• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

JB1981

gregor7777 said:
the plasma cutter is an iconic weapon. imo it's definitely the best weapon overall, and that's just fine.
it's the most nerve-wracking game I've ever played. I can basically only play a chapter at a time.

I'm glad I chose to play on hard. Startet a testgame on normal yesterday and it doesn't really compare. The whole concept of survival horror is just perfect while playing on hard.

Dave1988

Bought the game yesterday... It's...it's...so awesome!

The Resident Evil 4 meets Alien formula works so well here.

I still can't believe that this game came from the Master of all Evil™ - EA :lol

Naeblish

Just finished the game, WOW, this will probably end up as my goty 2008. How Eurogamer, the only site i still use for reviews, gave this a 7 and fable 2 and fallout 3 a 10 is beyond me, most of the time i agree with their scores.

a few things i hope they improve in the sequel (plz make it):
- the equipment upgrade could have been worked out better, i didn't really care about finding nodes. Bioshock did this better.
- Chapter 7-9 became kinda tedious, chapter beginning, problem, lame fetch quest. Chapter 10 picked it up again by unfolding the story more. I found it a real immersion breaker though that in the movie the monsters couldn't get near the artifact, while in the game they didn't seem to have a problem with it.
- i fucking hate those regenerative bastards :p.

Anyway, i finished on medium. How do i get to hard with all my stuff? I could load my cleared game save but i believe you just start on medium again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Forsete said:
Wow, the controls in the PC version is god aweful. :(

Mouse lag galore.
Turn Vsync off in the game. Then turn Vsync and TripleBuffering on in your GPU settings instead.
If you want Vsync that is, and you really want to with all the strobe lights in the game

I know this works great on Nvidia cards at least.

funcojoe

JB1981 said:
it's the most nerve-wracking game I've ever played. I can basically only play a chapter at a time.

I would rank it second only to the first condemned. Playing these games in the middle of the night in a house by myself, all the lights out, 5.1 turned all the way up is pretty fucking stressfull lol.

Forsete said:
Wow, the controls in the PC version is god aweful. :(

Mouse lag galore.
What Easy D said. It's a major improvement with those setting. Also if you've got a controller use that. I thought it would be compatible with the 360 pad only but my logitech rumblepad2 works just as well :D (...even if there's no menu for that. Just plug it in and voila.)

JB1981 said:

Absolutely. Sometimes I'll leave off in the middle of a chapter, and play to about halfway point in the next.

Each chapter is about an hour of playtime so it works out.

Have you got to chapter 9 yet? So far that's the most tense chapter by far. Finished it last night and was very happy to do so.

Naeblish said:
Just finished the game, WOW, this will probably end up as my goty 2008. How Eurogamer, the only site i still use for reviews, gave this a 7 and fable 2 and fallout 3 a 10 is beyond me, most of the time i agree with their scores.

Their complaints are perfectly valid. From a narrative standpoint the entire ordeal is rather bland, and Isaacs iron posing to every and any encounter save one moment at the end make it very hard to care about his missing girlfriend. Having a silent protagonist barely works in HL2, and it doesn't work at all here.

Whilst the actual setting is marvelous, the monotony of repairing one part only for the next one to conveniently fail just as you fix the one before becomes routine very quickly. They could have done a better job keeping you doing an engineers job without resorting to tedium.

JB1981

Well, I finally beat this game this morning. I take back what I said about the final boss. Once you understand the patterns, it's very easy.

I'd say of all the games I've played so far this year, and it really hasn't been many, this game made the biggest impression on me. I thought it dragged on a bit much and while I did find the constant 'this thing broke go fix it' and 'oh shit, now we have to get this item in order to do this' mission design rather tedious, the game had some really indelible set pieces.
Planting the beacon on the asteroid held together by those tethers (and then having to go to the other side of the asteroid, which was on the exterior of the ship) was just an INCREDIBLE sequence.

I'd say I was more impressed by the art direction than I was by the game's ability to scare. Of all the science fiction games I've ever played, I'd say this game managed to create the most plausible one. I just felt like I was totally transported to a futuristic spacecraft ... the zero-g sequences were just mind-bending. I want to play through again and use the pulse rifle and the flamethrower - I stuck with the plasma gun, the rail gun, the blades and the contact beam. I never even used the pulse rifle... i discarded it early on because it seemed like a weak weapon. Anyway, this is definitely one of the best single player gams I've played in a long time.

