• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've just recently discovered the wondrous brutality and carnage of the Ripper. Wow. I had ignored it in lieu of the flamethrower but that things eats ammo like it's going outta style.

So Plasma Cutter/Ripper for me mostly with the Line Gun following closely.

I'm currently at the beginning of Chapter 6 and eagerly await meeting the Leviathan. Whatever it is.

Dracos

Finished the game last night. Great experience. I powered up the plasma cutter and ripper the most, with points in the rifle as a 3rd weapon. Never used anything else really. Stasis and ripper = god mode.

Finished first time last night, superb game overall. Isaac actually looks like a good choice of visage after seeing him more dramatically at the end than you can in the beginning. Seems very appropriate to a regular hard-working, rough-hewn space systems engineer who steps up against horror.

After that only mildly challenging Medium/One-gun/Elite/about 700 achievement point run I stepped immediately into Impossible mode, which left me in the Elite suit. 1st chapter suggests that things will be challenging but manageable...as long as one minimizes any enemies latching on. I think I'll continue this way despite the known lower ultimate armor defense of this suit, curious to see how tough it will be later.

Personally I like the trade-off with this suit (and the PS3 counterpart) as a free immediately available bonus for item collection that you pay for with that defense issue. I'm also one of those who likes the frosty skeletal look with vibrant green head glow of this suit.

Cdammen

Now I've read the comics and seen the movie... all that is left is to play the game but I don't know if I ever will. I'm easily scared :)

Fady K

Cdammen said:
Now I've read the comics and seen the movie... all that is left is to play the game but I don't know if I ever will. I'm easily scared :)

I finished the comic and the film last night, and started the game - dont worry - its not as scary as youd expect, it is however, mindblowingly awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
Finally started breaking into this.

It's so good, soooo good. And today is such a horrible raining day, perfect for play :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Seriously, how awesome is this game considering it's almost Halloween? So awesome. I finally snagged Silent Hill 3 just yesterday and still have Fatal Frame 2 to finish (I'm playing it alongside DS) as well. I've been strictly headphones; very, very disturbing to say the least.

vpance

Playing this on Hard, wow it's ... hard. Just reached the first power node upgrader thing. Had to replay the elevator section a couple times before I could pass it.

NameIess

^Same here I'm on chapter 5 and hard is definitely challenging.
I will continue to play on this difficulty, because many say normal is too easy.
I have not really been scared, but startled a few times & felt moments of tension with the level of difficulty. This game is great to play at night with the lights off & 5.1 surround sound; good times...

guise

Just started chapter 4 - god damn this game is so polished.

I was avoiding footage/video reviews so a lot of the stuff is probably old to everyone else. I didnt even know the game had no HUD till i started playing - great design choice. I love the way the whole interface is integrated into the fiction with popup holograms and stuff

NameIess

guise said:
Just started chapter 4 - god damn this game is so polished.

I was avoiding footage/video reviews so a lot of the stuff is probably old to everyone else. I didnt even know the game had no HUD till i started playing - great design choice. I love the way the whole interface is integrated into the fiction with popup holograms and stuff

Agreed...
The menu & HUD is very will done; I hope other titles take a similar approach, because it makes for a more cinematic experience.

Flunkie

Banned
JB1981 said:
Is it me or is the Pulse Rifle relatively worthless?
I use it for small enemies that don't take a lot of shots and it's always good to have when you're running low on other ammo for the other guns.

I keep my Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, Ripper, and Force Gun in my inventory at all times.

Wark

Doc Evils said:
just watched the blu-ray. :eek: scary.

I still can't believe EA made this story.

I think I'm gonna have to pick up the BD today. Anything special on it other than the movie?

NameIess

Crayon said:
I played for almost 3 hourse but could not go on. So boring.
I'm on Chapter 5 & hope the game starts to give me some more innovative missions, but the production value, atmosphere & visuals are still enough to keep my interest.
Not sure what type of display you have, but I'm playing the PS3 version on a 1080P Samsung with 5.1 surround and the experience is amazing...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
NameIess said:
I'm on Chapter 5 & hope the game starts to give me some more innovative missions, but the production value, atmosphere & visuals are still enough to keep my interest.

Hmm. I've read some posts along the same lines and I still can't come to understand them considering what exactly Dead Space is going for. Watching Alien last night it didn't strike me that Ripley needed to do anything more than stay alive.

Can you give me an example of an innovative mission as it relates to the subject matter?

