• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just got to the end of chapter 1 and I gotta say I'm not liking this game at all so far. The PC controls feel sluggish, the combat isn't very fun, the whole shoehorned-in-HUD is driving me nuts and the game just hasn't scared me or even made me feel uneasy at all.

I'm gonna try playing some more later with a 360 controller to see if it feels any better.

I'd tweaked my v-sync, mouse and it felt better, not great but much nicer than default.
I then tried the 360 pad it and it was a totally different experience, much more responsive in looking around with the right stick. Isaac still lumbers around a bit which is to be expected in his suit i suppose but it feels snappier than the kb/mouse.
I'll play around with my mouse settings some more but for now i'm a 360 pad convert.
*sigh*

blitztidues said:
Do NOT listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm 5 hours in the game and having zero problems with the controls. Just force Vsync on from your Video Card and turn it off via game settings and the controls will be absolutely fine.

Uh, the controls are pretty bad, dude. I tried using the sixaxis and I noticed that the aiming is a lot better. Only problem is: his instructions seems to be borked. I followed them to the dot, but I can't for the life of me find the 'use' button.

NameIess

^If you are referring to what's on screen there's an X clearly to the right of use...
I do agree some of the controls are not straight forward, because I initially forgot about the jump function in zero gravity using the L1 + triangle.
*I was stuck for over an hour in the first section that required the use of the jump.*

Eccocid

Just finished Chapter 1 and when i start to chapter 2 i save my game and then it shows that loading screen with ship map on the background and tips keep appearing at down.
I had waited more than 5 minutes and it kept loading lol.
when i try to quit XMB screen goes black and it keeps 3 beeps and it supposed to reset ps3 but it just stays like that and i cant turn it off from power button, i have to make a hard reset from the switch at the back
This happened several times..whats going on?!

(ps3 version on PAL 60 gb)

Ysiadmihi said:
Just got to the end of chapter 1 and I gotta say I'm not liking this game at all so far. The PC controls feel sluggish, the combat isn't very fun, the whole shoehorned-in-HUD is driving me nuts and the game just hasn't scared me or even made me feel uneasy at all.

I'm gonna try playing some more later with a 360 controller to see if it feels any better.

IMO the HUD is one of the highlights of the game.

Regarding the PC controls, I heard that vsync seems to have an effect on the sluggish controls according to some of the posters earlier in the thread. Try experimenting with that. Or use a pad.

I loved the parts were when the
giant tentacles in the walls would grab you by the foot and try to pull you into its hole in the wall. Aiming your gun while being dragged on your back felt so frantic.

Raistlin

Jax said:
How big is your tv. Its got very visible jaggies. Openign sequence landing sequence with the major sun + flare and that spaceship cockpit = jaggies all over. Game look good but hasn't wowed me yet.

60"

I'm not saying the jaggies aren't noticeable. However, due to the lighting, etc. I'd say they are a bit less distracting than I'd expect for a 720p games without AA and shiny metal environments. At worst, I'd say they are no more noticeable than typical. I was just taken aback by your post, as it seemed to imply they were more noticeable than what would be expected for a game without AA.

Regardless, the muddy thing is what really seems odd to me. LCD?

FirstInHell said:
I loved the parts were when the
giant tentacles in the walls would grab you by the foot and try to pull you into its hole in the wall. Aiming your gun while being dragged on your back felt so frantic.

The second one of those on Impossible doesn't give you much time (stage
4 or 5, I forget as I'm up to 7 now
) and demanded no less than 8/10 PC rounds with no room for reload (it was unupgraded in favor of stasis and LG). At least I finally saw what happens if you fail that challenge, a couple times. Love how
it lets you go for a false moment then comes back as if toying with you
:lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Onix said:
agreed.

And while it may be a tad overdramatic at times, I'd argue it is one of the most effective soundtracks ever made for a game.
I too think the sound design is fantastic, but Soundtrack? I can't say I've heard anything memorable so far. In fact I really can't remember that there was any music in the game other than the "Twinkle Little Star" music from the attract loop trailer at the intro screen. I'm only at the Chapter 3 (near the Chapter 4 now) so maybe I didn't get to parts that have some more prominent music yet.

Also, is it correct that the game only supports DD5.1 on both consoles? I know there's no dts, which is a shame considering it's EA, but is there an option for uncompressed output on PS3 maybe?

JB1981

Marconelly said:
I too think the sound design is fantastic, but Soundtrack? I can't say I've heard anything memorable so far. In fact I really can't remember that there was any music in the game other than the "Twinkle Little Star" music from the attract loop trailer at the intro screen. I'm only at the Chapter 3 (near the Chapter 4 now) so maybe I didn't get to parts that have some more prominent music yet.

Also, is it correct that the game only supports DD5.1 on both consoles? I know there's no dts, which is a shame considering it's EA, but is there an option for uncompressed output on PS3 maybe?

