• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

TP

dk_ said:
So it's a one hit kill (on hard)?

When do you get the laser?

No I remember around three hits to take out a black necro ( I had upgraded it too)
but if all your enemies are next to each other you can save a lot of ammo and gain a lot of laughs

Sorry but I don't remember exactly where the Contact Beam is
but I remember using it in Chapter 6

Tokubetsu

Am I the only one who likes Issac's character design? I find myself just spinning the camera around under cool lighting just to look at the suit. :lol

TP

Tokubetsu said:
Am I the only one who likes Issac's character design? I find myself just spinning the camera around under cool lighting just to look at the suit. :lol

I like it too, but I click the right thumbstick then pan the camera near his hand
so cool

Zeliard

Jeo said:
I like it too, but I click the right thumbstick then pan the camera near his hand
so cool

I do that too, really pretty with the blue light reflecting off him.

The lighting in this game is just fucking amazing.

BeeDog

DiddyBop said:
glad this game turned out great. gaf seems to approve of this new ip by ea. will pick it up once it hits 40 bucks.

You need GAF to approve of a new IP before you buy the game? You must buy one game every 6 years then. :lol

Baron

Why are there people in this thread freaking out about not getting every text or audio log they see? Do you get some awesome reward for picking them all up or something? I've already missed several, according the faq I've looked at.

Baron said:
Why are there people in this thread freaking out about not getting every text or audio log they see? Do you get some awesome reward for picking them all up or something? I've already missed several, according the faq I've looked at.
You get a trophy/achievement for picking up a few and then another once you get the majority. There's no reward for getting every single one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MorisUkunRasik said:
You get a trophy/achievement for picking up a few and then another once you get the majority. There's no reward for getting every single one.

Other than story info.

The background logs you get as a reward for beating the game are awesome

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Tokubetsu said:
I've always thought he looks badass in a spooky, passive sort of way. He's just a miner, and we never see his face, but thanks to the design they've given him an awful lot of character.

Can't wait to get this.

itxaka

Defeatist
B-Genius said:
I've always thought he looks badass in a spooky, passive sort of way. He's just a miner, and we never see his face, but thanks to the design they've given him an awful lot of character.

Can't wait to get this.

But are we sure he is a miner?

There is an achievement for completing the game on hard that is " Epic Tier 3 Engineer" so I asummed he is an engineer with a hazard environment suit.

Quick question.....

I have the Obsidian Suit equipped (and love it). If I buy the Scorpion Suit from the PSN can I equip it next time I find a shop? (even though I'm already wearing the Obsidian?)

LOVE this game!!

Danielsan

itxaka said:
But are we sure he is a miner?

There is an achievement for completing the game on hard that is " Epic Tier 3 Engineer" so I asummed he is an engineer with a hazard environment suit.
Yeah it's a common mistake. Isaac is an Engineer. The Ishamura is a mining ship. I love the way Isaac's suit looks, I too keep spinning around the camera and look at the beautiful lighting reflecting on Isaac's suit.

KurowaSan

Twicenightly said:
Quick question.....

I have the Obsidian Suit equipped (and love it). If I buy the Scorpion Suit from the PSN can I equip it next time I find a shop? (even though I'm already wearing the Obsidian?)

LOVE this game!!

kinda wanna know as well, I just got the game, and I don't know what to do. Other than the looks, does wearing a different suit do anything special? I think I read something about it giving you more space for items?, but I want to be sure.

KurowaSan said:
kinda wanna know as well, I just got the game, and I don't know what to do. Other than the looks, does wearing a different suit do anything special? I think I read something about it giving you more space for items?, but I want to be sure.

The Obsidian suit is tougher and has loads more inventory slots. I heard (maybe read in this thread) that the Scorpion suit is tougher than the Obsidian so I wouldn't mind giving that a try too but don't know whether I can now I'm wearing the Obsidian

KurowaSan said:

Different suits have different numbers of inventory slots and give you better defense against attacks. I think the suits affects how much oxygen you have too.

I love this game. It's one of the biggest surprises for me this year.

damn,.. just walked in to a room full of space zombies and i'm out of ammo.....
back tracking to a store or looking for ammo there.... i'll get them though

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I saw somebody mention this elsewhere but if you look at the first letter in each chapter title it says (GIGANTIC SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)
Nicole is dead

eXistor

I've been playing it a few hours now and it's pretty great. Except for the weapons I didn't really find anything too new or surprising in the game, but it works pretty perfectly for what it aims to be so far.

The lighting is awesome btw. I can really stop dead in my tracks to just look around the spaceship and admire the way it looks, very atmospheric. I don't really find it a scary game though. Most scares are pretty cheap (monsters juming in from of you with a violin dying in the background), but it doesn't really matter, the way the Ishamura is presented is top-notch.

