• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Fady K

OK Im finally starting this game tonight - I watched all the animated comics again and theyre *amazing*. I hope the plot in the game is this intriguing.

GAF you better be right about this one :D Im read RE4xBioshock = Dead Space. Sounds too good to be true, but im pumped. ESPECIALLY when you guys relate it to System Shock 2.

mint

Banned
All you guys whining about PC gaming controls, are outdated.

They are perfectly fine. Just don't turn on vsync in the game (you can do it with your graphics card settings).

joelseph

fizzelopeguss said:
my 360 is too damn loud for this sort of title.

Someone should go back through the thread and count up how many times this statement has been uttered. Maybe then these people will start to realize it stems from these very boards and not reality.

Vangellis

HK-47 said:
Its about a 15-20 hour action game with multiple difficulties and a new game+ feature. So for an action game its long and it pretty damn good so you may want to replay it, if thats your sort of thing.

When you say 15-20 hours Im assuming you are talking about more than one playthrough? Cause Im on my first play through at chapter 11 with only 7 hours clocked.. and im on hard. Im not rushing, an amazing player, cheating, or using guides, etc, so it seems more like an 8-10 hour game... which is fine. Its all quality :p

Although I dont see myself playing it again on the impossible settting. There have been a few points later in the game where I wanted to scream lol. The game can get frustrating in the sequences where they overwhelm you with 5-6 monsters at a time, and then they add more. There is one area.. I think chapter 9 or 10 where I was thinking "are they fucking for real!!" but after I did it I had an awesome feeling. hahah but Im not doing that again.

joelseph said:
Someone should go back through the thread and count up how many times this statement has been uttered. Maybe then these people will start to realize it stems from these very boards and not reality.

All you have to do is use your imagination and pretend the 360 noise is just your suit's HVAC system doing it's thing to keep you alive.

Vangellis said:
When you say 15-20 hours Im assuming you are talking about more than one playthrough? Cause Im on my first play through at chapter 11 with only 7 hours clocked.. and im on hard. Im not rushing, an amazing player, cheating, or using guides, etc, so it seems more like an 8-10 hour game... which is fine. Its all quality :p

Although I dont see myself playing it again on the impossible settting. There have been a few points later in the game where I wanted to scream lol. The game can get frustrating in the sequences where they overwhelm you with 5-6 monsters at a time, and then they add more. There is one area.. I think chapter 9 or 10 where I was thinking "are they fucking for real!!" but after I did it I had an awesome feeling. hahah but Im not doing that again.

Is this game harder than Uncharted on crushing? I figured if I could manage to get through that without tearing a hole in the sofa I can do anything. :p I'm still waiting on this game because Amazon never shipped it to me and now it says not available ... ugh. Time to buy from blockbuster and return it if amazon ever comes through.

McLovin

How does the PC version of Deadspace look compared to the ps3/360 versions? I already have it on ps3... kinda tempted to get the pc version too.

Barrett2

Fady K said:
OK Im finally starting this game tonight - I watched all the animated comics again and theyre *amazing*. I hope the plot in the game is this intriguing.

GAF you better be right about this one :D Im read RE4xBioshock = Dead Space. Sounds too good to be true, but im pumped. ESPECIALLY when you guys relate it to System Shock 2.

This game is THE HOTNESS. Once I start playing it I can barely force myself to stop. You won't be disappointed.

codecow

Shins said:
Now I'm curious about why else I've been missing in the controls. It took me to chapter three to realize you could throw objects with kinesis by pressing L1.

I thought I was so astute about reading those on-screen guides. :- (

"Not a lot of people know this but..." - Nicko McBrain Iron Maiden 1st 10 Years Boxed Set

In the inventory screen you can re-assign where your weapons go on the DPAD instead of letting the game pick.

codecow

Danielsan said:
Didn't know we had a Dead Space developer on the board. Excellent work on the game, I hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel. ;)

There are actually a couple lurking here, neogaf <3

codecow

MorisUkunRasik said:
Devs should take note, R1 > R2 for shooting. Congratulations on the success of DS.

Haha...

