• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Chiggs

Gold Member
Drek said:
I was very unimpressed with the pulse rifle. Which makes sense as the best way to kill 95% of the enemies is cutting off limbs, so a machine gun isn't exactly going to do that well.

Nice write-up. As far as the Pulse rifle goes, once I started upgrading it, its value became quite apparent. It stops anything in its tracks. In fact, I love the Pulse Rifle so much, I'm dedicating this screenshot to it.

Drek said:
A tip for everyone just getting into the game:
When you upgrade your rig's health or the capacity of a gun you will get your health/ammo topped out. This is a great way to get "free" stuff. I specifically held off capacity upgrades until I had a gun at or near empty and I did the same with health (instead of using a ton of healing gear I'd wait until I was near death and then upgrade the rig). It seems like a small step but when you consider that the Rig has 4 upgrades that equals nearly three full health bars (max rig) of healing items you would save by the end of the game. That'd also be over 60 rounds of Plasma Cutter ammo for example. It is a great way to stretch your loot a little further.

Yep. Smart planning around these free refills is almost a necessity during an Impossible run.

When do I get my hands on that ripper weapon? So far i've just been upgrading my suit and i've heard that weapon is gore packed fun, so I don't want to invest in anything else just yet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BuckRobotron said:
Yep. Smart planning around these free refills is almost a necessity during an Impossible run.

Wait a second. Is the Hard difficulty enough to get the Epic Tier 3 Engineer (Complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting) trophy/achievement?

Besides, what's this Peng Treasure? Where is it? I've just started the final chapter and I probably missed it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TTP said:
Wait a second. Is the Hard difficulty enough to get the Epic Tier 3 Engineer (Complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting) trophy/achievement?

Besides, what's this Peng Treasure? Where is it? I've just started the final chapter and I probably missed it.
No, one run is impossible to get Epic Tier 3 Engineer. I got it on one run and 6 chapters in new game plus.

Peng is
just below the ship you're about the enter near the end of chapter 11. EDIT: Where that dude gets killed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Seiken said:
No, one run is impossible to get Epic Tier 3 Engineer. I got it on one run and 6 chapters in new game plus.

wut? Sorry, could u elaborate a bit more? I'm not sure I understand.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TTP said:
wut? Sorry, could u elaborate a bit more? I'm not sure I understand.
I'm an idiot, sorry (was thinking of Maxed Out trophy).

And no, you must beat Impossible to get that trophy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Seiken said:
You want to go hard on your first run?

I already did. I'm on the last chapter. So, in order to get the rest of the trophies I'll have to play the game at least two more times.

One on Impossible for the above mentioned trophy.
One for maxing out everything and using the plasma cutter alone (I'll do this on Easy).

Damn, Hard was indeed hard. Can't even imagine how impossible is Impossible.

Yoshichan

TTP said:
I already did. I'm on the last chapter. So, in order to get the rest of the trophies I'll have to play the game at least two times more. One on Impossible for the above mentioned trophy. One for maxing out everything and using the plasma cutter alone.
Yeah. I hope you didn't overwrite your hard save because I would use that save for the "plasma cutter" and "maxing out" trophies. Though both are most definitely possible on impossible (I did the plasma cutter trophy on my impossible run).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Seiken said:
Yeah. I hope you didn't overwrite your hard save because I would use that save for the "plasma cutter" and "maxing out" trophies. Though both are most definitely possible on impossible (I did the plasma cutter trophy on my impossible run).

How do u max out on Hard? I didn't max out a single weapon due to those nodes shortages. I was thinking about doing that on Easy (I assume I'll find plenty of nodes to do that on that difficulty).

Yoshichan

TTP said:
How do u max out on Hard? I didn't max out a single weapon due to those nodes shortages. I was thinking about doing that on Easy.
1 run and 6 chapters was enough to max out, I only used the plasma cutter so ammo was the only thing I bought. I sold everything else (except for medicine), that gave me tons of money that I'd spend on nodes.

