• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

f@luS said:
Should i get the PC or console version? my rig can easily handle it, and i have a 360 controller on my pc....what should i do?
pc pc pc.

just make sure you turn vsync on in your graphics card drivers rather than in the game.

AirBrian

I picked this game up as a TRU placeholder, but broke down and cracked it open. I'm so glad I did. I'm only into Chapter 3, but I'm really loving it so far. The atmosphere is so freakin' good...feels so immersive.

In Chapter 2,
the area where you go outside and require your airpack is done so well. I love the way the sounds are muffled and you hear yourself breathing. Just awesome.

Also, this game with a sound system sounds incredible.

f@luS

More than a member.
newsguy said:
Do you have an option for 5.1 sound? It makes a night and day difference.
i do, for both (the same in fact). but i play 95% of the time with headphones. GF pissin' me :eek: (but when shes playing an old 2D mario, shes fine with 5.1 ...jeez)

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Chapter 8 HELP!!

What do I have to do in the room with the satellites? I looked at the diagram on the wall and everything is already lined up accordingly....WTF!!!

Danielsan

deejay8595 said:
Chapter 8 HELP!!

What do I have to do in the room with the satellites? I looked at the diagram on the wall and everything is already lined up accordingly....WTF!!!
Pick up the good ones and a make a full circle of 5 working satellites

epmode

It kills me that this isn't on Steam. I'd have bought this the instant it went up.

Direct2Drive can go die and I don't know if I'll ever buy another PC game that requires anything in the disk drive.

I hope Crysis Steam destroys EA's other downloadable games so they rethink their bullshit service.

Baron

I'm in Chapter 9, and I just earned the Butcher trophy. It's about goddamn time - it's so nice not to have to stomp around on every corpse I see now. Conversely, I also just ran into the
"stasis-pack-enhanced" super sped-up
necromorphs on the
Valor
and I can see that they are going to be a bitch to kill.

JRW

f@luS said:
Should i get the PC or console version? my rig can easily handle it, and i have a 360 controller on my pc....what should i do?

What kind of TV / Surround setup do you have? I went for the 360 version due to 50" Plasma & 7.1 surround, I have a 24" monitor on my PC (GWM-FW900 CRT) and Logitech Z5500 5.1 audio but it just doesnt compare when it comes to video games.

I was always in denial before when people claimed the video game experiance is a lot better on a bigger TV, They were right.

Baron said:
I'm in Chapter 9, and I just earned the Butcher trophy. It's about goddamn time - it's so nice not to have to stomp around on every corpse I see now. Conversely, I also just ran into the
necromorphs on the
Valor

Force Gun takes them down in one to two shots.

Danielsan

Just checked out the Obsidian suit. It's very black and slick looking. Then I upgraded to the military suit. Awesomeness. :D

You can switch freely between level 6 suit and Obsidian suit btw.

painey

I dont know why I do this to myself.. buying games that scare me so much. Already been in a panic and i've only just got the tram going. After 40 odd hours of Fallout I needed a break, not a heart attack, I think i'll pick up Midnight Club and Far Cry 2 tomorrow :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Tom Penny said:
Do the controls suck on PC? Does it basically require a controller instead of K/B mouse?
No they do not suck. No you do not need a controller. Yes you need to disable in-game vsync and adjust in-game mouse sensitivity.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished it today.

Really, really fun game. The action is very rewarding and the guns are all pretty cool. Upgrading was fun, the pacing was tight, and the environments were great looking (especially towards the end). Story was decent, some of the plot twists were kinda hokey, but it carried the gameplay. My favorite parts were the Zero-G and no oxygen areas, those areas really felt unique and were a blast. Zero-G jumping was well done.

My arsenal was the main gun (though I didn't use it at all in the 2nd half outside the
final boss & dudes with bombs on their arms
), the force gun for my real main gun since upgraded a bit it's basically a super shotgun and the ammo is cheap. Line gun for certain situations and babies, and flamethrower for the little crawly things.

Things I would like for the sequel:
-More weapons (I was a little bummed when I got the achievement for having all weapons like 1/3rd into the game. The best weapons should always be saved for the last quarter of a game)
-A mercenaries type arena mode
-online co-op

Also fwiw, the game wasn't the least bit scary. About as scary as Gears of War. It's hard to be scared in a game when you WANT to encounter enemies so you can blow them to bits with your ultra-powerful weapons and great controls. :p

Banned
Nooooo, the audio sucks on the 360 version. (compression)

Also: if your TV was set up properly, you shouldn't have had to touch the in-game brightness slider.

