exacerbating the sense of fear and helplessness. Finally, you'll get a terrifically detailed and atmospheric game on both consoles, neither is inherently better than the other.

Overall
1. Xbox 360 & PS3

Overall
EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.

head-to-head-dead-space-20081010-4.jpg

and a video: http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dead_space_dead_space_video_comparison.html?type=hi

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
glaurung said:
There's a comparison video done by some less known site: YouTube video

I tried to make out the differences, and honestly - I cannot see a single thing.
What CAN you see on Youtube?

glaurung

Seiken said:
What CAN you see on Youtube?

Hilarious cat videos and stupid people yawning to the rhythm of someone else's music.

No, seriously, at high quality and full screen that video is still pretty sharp.

The original HD video clip can be found here: LINK

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
glaurung said:
Hilarious cat videos and stupid people yawning to the rhythm of someone else's music.

No, seriously, at high quality and full screen that video is still pretty sharp.

The original HD video clip can be found here: LINK
Thanks for the link :)

Danielsan

65536 said:
I'm also quite curious about PS3/360. I plan on picking up the 360 one tomorrow as I hate using the PS3 sticks for anything precise like aiming, but the PS3's video output is usually better suited to darker games. (on the 360 details get swallowed up in the darkness)

Then again, if a developer compensates for the darker output on the 360 and doesn't fix it for the PS3, the games can appear washed out…

From what I understand the loading is a little better on PS3 (does it have an install?) but I'll be able to make use of my 120gb drive and install it onto the 360 soon enough which will probably be quicker…

Haven't been this excited about a game for quite some time, which feels weird to say with it being an EA game (I can't think of the last one I bought that I enjoyed) but it sounds like almost everyone loves it, and the setting really appeals to me.
The game controls fantasticly well on the PS3. I too wanted to buy the 360 version for the controls but because it isn't region free I went with the PS3 version. The team behind Dead Space made the PS3 controls work just as great as any 360 shooter would control. Seriously, not once did I feel that I might have been better off on the 360 controller.

There is no install.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
codecow said:
There is very little platform specific code that interprets the stick values; although since this particular module actually comes from the PS2 era it's more like we had the NGC and Xbox as re-mapped Dual Shock controllers and the same goes for the current stuff.

FWIW my personal preference is for the Dual Shock analog sticks, always has been. I think Dead Space controls great on both platforms but we certainly made an effort particularly with the button mapping on PS3 to "get things right". Placing the 'fire' button on PS3 was a point of controversy on the team right up until we shipped it.
I just finished the game.

I want to take a moment to say THANK YOU to EA Redwood for an amazingly realised game. The world you created and the atmosphere it conveyed, it was absolutely breathe-taking. Props to your art team. As far as the mechanics go, the action, the scenarios, the zero-g/vacuum stuff, the economy, the polish, the pacing, the enemy variety (although FYI I'm not a big fan of reskinning enemies and making them take more bullets to defeat ;) ), all of it was superb. I can't praise Dead Space enough. I'm really looking forward to see what's next for the team, you're officially on my radar now.

Oh and thanks to EA themselves, for actually taking a risk and investing lots of money in the project! I really hope Dead Space sells well enough to warrant a sequel, or at the very least warrant another big-budget for whatever EA Redwood do next.

Easily one of the best games I have played all year and up there with the best of the current generation.

KGKK

Banned
Rez>You said:
I just finished the game.

I want to take a moment to say THANK YOU to EA Redwood for an amazingly realised game. The world you created and the atmosphere it conveyed, it was absolutely breathe-taking. Props to your art team. As far as the mechanics go, the action, the scenarios, the zero-g/vacuum stuff, the economy, the polish, the pacing, the enemy variety (although FYI I'm not a big fan of reskinning enemies and making them take more bullets to defeat ;) ), all of it was superb. I can't praise Dead Space enough. I'm really looking forward to see what's next for the team, you're officially on my radar now.

Oh and thanks to EA themselves, for actually taking a risk and investing lots of money in the project! I really hope Dead Space sells well enough to warrant a sequel, or at the very least warrant another big-budget for whatever EA Redwood do next.

Easily one of the best games I have played all year and up there with the best of the current generation.

I wholly agree holmes:D

RoH

PC version here! First of the release delay of a week was not cool, but the game it self looks awesome!!! I'm using the N52Te with a custom dead space profile so the keyboard remapping issues are not a real problem for me. The only real complaint I have is about the mouse; it feels like it's stuck in goo while playing the game, mouse lag is some thing I really had to get used too.

Ferrio

Banned
I really wish this would come out on Steam.