I can't really say anything bad about the game, it's pretty fucking solid all the way through.

In the manual, I've noticed that the bottom of each page has the words "Dead Space" on them, except the last page which has some kind of code on it. Anyone know of its significance (or indeed, insignificance).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So about weapons. The Plasma Cutter is actually a great go-to weapon, find myself using it 60% of the time. The only other reall good weapon I've bought so far is the line cutter, thing's awesome when used in combination with stasis, yum. Flame thrower eats up fuel and the Pulse Rifle doesn't do enough damage (at least without damage upgrades). Any other weapons I should try?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Darunia said:
So about weapons. The Plasma Cutter is actually a great go-to weapon, find myself using it 60% of the time. The only other reall good weapon I've bought so far is the line cutter, thing's awesome when used in combination with stasis, yum. Flame thrower eats up fuel and the Pulse Rifle doesn't do enough damage (at least without damage upgrades). Any other weapons I should try?
I loved the force gun. It was my secondary weapon all throughout the game. Surprisingly powerful when it was fully upgraded.

Danielsan

Darunia said:
Ripper is a great baby killer. :D

Who the FUCK said this game was easy? It's incredibly hard!! I am playing on Hard as everyone said it was way too easy, but this is LOLcentral on the difficulty.

Got to the
Lab in Chapter 2 to get the two parts to combine together, and in the room where the quarrantine alert comes on it's stupidly difficult.
Must be 10 enemies you have to fight without a break. I even tried using the DLC suit and it's made no difference.

Or am I playing it wrong? :D

KurowaSan

KennyLinder said:
Who the FUCK said this game was easy? It's incredibly hard!! I am playing on Hard as everyone said it was way too easy, but this is LOLcentral on the difficulty.

don't know about the incredibly part, but yeah, on hard it's quite not easy :lol I'm always in need of ammo, two or three shots per limb, having to cut at least two, sometimes three to kill a damn monster. And that's not counting shots you might miss. It's hard to aim to the limbs, much more when you have headshots and safe shots to the body so hardcoded :lol

Oh btw, I don't know if this has been said before, but I got the PS3 asian version of the game and, unfortunately there's no Obsidian suit to download from the HK store, so I decided to download the US one and give it a chance and, to my surprise, it actually worked :D
Actually, the Scorpion Suit is not in the HK store either BUT the game comes with a code to download it for free :D

The Obsidian suit is kinda... BLACK :lol . It's cool, though.

Oreoleo

Archie said:
I loved the force gun. It was my secondary weapon all throughout the game. Surprisingly powerful when it was fully upgraded.

2nded. Ripper is pretty good earlier on in the game against one or two enemies at a time, but later on when they start throwing enemies at you a half dozen at a time you need something that will keep some space between you and them and the force gun has that in spades. Primary fire to knock em down, alt fire at their crotch once or twice to take out a chunk of health then run up to them and primary fire point blank at their head to take out just about any enemy in the game.

KennyLinder said:

Got to the
Lab in Chapter 2 to get the two parts to combine together, and in the room where the quarrantine alert comes on it's stupidly difficult.
Must be 10 enemies you have to fight without a break. I even tried using the DLC suit and it's made no difference.

i'd recommend you either get better or start over. i didn't start struggling on hard until chapter 5. it gets a lot harder than where you are at now. use stasis to help yourself out. often it's best to stasis one monster just so you don't have to worry about it, and take out another while that one is frozen.

taking out legs slows them down at least so that can be helpful too. keep an eye out for free kills (explosive cylinders are awesome) too. learn to kinesis things to pick them up too. very helpful not to have to run into the fray to pick em up.

Egg Shen

Darunia said:
The Cutter was the most versatile weapon in my inventory as well, it was the only thing I used during my first playthrough. I'm on my second one now and have been trying out the different ones. The Ripper is great for sawing things apart, but I didn't have much luck in cutting off the limbs of the impaler aliens that run at you. The Contact Beam quickly splatters most anything it hits, but you have to charge it up first and it has an initially low ammo reserve. Not sure what the deal with the Force Beam is...it pushes creatures? Haven't used the pulse rifle so I don't know how effective that is, and the Arc(?) Beam weapon is like firing a horizontal, five foot wide, scythe at whatever is in it's way. Can't say much else on the Flamethrower aside from that I didn't use it.

They also have alternate attacks, but I haven't used any of them enough to know how well they work in combat. I know the Contact Beam has some kind of shockwave alternate that damages/kills monsters around you, but I'm not sure on the others.