The soundtrack is very effective. It's more mood music than orchestral score but it aids the onscreen action in a very very effective way.

gray_fox224

I can only find myself playing this game at night. It's about 930 in the morning here and I can't imagine playing this game with so much sunlight filling my apartment. :lol

gray_fox224 said:
I can only find myself playing this game at night. It's about 930 in the morning here and I can't imagine playing this game with so much sunlight filling my apartment. :lol

Same here, I definitely wait until it's dark and put my headphones on to play.

gray_fox224 said:

I can't imagine myself playing this game in the dark. Getting scared shitless isn't fun me unless I've got a buddy around.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
dak1dsk1 said:
I have no complaints whatsoever with this game. Developers could learn a lot from it. 10/10. Ride of a lifetime.

I have some nitpicks (map sucks, no quick 180 turn), but otherwise I can't find anything wrong with this game either. It took me by surprise and completely blew me away. Incredibly fun and polished action game.

Beat 4 chapters today alone, saving the final chapter for tonight.

Chiggs said:
Two ways: in the menu, and in the Nvidia control panel.
yea I have that enabled and im forcing AA through catalyst control but I still see jaggies.

Anyone decoding things? here is the decoder I found.

DeadSpace2008-10-2603-26-15-54.png

alterno69

Banned
This game is great, feels so polished and well put together. If anything i'd say the Normal dificulty is too easy but i'm still loving this game more than i thought i would.

By far the best survival horror game this gen.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Projectjustice said:
Everyone playing this game on a PC is a masocist.

Yeah, I'm a masochist for playing the game on my 26" Samsung monitor at 1080p (rock-solid 60 fps), with a wireless 360 controller.

big_z

Pop On Arrival said:
Uh, the controls are pretty bad, dude. I tried using the sixaxis and I noticed that the aiming is a lot better. Only problem is: his instructions seems to be borked. I followed them to the dot, but I can't for the life of me find the 'use' button.

i noticed the flaw after posting. this is currently my best solution. using this makes the game fully playable but the face(shape) buttons are mapped to the dpad. for whatever reason the game seems to have the face buttons saved for the quick menu. i havent figured out a solution to fix the problem yet.

Pad.Back = Button.1
Pad.LeftStick.Click = Button.2
Pad.LeftStick.X = X-Axis
Pad.LeftStick.Y = Y-Axis.Inverted
Pad.RightDPad.Down = Button.7
Pad.RightDPad.Left = Button.8
Pad.RightDPad.Right = Button.6
Pad.RightDPad.Up = Button.5
Pad.RightStick.Click = Button.3
Pad.RightStick.X = Z-Axis
Pad.RightStick.Y = Z-Rotation
Pad.Start = Button.4
Pad.Trigger.LeftBottom = Button.9
Pad.Trigger.LeftTop = Button.11
Pad.Trigger.RightBottom = Button.10
Pad.Trigger.RightTop = Button.12

Naeblish

Okay i love this game. Immersion factor like bioshock and the setting is awesome. I'm gonna have to watch sunshine again one of these days.

Flunkie

Banned
GhostRidah said:
yea I have that enabled and im forcing AA through catalyst control but I still see jaggies.

Anyone decoding things? here is the decoder I found.

http://www.uploadftw.com/200810/DeadSpace2008-10-2603-26-15-54.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I posted that a few pages back. :)

JRW

Onix said:
I'm not surprised. The 360's contrast is pretty jacked by default.

Yeah, see this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13368642&postcount=3513

I wasn't really paying attention, but am starting to look for it now. Tell me if you see it a lot. I'm curious whether it only occurs in some locations, or is fairly constant.

The part you post is on the only that shows it based on the pics in the link above ... and I don't personally recall seeing it other than there. The only shadowing issue I've seen regularly are jaggies, but that's in both versions.

I didnt see any more of these banding shadows throughout level 1 but its also the only area that had that type of lighting, we'll see what happens.

But after viewing all of those high res comparison shots in your link I'd have to give the nod to 360 overall.

Have people like never played third person shooters with a mouse/keyboard? I haven't tried the 360 controller because I don't feel like spending 30-50 dollars more for something I would barely use.

Seriously though. Maybe I just use computers so much that it feels natural for me because I don't seem to have any problems playing dead space on PC. But really. If you're used to playing games on PC I ASSURE you that talk about the controls being bad is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY exaggerated.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
chapter 6 now. spectacular. as someone who was anticipating the game and was sort of figuring it would be something really excellent, it has exceeded every expectation i had. this team is seriously gifted.

epmode

OK now I regret buying this piece of shit.

Setting the PC version up to work with my 360 wired controller has been a disaster. Even using the XBCD drivers (so I can set any button to do exactly what I want), I cannot come up with a scheme to match the console controls. Navigating menus is a disaster since only some of the buttons I've mapped even work.

And seriously, what the fuck @ editing an external text file for gamepad controls.

Fuck you EA.

(I'm sure I'd have loved the game on consoles but I'm not buying this twice)

big_z said:
i noticed the flaw after posting. this is currently my best solution. using this makes the game fully playable but the face(shape) buttons are mapped to the dpad. for whatever reason the game seems to have the face buttons saved for the quick menu. i havent figured out a solution to fix the problem yet.

