• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Crayon

gregor7777 said:
I've had two now (none broken) and while I'd say they're louder than your typical home theater component, I've never found them overly loud. All told, they really shouldn't be that loud. But that's not to say I don't believe people saying they are. I just haven't heard it personally.

I've found some are louder than others. The first one I played sounded like a dreamcast.

Azar

I think my biggest disappointment in Dead Space was that the Line Gun can't rotate. I was mistakenly under that impression, and while the Line Gun and Plasma Cutter are both badass weapons in the game, the ability to rotate the Line Gun 90 degrees and split fuckers down the middle would have been incredibly awesome. I hope that makes it into the sequel.

Banned
JB1981 said:
Ok either I've found a bug in the game or I'm stumped. Hopefully someone who has gotten past chapter 6 can help me.

I'm currently killing all the pods and I'm down to my final pod. The pod is right below the elevator next to these green tubes. I go to initiate the feeding system and nothing happens. Am I missing something? Right before I had to do this, the game starting getting weird on me and directed me to areas that I hadn't been do yet. For instance, it wanted me to initiate the feeding system BEFORE killing the last pod in Zero G on the 3 level. Is this a fucking bug?
Use stasis on the machine, run around and shoot it.

What is everyone's opinion on the best crowd control weapon in the game?

I'm loving the Ripper right now when I get a good group going. It's still a bit weak but only because I haven't powered it up much.

Wark

gregor7777 said:

I'm loving the Ripper right now when I get a good group going. It's still a bit weak but only because I haven't powered it up much.

I personally like putting a group of monsters in stasis and then using the line gun mine on them.

demigod

Don't think anyone answered my question. Is it ok for me to use the addon armor or will it mess up my unlocks? Thanks

Zeliard

gregor7777 said:

Best crowd control weapon is the Line Gun's secondary fire. Especially when you combine it with stasis.

Oh God, I cannot play this game. I mean, it's awesome and all, but I am such a fucking pussy. The sound and everything is fucking with my head too much. Gotta wait 'till I've got got a friend with me so we can beat it together.

Drek

JB1981 said:
Ok either I've found a bug in the game or I'm stumped. Hopefully someone who has gotten past chapter 6 can help me.

I'm currently killing all the pods and I'm down to my final pod. The pod is right below the elevator next to these green tubes. I go to initiate the feeding system and nothing happens. Am I missing something? Right before I had to do this, the game starting getting weird on me and directed me to areas that I hadn't been do yet. For instance, it wanted me to initiate the feeding system BEFORE killing the last pod in Zero G on the 3 level. Is this a fucking bug?
I had some problems with that myself.

Basically, the feeding system trap door opens just long enough for the vat to change out, and there is no line of fire from the control panel. What I did was to open the door and then stasis it as soon as it opened up reasonably well. Then run over to the other side of the lift tower, there you will be able to see clearly down into the vat storage area. The change out vat will be somewhat in your way, but you should have enough time to kill the pod. I personally killed all the pods with a ripper, that one as well, as it makes pretty quick work of them.

And yeah, the guidance system gets a little wonky in that part because it isn't really designed to handle that many different objectives at once. It isn't a bug, just a weakness in the guidance system.

Raistlin

65536 said:

Well, I guess that settles it (unless there are framerate differences we haven't heard about).

Beyond the usual contrast/brightness differences (that you can calibrate to your choosing), seems like they are the same. Only issue is the PS3 showing banding on some of the shadows? Its weird, as I haven't noticed it in-game so far, and based on the pics ... only seems to happen at a specific areas?

Drek

gregor7777 said:

I really like the ripper, but I honestly find it to be less effective on crowds than on mini-bosses since I like to combine it with a well timed stasis. For example:
the big plated mini-bosses go down with only a couple blades if you get the ripper in them, stasis, and move to their back sides. You might need to stasis a second time but two or three ripper blades and they're done.

Anyone a big fan of the flamethrower? I find it pretty underwhelming, to the point where I shelved it.

I really like the contact beam. I've almost never used it in combat, but it did come in handy just recently:
in the fight with the leviathan. After taking off both limbs and firing every gas tank in the room down its throat it was still kicking. So nearly out of plasma energy I whipped out the contact beam, charged it up while straffing its projectiles, and dropped one round down its throat like Luke in A New Hope. Was thoroughly epic.

Haven't done much with the force gun or pulse rifle. Anyone got any opinions/good strategies for them?

I'd have to say that is what I'm loving most about this game. Horror doesn't really scare me, be it movie or game. But the combat is so solid and strategic in this game that I find myself often looking forward to replaying the game in order to handle an encounter with a different approach. Testing and experimenting with each different gun to find the most cost effective way to kill the enemies and keep turning a profit off their dropped items.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
JUST BEAT THE GAME....GREAT FUCKING GAME...AND!!!!