EDIT: And find those ruby/diamond gems/whatever :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Seiken said:
1 run and 6 chapters was enough to max out, I only used the plasma cutter so ammo was the only thing I bought. I sold everything else (except for medicine), that gave me tons of money that I'd spend on nodes.

Semiconductors

Also get the Peng Trophy since it is the most valuable item in the game at 30,000 creds

KTallguy

Banned
Wow at all this trophy impossible run talk.

I am enjoying this game IMMENSELY on Hard difficulty.

What a fantastic game. Go EA Redwood.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Seiken said:

I see. Well, will try that.

Scarecrow

Man, I'm only half way through chapter 2, and this game is freaking me out. I'm filled with dispair as I'm faced with the task of moving on from a brightly lit room to a shadowy hallway.

KTallguy

Banned
Scarecrow said:
Man, I'm only half way through chapter 2, and this game is freaking me out. I'm filled with dispair as I'm faced with the task of moving on from a brightly lit room to a shadowy hallway.

It's definitely Western-style shock/scare horror, but they've mixed some dread and stuff in there.
Once you get the ability to move objects, I start to cheat and move corpses around just in case :lol

Just finished it.
the ending was disappointing. I had heard that seeing his face was a big reveal... and nothing happened. I think it had the action down great, but you could really see the Bioshock influence in the storytelling. Bioshock was far better on that front, while the combat really was weak.

This game only reminds me how RE4 is brilliant. Guns are more fun than cutters.

KTallguy said:
Once you get the ability to move objects, I start to cheat and move corpses around just in case :lol
Holy shit thats a great idea. I always
run up to them stomping like a mad man.

vas_a_morir said:
Just finished it.
the ending was disappointing. I had heard that seeing his face was a big reveal... and nothing happened. I think it had the action down great, but you could really see the Bioshock influence in the storytelling. Bioshock was far better on that front, while the combat really was weak.

Except RE4 has unbelievably terrible gun play, where as this game nails the control scheme. And the plasma cutter is one of the best go to weapons ever, <3 directional damage.

Pewp

I haven't been more shocked by a game since RE4. Just beat it and loved every minute.

I knew it was amazing when my dad made sure he was watching every time I played it. Last time that happened was RE4.

maxax

Chiggs said:
Nice write-up. As far as the Pulse rifle goes, once I started upgrading it, its value became quite apparent. It stops anything in its tracks. In fact, I love the Pulse Rifle so much, I'm dedicating this screenshot to it.

I have to agree with this, I tried upgrading the Pulse Rifle to the maximum and was shocked at it's incredible power. Probably the best secondary weapon in the game when upgraded. It has like 150 shots in one clip and one enemy takes 10-15 maximum if you're aiming correctly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
vas_a_morir said:
Just finished it.

No it was definitely SS2 that influenced DS. The only place I felt the Bioshock influence was in the tram cars taking you around the ship. RE4, SS2, Metroid Prime and Doom 3 all felt like much bigger influences

Acid08

Banned
So which console is this supposed to look better on? I don't want to start a flame war but I'm picking this up tomorrow and would like to know :).

Iksenpets

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
Got a feeling this was the SS3 game that was rumoured a while back, it just got turned into dead space.

I believe way back when when all the Surfer Girl rumors were running rampant, Dead Space originally having been SS3 was one of them, and after playing it, I fully believe it.

Danielsan

Acid08 said:
So which console is this supposed to look better on? I don't want to start a flame war but I'm picking this up tomorrow and would like to know :).
They look indistinguishable. Get it on whatever system you prefer.

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
Got a feeling this was the SS3 game that was rumoured a while back, it just got turned into dead space.
I can certainly believe that. The loading screen in particular gave me a real SS2 vibe.

I'm glad that it wasn't System Shock 3 though, as I really don't think it's that calibre of game. It's good, but not great, in my opinion. Starts off strong, but goes downhill quite a bit in the last third or so.

Acid08 said:
It seems to look marginally better on 360, but it's really not worth bothering about. Just pick it up for whichever one you prefer the controls on.

Eteric Rice

Didn't someone say that the PS3 version does 1080p?

I was thinking about getting this too.

Even I get an urge for a shooter sometimes. >_>

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Acid08 said:
I'd suggest going by controller preference.

