• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I had trouble when I started my first game on hard during the first chapter, I was screaming FUUUUCK enough to make my fiancee laugh at my effort. It was funny because I was yelling "This is fucking impossible!!!" and she said, "Well they wouldn't have made it this way if it wasn't possible, remember when you were fighting that old guy (referring to the retarded fist fight at the end of MGS4, which I was also howling over)? You beat that eventually didn't you?" It seems she only pays attention to my games when I'm getting pissed. :lol

Also, she thinks Isaac's breathing when he's hurt sounds like somebody farting in a toilet. Hearing her laugh across the room over this when I'm all tense about being close to death ruins the atmosphere.

Anyway, I digress... you eventually "get used" to the way you have to play the game on hard, and I found that forgetting you have the stasis module is usually the cause of most of my deaths. I'm finding that using stasis is the only way to survive encounters where there are more than 2 monsters coming at you in close quarters. At least at the beginning when you're weak.

Oh Christ, don't remind me. Horrible bossfight.

As for those close encounters, I find that the seconday fire mode on the pulse rifle works extraordinary well. It's like swinging a scythe around.

Barrett2

Anyone else feel this is a close contender for GOTY?

I really can't believe how much fun I am having with this game, it is such a solid product. Granted, I haven't finished yet, but so far I am blown away.

Danielsan

lawblob said:

I really can't believe how much fun I am having with this game, it is such a solid product. Granted, I haven't finished yet, but so far I am blown away.
The game keeps never drops in quality. The final chapter blew me away.

Wark

Danielsan said:

Well, that's good to hear. I'm on chapter five and I'm loving every bit of the game so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
The final chapter, or rather
the environment it was in and the fantastic visuals[/spoiler got me excited to see what EA Redwood are going to do when they're not "confined"(in a manner of speaking, don't get me wrong I love DS's setting) to a space ship.

Rez>You said:
The final chapter, or rather
the environment it was in and the fantastic visuals[/spoiler got me excited to see what EA Redwood are going to do when they're not "confined"(in a manner of speaking, don't get me wrong I love DS's setting) to a space ship.
Awesome use of spoiler mate. :lol

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I just got this game yesterday. I'm at the beginning of level 4 medium setting. What do you guys suggest I spend the power nodes on. Ive been using them entirely on stasis and my rig. I've completely ignored spending any nodes on my weapon and kinesis. Am I doing it rite?

Zeliard

Days like these... said:
I just got this game yesterday. I'm at the beginning of level 4 medium setting. What do you guys suggest I spend the power nodes on. Ive been using them entirely on stasis and my rig. I've completely ignored spending any nodes on my weapon and kinesis. Am I doing it rite?

You're gonna want to put some nodes into a couple of your most-used weapons, especially in damage. Makes you a lot more efficient at dismembering with the ones that can.

I went through medium difficulty and completely ignored Rig, and had a relatively easy time. Didn't put a single node in it. I maxed out Stasis, which is tremendously useful, and put nodes into other weapons like the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter and the Force Gun. Didn't upgrade Kinesis at all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd imagine the 'upgrade everything' achievement must be quite a bitch. The power nodes aren't exactly all over the place. I'd imagine it'd take at least a few playthroughs to get that.

ultron87

Zeliard said:
You're gonna want to put some nodes into a couple of your most-used weapons, especially in damage. Makes you a lot more efficient at dismembering with the ones that can.

I went through medium difficulty and completely ignored Rig, and had a relatively easy time. Didn't put a single node in it. I maxed out Stasis, which is tremendously useful, and put nodes into other weapons like the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter and the Force Gun. Didn't upgrade Kinesis at all.

I think upgrading Kinesis is the biggest waste of a node ever. It's range is already quite obnoxiously long.
Though it would make zero-g basketball easier...

ultron87 said:
I think upgrading Kinesis is the biggest waste of a node ever. It's range is already quite obnoxiously long.
Though it would make zero-g basketball easier...
i haven't tested it yet, but i'd imagine it's the range of the throw rather than it's reach to pick stuff up that gets upgraded.

ultron87

plagiarize said:
i haven't tested it yet, but i'd imagine it's the range of the throw rather than it's reach to pick stuff up that gets upgraded.