NameIess

bob_arctor said:
Hmm. I've read some posts along the same lines and I still can't come to understand them considering what exactly Dead Space is going for. Watching Alien last night it didn't strike me that Ripley needed to do anything more than stay alive.

Can you give me an example of an innovative mission as it relates to the subject matter?

Once again I'm only on Chapter 5 about 1/3 through the entire game...
It would be cool if there was a mission interacting directly with the other characters instead of just taking orders; perhaps an interactive mission saving the female character or having the commanding officer actually interact with your character and save him from harm. I guess something from a page of Half Life 2 to go along with the great production value & visuals. I'm very pleased with the game and what I'm proposing could occur later in the game so this could be a moot point... *PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!*

Crayon

Labombadog said:
What was so boring? Just wondering.

Overall it feels like a dumbed down re4. Or a dumbed down doom 3.

Basically, it feels like a survival horror game for people who would rather be playing a shooter. It started off as a good survival/adventure game. I waited till nite time to play and everything. The first big hit was when the enemies became so unintersting so quickly. Both in their design and action. After that the puzzles where dissapointing me in their simpictiy.

I went in expecting a different game I think. This game is really polished and got alot of hype but it feels just like Dark Sector or Uncharted to me. Both of which I find boring. The gameplay is just too thin.

NameIess

Crayon said:

Basically, it feels like a survival horror game for people who would rather be playing a shooter. It started off as a good survival/adventure game. I waited till nite time to play and everything. The first big hit was when the enemies became so unintersting so quickly. Both in their design and action. After that the puzzles where dissapointing me in their simpictiy.

I went in expecting a different game I think. This game is really polished and got alot of hype but it feels just like Dark Sector or Uncharted to me. Both of which I find boring. The gameplay is just too thin.

The Uncharted comment makes me question your credibility...
I still consider Uncharted one of the best action titles released.

Crayon

NameIess said:
The Uncharted comment makes me question your credibility...
I still consider Uncharted one of the best action titles released.

I think Uncharted is borderline bad. I don't trust people who rave about Uncharted eaither so you should probably remember not to take my advice on games.

Zeliard said:
Crayon is a fan of Dark Sector. Don't mind him.

I would love to see your source there!! I'm sure I said something to regret. I do know that I got Dark Sector for cheap and I'm kind of a cheap guy so I'm sure it got points there.

To set the record straight, I'd say Dark Sector and Dead Space have a huge amount in common. Dead Space got the spit shine and lucked into the hype train but at the core they are really really similar.

Zeliard

Crayon said:

What do Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4 do any differently? :lol

Resident Evil 4 does nothing but offer you shittier controls and weaker gunplay. Trying to say it offers superior gameplay than Dead Space is one of the most amusing things I've read on this board.

Zeliard

Don't worry, I knew you couldn't back any of your words up. The biggest RE4 fanboy on the planet wouldn't try to say that gameplay is something it has over Dead Space, which improves that aspect of it on virtually every count.

Good effort, though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ugh, crap. i've been away from this game for over a week, and i've definitely lost my touch :/

going to take some doing to get back my skillz

p.s. - dead space fans versus re4 fans feels like black on black crime

ok just started chapter 12 which i believe is the last chap, maxed out my rig/pulse/line, line is a beast maxed out, taking them out with one shot sometimes.

Crayon

Zeliard said:
Don't worry, I knew you couldn't back any of your words up.

I'm sorry but I don't remember every little peon whos toes I step on around here. Can you remind me of our Dark Sector conversation? Or wherever else I ruffled your feathers?

I was having a discussion with someone else when you stepped in with that and I'd consider taking it from there if you backed that up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beelzebozo said:
ugh, crap. i've been away from this game for over a week, and i've definitely lost my touch :/

going to take some doing to get back my skillz

p.s. - dead space fans versus re4 fans feels like black on black crime

I dont see how this could be dumbed down RE4, since it does nearly everything better save QTEs, which were annoying anyways

Finished through Ch 7 last night. My bonehead move of the evening was accidentally putting the plasma cutter (my only weapon) in the safe last night when trying to get the pack rat achievement. I walked around for a while until some enemies popped out and only then did I realize I was completely helpless. I had to sprint back to the store and grab a gun - didn't take too much damage in the process but it was pretty stressful. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HK-47 said:
I dont see how this could be dumbed down RE4, since it does nearly everything better save QTEs, which were annoying anyways

dead space is much more than "dumbed down re4." it's totally bad ass. like i said, it seems a little silly for fans of the games to try and turn against one another, since they're ostensibly the same people. . . i don't see why a big re4 fan would want to hate on dead space, since there's so much inspiration culled, improved, and put to good use here.

i liked re4's qtes though, you heathen.