Naeblish

TheHeretic said:
Their complaints are perfectly valid. From a narrative standpoint the entire ordeal is rather bland, and Isaacs iron posing to every and any encounter save one moment at the end make it very hard to care about his missing girlfriend. Having a silent protagonist barely works in HL2, and it doesn't work at all here.

Whilst the actual setting is marvelous, the monotony of repairing one part only for the next one to conveniently fail just as you fix the one before becomes routine very quickly. They could have done a better job keeping you doing an engineers job without resorting to tedium.
And i totally agree with those points. That didn't however stop me from having an incredible immersive experience for 12 hours, with a small dip in chapter 8-9. Few games offer me that these days... Ah well, maybe it's just me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just borrowed this from a friend.
Can't wait until tonight to really play it.

The graphics are fucking amazing. I couldn't believe how good it looked.

BeeDog

I've fought my way to chapter 10, around the Z-ball area and I have a couple of questions:

1) I'm trying to get the "finish the game with the plasma cutter only" trophy. If I buy the other weapons, but don't use them (either carry them around just so I can upgrade them with found nodes or stuff them in the safe box), will it fuck up my chance of getting that trophy?

2) also, when doing a New Game+, will I retain my nodes, my cash and the stuff in my safe box? Otherwise, I'll just use up all the money to buy the weapons or something.

Thanks in advance.

raYne

BeeDog said:
I've fought my way to chapter 10, around the Z-ball area and I have a couple of questions:

1) I'm trying to get the "finish the game with the plasma cutter only" trophy. If I buy the other weapons, but don't use them (either carry them around just so I can upgrade them with found nodes or stuff them in the safe box), will it fuck up my chance of getting that trophy?

2) also, when doing a New Game+, will I retain my nodes, my cash and the stuff in my safe box? Otherwise, I'll just use up all the money to buy the weapons or something.

Thanks in advance.
For #1, it only matters if you use them.

Yes, to number 2. In which case there's no point to doing the first since you can also just start upgrading them as soon as you hit the first store during New Game+.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BeeDog said:

Thanks in advance.

1) You can have other weapons in your inventory to use them on upgrades. You can never shoot another weapon though. That immediately fucks up the achievement. To get easy cash for power nodes, I recommend only carrying the contact beam next to the cutter. You will get a ton of ammo for it (the game mainly gives ammo for the weapons you have now), which you can sell for $4000 a bundle. You need some money making scheme if you want to get your guns maxed out quickly for that achievement.

2) Everything carries over to new game +. You will also get 50k extra cash, a lvl 6 suit and 10 extra nodes. New game + is basically the 'go have some fun with your toys, kids' mode

BeeDog

Darunia said:
1) You can have other weapons in your inventory to use them on upgrades. You can never shoot another weapon though. That immediately fucks up the achievement. To get easy cash for power nodes, I recommend only carrying the contact beam next to the cutter. You will get a ton of ammo for it (the game mainly gives ammo for the weapons you have now), which you can sell for $4000 a bundle. You need some money making scheme if you want to get your guns maxed out quickly for that achievement.

2) Everything carries over to new game +. You will also get 50k extra cash, a lvl 6 suit and 10 extra nodes. New game + is basically the 'go have some fun with your toys, kids' mode

Thanks for the clarification. :D This game rocks so much, won't have a problem replaying it to nad some more trophies.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Which controller to people prefer for this one? I'm going to pick it up shortly, but unsure if I should do 360 or PS3.

LunaticPuma said:
Which controller to people prefer for this one? I'm going to pick it up shortly, but unsure if I should do 360 or PS3.

l1 and r1 for aiming and shooting on the ps3, lt and rt for the 360, pick the one you prefer, controls feel good in both versions.

Aeon712

Just made it past the part where
Nicole helps you open the hatch while you defend her. Was happy to see her alive since I thought she was dead. Then my friend told me the first letter of every chapter spells out Nicole is Dead and I became sad :(
Whatever is playing with my emotions is gonna die.

Oh snap. I'm in a baaad situation. Might need to restart the game :(
I am at the part in chapter 3 where you have to restart the engine. I only need to press the button and survive like 4 or 5 of those monsters. That's the preoblem. I have absolutly no ammo, next to no health and there's no chance to go back because my path is blocked by one of those doors you have to slow down to get through. (the for the energy i need for that is as empty as my inventory)
I have two of those explosive red canisters. I tried to kill two of the mutants with each one but have failed at least 15 times now. After the last failure I got a blue screen :lol Well, I'll try it again.

edit: Yeah, got it. When you think there's no chance anymore it suddenly works :D

NameIess

^ Yeah I would suggest people do multiple saves, because there's a slight chance you could get stuck with low health, money & ammo. The game does a good job of giving you just enough to make it through if you are not careful to conserve your ammo. I'm playing on hard & had a few close calls, but I always keep health packs & stasis in my safe at the store... It sucks that you can't really effectively run from enemies, because typically you get to the point where it makes more sense to just clear the room...

