• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Mohonky

After equipping the Elite suit I got to thinking......if they'd made the 360 custom armour a Master Chief outfit, replaced the creatures in here with The Flood (essentially they seem to be the same thing, even the variations of) and called the game Halo something or rather, I reckon it would have been the best Halo game yet.

Actually if you took the Halo franchise and turned it into a third person horror / thriller I dare say you have the ingredients right here in Dead Space. It'd be the perfect Halo title. Think about that one Microsoft.

Mohonky said:
After equipping the Elite suit I got to thinking......if they'd made the 360 custom armour a Master Chief outfit, replaced the creatures in here with The Flood (essentially they seem to be the same thing, even the variations of) and called the game Halo something or rather, I reckon it would have been the best Halo game yet.

Actually if you took the Halo franchise and turned it into a third person horror / thriller I dare say you have the ingredients right here in Dead Space. It'd be the perfect Halo title. Think about that one Microsoft.

The flood were always a bit like the Many from System Shock 2, and I've heard rumors Dead Space started out as a Shock game.

maxax

I FINALLY had time to play the first half hour of the game.
It's not scary (yet?) but it's intense and amazingly good looking.
It made me painfully realize how much I need an HDTV though. Already savin' up for it, holiday games avalanche isn't making it one bit easier, though. :(

Question: When and where can I first equip the DLC suit? I don't really want to, but I just wanted to check that it works. I didn't come across a shop yet, that'S where it is probably, right?

I'm excited to play more tonight. :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Damn I'm broke right now so I had to return Dead Space for Fable 2. I get paid next week so hopefully I can buy both, luckily I was playing the day the elite suit was free...idk I think it's not free any more.

Tidbits from a Glenn Schofield interview with Variety via Evil Avatar:
Variety said:
Some of you may just want to find out if there's any hot news, so here are the things revealed in these interviews that you might not already know, though honestly, I don't think any of this is actually surprising:

-Gibeau says there is a "sequel idea planned" for "Army of Two" and also for "Battlefield: Bad Company." Which is as close to saying there will indeed be an "Army of Two 2" ("Army of Three?" "Army of Two Squared?") and "Bad Company 2" as we'll probably get until the sequels are officially announced.

-Schofield confirms that EA is "talking to movie studios right now" about a "Dead Space" film. Of course, as I'm always preaching in here, most new videogames are talked about in Hollywood as movies. The question is whether a deal gets done. Variety is looking into that right now, rest assured.

-He also says that EA and a publishing partner are "talking about ['Dead Space'] novels" and that they're also looking into the possibility of "Dead Space" toys. (The perfect gift to mess up your favorite 5 year-old's mind this Christmas!)

-Schofield were pretty casual about mentioning that a "Dead Space" sequel is already in the works (though it could of course be cancelled in the unlikely event that the game bombs).

Egg Shen

Nemesis556 said:
This is definitely a SURVIVAL HORROR game. The HORROR isn't that great, though. The only things that've freaked me out are during the Medical Area. The head banger and the nurse are what I'm talking about - is there more freaky shit like that later on?
There are a few more things further on in that I thought were jump-worthy. You haven't seen all of the monsters yet, although the combat dulled some of the fear factor late in the game for me. But by that time, I already knew what I was fighting against. Or so I thought.

This is on my list to pick it up this weekend for the PC.

Obviously there's no plans of a Steam release are there guys?*

*Guys meaning the devs. ;-) Looking forward to tasty title. :D

Cornballer said:
Tidbits from a Glenn Schofield interview with Variety via Evil Avatar:

Nice!!

Mohonky

maxax said:
I FINALLY had time to play the first half hour of the game.
It's not scary (yet?) but it's intense and amazingly good looking.
It made me painfully realize how much I need an HDTV though. Already savin' up for it, holiday games avalanche isn't making it one bit easier, though. :(

Question: When and where can I first equip the DLC suit? I don't really want to, but I just wanted to check that it works. I didn't come across a shop yet, that'S where it is probably, right?

I'm excited to play more tonight. :D

Yeh at the shop, right down the bottom in the Items to Buy list.

Going back on this Halo thingy, it wouldn't surprise me if this was supposed to be a Shock like game, that would likely fit too.