Returners

need help in chapter 7
what do you do with the huge asteriod?, i destroyed 2 gravity tethers and is trying to plant the damm becon, but i can't get off the rock in time before those "wind-shield" wiper things come in and kill me

Draft

Returners said:
need help in chapter 7
what do you do with the huge asteriod?, i destroyed 2 gravity tethers and is trying to plant the damm becon, but i can't get off the rock in time before those "wind-shield" wiper things come in and kill me
You have to run along the asteroid, outside into the vacuum. The wiper things don't go there.

Returners said:
need help in chapter 7
There are two tethers on the backside that you need to detach. Jump towards the edge of the rock right when the wiper things start moving. Run around to the backside (the wipers don't hit back there), plant the beacon, destroy the tethers, then time your run back so you don't get hit by the wipers and go back to where you started. Took me a few tries last night to get it.

Zeliard

Crayon said:
I'm sorry but I don't remember every little peon whos toes I step on around here. Can you remind me of our Dark Sector conversation? Or wherever else I ruffled your feathers?

I was having a discussion with someone else when you stepped in with that and I'd consider taking it from there if you backed that up.

I recall you saying that Dark Sector is "not that bad". It is. The gunplay is horrible, the art design is hideous, the physics are a mess, the enemies are generic and moronic, and the gameplay solely relies on Dark Sector's single trick - the use of the glaive, and even that it manages to fuck up. Trying to liken Dead Space to it is hilariously absurd.

And you weren't "having a conversation with someone else". You simply came in here and called Dead Space "so boring", and left it at that. When asked to back that up in any way, you said that it's a dumbed down RE4 and Doom 3. When asked to back that moronic statement up with anything even remotely specific, you start trying to turn the conversation.

Typical forum troll. You come in here and call the game boring with nothing even approaching specifics, and then start crying like a little bitch when people call you out.

beelzebozo said:
dead space is much more than "dumbed down re4." it's totally bad ass. like i said, it seems a little silly for fans of the games to try and turn against one another, since they're ostensibly the same people. . . i don't see why a big re4 fan would want to hate on dead space, since there's so much inspiration culled, improved, and put to good use here.

I'm not hating on RE4 at all. I loved it, last generation. I'm asking how someone can praise that game and go ahead and call Dead Space's gameplay "thin", when it improves on everything RE4 did.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zeliard said:
I'm not hating on RE4 at all. I loved it, last generation. I'm asking how someone can praise that game and go ahead and call Dead Space's gameplay "thin", when it improves on everything RE4 did.

i know, duder. i was talking about crayon more, i suppose. i haven't finished dead space yet, so i can't say if the experience on the whole will leave me with the same feeling re4 did five times over consecutively, but i have a hard time understanding how anyone who loved that game could be disappointed by this.

mr stroke

thinking about giving this game a shot, but considering its length(enough to finish in a weekend?) would you guys suggest renting it vs buying?
some here are saying its not a multiple play through game so I cant decided weather to drop the 60$

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mr stroke said:
thinking about giving this game a shot, but considering its length(enough to finish in a weekend) would you guys suggest renting it vs buying?

the weapon economy, weapon variety, multiple satisfying difficulties, and all around high level of polish make it a must-buy from my perspective. certainly you could rent it and enjoy it once through in that time, but there is much more to be mined here than a simple once-through session.

holy shit the
big monster who breaks through the door and you have to shoot in the back
scared the crap out of me and reminded me of the wolverine enemy from resident evil 4 (in its weakness).

game keeps getting better and better

as for rent vs. buy, its a decent question. normally i dont buy many non-sports games, but there are certain single player games i want to own because i know i will play them again in the future. maybe not the week after i beat it, but i will come back around to it. it's like a movie you really like, do you just want to rent it and watch it once? or do you want to own it so you can watch it 6 months down the line again or whatever?

I_D

mr stroke said:
thinking about giving this game a shot, but considering its length(enough to finish in a weekend?) would you guys suggest renting it vs buying?
some here are saying its not a multiple play through game so I cant decided weather to drop the 60$

That's my question as well.

Given the length of the game, the content is has, is it worth a purchase or just a rental?

Is there enough replayability to warrant 60 bucks?

Flunkie

Banned
mr stroke said:
It's not a short game, really. I'm n Chapter 10 of 12 and I'm 9 1/2 hours in.

Top Bottom