JB1981

DieNgamers said:
Oh snap. I'm in a baaad situation. Might need to restart the game :(
I am at the part in chapter 3 where you have to restart the engine. I only need to press the button and survive like 4 or 5 of those monsters. That's the preoblem. I have absolutly no ammo, next to no health and there's no chance to go back because my path is blocked by one of those doors you have to slow down to get through. (the for the energy i need for that is as empty as my inventory)
I have two of those explosive red canisters. I tried to kill two of the mutants with each one but have failed at least 15 times now. After the last failure I got a blue screen :lol Well, I'll try it again.

edit: Yeah, got it. When you think there's no chance anymore it suddeny works :D

Happened to me about 5 times in this game. Wait til you get to the last chapter. There's one sequence there that I never thought I'd get out of .... I had to freeze dudes with stasis while I went shopping at the store for more ammo just to get by ... i had nothing left. thank god for stasis

JB1981 said:
Happened to me about 5 times in this game. Wait til you get to the last chapter. There's one sequence there that I never thought I'd get out of .... I had to freeze dudes with stasis while I went shopping at the store for more ammo just to get by ... i had nothing left. thank god for stasis
:lol Sounds awesome! I laughed out loud imagining that situation :lol Ah, I love this game.

^ Yeah I would suggest people do multiple saves, because there's a slight chance you could get stuck with low health, money & ammo. The game does a good job of giving you just enough to make it through if you are not careful to conserve your ammo. I'm playing on hard & had a few close calls, but I always keep health packs & stasis in my safe at the store... It sucks that you can't really effectively run from enemies, because typically you get to the point where it makes more sense to just clear the room...
Yep, I'll do more safes now. I had a second one from way earlier but you never really know when the game is going to send you into trouble ;)

pirahna1

Can anyone help me get my Logitech Cordless Rumble 2 working with this game on PC? I can't map any controls to the thing. I've heard tons of people say they got it to work, but mine just isn't working at all...

EDIT: Just found the readme, what kind of shit is this? Anyone have a rock solid setup I could steal? I'm looking for the PS3 control layout, but can't find it anywhere.

Plissken

Finished the game today, hands down one of the best survival horror games I've ever played. I really like the universe the game is set in, they have set up enough backstory and left enough mysteries that I want to experience more of it. Here's hoping the game does well enough to get a couple sequels.

My only complaint was that Isaac never talks, I'm not a big fan of the silent protaganist. I feel the story would have been much better if Isaac had interacted with the other people in the story. Especially when
you finally meet up with Nicole. Now, I know she wasn't really there, but still, you'd think Isaac would want to say SOMETHING to the person he came on this mission for?

vpance

Up to Chapter 9 now, on hard. The monster closet and spawning all around you shit tactic is getting a bit tired. Just past the
shooting gallery
part.. reminded me of RE4. I did like all the stuff to mix up the gameplay so far, but it would've been better if they didnt keep throwing monsters at you while you're fixing stuff.

I was using ripper mostly early on, but now I'm mostly with the force gun, then line gun. Ripper is just too inaccurate and slow now against the packs. I'd use the line gun more if they gave me more ammo for it though.

vpance

pirahna1 said:
Can anyone help me get my Logitech Cordless Rumble 2 working with this game on PC? I can't map any controls to the thing. I've heard tons of people say they got it to work, but mine just isn't working at all...

EDIT: Just found the readme, what kind of shit is this? Anyone have a rock solid setup I could steal? I'm looking for the PS3 control layout, but can't find it anywhere.

Took a lot of tries but I actually got my PS3 controller working with my blutooth adapter on the PC. Plays just like if it were a 360 controller. I had to adjust the joypad.txt file though. I could post it for ya but I doubt it'll be the same for your pad.

Total Spoiler - My theory and COMPLETE Story Explanation

Okay... After reviewing the facts this is what I have:

1) The black marker was found on earth 200 years ago and is of Alien origin.