Acid08

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
I'd suggest going by controller preference.
I really like both though :(. I think the PS3 box mixes with the boxart better but I want my Gamerscore higher....all these fucking decisions.

JimiNutz

Banned
So is it true that after completing your second game+ run you can carry your weapons, upgrades, and suit over to a third play through on impossible? I'm pretty sure I read that in this thread somewhere.

Haunted

So after a selling spree and subsequently pouring 7 or 8 nodes into the Cutter just now, I renamed it from Plasma Cutter into the God Cutter.

Ridiculously good.

demigod said:
People playing this on hard, are ya'll using the cheat codes?
No. As you play the game gets easier. I'm towards the end of chapter nine and have an abundance of money and everything I'm using almost maxed out. Only using the Cutter to acquire that achievement.

rareside

Just finished this tonight.

While I enjoyed the things that most others are praising the game for, what also stood out to me was the lack of wasted time. I never felt like the game was artificially adding length to the game. The developers did a great job designing this game from the ground up.

This is easily a contender for my personal GoTY.

Banned
demigod said:
People playing this on hard, are ya'll using the cheat codes?
No need for cheat codes. Finished the game on Hard my first time through, using only the Plasma Cutter and no rig/stasis upgrades.

I hate that games lock out harder difficulties from the start, as I'm not going to go through the game again and would probably have enjoyed the next one up.

Feindflug

I finished the first chapter yesterday and all I have to say is that the game is soooo good - definitely wasn't expecting something that polished..a really pleasant surprise.

Also congs to EA Redwood for making both versions of the game identical, played the PS3 version to a friend and didn't notice any differences - they really did a great job. :)

I can't wait to come back from work tonight to play again. :D

RoH

Ysiadmihi said:
Wow, the 360 pad really is like night and day compared to the keyboard for this game. I can't believe just how bad they screwed the mouse controls up.

I don't know about that. I have the frame rate locked at 60fps; no mouse lag and i'm using the N52te. I think this combination beats the a game pad hand over foot.

TTP said:
How do u max out on Hard? I didn't max out a single weapon due to those nodes shortages. I was thinking about doing that on Easy (I assume I'll find plenty of nodes to do that on that difficulty).

I am playing on hard and I only purchased 1 extra power node so far; The Plasma cuter is maxed out, but it's the only weapon I have used and the only item I have upgraded at the work bench so far.

MMaRsu

Darunia said:
I'm gonna do the one weapon run now and once that's finished, I might just lend you the game :p

dumb_dumber6.jpg

"So your telling me there's a chance?"

:p woohoo

dk_

HALF-TIME

Chapter 6 was epic.

Beat the boss on my first try, but wasted all my ammo before figuring out what to do. :lol

The game gets better and better... I'm so happy I restarted on hard, because I love the fact that you have to manage your ammo. This really adds a good amount of tension for me.

I concentrated on upgrading my suit in terms of hp and ignored the air bubbles. That's good, GAF, isn't it? Also spent a couple of nodes on the Plasma Cutter und Line Gun.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
RoH said:
I don't know about that. I have the frame rate locked at 60fps; no mouse lag and i'm using the N52te. I think this combination beats the a game pad hand over foot.

I turned v-sync off in game and enabled it in the nVidia control panel and it still feels sluggish. Good, stable framerate and the mouse still feels weird.

Anyway, I still am not liking this game all that much. I'm just not finding any aspect of the game interesting and I'm definitely disappointed that there hasn't been a scary moment yet (I think I'm near the end of chapter 3).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ysiadmihi said:
I turned v-sync off in game and enabled it in the nVidia control panel and it still feels sluggish. Good, stable framerate and the mouse still feels weird.

Anyway, I still am not liking this game all that much. I'm just not finding any aspect of the game interesting and I'm definitely disappointed that there hasn't been a scary moment yet (I think I'm near the end of chapter 3).
If you're not scared yet then you probably never will be.

Similarly, if you're not enjoying the game yet then you probably never will.

I recommend selling it at a lower price to someone who will enjoy it.

Top Bottom