Hmm, I guess that would make more sense. Even then it's probably not the best use of your node.

RavenFox

Banned
ultron87 said:
Hmm, I guess that would make more sense. Even then it's probably not the best use of your node.

the reach has helped me get objects that would be otherwise hard to get if it wasnt upgraded

Mohonky

Darunia said:
I'd imagine the 'upgrade everything' achievement must be quite a bitch. The power nodes aren't exactly all over the place. I'd imagine it'd take at least a few playthroughs to get that.

Not really. The achievement definitely is one that requires multiple play throughs, but once you have gone through the game once the second time it should be fairly easy, just sell ammo for guns or stasis units you aren't using and purchase the nodes. I had over 100k worth of credits at one point and near maxxed out one gun from just purchasing nodes that way. As it is I have 3 weapons maxed out before finishing the game even once. Now I also have all 6 suit upgrades, I'm not saving credit for those upgrades.

Xater

Finished the game today and I loved it. One of my favortie games from this year so far. Can't wat for the next EA Redwood game which will probably be Dead Space 2.

Flock said:
The game is great, but i'm to much of a pussy to play this on hard. I tried, but tomorrow i'm starting on medium.

I was disappointed to learn after starting that playing the game on hard pretty much does nothing for you in the achievement/trophy department as it did in uncharted. It almost seems that playing thorugh the first time on easy is the best bet in terms of trophy whoring but I'm sure it kills a lot of what the game is about if your first playthrough is a cakewalk.

Tarin02543

Well since today is launch day for Dead Space I quickly went to my favourite game store after work only to find out the retail price is 69.99 euro. As much as I'd like to explore a dark and abandonded star ship I find that price way too expensive.

Time to wip out my visa and find a cheap online store.

Baron

There have been questions asked about the DLC suits - I put on the Obsidian suit and was able to change to the Scorpion suit, and back to the Obsidian suit, and so on. I think the game allows you to upgrade or "side"-grade to a suit if it is the same level or higher than the one you are currently wearing, but not to downgrade to a lesser suit. Also, a keen eye will show you that the Obsidian suit has a 10% armor rating while the Scorpion suit has a 25% armor rating. They both have all available inventory slots open, so clearly the Scorpion is the better of the two. And from what I've read, I believe you can upgrade to the military suit awarded at the end of the game while wearing either of the DLC suits.

Spent some time with the game last night and up to Ch. 6 (at
4/8 targets terminated in the arboretum-like area
).

-- Love the standard cutter weapon. It has the subwoofer-pleasing aural punch of a shotgun yet you can precisely aim (smooth as always on Xbox analog sticks) and dismember limbs far off in the distance. See that limb sticking up on that creature across that chasm, like a hair standing up...bam!

-- Playing Medium first-time through and using the Xbox Elite suit and doing One Gun as I expect no real problems. Some challenge, especially when first meeting certain new enemies. But moving at a quick pace with a lot of $$ to spend (already covered the $300K and all weapons--stored away--Achievements).

-- Replay guaranteed not just for eventual Impossible run, but I won't even be personally seeing what any other gun can do until after this first run.

Overall, very impressive game and production values in equal quantity and quality.

Tarin02543 said:
Well since today is launch day for Dead Space I quickly went to my favourite game store after work only to find out the retail price is 69.99 euro. As much as I'd like to explore a dark and abandonded star ship I find that price way too expensive.

Time to wip out my visa and find a cheap online store.

videogamesplus.ca 42 euros shipped (ps3 version)

lawblob said:

Single player, most definitely. But Left 4 Dead has a good chance of topping it. Seeing as it combines four of my favorite things: Valve, zombies, a very solid engine and co-op.

Draft

Darunia said:
Looking at my upgrade level after about 1 and 1 half run throughs, I imagine I will be fully upgraded within the first two chapters of my third run.

