• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Zeliard

Darunia said:
That'll have to wait for a while. I left Lost Odyssey halfway through and Fable II is coming in the mail this week. busy times for all!

Dead Space, Fable 2, LittleBigPlanet, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and Gamefly just sent me Saints Row 2.

Fuck you, gaming industry. Fuck you, with love.

JB1981 said:
OK OK!! I'm gonna go at it again. I'm so scared. BTW the zero-g in this game is fucking out of control. I don't think I've ever played a game that made me believe I was so THERE before. My god, what a game.

The sound and visual effects of zero-g are brilliant. BRILLIANT!

JimiNutz

Banned
Just beat it as well. I fucking loved it but kind of regret playing through on Medium, since it was too easy. I'd read on GAF that it was easy on medium, but I'm not especially great at gaming anyway and I decided that I'd play only using the cutter first time through to add some challenge, it was still pretty easy though.

Other than that I loved every second of it. Ending was pretty fucking awesome although I could have done without the spoilers in the achievements list-even if that particular spoiler was pretty obvious. It's a shame you have to play through on the same difficulty on your second run. I read earlier that if you start another game right after your second playthough you can keep on your weapons/upgrades and still change the difficulty, is this true?

Can’t wait to see where they go with a sequel. I’d like a little more enemy variety next time though, and more awesome boss fights. Oh I should also probably mention that this is the best game that I've played this year :D

Morts

I agree that Medium is too easy except I might have to do a run on Easy
to get the trophy for surviving the ADS cannon with 50% shield strength
. I'm not looking forward to that when I attempt Impossible.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Chiggs said:
There's standard AA and then Gamma Correction AA.
Well what I meant to be asking is whether there is a way for us to enhance the AA, beyond what the game offers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just found out - PS3 version does in fact support dts, in the best EA tradition.

However, it defaults to DD5.1 for whatever silly reason, so to get dts you need to go to PS3 XMB audio settings, disable DD5.1 so that you only have dts selected, and then when you start the game, it plays audio in dts.

Incidentally, same thing goes for LBP. Weird how both games default to DD5.1 when most games that support both, default to dts.

Mar

gray_fox224 said:
You can't, so be careful.

Wat?

I just downloaded the xbox suit because it said "FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY". I haven't used it yet, or fired up the game since. Please tell me I haven't fucked up my game.

Geoff9920

Mar_ said:
Wat?

I just downloaded the xbox suit because it said "FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY". I haven't used it yet, or fired up the game since. Please tell me I haven't fucked up my game.
You're fine, you have to actually select it when you get to one of the stores in-game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't get enough of this game. I just beat it again (fourth time). Simply amazing. I still can't understand how good and intense the *boss spoiler*
Leviathan battle
is...

Mar

Geoff9920 said:
You're fine, you have to actually select it when you get to one of the stores in-game.

Thanks.

I must admit I get paranoid about first play throughs and don't want anything changing the experience. Especially something that could be considered 'cheating'.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mar_ said:
Wat?

DLing the suit is fine, but if you actually put it on at a store you can't go back to your normal suit.

Really late.

epmode

So if I was to just ignore the level 2 suit, would I be able to skip straight to level 3 when I find the schematic? Or will I be forced to buy level 2 first.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mar_ said:
Thanks.

I must admit I get paranoid about first play throughs and don't want anything changing the experience. Especially something that could be considered 'cheating'.
Speaking of cheating, don't forget to use the 5-nodes-"cheat". Only possible to use once per game run and I wouldn't really call it a cheat.

JRW

Holy crap I just installed PC's version and it runs at a solid 60fps with high quality settings, it doesnt really look any different from 360's version but its great at 60fps, Only downside is slight mouse lag even with Vsync disabled. I have it running to my 50" Plasma via DVI > HDMI cable.

gray_fox224

Marconelly said:
Just found out - PS3 version does in fact support dts, in the best EA tradition.