Pad.Back = Button.1
Pad.LeftStick.Click = Button.2
Pad.LeftStick.X = X-Axis
Pad.LeftStick.Y = Y-Axis.Inverted
Pad.RightDPad.Down = Button.7
Pad.RightDPad.Left = Button.8
Pad.RightDPad.Right = Button.6
Pad.RightDPad.Up = Button.5
Pad.RightStick.Click = Button.3
Pad.RightStick.X = Z-Axis
Pad.RightStick.Y = Z-Rotation
Pad.Start = Button.4
Pad.Trigger.LeftBottom = Button.9
Pad.Trigger.LeftTop = Button.11
Pad.Trigger.RightBottom = Button.10
Pad.Trigger.RightTop = Button.12

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

rabhw

Just beat it, quite liked it myself. My main complaints are that the last third of the game essentially degraded into a Serious Sam game, where you enter a room, all the doors lock, 10 enemies rush out, kill them, doors unlock, proceed. That and I really feel like the game could have probably ended around chapter 6 or 7 if they had compressed 90% of the shit they had you running around doing for everyone else who are apparently only a fraction as competent as you are.

Still awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Foreign Jackass said:
I didn't like Doom 3, but I adore RE4, Bioshock and System Shock 2. Is it still possible that I'll love this game?

i thought doom 3 was a shallow piece of shit and loved re4 and bioshock. i love this game. love love love LOVE it.

Raistlin

Marconelly said:
I too think the sound design is fantastic, but Soundtrack?

When I say soundtrack, I mean in the most traditional cinematic sense. May not be the correct word. I mean, something that fits the setting, and really draws you in.

Its quite different than say an RPG, where you have really memorable orchestral works. Certainly this is NOT something you're going to listen to as 'music'. But in terms of drawing you in to what is happening, adding to the tension, etc ... I think this is one of the most compelling works I've heard.

The PS3 can be set to output PCM. But I haven't tested to see if there is much of a difference. Matters the quality of the original samples. No matter what, the sound effects will be uncompressed ... but I don't know if the sample quality was sufficient to make much of an audible difference.

Raistlin

JRW said:
But after viewing all of those high res comparison shots in your link I'd have to give the nod to 360 overall.

As far as I can tell, the difference is from the typical contrast, brightness, saturation, etc. differences the GPU's are defaulted to. You can easily calibrate that to your liking on most TV's.

The one problem with the 360 though is that it sometimes has white crush (do to defaulted high contrast) that can't be fixed.

epmode said:
OK now I regret buying this piece of shit.

Setting the PC version up to work with my 360 wired controller has been a disaster. Even using the XBCD drivers (so I can set any button to do exactly what I want), I cannot come up with a scheme to match the console controls. Navigating menus is a disaster since only some of the buttons I've mapped even work.

And seriously, what the fuck @ editing an external text file for gamepad controls.

Fuck you EA.

(I'm sure I'd have loved the game on consoles but I'm not buying this twice)
Use the mouse and keyboard. It's really not as bad as people say.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Onix said:
What is this, Lost?

0_0

Its a decoder for the alien language written on the walls in some areas. Apparently some of them are background stuff, others are cheat codes

stuck in chapter 2:
backtracking from the zero-g area to blow up the barricade and back in imaging diagnostics there is no tank this time to telekenesis into place to make it over the gap, the only thing I can do is jump down the gap but there doesn't seem to be any way to make it out of there. did I miss a jump button or something?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
HK-47 said:
Its a decoder for the alien language written on the walls in some areas. Apparently some of them are background stuff, others are cheat codes

I just wanna know what flashes at the end.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just finished chapter 6.

:eek:oooo

definitely the best game i've played all year. it's going to take something really special to top this by year's end.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Foreign Jackass said:
I didn't like Doom 3, but I adore RE4, Bioshock and System Shock 2. Is it still possible that I'll love this game?
I'd wager a yes.

Dead Space's atmosphere and ambiance equal and I'm tempted to say surpass that of SS2.

JRW

Onix said:
As far as I can tell, the difference is from the typical contrast, brightness, saturation, etc. differences the GPU's are defaulted to. You can easily calibrate that to your liking on most TV's.

The one problem with the 360 though is that it sometimes has white crush (do to defaulted high contrast) that can't be fixed.

There are also slight detail differences as well not related to contrast/brightness, what I did was save all of the .PNG's from http://translate.google.com/transla....hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20081025#1224953469 and switched back and forth between 360/PS3 in a picture viewer.

But yea the white crush on 360 is an issue as shown by the in game brightness adjustment, I thought it was my tv at first but no amount of tweaking can fix it, the problem is definitely coming from the 360 itself. However during actual gameplay white crush is hardly apparent.

Few compare pics:

DeadSpace_04_360.png

PS3
DeadSpace_04_PS3.png

^^ PS3's shows Shadow banding (so far only noticable in this area) Isac's suit is a little more detailed (sharper) on 360's

DeadSpace_03_360.png

PS3
DeadSpace_03_PS3.png

^^ lack of detail on the railing to the right of the screen, also the lighting from the fire (upper center) can be seen shining on the floor on 360 version.

Pretty minor stuff I suppose. There are other minor differances like this in the other shots.

Top Bottom