However I actually like the sound of a game like this using the Halo universe. I'm not a big fan of Halo by any stretch of the imagination, I mean I've played all 3 and they are good but I'm not exactly a diehard fan, a grittier Halo in the vain of Dead Space though, that does sound appealing to me. The Flood and the enemies in this game are so damned similar right from the smaller little bubble like bastards that scurry about to the larger units that when shot explode and open up to reveal more of those scurrying pricks, then the half man half grotesque genetic mutant, it's all sort of there. Would be a good direction for a Halo off shoot.

As it stands though, EA have done a properly good game with Dead Space and they've impressed me this gen, Dead Space isn't just a good game in this genre it's a fucking great game full stop, it's definitely up there in the best games I've played, thoroughly enjoyable and with EA's deep coffers, this is the sort of thing EA should be churning out more often. Top quality games that are fun and in terms of quality control, very very slick. Even the way the menus pop up for the inventory as a hologram as with messages etc, it's a small touch but it just goes to show how genuinely well the game is thought out and executed.

No45

Dyno said:
I'm saving the cool-ass red Scorpion suit for when I play on Hard or Impossible. I couldn't help it, I broke down and bought it. Microtransations! You have me trapped in your nickle and diming ways.
This is free in the UK if you pre-order at GAME, just had my code turn up in my inbox. :)

mjc said:
Nope I went with the standard suit the whole game. I haven't even downloaded the Obsidian suit yet.
Isn't this DLC time limited, like for the first week or so of release? Or did I imagine that?

ChrisGoldstein said:
Damn I'm broke right now so I had to return Dead Space for Fable 2. I get paid next week so hopefully I can buy both, luckily I was playing the day the elite suit was free...idk I think it's not free any more.

I think if u are broke, renting makes sense of Dead Space. Its a really great game, but if u have the 10-12 hours it takes to finish it then its a game that I dont think needs to be played again. in fact it can spoil the atmosphere! remember being chased by the scary initial monsters when u have no gun? blam they are dead. :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Cornballer said:
-Schofield were pretty casual about mentioning that a "Dead Space" sequel is already in the works (though it could of course be cancelled in the unlikely event that the game bombs).

Whoot! I'd be open to a prequel in this game universe as well, showing us what happened with the colony. I'd love to play as Neumann.

luxarific said:
Whoot! I'd be open to a prequel in this game universe as well, showing us what happened with the colony. I'd love to play as Neumann.
newman.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WHAT THE FUCK? Is every chapter towards the end like 20 minutes long?

Because this 10-12 hour playthrough is bullshit beyond everything. I've played 5 hours and I'm on chapter 3 and I haven't died even once.

I'm starting to wonder if people play this game as if it was an action game ala RE4.

Tokubetsu

Seiken said:

Because this 10-12 hour playthrough is bullshit beyond everything. I've played 5 hours and I'm on chapter 3 and I haven't died even once.

I'm starting to wonder if people play this game as if it was an action game ala RE4.

Yeah, im already at 2 hours and I just started chapter 2. I'm surviving!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Seiken said:

Well, my first playthrough, getting most of the out of the way stuff and exploring places to find ammo, credits, etc. was about 8.5, maybe 9 hours.

But then again, I run all the time, so take that for what you will.

Cheech

Seiken said:

Yeah, the Chapters are all roughly equal in length IMO.

Mohonky

Seiken said:

Some chapters are definitely a little shorter. I purposefully goto doors that aren't a part of the Objective to make sure I get to see everything there is and collect as many upgrade nodes as possible but 9-10 hours seems a bout right. I'm on Chapter 12 now and I've got about 9hours logged according to my saves. Keeping in mind deaths etc I've probably spent more time that but I think the games a pretty good length and I'm enjoying running about the place trying to get as many items as possible.

Danielsan

Seiken said:

Yeah some people are probably rushing through. Then again, I'm also dying like crazy on hard. Stupid Devil May Cry/ Ninja Gaiden mentality of not wanting to use health packs. Result: 25 health packs in my safe. :lol
Some encounters do force me to use some extra health though. There is a barrack in chapter 10 (or 9?) that provided me with the most tense combat experience in the game. I was running out of ammo, out of health and getting attacked by 4-5 different types of enemies. I must have died at least 5 times. I had plenty of health packs but I still refused. :lol

Metroidvania said:
Well, my first playthrough, getting most of the out of the way stuff and exploring places to find ammo, credits, etc. was about 8.5, maybe 9 hours.