It held 2 secrets:
--Blueprints for recombinant DNA (for eternal life)
--Electronics to suppress a NecroVirus (Also from recombinant DNA when you fuck up)

** THEORY : Aliens were researching eternal life. Just look at the crazy scientist in the Ishimura who created a modified necromorph who could eternally regenerate. Its obviously powerful stuff.

2) The government originally found the black marker on Earth and experimented with the technology on Aegis-7.

Obviously things didn't go to well. Their experiments ended up created a NecroVirus + the HiveMind creature on the planet. Only the Black Marker (or the man made copy Red Marker) saved them from total destruction since the Alien Technology creates an electronic field which can suppress the large HiveMind.

If it wasn't for the technology of the Marker the "monsters" probably would have spread more and more. Fortunately, necromorphs aren't too intelligent. They just regenerate and are hard to kill.

** THEORY : The original Aliens (and the government scientists) didn't particularly want to create ZOMBIE LIFE FORMS. Everyone wants eternal life, not to become ugly killing machines. In this sense, its just like the umbrella corporation of resident evil running regeneration experiments.

3) The Marker is a computer of some kind which is supposed to suppress the HiveMind in addition to holding the secret of Recombinant DNA. It had no effect on smaller NecroMorphs directly.

The HiveMind doesn't know or care about the Marker. Its kind of stupid actually. When the marker is near it goes to sleep which knocks out the other smaller NecroMorphs.

4) Nicole was a hallucination created by the Red marker trying to get Isaac to bring it back to Aegis-7. Since the red marker was a man made copy of the black one it stands to reason it was particularly programmed to do such a thing.

5) The mining corporation CEC was the Haliburton of space. They were illegally mining on Aegis-7 and were unlucky in that the planet was also a Secret government cover up where they created a deadly virus and giant NecroMonster HiveMind. They weren't very lucky in their choices to mine Aegis-7.

6) The ending:

Since the HiveMind is basically dead. The Marker is destroyed. The most likely scenario (which supports a sequel by the way) is that Isaac had a final hallucination in his mind. Knowing his girlfriend died he thought of her as a scary NecroMorph.

That's it. The theory works for me.

TheHeretic said:

The complaints are valid in the "everyone's opinion is valid SNARF!" kind of way, but I think it's simply one of those "you can't please everyone" scenarios. The point was that it's YOU playing. If YOU want to react to the environment, go right ahead... no one's stopping you. If the character speaks, it ceases to be "you". You become merely the guider of an on rails personality. I think the silent hero is perfect for the immersion factor.

I do not agree with your second point at all. It almost seems like you are calling for a shorter game. I think they could have added tedium, if it kept me playing longer. As it stands, it was a very well scripted narrative based game that worked really well for me and a boat load of other people. You, my friend, are an outlier.

NameIess said:

As an iron rule, I had 2 save spots... one save was for rooms with a vending machine only, and the other was for the more out there locations. It served me well.

Mango Positive said:
The complaints are valid in the "everyone's opinion is valid SNARF!" kind of way, but I think it's simply one of those "you can't please everyone" scenarios. The point was that it's YOU playing. If YOU want to react to the environment, go right ahead... no one's stopping you. If the character speaks, it ceases to be "you". You become merely the guider of an on rails personality. I think the silent hero is perfect for the immersion factor.

I do not agree with your second point at all. It almost seems like you are calling for a shorter game. I think they could have added tedium, if it kept me playing longer. As it stands, it was a very well scripted narrative based game that worked really well for me and a boat load of other people. You, my friend, are an outlier.

Actually, I found it tedious by the end as well...

EGM92

Just a quick question, picked up the game used for PC pretty cheap from a buddy that finished it. Are there any differences between the PC and Console versions? It's running great on my PC.

Also is there a way to turn up the AA/AF on the game? There's nothing within the options menu.

Mango Positive said:
You are also an outlier?

I'm okay with that. I liked that game a lot I mean look at all the freaking analysis I did for the story above.

1) Resident Evil annoyed the hell out of me because they keep on blocking you with stupid quests. Find this key. Find that key. Oh look the door has 4 inlaid imprints which will conveniently hold a gold sceptre, a doggy bone, a shotgun, and a bronze pencil. Find these items to pass the door. It was kind of stupid actually because it made no sense but they kept you involved by having characters around you to interact with. It was silly for sure.

2) Dead Space fixed a lot of that stupidity by putting you on a ship and at least giving a reasonable explanation of what you needed to do "next". Fix the ship. Course it gets a little silly too having setback after setback...

