• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

calder

Just finished it, very good game. I would have liked it a bit more if it was a bit shorter, especially since a few sections felt a bit stretched out. The story and dialogue is objectively kinda weak (and for a game with a few plot twists not a single one
except maybe the last 3 seconds of the game
were the slightest bit unexpected) but the atmosphere and fantastic graphics/audio throughout had me digging the universe more than it maybe deserves from a story telling standpoint. Some of the visuals were just incredible.

On 49% trophies on my playthrough, I should have checked them out a bit before hand because looking back a few were easily doable but I just never realized.

Aldramelk

Neo Member
I also just finished the game. I enjoyed it a lot even though I rushed at the end. Loved the gun play, the weapons had a visceral impact to them. I agree it was a little too long and I'm not a fan of the cheap scares style. I beat it on the PS3 with the obsidian suit on medium, which, it turns out, is becomes obsolete pretty quickly.

Also, even though I'm not replaying it, this is the game that is going to push me into buying a plasma, lcd black levels just don't cut it.

Next up is Eternal Sonata for a slight change of pace. :)

Chiggs

Gold Member
I can't believe how much I love this game. From out of the ashes of mockery, this title rises. Beautiful graphics, excellent sound, creepy story. Keep it coming, EA.

raYne

In contrast, I just started playing this, but already everything's sooo good. Visuals, mood setting, the feel of the game, audio etc are top notch. I know the audio's been getting a lot of praise, but it can't be said enough. Amazing.

Other than all the usual stuff, this game had me at ripping a guy's head off with Kinesis and smashing it against a wall. :lol

JRW

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the 360's sound sucks? sounds pretty awesome to me!

this game scares the shit out of me when playing at night, especially when those fast fuckers come at me and i have no slow down magic. awesome game but im only in chapter 3 :(

Ya 360's version sounds amazing on my 7.1 surround setup, A friend is going to bring over PS3's version tomorrow so I'll see how it compares.

Oh and im halfway through chapter 7 and this game just keeps getting better.. Im truly amazed at the overall quality of this game from the graphics / audio / gameplay / funfactor, It doesnt disappoint.

-Winnie-

I'm really interested in trying this game out, but I'm a bit of a pussy. How scary is this game on a scale of 1-10?
The last horror game I played was Silent Hill 1 and that scared the living shit out of me... never even finished it.

M_A_C

Graphics are insane running this on my computer on my 1080p HDTV. Can't wait to dive into the game some more.

Wark

-Winnie- said:
I'm really interested in trying this game out, but I'm a bit of a pussy. How scary is this game on a scale of 1-10?
The last horror game I played was Silent Hill 1 and that scared the living shit out of me... never even finished it.

I honestly don't think the game is that scary, then again I'm only on like level 6 or 7. I'd say it is about 6 on the scary scale and that is on a 1080p set with 6.1 surround sound. Still, I love every bit of the game so far and I highly suggest playing it.

f@luS

More than a member.
picked up the game on pc. Humm vsync on = 30fps capped , and vsync off = tearing :( . Cant force through ati CCC

Chiggs

Gold Member
M_A_C said:
Graphics are insane running this on my computer on my 1080p HDTV. Can't wait to dive into the game some more.

Same here. Engine is rock solid.

f@luS said:
picked up the game on pc. Humm vsync on = 30fps capped , and vsync off = tearing :( . Cant force through ati CCC

That sucks. Game is stunning at 60fps.

-Winnie-

Wark said:
I honestly don't think the game is that scary, then again I'm only on like level 6 or 7. I'd say it is about 6 on the scary scale and that is on a 1080p set with 6.1 surround sound. Still, I love every bit of the game so far and I highly suggest playing it.

So how does it compare to RE4 in terms of horror? I had a blast with RE4, but it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be... except for the Regenerators. D:

Wow, I'm stupid. I'm in Chapter 7, and during the entire game so far I've been wondering what the hell "Objective Rodeo" meant. Turns out it really says "Objective Added," but the letters are all capital and looked similar to me.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize this. :lol

Wark

-Winnie- said:
So how does it compare to RE4 in terms of horror? I had a blast with RE4, but it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be... except for the Regenerators. D:

Well, I guess you could say it is scarier than RE4. DS has more "jumpy" moments.