Ahh so that's it. I always walk gun drawn. I like to be prepared and I like to suck in the atmosphere, read some of the posters or just look with my jaw hanging on the floor.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Metroidvania said:

I have no idea how people are getting that unless they're just bolting across the nav line. I really took my time searching for items, logs, and absorbing the atmosphere.

Mohonky

Danielsan said:
Yeah some people are probably rushing through. Then again, I'm also dying like crazy on hard. Stupid Devil May Cry/ Ninja Gaiden mentality of no wanting to use health packs. Result: 25 health packs in my safe. :lol

Oh man I am terrible for this. I have a stupid amount of Health packs stored as well. I also have so much ammo for my larger weapons I don't actually know if I'll ever use it all. I always end up hoarding health and ammo for hard encounters but even then I would rather die than use those items 'just incase.' I think I did this sort of thing before Ninja Gaiden as well but certainly Ninja Gaiden didn't help me get over it. I am so afraid that there might be a bigger badder encounter round the corner that I usually go through entire games without experiencing some of the more devastating weapons.

Sydle

Just yesterday I watched the comic series...I want to play this so badly, but I'm not sure I'll make it through. I usually can't make it through even mildly scary games.

i think i've averaged nearly an hour per chapter so far... i spent almost exactly an hour on the first two chapters, and about an hour and a quarter on the last chapter... though i did do some major back tracking in two and three in order to unlock doors with nodes.

i've not been buying health or ammo, and i've been selling off excess health, oxygen and stasis things at the end of each chapter. i'm playing on hard. so far so good. i've died a handful of times in chapter 2 and chapter 3. add my vote to the pile of 'if you've played something like RE4 already you need to start this on hard'.

i don't run much unless i'm backtracking or desperately need to create distance to stay alive. making as much use of the explosive barrels as possible. using stasis a lot... and while i've only totally run out of ammo for everything once, i regularly find myself down to just one gun with ammo left.

i've upgraded all my guns a bit. i haven't upgraded my RIG at all yet with nodes, but i do have the level two rig. i'm rocking the cutter, the rifle and the line gun. the rifle is for emergencies and swarm, the line gun is for corridors and the cutter is for everything else.

it's definately worth exploring... i don't use the guide line much (and often when i do it's to see which way i'm not 'supposed' to go to check out things off the beaten path).

just following the guideline on normal i can see people beating it fast... espescially if they're using a dlc suit and ignoring all the locked doors.

my safe is totally empty. so far i've been finding enough health and ammo to keep me out of the red, and selling off whatever i have left over at the end of a chapter after healing myself up full.

Danielsan

RoboPlato said:
The upgradeless spaces to place nodes don't toward the fully upgrading everything trophy, right?
I don't think they do. For me it's a little mini game in itself to use as few nodes as possible to fully upgrade a weapon.

That reminds me. Can anyone explain Z-Ball to me. I finished the first level but the second level baffles me. There is no ball?

Egg Shen

RoboPlato said:
I have no idea how people are getting that unless they're just bolting across the nav line. I really took my time searching for items, logs, and absorbing the atmosphere.
It took me almost sixteen hours to get through myself, but I spent a lot of time exploring, picking up anything that couldn't be nailed down, running back and forth from the store to put away things, poking around levels for any other hidden goodies, opening every door I can find, and generally walking with my cutter drawn all of the time. Whenever I used the nav line, I usually went in the opposite direction to see what might be there. Exciting times.

Danielsan said:
I don't think they do. For me it's a little mini game in itself to use as few nodes as possible to fully upgrade a weapon.

That reminds me. Can anyone explain Z-Ball to me. I finished the first level but the second level baffles me. There is no ball?
If it gives you no ball, check to see if the ball from the last game is still floating around.

just a thought. i see a lot of people saying the game isn't particularly original. granted, i see that most people don't get, but for me Dead Space feels like a type of game we SHOULD have been getting for a while.

when RE4 came out, it totally reinvented survival horror. it was perhaps a bit too actiony, but i think Dead Space shows (with strafing and moving and shooting at the same time even) that RE4 style survival horror can indeed be scary. you can have great gameplay and frights. i find the dismembering gameplay incredibly tense, having to make each shot count, and having to adjust aim from limb to limb.

when Halo refreshed first person shooters with it's array of small but effective changes (recharging shield, insta nades, limit weapon set, powerful melee) everything started using that mix of gameplay elements. we don't call a game unoriginal for using the Halo template for FPS anymore. nor should we i don't think.