A couple other programmers on the team were begging me to change it even on the last day before submitting the title for certification. Someone on the forum should start a thread about R1 > R2 so there is some evidence I can take into design meetings.

Mental note: re-assigning capability would also be good.

Fady K

lawblob said:
This game is THE HOTNESS. Once I start playing it I can barely force myself to stop. You won't be disappointed.

Thing is, i fell in love with the atmosphere in the freakin animated comics :lol And I love sci-fi horror, love love love love love. The Thing, Event Horizon, Alien, etc. So im really hyped. Few hours and ill be starting :D

Anyone watch the animated feature btw? Downfall?

BeeDog

WTF, my copy shipped today, hopefully I'll have it until tomorrow or I will have to wait until Monday to play this game. :mad:

Danielsan

codecow said:
Haha...

A couple other programmers on the team were begging me to change it even on the last day before submitting the title for certification. Someone on the forum should start a thread about R1 > R2 so there is some evidence I can take into design meetings.

Who is his right mind would think that squishy R2 button would be better than the R1 button for shooting. Thanks for preventing your team from making a huge mistake. :D

Rlan

Just finished Chapter 2. Loving it so far.

Though for some reason during the second chapter it refused to allow me to use the cutter / first main weapon, claiming to be empty but not letting me pick up any more ammo. Not allowing me to buy it from the store either, not until nearing the end of this chapter.

What was going on here?

Returners

codecow said:
Haha...

To me it would all be based on the game, fast paced games or games that require twitch action shooting should have "shoot" mapped on R1 (games like resistance & Dead Space). I like my tactical action shooting games (like RB6 & CoD4) to be on the R2 instead. But yeah, you guys made a good choice. You need to shoot and shoot quick too.

This game is awesome.

GuessWho

codecow said:
Haha...

whoever wanted R2 for shooting should definitely get a slap in the face. Thank you for not letting that happen.

linsivvi

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Is this game harder than Uncharted on crushing? I figured if I could manage to get through that without tearing a hole in the sofa I can do anything. :p I'm still waiting on this game because Amazon never shipped it to me and now it says not available ... ugh. Time to buy from blockbuster and return it if amazon ever comes through.

Oh definitely. In Uncharted you never run out of ammo, and you get all your health back. Here, resource is scarce in impossible. Even the weakest monsters take 4-5 shots to kill with a max cutter. There are certain situations where you need to run away to save ammo, or rely on stasis to keep you alive. Uncharted on crushing isn't too hard once you know how to cheat the AI.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
All you have to do is use your imagination and pretend the 360 noise is just your suit's HVAC system doing it's thing to keep you alive.

Yeah plus it adds an extra level of tension. Never sure when that 360 is going to explode and send a disc towards my face. Keeps you on edge.

(Yeah I really need to get something besides a launch model 360)

codecow said:
There are actually a couple lurking here, neogaf <3

Can't thank you guys enough for Dead Space. Pure sci-fi titles like these are extremely rare it seems. Just you, a deserted mining ship and the cold, dark void. I fucking love it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just called my store and they got it in
2u8gtid.gif

Finally playing it tonight

Dyno

The game has some nice tricks to exploit just like RE4 did.

If you buy a capacity upgrade for your weapons the bench is nice enough to give you a full magazine. Great for when your favorite weapon is empty.

Same goes with hit points. I fill in the node spaces of my rig in so that the extra hit point node is ready to go. Then, when I'm really low on hit points I hit a bench and pop the node in. Free full health.

I'm on Chapter Nine and haven't bought health or ammo thus far. It has gotten plenty tight tons of times. I'm firing a weapon three times, run out of ammo, pull up the next one, fire two more shots, got to switch again. It is fucking glorious!

I'm playing on Medium with the Obsidian suit. With my no buying health or ammo policy it's providing a great level of challenge. I'm glad the free PS3 suit is weaker than upgrading the original. I have a Level 2 protection suit with five rows of slots (not that they ever get all used) and so the relatively meagre bonus it provides does not make it easy at all. Plus, the black suit looks fucking wicked in the various types of lighting.