Danielsan

-Winnie- said:
I personally think it's as scary as the Regenerator/Iron maiden section except throughout the entire game. It's no Silent Hill but it definitely got my hart raising and some parts freaked me the fuck out.

Wark

Danielsan said:
I personally think it's as scary as the Regenerator/Iron maiden section except throughout the entire game. It's no Silent Hill but it definitely got my hart raising and some parts freaked me the fuck out.

Yeah, I guess I agree with you there. The game's atmosphere is kind of like a cross between that section of RE4, Doom 3, and System Shock 2.

Tiktaalik

I'm on chapter 3 now and super super loving it. After reading the reviews I expected it to be a much more action/horror type game like RE4, but as it goes along, it keeps having enough scary moments that is much more genuinely scary than RE4 ever was.

For a while I thought I was doing really well for ammo, but by the end of the 2nd chapter "boss", and by boss I mean introduction of a slightly more powerful enemy, I had absolutely zero regular ammo left. I guess throughout that chapter I hadn't really figured out that you can use stasis to slow guys down and then really pick and choose where you hit them to save ammo. I've been doing that slightly more in key situations now and I seem to be doing alright.

I think I may have made a mistake by buying the flamethrower, since it only seems to be useful against
those little antlike guys that jump on your back
. The only other upgrade I have is to the 2nd level armor.

Any weapons I should lean toward buying or ones I should stay away from?

Key upgrades? So far I've just put stuff into my main pistol.

Danielsan

Scarecrow said:
Well, I just got the game tonight. I started out on hard. Was this a good or bad decision?
Good. You may get stuck a bit in some hard situations but overall I think it enhances the experience. I think it makes the enemies scarier because they are tougher to kill, so you'll always fear for your life. :D

-Winnie-

Danielsan said:

Oh shit. :lol

Scarecrow

Danielsan said:
Good. You may get stuck a bit in some hard situations but overall I think it enhances the experience. I think it makes the enemies scarier because they are tougher to kill, so you'll always fear for your life. :D
yeah, that's definitely been the case so far. I'm desperate for ammo.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zeliard said:
That's too bad. Sounded promising. Though I was shocked by it since Argento didn't seem like the type that would do something like this. Guess it explains the performance. Does it seem like he doesn't give a shit, or that he just isn't good at it?

He is not even trying. So yeah, I guess he doesn't give a shit. You can even hear him taking deep breaths between lines.

Scarecrow said:
yeah, that's definitely been the case so far. I'm desperate for ammo.
Once you get the hang of the controls and figure out the best way to kill each enemy the game doesn't seem so hard anymore. It's still way way intense though. I love it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tiktaalik said:
I'm on chapter 3 now and super super loving it. After reading the reviews I expected it to be a much more action/horror type game like RE4, but as it goes along, it keeps having enough scary moments that is much more genuinely scary than RE4 ever was.

For a while I thought I was doing really well for ammo, but by the end of the 2nd chapter "boss", and by boss I mean introduction of a slightly more powerful enemy, I had absolutely zero regular ammo left. I guess throughout that chapter I hadn't really figured out that you can use stasis to slow guys down and then really pick and choose where you hit them to save ammo. I've been doing that slightly more in key situations now and I seem to be doing alright.

I think I may have made a mistake by buying the flamethrower, since it only seems to be useful against

Pretty much every weapon save the flamethrower is very useful. Though the Pulse Rifle really needs some damage upgrades before it gets good and the contact beam's ammo is not plentiful. PC, Line Gun, Ripper and Force Gun are great all around weapons from the minute you buy them though. Plus the FG and LG have great secondary attacks

dazzgc

Banned
great game so far, gorgeous on pc. Heres a tip for those with vsync issues get rivatuner and force vsync in d3d overider it maintains full frame rate this way

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Chiggs said:
I can't believe how much I love this game. From out of the ashes of mockery, this title rises. Beautiful graphics, excellent sound, creepy story. Keep it coming, EA.

Just give the main characters a voice next time.

JimiNutz

Banned
Tiktaalik said:

Are you playing on Hard or Normal because I'm at a similar stage to you (just finished ch2, playing on normal) and I have about 175 rounds for my cutter :lol
I'm only using the cutter and there seems to be ammo everywhere.