Finally got this game today. I can't wait to play it. I told myself to stray away from paying full price for most games nowadays because I can never get through them in a timely manner, but my will was broken. All you sons of bitches playing the game and watching all the animated comics pushed me over the edge!!

dralla

Beat it last night, don't really need to post my impressions since everyone in here already has it, so I'll just say 2 thumbs up, despite an incredibly predictable plot.

Oreoleo

Eltacoman said:
What other games have EA Redwood developed?

http://www.gamespy.com/company/688/688089.html

GameCube
From Russia With Love
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Macintosh
The Sims 2: Seasons

Nintendo DS
MySims Kingdom

PC
Dead Space
Operation Mania
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The Lord of the Rings: The White Council
The Sims 2: Bon Voyage
The Sims 2: Seasons
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

PlayStation 2
From Russia With Love
The Godfather
The Godfather: The Game (Limited Edition)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

PlayStation 3
Dead Space
The Godfather II
The Godfather: The Don's Edition
The Simpsons Game
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

PlayStation Portable
From Russia With Love
The Godfather: Mob Wars
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

Wii
MySims Kingdom
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition
The Simpsons Game
The Sims 2: Pets
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

Xbox
From Russia With Love
The Godfather
The Godfather: The Game (Limited Edition)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

Xbox 360
Dead Space
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The Simpsons Game
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

ezekial45

Banned
Eltacoman said:
What other games have EA Redwood developed?

Lord of The Rings: The Third Age
From Russia With Love
The Godfather: The Game
The Simpsons: The Game
The Godfather II

EDIT: Could only think of a few. Guy above got the rest.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
epmode said:
It kills me that this isn't on Steam. I'd have bought this the instant it went up.

Direct2Drive can go die and I don't know if I'll ever buy another PC game that requires anything in the disk drive.

I hope Crysis Steam destroys EA's other downloadable games so they rethink their bullshit service.
Who told you this game requires a disc in the drive? It doesn't.

65536 said:
Nooooo, the audio sucks on the 360 version. (compression)

Also: if your TV was set up properly, you shouldn't have had to touch the in-game brightness slider.

I have definitely enjoyed the sound so far. I am glad to not have one of those super sensitive avs forum eyes/ears.

Banned
Hmm, not quite sure what to make of this so far. I like the setting, but it seems the emphasis is really on survival here, rather than horror. It seems almost every room you walk into has a group of enemies to kill.

I've been really low on ammo so far (playing on hard) and have already had to kill a couple of enemies with melee attacks when I've run out. It's certainly harder than I was expecting, especially as a lot of people here were saying to skip medium.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
epmode said:

What's wrong with D2D?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zeliard said:
I give a shit. Argento narrates the Italian version? That's some holy fuck material right there.

He does a very bad job tho. You can easily tell he's simply reading the script without even trying put some acting into it. He is a movie director rather than an actor after all. And it shows. He's almost ruining the experience to me. Alongside the usual shitty Italian voice overs, of course.

This is the second time I buy an italian edition of an EA game. First one was Burnout Paradise. In both cases, original English language is missing from the disc. For Burnout, I sold my copy and purchased an UK one. For DS, I'll just finish it and sell it as soon as I can because it stinks (the localization I mean). For whatever comes next from EA, I'll make sure I order from play.com.

Zeliard

TTP said:
He does a very bad job tho. You can easily tell he's simply reading the script without even trying put some acting into it. He is a movie director rather than an actor after all. And it shows. He's almost ruining the experience to me. Alongside the usual shitty Italian voice overs, of course.

This is the second time I buy an italian edition of an EA game. First one was Burnout Paradise. In both cases, original English language is missing from the disc. For Burnout, I sold my copy and purchased an UK one. For DS, I'll just finish it and sell it as soon as I can because it stinks (the localization I mean). For whatever comes next from EA, I'll make sure I order from play.com.