And holy shit, what kind of insane ship designer thought up some of these rooms and corridors. Sometimes I'm walking around thinking "no human could remain sane it they worked in this place."

I will definately replay this game all different kinds of ways, using the various suits, weapons, and difficulties. What a fucking masterpiece!

linsivvi

You know what would be awesome as a DLC? A survival mode where you can go to anywhere in the ship, with all rooms unlocked and an online ranking. That would make me play the game over and over again.

GuessWho

Dyno said:
I'm playing on Medium with the Obsidian suit. With my no buying health or ammo policy it's providing a great level of challenge. I'm glad the free PS3 suit is weaker than upgrading the original.

WHAT?!! I'm FUCKED. How much weaker?

RavenFox

Banned
Rlan said:
Just finished Chapter 2. Loving it so far.

Though for some reason during the second chapter it refused to allow me to use the cutter / first main weapon, claiming to be empty but not letting me pick up any more ammo. Not allowing me to buy it from the store either, not until nearing the end of this chapter.

What was going on here?
Could be your inventory was full and you didn't hold L1 & X.

Dyno

GuessWho said:
WHAT?!! I'm FUCKED. How much weaker?

The Obsidian suit gives you 10% armour. If you use your credits to upgrade the standard suit you start with, you can get it up to 25% armour by games end. Once you put on a special suit you are stuck with it for the game.

Playing on medium with the Obsidian suit is fun though. For me it's a nice level of challenge my first time through. Plus I get to take all the credits I saved from having to upgrade the suit and buy more nodes, so my weapons get more powerful. It's a question of playing an offensive or defensive purchasing strategy.

Plus, as I mentioned before, the black suit is metal as fuck. Seeing as your going to be looking at this guy's rig for 15 hours you may as well look slick from the get-go.

I'm saving the cool-ass red Scorpion suit for when I play on Hard or Impossible. I couldn't help it, I broke down and bought it. Microtransations! You have me trapped in your nickle and diming ways.

Dyno said:
I'm saving the cool-ass red Scorpion suit for when I play on Hard or Impossible. I couldn't help it, I broke down and bought it. Microtransations! You have me trapped in your nickle and diming ways.

You are part of the problem.

JRW

Broseybrose said:
wrong answer. i have a gamepad and dont feel the need to use it. and if, for whatever reason, the PC controls bother you and you have a gamepad for your pc, you get the best of both worlds. because with a decent PC, the presentation is better than either console and this game is all about presentation and atmosphere.

The presentation on Xbox360 version is a lot more impressive on my 50" Plasma & 7.1 home theater surround than it is on my PC on a 24" Monitor and Logitech 5.1 Z5500 audio.

Depends on the setup.

RavenFox

Banned
Dyno said:
The Obsidian suit gives you 10% armour. If you use your credits to upgrade the standard suit you start with, you can get it up to 25% armour by games end. Once you put on a special suit you are stuck with it for the game.

Playing on medium with the Obsidian suit is fun though. For me it's a nice level of challenge my first time through. Plus I get to take all the credits I saved from having to upgrade the suit and buy more nodes, so my weapons get more powerful. It's a question of playing an offensive or defensive purchasing strategy.

Plus, as I mentioned before, the black suit is metal as fuck. Seeing as your going to be looking at this guy's rig for 15 hours you may as well look slick from the get-go.

uhmm thats not true. Obsidian suit upgrade to lvl 6. Remember the Obisidian is a lvl 5 suit. watch in high quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3UJkXui_t0

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Returners said:
Doom 3 + System Shock 2 + Resident Evil 4 = Dead Space

That's cool as long as you don't get re-spawning enemies that appear behind you like they did in doom 3, ruined the whole game for me that did :-(.

Mohonky

Holy shit that obsidian suit is awesome. Why can't I get these on my Xbox360? I know there are custom suits but I can't find them on Marketplace (Australia).

Oh ok so they are up now. Hmm...hope I don't need to start a new game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lowrider007 said:
That's cool as long as you don't get re-spawning enemies that appear behind you like they did in doom 3, ruined the whole game for me that did :-(.

i actually wish that the vents respawned enemies. Then you wouldnt feel safe going back through areas you just cleared

Returners

lowrider007 said:

well the doom 3 comparison is the setting and the interface... I remember being very impressed with Doom 3's interface.

mjc

HK-47 said:
What difficulty where you playing on? On medium I was able to fully upgrade the RIG, Kinesis, Stasis, Line Gun and Plasma Cutter and start on the Force Gun

Force Gun rocks by the way but Line Gun + Plasma Cutter is best on first playthrough I think. Lets you concentrate on upgrades for only two weapons and makes ammo easier to manage

I played through on medium I think. I made sure to check every corner I could so I wouldn't miss any nodes, and I only used a couple on those sealed doors that you can sacrifice them for.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mjc said:
I played through on medium I think. I made sure to check every corner I could so I wouldn't miss any nodes, and I only used a couple on those sealed doors that you can sacrifice them for.

Really? I dont think I missed a node door either. What did you use your money on?

mjc said:

Did you use one of the DLC suits? I used the Obsidian suit the whole game and it's possible the credits saved helped me out a ton (I was able to max out the same items as the above poster). That and the fact that I almost never actually paid for ammo, and never for health.

mjc

I think I bought more weapons than I really needed and that hurt me later on because the ammo I found was so varied I had to buy more from the store. I was able to upgrade my suit to level 5 and I maxed it out completely. Other than that my plasma cutter was the only weapon I really made headway on with nodes.

mjc

Valkyr Junkie said:
Did you use one of the DLC suits? I used the Obsidian suit the whole game and it's possible the credits saved helped me out a ton (I was able to max out the same items as the above poster). That and the fact that I almost never actually paid for ammo, and never for health.

Nope I went with the standard suit the whole game. I haven't even downloaded the Obsidian suit yet.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
leaving for home tomorrow after a long vacation in minneapolis/st. paul. can't wait to get home and get back to dismembering me some aleenz. dead space became one of the factors that got mixed into that big miasma that started in the middle of the night and turned into homesickness.

Nemesis_

Playing on Hard with the Elite Suit thinking it would make the game easier and it's STILL FUCKING HARD! I'm running around with absolutely no ammo looking for a save point or even a FUCKING STORE.

This is definitely a SURVIVAL HORROR game. The HORROR isn't that great, though. The only things that've freaked me out are during the Medical Area. The head banger and the nurse are what I'm talking about - is there more freaky shit like that later on?

mjc said:
Nope I went with the standard suit the whole game. I haven't even downloaded the Obsidian suit yet.

Well if you bought each level of the regular suit, that's probably 100k credits at least. Quite a few power nodes worth.

glad I stuck with the game till the end, thought the gameplay was excellent all way through and they mixed things up nicely, I especially liked
the fast guys on statis boosts
some really great weapon variety too offering very different advantages/disadvantages. they got the length about right, because by the end of the game I felt that I had played it enough. dont think will play again as I got kind of tired of fighting similar enemies after 12+ hours, as great fun as they were.

its well worth checking out the logs u get after finishing, some really interesting back story that really hits at some epic future gameplay and storytelling
especially the black marker

the 'twist' was completely not a surprise to me, since I saw one of their first developer interviews a long time back
the way your girlfriend says she sorry, and the sad tone of her voice, made me think right from the beginning she was dead and it was his last record of her. I got super crazy suspicious too when you meet for real in person and u dont even hug? have tons and tons of questions? I mean it was the love of his life

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Nemesis556 said:
Playing on Hard with the Elite Suit thinking it would make the game easier and it's STILL FUCKING HARD! I'm running around with absolutely no ammo looking for a save point or even a FUCKING STORE.

This is definitely a SURVIVAL HORROR game. The HORROR isn't that great, though. The only things that've freaked me out are during the Medical Area. The head banger and the nurse are what I'm talking about - is there more freaky shit like that later on?

yeah, hard definitely challenged me initially (see my first gameplay impressions for proof--i was struggling). but i opted not to use the suit on my first time through, just to play it how the team balanced it to be played fairly. it's been masterful thus far (on chapter 4 when last i played, i think)

Top Bottom