• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow if there's any game that you can speedrun, it's this one - just got my platinum trophy :D

Two runs in one day, one was Impossible difficulty. It was extremely fun, although a bit too easy at some points (and a bit too hard at some :lol )

Scarecrow

I have a quick question: I downloaded a suit for free on the xbox marketplace. I intend to use it later, not on my first run through. Does it automatically activate when I continue my game, or do I manually put it on some how?

Coop

The elite suit is in the store for free. What does it do (stats wise)? I was thinking of getting it but i wasn't sure if it would make the gamer a lot easier

btw im talking about the store in the game

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
My mum's in Melbourne at the moment and asked if I wanted anything. Since they were out of stock of the art books I wanted she grabbed me Dead Space instead.

Can't wait to play it. Should be perfect for Halloween.

dankir

So I finally opened the game tonight after looking like crazy for it on release day............. now time to put it in the 360.......................... :S

Narcosis

I have a quick question: I downloaded a suit for free on the xbox marketplace. I intend to use it later, not on my first run through. Does it automatically activate when I continue my game, or do I manually put it on some how?

The DL'd suit will be available any time in-game through the store for free if you DL'd it off XBL Marketplace. It'll be down on the bottom of the store's inventory menu. You have to select it as a purchase when you do your shopping at the coputer terminals, just like any other suit change in the game.

The elite suit is in the store for free. What does it do (stats wise)? I was thinking of getting it but i wasn't sure if it would make the gamer a lot easier

btw im talking about the store in the game

The Elite (and Obsidian on PS3) are both level 5 suits with full inventory carrying capacity and higher armor stats. If I remember right the Elite/Obsidian had a 15 or 20% armor rating, the downloadable Scorpion has a 25% armor rating, and the level 6 military suit you unlock by beating the game is 30%.

Scarecrow

OK, I don't know how I'm going to get through this part. I'm pretty much near the beginning, right after the ship you came in on burns up and a bunch of the zombies attack you at once. I have seven whole shots. I tried running away but they followed me. How do I get past this part? I'm playing on hard.

Narcosis

Scarecrow said:
OK, I don't know how I'm going to get through this part. I'm pretty much near the beginning, right after the ship you came in on burns up and a bunch of the zombies attack you at once. I have seven whole shots. I tried running away but they followed me. How do I get past this part? I'm playing on hard.

7 shots? Wow...

I'd try using my few shots to take out a leg on each of the walking/running monsters, then when they're on the ground using stasis to slow them down and stomp the shit out them.

And yeah, if it's right when the ship burns up in the docking bay then you have to kill all those guys to trigger the next scripted mission objective. There's many times you can run away, that's not one of them.

Zeliard

Narcosis said:
7 shots? Wow...

I'd try using my few shots to take out a leg on each of the walking/running monsters, then when they're on the ground using stasis to slow them down and stomp the shit out them.

And yeah, if it's right when the ship burns up in the docking bay then you have to kill all those guys to trigger the next scripted mission objective. There's many times you can run away, that's not one of them.

Yeah. With little ammo, go for the legs to slow them down. Also look around for explosive canisters that you can throw using kinesis. And be liberal with stasis. If you're really stuck, try going back to a store and selling things you may not need for ammo, including weapons you aren't using.

Edit: oh, you're at the way beginning? Guess you don't have the store yet.

Zeliard said:
Yeah. With little ammo, go for the legs to slow them down. Also look around for explosive canisters that you can throw using kinesis. And be liberal with stasis. If you're really stuck, try going back to a store and selling things you may not need for ammo, including weapons you aren't using. If you've even gotten to a store yet, that is.

How do you throw things with kinesis? I didn't know it was possible, I just thought it was used for grabbing things.

Zeliard

Jack Scofield said:
How do you throw things with kinesis? I didn't know it was possible, I just thought it was used for grabbing things.

When you're holding something with kinesis, press R1 and it'll fire it forward gravity gun-style. Comes in very handy at times, since there are usually explosives around you. You can also throw dead bodies and other items at enemies.

PARANO1A

I got to the end of level 3 before discovering you could smash the green crates for ammo and money. God damn, I feel like starting over, since I'll always be that little bit worse off than I could have been.

Narcosis

Jack Scofield said:

You just pick up object, aim it like you would a gun (the gun reticles still show) and press the fire button. Some objects will kill, some will just stun an opponet, it all depends on what you're tossing.

And by all means if you see a head lying around pick it up and toss it at something. The juicy squishing noise when it pops is worth it :lol

Zeliard said:
When you're holding something with kinesis, press R1 and it'll fire it forward gravity gun-style. Comes in very handy at times, since there are usually explosives around you. You can also throw dead bodies and other items at enemies.

So that's right trigger on 360, right? That would have made some parts in zero-g a LOT easier had I known about it. :lol

Thanks.

Fake edit: It doesn't take away your gun's ammo when you shoot while using kinesis, right?

Zeliard

Jack Scofield said:
So that's right trigger on 360, right? That would have made some parts in zero-g a LOT easier had I known about it. :lol

Thanks.

Yep, that should be the right trigger on the 360, if that's primary fire.

Raistlin

Jax said:
Impressions:

VISUALS
expected it to be better to be honest. It look good but I've seen better. They chosen to make Isaac a bit big on screen so everything is a bit zoomed in (maybe to retain tension) but I find it weird. The game is quite jaggy and can look muddy. (52" lcdtv) Is this UE3?

IMO, the game gets more impressive later on. That said, if it looks quite jaggy and muddy, I'd have to say there is something wrong with your setup.

Yes, it has aliasing, but its not particularly bad ... and muddy? Not really. The game is REALLY impressive overall.

And no, not UE3.

Holy fuck the game just stepped shit up in Chapter 9. I am gonna have to stop being cheap and buy some ammo. I have been trying to buy ammo as little as possible. I just had to waste some contact energy that I was trying to save to sell.
Fucking Valor
lol

haha I just nailed one of those fast fuckers in the face with a box just as he came out of the vent

It is really starting to get tense trying to make it to the next store without blowing any more contact energy.

jax (old)

Banned
Onix said:
IMO, the game gets more impressive later on. That said, if it looks quite jaggy and muddy, I'd have to say there is something wrong with your setup.

Yes, it has aliasing, but its not particularly bad ... and muddy? Not really. The game is REALLY impressive overall.

And no, not UE3.

demigod said:
Are you serious? I would need to look very hard to notice the jaggies, and it's barely noticeable even so.

How big is your tv. Its got very visible jaggies. Openign sequence landing sequence with the major sun + flare and that spaceship cockpit = jaggies all over. Game look good but hasn't wowed me yet.

I think the muddy comment has to do with some of the textures + palette that the game uses. I'll play more - those were my initial impressions. I do like the game so far.

Banned
Metal environments with lighting like this tends to be rather high contrast—e.g. bright shiny edge where a light hits it and a dark edge that's out of the light, which will make aliasing a lot more obvious than normal, so some aliasing is to be expected with a game like this.

If you don't have sharpness or other ‘enhancements’ set up properly on your display though, they will make it much, much worse.

I wouldn't say that it looks ‘muddy’ though—I think that's more to do with the fact that you're playing on an LCD rather than the game itself. (dark content does tend to be a bit of a mess on LCDs)

eso76

deejay8595 said:
Your on a damn Spaceship.....This game isn't meant to have an environment as if you were outdoors. Also what are you talking about saying their are only 3-4 different monsters? there are about 9-10 different one's I can think of.

Having the entire game take place on a spaceship was a convenient design choice, and still there could be a lot more variety in locales.
But like i said, i haven't really gotten very far into the game, those are just my first impressions, but i'm thinking this is one of those cases where good atmosphere can make a game with rather standard mechanics get so much praise (see Condemned, which was certainly a worse game though).
I did say 'better than re4' in regards to basic core mechanics -controlling your character and shooting, that's it- which certainly isn't the main reason RE4 was such a great game.
Capcom's masterpiece was just stuffed with awesome, the game was continuously throwing amazing moments at you, a 20 hours long journey into the awesome which basically never felt tired or stretched. So far DS hasn't come remotely close to it;
i'm not nitpicking, why would i be ? i bought the game, i have no interest in dissing it, it just hasn't given me any real holy shit moment so far.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Zeliard said:
You are correct. That was possibly my favorite chapter in the game. Loved the split objectives which gave it a more open-ended feel, and that part you're talking about is great.

HK-47 said:
Its pretty.

PRETTY FUCKING EPIC

Indeed. What a game. I'm at chapter 8 now and I don't want it to end.

RoH

This game is awesome! best game I've played in a very long time.

Oh PC's if you can't start the game under Vista, deleting the settings.txt file from the \AppData\Local\Electronics Arts\Dead Space folder seems to help.

Iksenpets

Banned
Just finished it tonight. Awesome game. My favorite of the year so far. I wish I hadn't played it on hard, and I thought the story was pretty forgettable, especially in the inevitable comparison to BioShock, but everything else about it was amazing. I would say I enjoyed the gameplay even more than BioShock or RE4.

MMaRsu

Hmm so I was watching the anime last night, and it was fucking awesome.

Need ... this....game :(

Daruniaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :p

I've decided to try and grow some balls and actually play this game (with the lights on and the door open) and it's really, really great. When I first say this game, I just rolled my eyes and figured it was just EA trying to grab some of BioShocks success, but man oh man is this game giving me a good time.

I love you, EA.

Rlan

I'm up to Chapter 9 so far.

I am loving it, but I would say my main complaint is that their just is never enough money around for me to do what I want to do. I want to upgrade these weapons but those Nodes are hard to come by. I could buy some but I'm having a hard enough time finding all the cash I can so I can get more ammo for the weapons I have. I've run out of ammo a lot during this game, to where I only had one weapon left sometimes.

and I search EVERYWHERE for any crates I can break or things I can open. Argh. If there weren't any empty nodes required to fill up I'd probably be much happier with it.

I got up to the point where you help your girlfriend, but I had next to no ammo on me whatsoever, even when I was scavenging it from whatever I killed. Had to run all the way back to buy some more

Also there have been a few points in the game where it is almost necessary for you to die in order to learn what to do. See:
The rotating platforms that will kill you below. If you start going Left [they way you'd expect to go] you'll die because the gunk will slow you down. Also the "Cosmic Windtunnel" section.

Also the additional weapons I've added
The "pusher"? Like a shotgun blast, and the Sawblade
I feel are pretty damn useless compared to the main four weapons.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I haven't played enough of the game to judge the gameplay yet, but holy shit do the characters suck. Couldn't they have tried a little to make them interesting?

guise

Ysiadmihi said:
I haven't played enough of the game to judge the gameplay yet, but holy shit do the characters suck. Couldn't they have tried a little to make them interesting?

What, your not liking cliche-black-space-marine-captain-who-has-terrible-accent guy??

The characters have sucked in every game ive played apart from Bioshock & Half Life, ive given up expecting even semi-good ones anymore. It is a bit of a shame though because i actually thought the comics were pretty well done

Ysiadmihi said:

Story gets a bit interesting halfway in but nothing special. People expecting a Bioshockesque level of detail are going to find that it's closer to Doom3 than they might like.

Speaking of story: I watched the film and I can't recommend it. The film manages to actually botch some key parts of Dead Space's story (which is weird since you'd figure they would've been able to at least get the details right). Doesn't help that it seems to have been written by a 13 year old, with it's excessive swearing and high school humor. Watch Alien instead. Or The Thing. You'll be much better off.

kevm3

guise said:
What, your not liking cliche-black-space-marine-captain-who-has-terrible-accent guy??

The characters have sucked in every game ive played apart from Bioshock & Half Life, ive given up expecting even semi-good ones anymore. It is a bit of a shame though because i actually thought the comics were pretty well done

Why do just about all black leader guys have to be bald? lol give the man an afro or something.

65536 said:
Metal environments with lighting like this tends to be rather high contrast—e.g. bright shiny edge where a light hits it and a dark edge that's out of the light, which will make aliasing a lot more obvious than normal, so some aliasing is to be expected with a game like this.

If you don't have sharpness or other ‘enhancements’ set up properly on your display though, they will make it much, much worse.

I wouldn't say that it looks ‘muddy’ though—I think that's more to do with the fact that you're playing on an LCD rather than the game itself. (dark content does tend to be a bit of a mess on LCDs)
you hit it on the head bro.. LCD"s handle blacks in a bad way. This game looks absoutely stunning on my kuros plasma... honestly, its visuals are impressive as Crysis in "some ways' ..thats saying alot for a multi platform game..seriously. I know its in closed enviroments but still..this game is impressive and has a style of its own that sets it apart from other games of the horror space genre. Doom3,etc

Hey... the sound, i still cant get over how impressive the sound is in this game if your using a real home theater setup.. im referring to a quality setup, Yamaha receiver,surround sound speakers, powered sub,etc..this is a freaking incredible game with the sound pumped up.

EDIT: By the way, i got the pc and 360 versions...the 360 version stacks up WELL to the pc version jacked up all the way..seriously, the 360 version looks incredible..i must admit i was impressed with the 360 version compared to the pc version.

Banned
Finished on hard in 12:22:22. Only thing I upgraded was the standard gun, well, I also upgraded Kinesis for
Zero-G Basketball
but wouldn't have otherwise, so I had 17 power nodes spare at the end of it and about 150,000 cash. Could have probably finished it off quicker, but I explored every area pretty thoroughly.

Enjoyable, but overrated—probably because it came out of nowhere for a lot of people. I doubt I'll be going back to it for New Game+ or Impossible mode and will probably just trade it in ASAP.

There was far too much combat in the game for my liking really—it seemed like every other room was full of enemies, and they all just appear out of vents etc. I mean I know they're limited in what they can do, but it got old pretty quickly. I was also disappointed to see them
just use palette swaps for tougher enemies
, it just seemed really lazy.

As weird as it probably sounds, my favourite graphical detail was the safety certification stickers on the elevators. It was just a little touch that you don't usually see in games.

big_z

pc version controls are awful. if you have a ps3 controller you can use that.

go to C:\Users\USER NAME\Documents\Electronic Arts\Dead Space

rename joypad example to just joypad, also edit the information inside to the following and then save.