That's too bad. Sounded promising. Though I was shocked by it since Argento didn't seem like the type that would do something like this. Guess it explains the performance. Does it seem like he doesn't give a shit, or that he just isn't good at it?

the 360's sound sucks? sounds pretty awesome to me!

this game scares the shit out of me when playing at night, especially when those fast fuckers come at me and i have no slow down magic. awesome game but im only in chapter 3 :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FrenchMovieTheme said:
the 360's sound sucks? sounds pretty awesome to me!

this game scares the shit out of me when playing at night, especially when those fast fuckers come at me and i have no slow down magic. awesome game but im only in chapter 3 :(
Fast? Oh you just wait :lol

Baron said:
necromorphs on the
Valor

Line gun was one shot kill for me. That's on medium, maybe upgraded a bit.
You gotta wait until they're on top of you, not that it takes long, or you'll miss when you fire.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hooked up this baby with my new 5.1 system.

[shawnelliot]wow just wow[/shawnelliot]

There are no words.

Wark

Rez>You said:
Hooked up this baby with my new 5.1 system.

[shawnelliot]wow just wow[/shawnelliot]

There are no words.

:lol Yeah, I'm blaring it on my 6.1 system. It is just pure awesome.

Just got this game, haven't started it yet. I'm trying to figure out the best play-through method to get all of the trophies, but without hurting my initial experience.

At the moment I'm leaning towards starting on Hard, then using new game+ (i.e. still on hard) with the level 6 suit to do a few extra runs to get all of the weapons upgraded to max, and finally doing a new game+ (still hard) to get the 'one gun' trophy. With an impossible play through at the very end, when I know the game inside out, to get the Epic Tier 3 Engineer trophy.

Is all this doable? I guess my main question is whether it will be doable to get the 'one gun' trophy on hard, remembering though that I'll have the L6 suit already. I'm concerned about the later areas and boss fights especially...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
endlessflood said:
Just got this game, haven't started it yet. I'm trying to figure out the best play-through method to get all of the trophies, but without hurting my initial experience.

At the moment I'm leaning towards starting on Hard, then using new game+ (i.e. still on hard) with the level 6 suit to do a few extra runs to get all of the weapons upgraded to max, and finally doing a new game+ (still hard) to get the 'one gun' trophy. With an impossible play through at the very end, when I know the game inside out, to get the Epic Tier 3 Engineer trophy.

Is all this doable? I guess my main question is whether it will be doable to get the 'one gun' trophy on hard, remembering though that I'll have the L6 suit already. I'm concerned about the later areas and boss fights especially...
If you have the Level 6 suit and the Plasma Cutter maxed out then it shouldn't be too bad. The Cutter is really the most versatile weapon and if you make sure that it's the only weapon you carry you should have a ton of ammo for it.

Also, could someone give me a general idea of where the Peng Trophy is? I would just like the chapter number and a vague description of the room or something. I just want to make sure I don't miss it and have some frame of reference.

robot

RoboPlato said:
If you have the Level 6 suit and the Plasma Cutter maxed out then it shouldn't be too bad. The Cutter is really the most versatile weapon and if you make sure that it's the only weapon you carry you should have a ton of ammo for it.

Also, could someone give me a general idea of where the Peng Trophy is? I would just like the chapter number and a vague description of the room or something. I just want to make sure I don't miss it and have some frame of reference.

From what I've read, it's on Chapter 11. I tried to avoid spoilers so I'm not sure where.

batbeg

Me and my housemate just started this on hard, as we do with all games, and are having it handed to us :lol We're pretty far into Chapter 2, and this game is freakin' awesome, but we're taking it so slowly, and getting killed so much, that we've spent almost 5 hours on it so far :lol

Really great game. Not very scary thus far, but definitely intense and incredible.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RoboPlato said:

11 and shuttle bay

GuessWho

man I've never screamed so much at a video game before. Sometimes it's just ridiculously hard. Chapter
7 when nicole has to unlock door, I litterally had to drag red canisters in the room before making another attempt, that's how low on ammo i was. I ended up with nothing after, and they mother fucking top it off with necros at the end. Fuckn masochists. I hate hard.

Just finished it.

Sweet Jesus, that was an awesome game. Easily GOTY material for me so far. Plus, that final boss was rad.

I'm really curious to see what they do with the sequel.

Oh, and a special shout out to the animation team. Fucking top tier work all around on that. I would have loved to have worked on those crazy creatures.
Especially that final boss, one of the coolest 'big' creatures I have seen in a game in a long while

Top Bottom