I picked the game up last night, absolutely loving it so far. Can't really say anything that hasn't been said already but so far it's my second favourite game this gen after Gears, and IMO much more enjoyable than Bioshock which I felt got over rated by many sites/publications.

I've heard that if you finish a new game + whilst wearing the Lvl6 suit, if you start a new Impossible game without switching off your console, you will have the Lvl6 suit on at the start of your Impossible run. Can anyone confirm this?

And if it's true, does the Lvl6 suit stay with you even after you have saved, switched off your console, and reloaded your Impossible game? Or visited a shop?

linsivvi

endlessflood said:
I've heard that if you finish a new game + whilst wearing the Lvl6 suit, if you start a new Impossible game without switching off your console, you will have the Lvl6 suit on at the start of your Impossible run. Can anyone confirm this?

And if it's true, does the Lvl6 suit stay with you even after you have saved, switched off your console, and reloaded your Impossible game? Or visited a shop?

Yes it's true. It happened to me and the suit stays with you all the way.

Danielsan

linsivvi said:
Yes it's true. It happened to me and the suit stays with you all the way.
Awesome. More incentive to finish my second hard run through (upgrading all the weapons). I'll then attempt a single gun impossible mode run (at some point).

Danielsan said:
Awesome. More incentive to finish my second hard run through (upgrading all the weapons). I'll then attempt a single gun impossible mode run (at some point).
I'd be quick about it. The fact that this only works if you don't switch off your console indicates it's a glitch rather than the designers' intention. I expect it'll be addressed in the first patch.

le.phat

didn't pay attention to this game at all. In fact, when the game was announced i thought it looked generic and didn't pay any more attention to it, until a friend of mine showed me the GT review. What a turnaround, i was really impressed with what i saw, rushed out, picked it up and now i'm loving it to death! This game is incredible, and easily challenges Silent hill 2 for most awesome survival horror game ever :D

sleeper hit of this gen?

JB1981

I'm only 2 chapters in but I have to say, so far this is one of the easiest games I've ever played. It's brilliantly designed though (a bit too linear after just finishing bioshock) but I am enjoying the hell out of it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
JB1981 said:
I'm only 2 chapters in but I have to say, so far this is one of the easiest games I've ever played. It's brilliantly designed though (a bit too linear after just finishing bioshock) but I am enjoying the hell out of it.
Hard Mode? I got halfway through Chapter 2 on Medium, and I just started over to make it more challenging.

Ricker

The pulse riffle is like a machine gun but it doesn't do that much damage...I just liked seeing "75" in ammo per clip,compared to the others:

really glad i upgraded the damage up to 2 spots for the end Boss though hehe

Kritz

Banned
I picked this up today on a gamble. I'm about an hour and a half in, but haven't really done much in the story.

If this is supposed to be a horror game, why is every enemy dropping ammo or money? There have been only two points at which I've faced enemies with no ammo, and one of those events was scripted.

And I can't help but notice that every single enemy encounter has been completely scripted. I walk over an invisible trigger, something pops up, I shoot it three times and then pick up the six ammo it drops.

I guess it's because I'm at the start of the game, and I assume it's taking it easy on me. I just never feel like I'm in any danger, ignoring the artificial lowering of sensitivity when aiming down the sight (To the point where I have to yank my mouse around to aim even slight distances from target to target).

How ever, I do find the graphics to be outstandingly well done, and I enjoy the music when it's not telling me I'm about to fight some enemies. I did find it weird that, in the intro cinematic thing, while your ship was crashing into the other ship, your character was standing dead still and not reacting to anything. I don't think the Gordon Freeman mute character archetype really works in third person (Especially when he makes such a ridiculously loud noise when stomping on things).

I do like the game, I'm just finding certain design aspects a bit strange. But, again, I haven't played much. It probably - hopefully - changes later on.

Also, the game has no Mouse4 and Mouse5 button support. I find this to be really annoying for games released in 2008. Let me map my god damn buttons as I like.

Bah. I'm being too complainy. I apologise in advance.

Aldramelk

Neo Member
Kritz said:
I picked this up today on a gamble. I'm about an hour and a half in, but haven't really done much in the story.