At chapter 6, second playthrough, I have maxed the ripper, the pulse rifle, the charge up sniper thing, stasis, the rig, and kinesis. So I have like 4 weapons to start maxing.

jmonteiro

BuckRobotron said:
Spent some time with the game last night and up to Ch. 6 (at
4/8 targets terminated in the arboretum-like area
).

-- Love the standard cutter weapon. It has the subwoofer-pleasing aural punch of a shotgun yet you can precisely aim (smooth as always on Xbox analog sticks) and dismember limbs far off in the distance. See that limb sticking up on that creature across that chasm, like a hair standing up...bam!

-- Playing Medium first-time through and using the Xbox Elite suit and doing One Gun as I expect no real problems. Some challenge, especially when first meeting certain new enemies. But moving at a quick pace with a lot of $$ to spend (already covered the $300K and all weapons--stored away--Achievements).

-- Replay guaranteed not just for eventual Impossible run, but I won't even be personally seeing what any other gun can do until after this first run.

Overall, very impressive game and production values in equal quantity and quality.

Contact ammo sells for 1k and the game drops ammo based on the weapons you carry so I suggest you to carry the contact gun and sell all the contact ammo that drops. By the end of the game you will be rich :D

Just make sure not to fire it.

joesmokey

So it seems PC version controls just depend on how much you are able to fine tune your mouse settings?

I can't decide between either of the versions D:. I was waiting to go with the PC version to amp up the resolution, but comments in this thread vary greatly.

So it's seeming to me that most of the weapons in the game are pretty much redundant. Is there really any point to carrying the flamethrower around, for example?

Draft

ScrabbleBanshee said:
So it's seeming to me that most of the weapons in the game are pretty much redundant. Is there really any point to carrying the flamethrower around, for example?
Redundant is a fair way to describe them, but I think the intent is that every weapon is useful in all situations, and so you could theoretically beat the game using only one single weapon, if you chose.

However, I do agree that some weapons are simply not as useful as others. The flame thrower and the charge up gun both seem very specialized, and therefore kind of useless in some situations.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
i hear it's really good at killing swarms. i can believe it. they can be a bitch to kill without it (though explosive cannisters are a good substitute if you have one to hand). i don't fancy wasting a few dozen cutter rounds on a swarm.

the charge up gun was hella powerful against
leviathon
in chapter six. the alt can be useful if you get cornered too.

plagiarize said:
i hear it's really good at killing swarms. i can believe it. they can be a bitch to kill without it (though explosive cannisters are a good substitute if you have one to hand). i don't fancy wasting a few dozen cutter rounds on a swarm.
I've been doing one-gun so far, and the swarms are a pain in the ass. Explosive canisters or stasis are the way to go.

Just finished chapter 9 last night. This is probably one of the most intense gaming experiences I have ever had. This is the first game that literally made me jump out of my seat from the scares. The game spaces the intense jolting scares out just enough that while I know they are coming, but I never know exactly when. It's keeping me on edge the whole time.

This is easily my GOTY thus far.

It is like the developers took my favorite movie of all time (Event Horizon) and made a game based on it.

newsguy

Well, I finally got some good, hard time with it. I avoided all spoilers so I'm sure this has been mentioned here many times. Chapter 4
when you first enter that huge room and there are asteroids, a huge planet, the sun. O M F G. It could be the most beautiful scene in a game EVER. All I could think of was the film Sunshine. Once again, holy fucking shit.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
joesmokey said:
So it seems PC version controls just depend on how much you are able to fine tune your mouse settings?
Not really. There's a mouse sensitivity setting in the game's menu; just turn it up higher.

newsguy said:
Well, I finally got some good, hard time with it. I avoided all spoilers so I'm sure this has been mentioned here many times. Chapter 4
when you first enter that huge room and there are asteroids, a huge planet, the sun. O M F G. It could be the most beautiful scene in a game EVER. All I could think of was the film Sunshine. Once again, holy fucking shit.

Yep. This is one of those games that if exclusive to one system the fanchildren of said system would be using it to pimp that console's supposed graphical superiority.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's probably been mentioned already, but:

Dead Space's italian version features Dario Argento as the narrator/doc voice.
He also talked about videogames in a radio interview and in-talk of a possibile involvement for a sequel/new project but I guess you people wouldn't give a shit do you? :lol

newsguy

BuckRobotron said:
Yep. This is one of those games that if exclusive to one system the fanchildren of said system would be using it to pimp that console's supposed graphical superiority.

Oh absolutely. This game screams big budget, high polish. I was scared most of the night, yet I still had a Kool-Aid smile just taking in the atmosphere. I found myself constantly remembering these awesome Sci-Fi space films with every new chapter. For a game that's been called highly derivative, it does all of those things so, so well that it feels like it's perfected each little thing it's copied.

Cornballer said:
I've been doing one-gun so far, and the swarms are a pain in the ass. Explosive canisters or stasis are the way to go.

Yeah the little swarm things are pretty much the only problem I think. How do you take care of them with stasis? Freeze and then stomp?

Zeliard

Dash Kappei said:
It's probably been mentioned already, but:

Dead Space's italian version features Dario Argento as the narrator/doc voice.
He also talked about videogames in a radio interview and in-talk of a possibile involvement for a sequel/new project but I guess you people wouldn't give a shit do you? :lol

I give a shit. Argento narrates the Italian version? That's some holy fuck material right there.

Fallout-NL said:
Yeah the little swarm things are pretty much the only problem I think. How do you take care of them with stasis? Freeze and then stomp?
Yup, freeze then stomp. A couple times I just ran past them after using statis and didn't bother stomping if I knew I wasn't going back into that particular area later.

Fallout-NL said:

Stasis the whole batch and stomp them. It looks like it isn't doing anything, but after stasis breaks all those you stomped will simultaneously die. If not all, I just let a couple stragglers catch and throw them off with A for minimal damage and move on.

BuckRobotron said:

I don't know. I don't find the graphics particularly groundbreaking. They are well done, and well polished but they are still fairly small enclosed areas and the enemies are always few on the screen at any given time and pretty low poly.

Somebody has to say that dirty word at some point in this thread. Uncharted is still more impressive in this department, IMO.

Danielsan

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I don't know. I don't find the graphics particularly groundbreaking. They are well done, and well polished but they are still fairly small enclosed areas and the enemies are always few on the screen at any given time and pretty low poly.

Somebody has to say that dirty word at some point in this thread. Uncharted is still more impressive in this department, IMO.
Not really. Some areas are pretty damn big. The lighting is phenomenal and the textures are high quality 95% of the time. Uncharted may get the edge (though it has lower poly enemies I think) but Dead Space had more wow moments, especially the bridge and the areas in Chapter 12 come to mind. A stunner of a game and it blows anything on the Unreal Engine to bits in my opinion.

ScrabbleBanshee said:

True, but it has a nice way of combining all its modest features and coming up with a pretty good looking overall picture.

Danielsan said:
A stunner of a game and it blows anything on the Unreal Engine to bits in my opinion.

No reason to start pushing it. Gears of War is still the best looking game around in my opinion. Some of the architecture in that second chapter (pitch black or nightfall I think?) is simply stunning and the pretty rock solid framerate's gotta count for something.

RPS37

Tokubetsu said:
Am I the only one who likes Issac's character design? I find myself just spinning the camera around under cool lighting just to look at the suit. :lol

After I put on the Elite suit last night, I was staring at Isaac half the time.
It looks way cooler because it's silver instead of like...brown.
I bet the Obsidian suit looks sick too...it's like black.

f@luS

More than a member.
Should i get the PC or console version? my rig can easily handle it, and i have a 360 controller on my pc....what should i do?

newsguy

f@luS said:
Should i get the PC or console version? my rig can easily handle it, and i have a 360 controller on my pc....what should i do?

Do you have an option for 5.1 sound? It makes a night and day difference.

Top Bottom