However, it defaults to DD5.1 for whatever silly reason, so to get dts you need to go to PS3 XMB audio settings, disable DD5.1 so that you only have dts selected, and then when you start the game, it plays audio in dts.

Incidentally, same thing goes for LBP. Weird how both games default to DD5.1 when most games that support both, default to dts.

WHOA! Thanks for that tip.

Sean

Banned
Mar_ said:

If you're playing on X360 the cheat for 5 power nodes (a one time use) is pressing "YXYXXYXXYXXY" on pause menu. They don't disable achievements so there isn't a downside to using it.

Just got this for PC. Should I use my 360 controller with the game? There aren't any control options to use a gamepad, it pretty much just works, though all the prompts are undoubtedly going to be in PC talk, which might make it difficult (especially with QTE).

Zzoram

TheHeretic said:
Just got this for PC. Should I use my 360 controller with the game? There aren't any control options to use a gamepad, it pretty much just works, though all the prompts are undoubtedly going to be in PC talk, which might make it difficult (especially with QTE).

If it's a smart port, it'll change the prompts to 360 pad if you plug in the pad.

You can try M/KB and 360 pad, and see which you prefer.

Zzoram said:
If it's a smart port, it'll change the prompts to 360 pad if you plug in the pad.

You can try M/KB and 360 pad, and see which you prefer.

Yeah except the controls aren't even exclusive. Right now I can use the gamepad and the mouse to look around (i'm still in the intro). Very weird.

robot

Just finished it - one of the best single player games I've played in awhile. Just felt so solid throughout, really fun gunplay, atmosphere, sound....just awesome.

I immediately started a new game after the credits...gonna try and get the "Max Out" achievement.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Someone help me out so I can stop wasting ammo. Chapter 2
how exactly do you kill those babies? Sometimes they come out of stasis dead, sometimes they still live.

robot

K.Jack said:
how exactly do you kill those babies? Sometimes they come out of stasis dead, sometimes they still live.

The ones with the 3 tentacles? A Line Gun shot aimed right above the head (at the tentacle root) usually takes em out in 1 shot.

Yoshichan

K.Jack said:
If you're playing on an easy difficulty, you can just go close combat and wait for them to jump on you, press X rapidly and you'll kill them without getting damaged. Otherwise, just keep a distance and they'll pop up their tentacles. Cut off two tentacles and their dead.

RavenFox

Banned
Seiken said:
If you're playing on an easy difficulty, you can just go close combat and wait for them to jump on you, press X rapidly and you'll kill them without getting damaged. Otherwise, just keep a distance and they'll pop up their tentacles. Cut off two tentacles and their dead.
Later in the game those bastards get an upgrade. Ive been in this thread since the beginning and haven't finished it yet. Love taking my time with this gem. I go in every dark nook and cranny lol.

Drek

Seiken said:
I dunno man... I think this was the best "HOLY FUCKING S..." moment:

SPOILER!!!!!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2802/dsct4.jpg

Jesus Christ, the sound and overall atmosphere was just incredible.
That was a great boss. The single best use i found for the contact beam all game.

epmode said:
So if I was to just ignore the level 2 suit, would I be able to skip straight to level 3 when I find the schematic? Or will I be forced to buy level 2 first.
I believe so, you find schematics of them to add them to the shop like everything else. I'm not sure I'd skip any levels though, at least your first play through. Not only is the added inventory and better armor a huge benefit but it is really cool watching the progression as the suit builds up. Really adds to the atmosphere.

Also, the lower level suits are cheap as hell compared to the amount of money you'll be able to make in the game. So saving 20K credits early on at the cost of inventory and armor isn't really worth it.

Just beat the game today. One of the best so far this generation. Very good strategic shooter with some nice gameplay mechanics thrown in (tools as weapons, zero G). The Ishimura really feels like a completely designed ship, not just a series of levels stapled together. I know some complained about the backtracking but I didn't feel that way at all. You did just enough of it for it to feel appropriate. Good storyline that sets the stage but doesn't distract from the excellent action. Visuals range from solid to delicious.