If this is supposed to be a horror game, why is every enemy dropping ammo or money? There have been only two points at which I've faced enemies with no ammo, and one of those events was scripted.

And I can't help but notice that every single enemy encounter has been completely scripted. I walk over an invisible trigger, something pops up, I shoot it three times and then pick up the six ammo it drops.

I guess it's because I'm at the start of the game, and I assume it's taking it easy on me. I just never feel like I'm in any danger, ignoring the artificial lowering of sensitivity when aiming down the sight (To the point where I have to yank my mouse around to aim even slight distances from target to target).

How ever, I do find the graphics to be outstandingly well done, and I enjoy the music when it's not telling me I'm about to fight some enemies. I did find it weird that, in the intro cinematic thing, while your ship was crashing into the other ship, your character was standing dead still and not reacting to anything. I don't think the Gordon Freeman mute character archetype really works in third person (Especially when he makes such a ridiculously loud noise when stomping on things).

I do like the game, I'm just finding certain design aspects a bit strange. But, again, I haven't played much. It probably - hopefully - changes later on.

Also, the game has no Mouse4 and Mouse5 button support. I find this to be really annoying for games released in 2008. Let me map my god damn buttons as I like.

I agree with these criticisms. I think they are some of the complaints most people have about the game.

Every enemy encounter is scripted which makes the game much easier once you've been through a stage once. I am a little surprised at the ammo woes some folks have, at least on medium, all the enemies drop equipment. By the end of the game I had 10+ power nodes, 150k+ credits, 50+ large/medium medkits and giant piles of ammo/stasis packs/oxygen tanks. I never sold anything except semiconductors and I never bought anything except guns/power nodes. The only real inventory management is when you don't have access to the store for storage.

Along with the mute character is his annoying tendency to be everyone else's sheep dog and the resulting constant backtracking.

Still a great game with good gunplay and atmosphere though but those two aspects grated on me.

Tokubetsu

NutJobJim said:
Are you playing on Hard or Normal because I'm at a similar stage to you (just finished ch2, playing on normal) and I have about 175 rounds for my cutter :lol
I'm only using the cutter and there seems to be ammo everywhere.

I picked the game up last night, absolutely loving it so far. Can't really say anything that hasn't been said already but so far it's my second favourite game this gen after Gears, and IMO much more enjoyable than Bioshock which I felt got over rated by many sites/publications.

I was about to come in here and say that. Ammo definitely not a problem for my Plasma cutter and I bought the line cutter (though i don't think im gonna use it...might go for the PC only achievement my first run through). LC is nice having because I have a lot of ammo f or that as well that I can just sell :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Danielsan said:
Should have started on hard. Hard is the perfect difficulty imo.

Exactly. It's not cheezy or overwhelming but you feel like every single step could be your last and many times you escape by the slimmest of margins. Low ammo throughout, med-packs a treasure to cherish, many times gravely hurt, ambling slowly away from whatever horror is chasing you if only to regain your bearings for a second. Amazing stuff.

Decado

Kritz said:

Are you playing on Hard mode? I'm pretty sure it is impossible to kill *any* enemy in 3 shots on Hard in Chapter 1 or 2. Hell, you have to be perfect to kill the weakest enemy in 6.

BTW, does anyone know if you can heal through any other means than those little canisters?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The way I see it.

Easy- Blind folded (didn't bother, easier than medium for a reason)
Medium- Easy (most limbs can be taken off in one or two shots, goodies are plentiful)
Hard- Normal (a bit less of the former)
Impossible- Hard (ditto though to the extreme)

Enemies still use the same tactics, etc. It's just a matter of how much damage you take and dish out along with amount of goodies dropped that are different. Using the PC primarily and abusing stasis and stomp still works wonders.

Decado said:
Are you playing on Hard mode? I'm pretty sure it is impossible to kill *any* enemy in 3 shots on Hard in Chapter 1 or 2. Hell, you have to be perfect to kill the weakest enemy in 6.

BTW, does anyone know if you can heal through any other means than those little canisters?

Upgrade the HP on your rig with power nodes when your health is down. You get an added full heal for free.

Only works 3 or 4 times though, for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom