• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Raistlin

JRW said:
But yea the white crush on 360 is an issue as shown by the in game brightness adjustment, I thought it was my tv at first but no amount of tweaking can fix it, the problem is definitely coming from the 360 itself. However during actual gameplay white crush is hardly apparent.

Yeah, if you have white or black crush to begin with, nothing can fix it. It probably won't show itself often, but it is an issue with exaggerated contrast.

^^ lack of detail on the railing to the right of the screen, also the lighting from the fire (upper center) can be seen shining on the floor on 360 version.

Pretty minor stuff I suppose. There are other minor differances like this in the other shots.

Agreed, but if you read the lol-worthy translation, they mention this is the only place they noticed such a difference.

From what's known so far, this and the weird lighting artifact shown in the beginning are the only known differences.

JB1981

Well, alright, because I'm sick of dying and having to redo this sequence over and over again I'm going to ask for some help from somebody who's beaten the game.

I'm on Chapter 7 and I'm trying to plant the beacon on the asteroid. I have tried stasis on the spinning things, on the windmill type machine thing and on the asteroid itself but it never slows down the blades. Do I even need to use stasis? I know there's is a lull after they stop, but I don't think I have enough time to plant the bomb and make a quick escape. Help me.

epmode

OK, after spending about 2 hours playing around with my wired 360 controller and the XBCD drivers, I've found a working config. Plays exactly like the console release (or at least it matches the controls I found at Gamefaqs).

To use it, you need to do 2 things:

Go to your My Documents folder, then Electronic Arts, then Dead Space. Create a file called joypad.txt and paste this into it:

Pad.Back = Button.8
Pad.LeftStick.Click = Button.9
Pad.LeftStick.X = X-Axis
Pad.LeftStick.Y = Y-Axis.Inverted
Pad.RightDPad.Down = Button.1
Pad.RightDPad.Left = Button.3
Pad.RightDPad.Right = Button.2
Pad.RightDPad.Up = Button.4
Pad.RightStick.Click = Button.10
Pad.RightStick.X = Z-Axis
Pad.RightStick.Y = Z-Rotation
Pad.Start = Button.7
Pad.Trigger.LeftBottom = Button.11
Pad.Trigger.LeftTop = Button.5
Pad.Trigger.RightBottom = Button.12
Pad.Trigger.RightTop = Button.6

In order for this to work properly, you're also going to need XBCD drivers (which requires a corded 360 controller).

When the drivers are up and running, make a backup of your current settings (click Save in the XBCD config screen), then download and load this configuration: http://epmode.com/XBCD/DeadSpace.zip

Make sure you click Apply after loading them.

About 30 minutes into the game, everything seems to work correctly, including menu navigation.

Stuneseht

JB1981 said:
Well, alright, because I'm sick of dying and having to redo this sequence over and over again I'm going to ask for some help from somebody who's beaten the game.

I'm on Chapter 7 and I'm trying to plant the beacon on the asteroid. I have tried stasis on the spinning things, on the windmill type machine thing and on the asteroid itself but it never slows down the blades. Do I even need to use stasis? I know there's is a lull after they stop, but I don't think I have enough time to plant the bomb and make a quick escape. Help me.

this took me forever to figure out.
What you need to do is destroy the windmill type machines with your stasis. then time your jump on the big asteroid, to then go on the other side of it and destroy the last to windmill things. also, plant the bomb while you are on the other side of the asteroid.

What causes that in the PS3 version but not any of the others?

Does that shadow banding show up in the PC version? That can't be right.

DeadSpace_04_PS3.png

DarkKyo

Is anyone else in the same boat with me? I love this game a lot(just got to chapter 3) but I'm actually too scared to play it most of the time.

Man, I am such a pussy.

JB1981

Stuneseht said:
this took me forever to figure out.
What you need to do is destroy the windmill type machines with your stasis. then time your jump on the big asteroid, to then go on the other side of it and destroy the last to windmill things. also, plant the bomb while you are on the other side of the asteroid.

i
destroyed both gravity tethers AND planted the beacon and the game is still fucking asking e to destroy the tethers. w. t. f.

rabhw

JB1981 said:
i
destroyed both gravity tethers AND planted the beacon and the game is still fucking asking e to destroy the tethers. w. t. f.

There are FOUR tethers, after killing the first two, jump onto the meteor and quickly run around to the other side. There are two more there. Destroy those, and THEN plant the beacon on that side (where the swooping blade things won't reach).

Stuneseht

JB1981 said:
i

Yeah, on the other side of the asteroid is two more tethers. time your jump onto the asteroid, so you can run on the other side of the asteroid; if you noticed, the two moving things don't go fully around the asteroid- just the front half.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
JB1981 said:
i
There are four tethers. Two on the side you enter the room from and another two on the OTHER side of the asteroid. One you've done that, and planted the beacon, head to the control room (or whatever it's called, I forget, lol)

Beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaten.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rabhw said:
Just beat it, quite liked it myself. My main complaints are that the last third of the game essentially degraded into a Serious Sam game, where you enter a room, all the doors lock, 10 enemies rush out, kill them, doors unlock, proceed. That and I really feel like the game could have probably ended around chapter 6 or 7 if they had compressed 90% of the shit they had you running around doing for everyone else who are apparently only a fraction as competent as you are.

Still awesome.

Your latter statment makes no sense as Hammond was running around and Kendra had barricaded herself in the computer core and being a comp expert she would do the most good there. And
Kyne was paranoid so I was surprised he even came to fly the shuttle

As for the first part, only the last few room of the game really had that quarantine effect. And the shuttle docking bay, but that was a boss fight

rabhw

HK-47 said:
Your latter statment makes no sense as Hammond was running around and Kendra had barricaded herself in the computer core and being a comp expert she would do the most good there. And
Kyne was paranoid so I was surprised he even came to fly the shuttle

As for the first part, only the last few room of the game really had that quarantine effect. And the shuttle docking bay, but that was a boss fight

Aside from character-driven reasons, my point was there was a significant amount of filler to artificially lengthen the game. The "lockdown" effect most certainly was NOT only for the last few rooms, it happened a LOT throughout the latter stages of the game.

Big-E

JB1981 said:
i

There are 4 total.

EDIT: I was real slow.

guise

Yeah that puzzle stumped me aswell, it wasnt designed terribly greatly, at least the objectives werent clear enough.

Just started chapter 11 now and the game still has me gripped

Barrett2

Ch. 6 boss HELP!!

How the hell do I beat this god damn thing? I am pretty sure I am doing it right,
I am throwing back the rocks he spits and am hitting him each time hearing him groan, but how many times do I have to hit this thing? Give me a break, after a while I eventually run out of damn ammo!!

dralla

lawblob said:
Ch. 6 boss HELP!!

How the hell do I beat this god damn thing? I am pretty sure I am doing it right,
I am throwing back the rocks he spits and am hitting him each time hearing him groan, but how many times do I have to hit this thing? Give me a break, after a while I eventually run out of damn ammo!!

gun him down with the pulse rifle.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dechaios said:
Is anyone else in the same boat with me? I love this game a lot(just got to chapter 3) but I'm actually too scared to play it most of the time.

Man, I am such a pussy.
Here's a bro-grab from a fellow pussy.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just watched Downfall and the back story is great. It was nice seeing the events leading up to the game. A lot of things was explained, particularly which idiot did what to start all this crap. The Necromorphs seemed smarter than we were led, kills were as brutal as in-game. If only that laser chainsaw weapon was in the game. The whole thing was short but pretty enjoyable.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Wow, the 360 pad really is like night and day compared to the keyboard for this game. I can't believe just how bad they screwed the mouse controls up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gregor7777 said:
What causes that in the PS3 version but not any of the others
Probably some gradient mis-calculation. I have never noticed it to be honest. It must be a rather rare occurrence, as suggested on the site where that image came from. There are places with blocky shadows though, but I've seen them in videos on all versions.

Naeblish

Ysiadmihi said:
Wow, the 360 pad really is like night and day compared to the keyboard for this game. I can't believe just how bad they screwed the mouse controls up.
How is that? I put the mouse sensitivity to its highest and the game plays great on my pc.

Snaku

Banned
I've been on a relatively solid media black out on this game; partly because I don't want to be spoiled, and partly because I didn't have money when it launched early. Well I downloaded the comics on PSN last night and watched them at 3 AM. They were enough to convince me to pick up the game today, even though I can't really afford it. Hope it's good.

aerofx

:lol I just saw the main characters face in the intro. After they crash land just keep holding the analog stick to the left and it'll rotate around isaac. must be a bug.

Chiggs said:
Yeah, I'm a masochist for playing the game on my 26" Samsung monitor at 1080p (rock-solid 60 fps), with a wireless 360 controller.
you lucky bastard.

i could only imagine how awesome this game would feel @ 60FPS.

t0va

HUGE SPOILER!!!!! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME!!!! don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread.

take the first letter from each chapter title and it spells "Nicole is dead"

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Got up to chapter 3 last night, so far its been pretty awesome, being more "strategic" shooting off legs then running away and taking them out from a distance seems to be the best way of doing things.

Scotch

Finished the game tonight and I loved every minute of it. I'm definitely keeping my eye on whatever Redwood Shores does next.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
t0va said:
HUGE SPOILER!!!!! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME!!!! don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread.

take the first letter from each chapter title and it spells "Nicole is dead"

Yeah its been mentioned

eso76

holy shit, i just discovered they actually used Dario Argento's voice for one character in the game.

Terrible.

JSnake

Chiggs said:
Yeah, I'm a masochist for playing the game on my 26" Samsung monitor at 1080p (rock-solid 60 fps), with a wireless 360 controller.

Wait what? You mean it isn't locked at 30 FPS? I just got the PC version and my FPS hasn't BUDGED at all from 30 FPS.

t0va

somewhere in the thread someone said you have to force vsync in your videocard options, and disable vsync ingame.

f@luS

More than a member.
JSnake said:
Wait what? You mean it isn't locked at 30 FPS? I just got the PC version and my FPS hasn't BUDGED at all from 30 FPS.
the ingame vsync sux, it caps at 30

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Darunia said:
I'm gonna do the one weapon run now and once that's finished, I might just lend you the game :p
Don't forget to do impossible run ;)

JB1981

rabhw said:
There are FOUR tethers, after killing the first two, jump onto the meteor and quickly run around to the other side. There are two more there. Destroy those, and THEN plant the beacon on that side (where the swooping blade things won't reach).

OK OK!! I'm gonna go at it again. I'm so scared. BTW the zero-g in this game is fucking out of control. I don't think I've ever played a game that made me believe I was so THERE before. My god, what a game.

Top Bottom