While I think the plasma cutter will go down as an iconic video game gun I've got to say that I think the ripper might be my favorite weapon. The primary fire is great for a stasis combo against bosses or lopping off legs and then cleaning up for crowd control. The secondary fire also makes it versatile enough to serve as a cost effective long range weapon when low on plasma energy.

Played it on medium and it was definitely too easy. After I've played through a bunch of the games I recently picked up (Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, Metroid 3, Fable II, Rock Band 2) I'll pick this back up for a play through on hard or maybe impossible. I saved my new game+ so I'm going to see how the elite suit stacks up armor-wise. Maybe that'll be the extra bit of help I give myself to play through on impossible.

Movement

Is there something wrong with me that I just had a compulsion to stomp every limb off every dead body I came across?
There's something just so satisfying of stomping a guys arms off. This game is going to spoil me with the dismemberment, I'm gonna be trying to chop off Chimerans leg in R2 lol.

Yoshichan

RavenFox said:
Later in the game those bastards get an upgrade. Ive been in this thread since the beginning and haven't finished it yet. Love taking my time with this gem. I go in every dark nook and cranny lol.
Yeah those upgrades bastards (especially in impossible) is WOW-hard. Taking 3-4 of them at the same time was (intense but) irritating as hell.

Aldramelk

Neo Member
LukeSmith said:
So the only suit people can use is the final suit after using the Elite/Obsidian suit?

The only suit you can use after you put on the DLC suits is the
post game suit, it's not really final since you can only use on new game+ or the impossible play through, you cannot switch to the normal level 5 suit edit: you can switch between the other DLC suits if you have them too I believe.

Actually, I think the obsidian/elite DLC suits are significantly weaker than the normal suits. I wanted an easier play through so I used the obsidian suit but it turns into a disadvantage a little more than half way through the game and you can't swap it out....

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, I only used the Pulse rifle and Plasma Cutter during my playthrough (briefly tried the Contact beam). How are the other weapons.

Mar

Sean said:
If you're playing on X360 the cheat for 5 power nodes (a one time use) is pressing "YXYXXYXXYXXY" on pause menu. They don't disable achievements so there isn't a downside to using it.

Ahh. I'd call that a cheat. So I'll stay clear of it for my first play through.

Drek said:
I've got to say that I think the ripper might be my favorite weapon. The primary fire is great for a stasis combo against bosses or lopping off legs and then cleaning up for crowd control. The secondary fire also makes it versatile enough to serve as a cost effective long range weapon when low on plasma energy.

Yeah I love the ripper too. I love the sound it makes as the blade is slicing against the metal floor and walls too as you're guiding it through flesh.

I was just about to comment that it has a problem though, and that is that it has no range. But by the sounds of it the secondary fire fixes that problem. For some reason, I didn't even think to try it...

Chiggs said:
So, I only used the Pulse rifle and Plasma Cutter during my playthrough (briefly tried the Contact beam). How are the other weapons.

Force gun works well for the speed demons, and groups right in front of you. Contact beam is a charge up one shot kill for many creatures, plus the secondary is good for getting out of tight spots. Line gun is a wave cannon that takes out multiple limbs at once.

Yoshichan

I just convinced two of my friends to buy this game. It only took them 25 minutes in the game.

I had a save near the
Leviathan
, so I showed them that. Instant buy.

Fuck yeah, EA deserves the sales. Spread the love!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Holy shit, Isaac is sooooo overpowered in the Clear Game mode. And he looks like a badass in a cheesy way.

Zzoram

gamerecks said:
Force gun works well for the speed demons, and groups right in front of you. Contact beam is a charge up one shot kill for many creatures, plus the secondary is good for getting out of tight spots. Line gun is a wave cannon that takes out multiple limbs at once.

I use the force gun to kill those little swarm crawling thingies, it works better than the flamethrower.