Pad.RightDPad.Left = Button.16
Pad.RightDPad.Down =Button.15
Pad.RightDPad.Right = Button.14
Pad.RightDPad.Up = Button.13

Pad.Trigger.LeftTop = Button.11
Pad.Trigger.LeftBottom = Button.9
Pad.Trigger.RightTop = Button.12
Pad.Trigger.RightBottom = Button.10

Pad.Start = Button.4
Pad.Back = Button.1

Pad.LeftStick.Click = Button.2
Pad.RightStick.Click = Button.3

Pad.LeftStick.X = X-Axis
Pad.LeftStick.Y = Y-Axis.Inverted

Pad.RightStick.X = Z-Axis
Pad.RightStick.Y = Z-Rotation

the improvement in controls is immense.

eso76 said:
Having the entire game take place on a spaceship was a convenient design choice, and still there could be a lot more variety in locales.
But like i said, i haven't really gotten very far into the game, those are just my first impressions, but i'm thinking this is one of those cases where good atmosphere can make a game with rather standard mechanics get so much praise (see Condemned, which was certainly a worse game though).
I did say 'better than re4' in regards to basic core mechanics -controlling your character and shooting, that's it- which certainly isn't the main reason RE4 was such a great game.
Capcom's masterpiece was just stuffed with awesome, the game was continuously throwing amazing moments at you, a 20 hours long journey into the awesome which basically never felt tired or stretched. So far DS hasn't come remotely close to it;
i'm not nitpicking, why would i be ? i bought the game, i have no interest in dissing it, it just hasn't given me any real holy shit moment so far.

I'm only on chapter 8, but I really disagree that RE4 was "better". I can't quite articulate why... maybe it's just the raging graphics whore in me. Maybe it's the tension I feel turning every corner, opening every door... stuff I didn't feel during RE4. At this point, I can't really tell where this game will fall on my all time list, but it's certainly the best game I've played this year.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How do you move on to
the next level in Zero G bastketball? I keep improving the highscore, but the game's stuck on level 1.

Saya

MMaRsu said:
Hmm so I was watching the anime last night, and it was fucking awesome.

Need ... this....game :(

Yeah, this game is awesome. You must get it and it is totally worth it every penny. I don't think I'll be trading it for SR2. Sorry mate. :D

Banned
Darunia said:
How do you move on to
the next level in Zero G bastketball? I keep improving the highscore, but the game's stuck on level 1.
I just walked out of the room each time to receive my prize, and it went onto the next level after that.

NameIess

Mr.Potato Head said:
you hit it on the head bro.. LCD"s handle blacks in a bad way. This game looks absoutely stunning on my kuros plasma... honestly, its visuals are impressive as Crysis in "some ways' ..thats saying alot for a multi platform game..seriously. I know its in closed enviroments but still..this game is impressive and has a style of its own that sets it apart from other games of the horror space genre. Doom3,etc

Hey... the sound, i still cant get over how impressive the sound is in this game if your using a real home theater setup.. im referring to a quality setup, Yamaha receiver,surround sound speakers, powered sub,etc..this is a freaking incredible game with the sound pumped up.

EDIT: By the way, i got the pc and 360 versions...the 360 version stacks up WELL to the pc version jacked up all the way..seriously, the 360 version looks incredible..i must admit i was impressed with the 360 version compared to the pc version.

I can confirm the same thing on the PS3, because the title on my 1080P Samsung 52" looks amazing and the boss battle pic posted above is representative of what I experienced on my setup... Obviously visuals will vary based on display, but EA did a great job delivering an amazing package on all platforms; every gamer should be pleased with their purchase.

big_z said:
pc version controls are awful. if you have a ps3 controller you can use that.

go to C:\Users\USER NAME\Documents\Electronic Arts\Dead Space

rename joypad example to just joypad, also edit the information inside to the following and then save.

Pad.RightDPad.Left = Button.16
Pad.RightDPad.Down =Button.15
Pad.RightDPad.Right = Button.14
Pad.RightDPad.Up = Button.13

Pad.Trigger.LeftTop = Button.11
Pad.Trigger.LeftBottom = Button.9
Pad.Trigger.RightTop = Button.12
Pad.Trigger.RightBottom = Button.10

Pad.Start = Button.4
Pad.Back = Button.1

Pad.LeftStick.Click = Button.2
Pad.RightStick.Click = Button.3

Pad.LeftStick.X = X-Axis
Pad.LeftStick.Y = Y-Axis.Inverted

Pad.RightStick.X = Z-Axis
Pad.RightStick.Y = Z-Rotation

the improvement in controls is immense.
Do NOT listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm 5 hours in the game and having zero problems with the controls. Just force Vsync on from your Video Card and turn it off via game settings and the controls will be absolutely fine.

Top Bottom