When I'm wishy washy on a PC game, steam is the ultimate decider.

READ THIS EA, I'M MOST LIKELY TO IMPULSE BUY A GAME IF IT'S ON STEAM.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Pointy said:
Up to Chapter 4. Dead Space is fucking awesome. All these reviewers giving this game less than 9s are fucking retarded.
It's a taste thing I guess. If a reviewer for some reason doesn't buy into the world (which is debatably the strongest character in the game), then it might taint their whole experience.

A 6.5 on the other hand is pretty inexcusable. I wish I knew the reviewers name so that I can treat all his/her future reviews with a fair bit of cynicism.

PS3 or PC, god damnit can't decide. I can get the ps3 version for the similar price of a new pc game, and my 360 is too damn loud for this sort of title.

Yoshichan

AniHawk said:
So it's not as good as RE4?
It's not a RE4 but what the fuck, why must we compare all the time? It's good enough to buy it for full price.
fizzelopeguss said:
PS3 or PC, god damnit can't decide. I can get the ps3 version for the similar price of a new pc game, and my 360 is too damn loud for this sort of title.
PC version sucks apparently. Check the thread.

Yoshichan

Danielsan said:
I think it's way better but fuck who am I.
How can anything be "way better" if RE4's top 3 Game of the Everything :D

dk_

Wowow, EA has done a terrific job with Dead Space.

EA redeemed?

fizzelopeguss said:
Definitely PS3 verion. The PC version has major control issues...

AniHawk

dk_ said:

EA redeemed?

If Mirror's Edge delivers (and I really hope it does), EA will have launched 3 new critically-acclaimed IPs in a single year (Boom Blox, Mirror's Edge, and Dead Space). How many companies have done that recently?

MickeyKnox said:
This game is easily better than RE4, for the shooting mechanics alone.

The joke was that the marriage of Bioshock and RE4 would lead to a game of lesser quality than RE4.

Yoshichan

EDIT: Nevermind.

dk_

AniHawk said:
If Mirror's Edge delivers, EA will have launched 3 new critically-acclaimed IPs in a single year (Boom Blox, Mirror's Edge, and Dead Space). How many companies have done that recently?

The joke was that the marriage of Bioshock and RE4 would lead to a game of lesser quality than RE4.
Plus, they delivered the best football game this year with FIFA09.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MickeyKnox said:
This game is easily better than RE4, for the shooting mechanics alone.
I... disagree. But hey I love both games.

Broseybrose

dk_ said:

EA redeemed?

Definitely PS3 verion. The PC version has major control issues...
wrong answer. i have a gamepad and dont feel the need to use it. and if, for whatever reason, the PC controls bother you and you have a gamepad for your pc, you get the best of both worlds. because with a decent PC, the presentation is better than either console and this game is all about presentation and atmosphere.

Danielsan

I'm going for the 75 items in the safe trophy. So far I have over 40 items stashed away of which 12 are medium health packs. One thing's for sure, at the final chapter I won't be running out of health. :lol

dk_

Broseybrose said:
wrong answer. i have a gamepad and dont feel the need to use it. and if, for whatever reason, the PC controls bother you and you have a gamepad for your pc, you get the best of both worlds. because with a decent PC, the presentation is better than either console and this game is all about presentation and atmosphere.
I just said what almost every reviewer wrote. Maybe you sould try out your gamepad to see the difference.

fizzelopeguss said:
:lol Don't say that, just ordered the PS3 version.
Don't worry. You did the right thing...

Yoshichan

Okay guys... time to continue playing ;_;

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What the hell is the gripe with the PC version? I'm not having any mouse lag, as all I had to do was disable the in-game vsync and tune the mouse sensitivity. Zero lag I shit you not. Now when I first loaded the game up, the lag I experience while adjusting the settings @ 800x600 was frightening, but selecting my native res and adjusting the mouse sensitivity remedied that.

An awful port? Fucking nonsense. Madness.

The atmosphere in this game is so incredible. I don't deal well with horror, but it's still my favorite genre of movie and game. I'm literally ready to shat bricks everytime I turn a corner, but I see that as a testament to how well the game's designers did with the environment they've created.

a few hi-res pics; I took a few with FRAPS for those interested. even my laptop has yet to dip below 60fps.

Seiken said:
Okay guys... time to continue playing ;_;
i feel your pain

kuYuri

I finally got this game a few days ago and started playing a bit last night. It's fucking great already.

I don't have any sort of surround sound set-up, just a 32'' Samsung LCD, and I can tell the sound is so damn good the speakers vibrated on the TV. It was awesome.

Seriously, I wish I can go 5.1. ;_;

Top Bottom