HOLY FUCK AT THE END WHEN ISSAC IS IN THE SPACESHIP AND HIS DEAD GIRLFRIEND ATTACKS HIM....I SCREAMED...lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Haven't done much with the force gun or pulse rifle. Anyone got any opinions/good strategies for them?

Pulse rifle is pretty low tier. Damage is pretty bad compared to the other guns, and the slight recoil along with the triangle spread makes it a little difficult to off limbs sometimes, and you constantly have to realign somewhat. It's not terrible, but I find it more of a crowd control weapon than an actual killer. In my first playthrough, I'd take off a leg with it, and switch to the cutter for the kill.

Does stomping random dead corpses count toward the dismemberment achievement?

Believe so, yes.

Stuneseht

Wark said:
Does stomping random dead corpses count toward the dismemberment achievement?
I believe so, because there is no way that i actually got over 1000 dismemberment's with strictly enemies. I stomped and dismembered every body that i saw:lol i did that just in case those necromancer type bat like enemies didn't have much to work with, once they started reviving dead enemies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Azar said:
I think my biggest disappointment in Dead Space was that the Line Gun can't rotate. I was mistakenly under that impression, and while the Line Gun and Plasma Cutter are both badass weapons in the game, the ability to rotate the Line Gun 90 degrees and split fuckers down the middle would have been incredibly awesome. I hope that makes it into the sequel.

But thats the Plasma Cutter's special ability. The Line Gun's mines are far better anyways

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
gregor7777 said:

For pure crowd control nothing beats the Force Gun

HK-47 said:
For pure crowd control nothing beats the Force Gun

This. The Force Gun is actually my favorite gun.

I can't believe I almost pre-ordered SR2 over this game. I actually made my decision as I walked into Gamestop a week or so before release. I'm certain I made the right choice because this has turned out to be my favorite game this gen. I can't wait to see what they do with a sequel. :D

gray_fox224

I'm on chapter one. I know ammo is scare in this game. Is running away from enemies the best thing to do or, should I melee attack it for loot?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
gray_fox224 said:
I'm on chapter one. I know ammo is scare in this game. Is running away from enemies the best thing to do or, should I melee attack it for loot?

Get good at cutting limbs. It does extra damage. Melee is kinda of dangerous IMO

gray_fox224

HK-47 said:
Get good at cutting limbs. It does extra damage. Melee is kinda of dangerous IMO

You mean while shooting right? Aim for limbs, am I understanding correctly?

Sorry for the newbieness of my inquiry, I bought this over Gaf's love for it. Never really paid attention to previews and such.

Banned
Quick question: I'm now on Chapter 9 and realised that I've not been bothering to upgrade anything after maxing out my gun, so I've got enough power notes spare to max out my rig's health.

When using health packs, does a medium pack always restore two bars, or is it always 50%? (so it would be three bars if you had six total etc.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
gray_fox224 said:
You mean while shooting right? Aim for limbs, am I understanding correctly?

Sorry for the newbieness of my inquiry, I bought this over Gaf's love for it. Never really paid attention to previews and such.

The limbs are the weak points of the necros. Plus cutting off legs slows them down considerably. Both legs and an arm is usually enough to end one.

gray_fox224

HK-47 said:
The limbs are the weak points of the necros. Plus cutting off legs slows them down considerably. Both legs and an arm is usually enough to end one.

Cool, thank man. Even though I'm about an hour in of chapter one, I'm loving it.

lunlunqq

gray_fox224 said:

if you are on normal, then ammo won't be much of a problem. just aim carefully and kill an enemy with 4~5 shots. they often times drop 6 ammo after they die. you should be fine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
65536 said:
Quick question: I'm now on Chapter 9 and realised that I've not been bothering to upgrade anything after maxing out my gun, so I've got enough power notes spare to max out my rig's health.

When using health packs, does a medium pack always restore two bars, or is it always 50%? (so it would be three bars if you had six total etc.)

2 bars

gray_fox224 said:
I have now come to my first upgrade bench. I can't decide from upgrading the Plasma Cutter or my Rig...Which one?

Plasma Cutter, especially if you're having issues maintaining ammo supply. Go for the dmg mods primarily, of course.

Banned
gray_fox224 said:
I have now come to my first upgrade bench. I can't decide from upgrading the Plasma Cutter or my Rig...Which one?
Well I'm on chapter 9 now on hard and all I've upgraded is the Plasma Cutter so far, and I have a ton of health packs in storage, so I'd go with the gun.

Upgrading capacity also gives you ammo, which is handy near the start. (it's not quite as bad further in as you can just buy more easily)

JRW

Not trying to start any wars here but I currently have both PS3 and 360 versions of Dead Space, I started comparing back and forth and I prefer PS3's color pallet and slightly darker gamma, it gives it more of a proper look (Even after messing with the in game brightness PS3's still seems a little better with shadow details).