Drek

Chiggs said:
I was very unimpressed with the pulse riffle. Which makes sense as the best way to kill 95% of the enemies is cutting off limbs, so a machine gun isn't exactly going to do that well.

The Contact Beam is a good boss dropper but upgrading it is rather prohibitive. Does crazy damage if you do though. I had a pretty epic fight with
the leviathan, after tossing every fuel tank down its mouth and nearly out of plasma ammo I pulled out the contact beam, charged as I dodged the projectiles, then let it fly. One round, dead center, blew everything the F up.
. Its a good 3rd/4th gun as it is the best money maker, but it has some limited combat effectiveness outside of boss fights.

The Line Gun is a similar idea to the Contact Beam, secondary weapon with big damage. its secondary fire is much nicer than the contact beam's in my opinion though and it is a lot easier to upgrade for a reasonable cost. Its pickups (2 line racks) sell for the same as a pickup of contact ammo but you can carry four pickups of contact ammo versus only 3 pickups (6 rounds) of line racks so the contact ammo is a bit better money maker. The Line Gun was a frequent choice on my part and I got it fully upgraded, very happy with the results.

The Force Gun is interesting as I didn't really find it to do a good job of dismembering, so I left it shelved for quite a while. When I went back to it I was impressed by how well it works in crowd control. It is basically another 3rd or 4th weapon but I find the best strategy for it is to start big encounter rooms with it so you can get the big waves of enemies off balance while you go to a good primary weapon to finish them off. The ammo sells like crap and you only get 3 rounds in a pickup though, so its a financial negative to have on you.

The Flamethrower is, as far as I could tell, basically worthless. It uses a lot of fuel to do any real damage, the enemies take a long time to die from it, and the ammo sells like crap. Its good for the little green crawly monsters who jump on you, but there are nearly as easy ways to take care of them that don't come with all the liabilities.

The Ripper is probably my personal favorite gun, for the above mentioned reasons. It takes care of the little green crawlies well, takes care of the spitting enemies well thanks to the projectile secondary fire, and shreds in tight spaces with the primary for minimal ammo cost.

I personally played through the second half of the game with strictly the Plasma Cutter, Ripper, Line Gun, and alternating between the Contact Beam and Force Gun depending on if I needed to farm some cash or was expecting heavy waves of enemies. I sped through the Cutter's upgrade tree and then the Ripper's, everything else came after that.

A tip for everyone just getting into the game:
When you upgrade your rig's health or the capacity of a gun you will get your health/ammo topped out. This is a great way to get "free" stuff. I specifically held off capacity upgrades until I had a gun at or near empty and I did the same with health (instead of using a ton of healing gear I'd wait until I was near death and then upgrade the rig). It seems like a small step but when you consider that the Rig has 4 upgrades that equals nearly three full health bars (max rig) of healing items you would save by the end of the game. That'd also be over 60 rounds of Plasma Cutter ammo for example. It is a great way to stretch your loot a little further.

Aldramelk said:
The only suit you can use after you put on the DLC suits is the
post game suit, it's not really final since you can only use on new game+ or the impossible play through, you cannot switch to the normal level 5 suit edit: you can switch between the other DLC suits if you have them too I believe.

Actually, I think the obsidian/elite DLC suits are significantly weaker than the normal suits. I wanted an easier play through so I used the obsidian suit but it turns into a disadvantage a little more than half way through the game and you can't swap it out....

I'd say so. I started up Impossible, which put me in the Elite suit after my first game. I decided to go with that, fully expecting to pay for the early storage convenience with a weaker than normal defense...

And it seems to show now. Poor Isaac's limbs are sent flying with almost any direct contact with an enemy, and I'll always be at least -10% or more on defense.

---

Regardless, up to stage 10 Impossible now. That level 9
barracks section
stopped me in my tracks for a few redos. Total limb-shredding insanity.

Spike

The scorpion suit that you can purchase on XBLM or PSN Store, is that also findable in the game itself or is the only way to get that suit to purchase it as DLC?

Top Bottom