Dead Space is the first post RE4 game that seems to acknowledge all the ways that RE4 progressed the genre, where as most other survival horror titles have all but ignored the brilliant work Mikami did in bringing the genre leaps and bounds forwards. hopefully the success of Dead Space will CEMENT the new breed of survival horror while showing people that, yes, it can still be scary at the same time (of course it doesn't scare everyone... fear is pretty subjective, but i think most would agree that Dead Space is scarier than RE4).

i loved Silent Hill Homecoming, but playing Dead Space made me realise that it was a step backwards for the genre, at least compared to RE4. call that proper survival horror if you like. i'm not certain if i like Dead Space more yet (haven't finished it) but just looking at the gameplay mechanics and remember how much RE4 got right and how few games since have acknowledged that... i think Dead Space is a pretty important title in the genre for evolving the RE4 template.

even though i'm only a quarter of the way through Dead Space, i can't wait to see what they do with Dead Space 2.

Kadey said:
They should be highlighted in the store so you can change them, costing 0. I was changing back and forth between military and Scorpion.

I click the suit I want to revert to in the Store and it tells me "you already have this in your inventory". So im not sure what do to.

jmonteiro

Seiken said:

Just beat it last night and my play time was a little less than 12 hours. You going a little slower than me though. I remember I had a little over 3 hours at the end of chapter 3.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
McLovin said:
How does the PC version of Deadspace look compared to the ps3/360 versions? I already have it on ps3... kinda tempted to get the pc version too.
It looks good, like reaaaaly good. Check post #2999 some for my screenshots. And don't believe the hype on the controls being wonky. Instead of holding down the right mouse button to aim, you can press Caps Lock to toggle aim mode on/off.

I'll put up some more screens soon.

maxax

Onix said:
I'm glad to see this game really taking off at GAF :)
I normally don't care for sales numbers at all, but I really want to know how well this game does. It seems like it could be big

RavenFox

Banned
Egg Shen said:
It took me almost sixteen hours to get through myself, but I spent a lot of time exploring, picking up anything that couldn't be nailed down, running back and forth from the store to put away things, poking around levels for any other hidden goodies, opening every door I can find, and generally walking with my cutter drawn all of the time. Whenever I used the nav line, I usually went in the opposite direction to see what might be there. Exciting times.

Thats exactly how I'm playing. This game is like fine wine or a painting at the MET. You just don't guzzle th wine or glance at the paintings. You take your time and soak it all in.
For $59.99 plus tax its deserves my full attention.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Can't wait to dive into this game (assuming someone trades it to me for Fable II wink wink nudge nudge), how long are the free download suits valid for?

Cornballer said:
It's taking me about an hour per level so far (through lvl 5), but I'm taking my time and exploring a lot.
This is my situation as well. I'm enjoying cautiously creeping around every corner and checking every locker for anything that can help me out. I like this game a lot more than I thought I would. Currently at chapter 4.

Just finished the game, last boss was ridiculously easy, loved the game though. The best game I've played this year. Wasn't really scary at all, but the great atmosphere made up for that.

Broseybrose said:
wrong answer. i have a gamepad and dont feel the need to use it. and if, for whatever reason, the PC controls bother you and you have a gamepad for your pc, you get the best of both worlds. because with a decent PC, the presentation is better than either console and this game is all about presentation and atmosphere.

How is the presentation better? Just curious.

Raistlin

maxax said:
I normally don't care for sales numbers at all, but I really want to know how well this game does. It seems like it could be big

I hope so as well ... hopefully it will 'send the right message' to all involved (both at EA, as well as to other devs/publishers).

Zeliard

Danielsan said:
Chapter 10 is destroying me.
Why is that annoying unkillable shit back :(

Stasis that motherfucker, cut off his legs, kill other creatures while he lays there crippled, go back to him and cut off his arms, kill more creatures. Rinse and repeat.

The guy is easy if you just cripple the shit out of him and force him to
continually regenerate.

Danielsan

Zeliard said:
Stasis that motherfucker, cut off his legs, kill other creatures while he lays there crippled, go back to him and cut off his arms, kill more creatures. Rinse and repeat.

The guy is easy if you just cripple the shit out of him and force him to
continually regenerate.
Yeah that's pretty much my strategy but his little friends with the charred skin like to attack me from behind.

Top Bottom