Also for some reason when looking at the in game Brightness calibration screen on 360's the last 3 bars to the right are almost the same brightness (aka White crush) Yet on PS3's the last 3 bars are easily seen with no white crush issues.

So I step out of the wrecked ship and start heading to the Ishimura and noticed a strange effect with PS3's shadowing ... Instead of having gradually smooth shadows PS3's shows large bands instead .. I recorded a video to show what I mean, My camera is pretty much fail at video (640x480 @ 10fps with no video / ISO adjustments available) but you can still easily see what I'm talking about ,I converted the AVI into Xvid format (9.4 MB filesize) The first half of the video is 360 version.

Pay attention to Isac's back when he walks into the light (large bands on PS3), also look at the wall to the right and you'll see the banding I'm referring to.

Video link here.

Does this take away from the experience? Not really.. I just like comparing technical differences in games and remember I own both consoles so I'm not bias :D

Raistlin

JRW said:
Also for some reason when looking at the in game Brightness calibration screen on 360's the last 3 bars to the right are almost the same brightness (aka White crush) Yet on PS3's the last 3 bars are easily seen with no white crush issues.

I'm not surprised. The 360's contrast is pretty jacked by default.

So I step out of the wrecked ship and start heading to the Ishimura and noticed a strange effect with PS3's shadowing ... Instead of having gradually smooth shadows PS3's shows large bands instead .. I recorded a video to show what I mean, My camera is pretty much fail at video (640x480 @ 10fps with no video / ISO adjustments available) but you can still easily see what I'm talking about ,I converted the AVI into Xvid format (9.4 MB filesize) The first half of the video is 360 version.

Yeah, see this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13368642&postcount=3513

I wasn't really paying attention, but am starting to look for it now. Tell me if you see it a lot. I'm curious whether it only occurs in some locations, or is fairly constant.

The part you post is on the only that shows it based on the pics in the link above ... and I don't personally recall seeing it other than there. The only shadowing issue I've seen regularly are jaggies, but that's in both versions.

dralla

Onix said:
Expect to shit yourself, due to what is arguably the best audio in a game.

eh, the sound quality itself isn't that great, LFE frequencies sound muddy and the guns sound flat. [both versions]. the sound design is top notch though.

Watched the animated feature, Downfall, earlier. I think I enjoyed it better having seen it after playing the game. It was fun watching it and seeing all of the similarities between the ship and some of the crew that you encounter in the game. It also made me wish that the No More Heroes-esque sword that they all used to fend of the necromorphs was usable in the game as a melee weapon. It ended appropriately,
just as Isaac and the others arrive at the Ishimura
, but it left me wanting more; obviously we get the game's story, which I think would also translate well to animation. Still, it's something worth watching if you're enjoying the game.

gray_fox224

Zeliard said:
Which system are you using? If it's the PS3, don't forget that you have to install it after downloading.

Oh, so I guess I have to go into the PS3 Store? Odd, I thought it would just auto update.

Raistlin

dralla said:
eh, the sound quality itself isn't that great, LFE frequencies sound muddy and the guns sound flat. [both versions]. the sound design is top notch though.

agreed.

And while it may be a tad overdramatic at times, I'd argue it is one of the most effective soundtracks ever made for a game.

Raistlin

gray_fox224 said:
Oh, so I guess I have to go into the PS3 Store? Odd, I thought it would just auto update.

I think they did it this way because its a limited time offer (for both systems). Basically its an extra for getting the game early.

I really like that, versus the lame having to pre-order, and many times, only from a certain store.

jax (old)

Banned
First post regarding this game. Got to chapter 2. Forgot to save, got killed and had to replay a big chunk so I stopped and came to post my impressions. PS3 version

Impressions:

VISUALS
expected it to be better to be honest. It look good but I've seen better. They chosen to make Isaac a bit big on screen so everything is a bit zoomed in (maybe to retain tension) but I find it weird. The game is quite jaggy and can look muddy. (52" lcdtv) Is this UE3?

ATMOSPHERE
not bad but not scary to me. It can get tense when the monsters drop on you but that aside, I'm not on the edge of my seat. The audio work is good but the monster design takes a little away from it. I think I like the grittiness of the universe. But again, I wish it looked better.

GAMEPLAY
seems like every button combo is configued to something and I think I'll be focusing on this title to endgame before I move on because if I don't, when I get back to it, I'll be like what am I doing with the controller. However, it controls like a dream for the most parts and I'm loving stasis + dismemberment. The scifi power addons once you get them - I'm like.. ... hmmm... why did they chose to add that. Makes the game sci-fi for sure but it feels sort of weird.

Only when I got to chapter 2 did I realise you can shoot the crates and get things. BIG DOH!!!!

I like the STORE concept + weapon upgradable element to the game. So far so good.

biggest niggle. Visuals. :S

Top Bottom