Bildi

B-Genius said:

Can't wait to get this.

Actually, you can see his face at the start of the game. But yeah, frickin' awesome character and I always loved the distinctive design.

Oreoleo

plagiarize said:
i'd recommend you either get better or start over. i didn't start struggling on hard until chapter 5. it gets a lot harder than where you are at now. use stasis to help yourself out. often it's best to stasis one monster just so you don't have to worry about it, and take out another while that one is frozen.

My first playthrough was on hard and chapters 1 and 2 were easily the hardest of the game for me (Along with a room here or there in what I think were Chapters 6, 10 and 12. Once you get a weapon upgraded a couple times (Absolutely focus on the Cutter first) and have at least a little cash to get extra ammo/health/stasis when needed there really isn't an obstacle you can't overcome with a couple of attempts.

Danielsan

Honestly the start of chapter 12 solidifies it. Dead Space makes Mass Effect look like a piece of shit graphically. I really hope Bioware gets to use the Dead Space engine for Mass Effect 2. It's a perfect fit.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Just started, PS3, on hard, difficulty level is complete b/s not enough ammo to sufficiently take out the number of enemies. If you complete on Normal can you take your upgraded weapons into Hard?

Egg Shen

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Just started, PS3, on hard, difficulty level is complete b/s not enough ammo to sufficiently take out the number of enemies. If you complete on Normal can you take your upgraded weapons into Hard?
I don't think you can. When it saves your endgame and you reload it, it only starts a new game using that difficulty level.

Wark

I believe the new game plus sticks to the same difficulty level.

EDIT: Beaten.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tokubetsu said:
Am I the only one who likes Issac's character design?
I love his design, but more I play the game, the more it seems how Isaac is a faceless nobody - and it's a shame, as you never get to feel absolutely anything for such an iconic looking character. They should have given him voice.

Egg Shen

Marconelly said:
I love his design, but more I play the game, the more it seems how Isaac is a faceless nobody - and it's a shame, as you never get to feel absolutely anything for such an iconic lookng character. They should have given him voice.
I'll admit, I wasn't much of a fan of the armor but after playing the game and the rest of the design work, it made a lot more sense. I wasn't too off put by a mute Isaac, though. They did a great job in using his body language as a reaction to everything else. A racing heartbeat, his labored breathing, and grunting under pain made him seem more 'real' than some automaton on two legs along with the third person view. But I also see your point. There have been times in the game that would have been interesting to know what kind of dialogue he could have snapped back with if he had been given an option to reply to certain NPCs, to hear what their reactions could be like if only to add more meat to the story.

there's plenty of ammo on hard. i'm on level six, only completely run out once. come close a couple of other times... but yeah... there's sufficient ammo. boxes on the floor with a green light can be stomped open for contents. lockers and boxes with a white light on rather than a red light can be opened with X to check the contents.

ammo conservation is a big part of any survival horror game to me. that's one of the reasons i'm playing on hard. i have to put effort into not running out of ammo... and i wouldn't have it any other way.

I had trouble when I started my first game on hard during the first chapter, I was screaming FUUUUCK enough to make my fiancee laugh at my effort. It was funny because I was yelling "This is fucking impossible!!!" and she said, "Well they wouldn't have made it this way if it wasn't possible, remember when you were fighting that old guy (referring to the retarded fist fight at the end of MGS4, which I was also howling over)? You beat that eventually didn't you?" It seems she only pays attention to my games when I'm getting pissed. :lol

Also, she thinks Isaac's breathing when he's hurt sounds like somebody farting in a toilet. Hearing her laugh across the room over this when I'm all tense about being close to death ruins the atmosphere.

Anyway, I digress... you eventually "get used" to the way you have to play the game on hard, and I found that forgetting you have the stasis module is usually the cause of most of my deaths. I'm finding that using stasis is the only way to survive encounters where there are more than 2 monsters coming at you in close quarters. At least at the beginning when you're weak.

Vangellis

Orellio said:
My first playthrough was on hard and chapters 1 and 2 were easily the hardest of the game for me (Along with a room here or there in what I think were Chapters 6, 10 and 12. Once you get a weapon upgraded a couple times (Absolutely focus on the Cutter first) and have at least a little cash to get extra ammo/health/stasis when needed there really isn't an obstacle you can't overcome with a couple of attempts.

Exactly the same for me on hard. Chapters 1 and 2 were brutal, especially on ammo. At one point I started over on medium but it was way too easy. Gets better as you get money to buy ammo. I upgraded the cutter all the way and sell everything except contact beam ammo. I just buy shit loads of cutter ammo at the store. I dont have issues with health or stasis packs just ammo.

Top Bottom