The real tedium is just that by the end it becomes way more of an action game and less about the environment and suspense. I think you noticed it for sure... you just like the action parts a lot more than I do.

maxax

EGM92 said:
Just a quick question, picked up the game used for PC pretty cheap from a buddy that finished it. Are there any differences between the PC and Console versions? It's running great on my PC.

Also is there a way to turn up the AA/AF on the game? There's nothing within the options menu.
I guess the only differences are no achievements/trophies and possibly better graphics on the PC.
Enjoy the game!

UntoldDreams said:
I'm okay with that. I liked that game a lot I mean look at all the freaking analysis I did for the story above.

1) Resident Evil annoyed the hell out of me because they keep on blocking you with stupid quests. Find this key. Find that key. Oh look the door has 4 inlaid imprints which will conveniently hold a gold sceptre, a doggy bone, a shotgun, and a bronze pencil. Find these items to pass the door. It was kind of stupid actually because it made no sense but they kept you involved by having characters around you to interact with. It was silly for sure.

2) Dead Space fixed a lot of that stupidity by putting you on a ship and at least giving a reasonable explanation of what you needed to do "next". Fix the ship. Course it gets a little silly too having setback after setback...

The real tedium is just that by the end it becomes way more of an action game and less about the environment and suspense. I think you noticed it for sure... you just like the action parts a lot more than I do.

Oh I noticed... I just didn't mind. They can scare me again in the sequel.

Broseybrose

Anyone else notice how nice the DVD disc itself is? I've got the PC version and the raised letters and logos are textured nicely. Dead Space is such a well-made and well-presented package, in disc design, box art, and most of all GAME DESIGN!

I really love this game. Right now its fighting for time with Fallout 3. Both games look and run like dreams at max settings @1920x1200 on my 'aging' 8800GTX. :D

Things could be worse.

phez

Banned
Naeblish said:
And i totally agree with those points. That didn't however stop me from having an incredible immersive experience for 12 hours, with a small dip in chapter 8-9. Few games offer me that these days... Ah well, maybe it's just me.

Immersion is great with this game; the RIG system is pretty awesome. The game has pretty sweet pieces of cinematography too, but aside from that, the rest is pretty terrible.

Honestly, I'm going through this game feeling like I'm fighting the flood :\

kinggroin

Banned
Ok guys, I'm getting closer and closer to the end! Just need a bit of help in chapter 7 for the following:

The big rock with rings spinning around it, the one that needs a becon attached to it, how do I slow the rings down (I keep getting chopped up)? I've tried stasis on the generators, but I can't float to the rock fast enough.

The game's definitely picked up a bit starting with the last part of chapter 6, which is good since it was starting to get a bit...boring? The scare factor is pretty much completely gone at this point, but kick-ass missions like the one in the spoiler tags, and the boss battle in chapter 6 keep me going.

Movement

Dave1988 said:
I still can't believe that this game came from the Master of all Evil™ - EA :lol

Acutally, EA has really stepped up their game from like 3 years ago.
Its like a whole new corporation, Activision on the other hand....

kinggroin said:
The big rock with rings spinning around it, the one that needs a becon attached to it, how do I slow the rings down (I keep getting chopped up)? I've tried stasis on the generators, but I can't float to the rock fast enough.

AFAIK, you can't. Just look for the
safest place you can find where you'll have the maximum amount of time before they spin back, plant that shit, and zero-g jump off.

kinggroin

Banned
gregor7777 said:
AFAIK, you can't. Just look for the
safest place you can find where you'll have the maximum amount of time before they spin back, plant that shit, and zero-g jump off.

I was afraid of that.

Ok, I'll give it another go manana.

Man, just finished this game about half hour ago......what a great game.

Took me about 12 1/2 hours.....I started to drag about 2/3 through the game, but it picked up lots of steam for me after that point.

Like all others have said, scary at first, but that slows down and it becomes more "actiony", but that's cool. I also like how during the later parts of the game it forces you to know what guns to use and what strategies are successful to make the trek easier......

This game feels like it is what Resident Evil 5 will/should be. If Resident Evil 5 is as good as it I will be pleased.

Alphahawk

phez said:
Immersion is great with this game; the RIG system is pretty awesome. The game has pretty sweet pieces of cinematography too, but aside from that, the rest is pretty terrible.

Honestly, I'm going through this game feeling like I'm fighting the flood :\

Does not compute

Plissken

kinggroin said:

Easiest way I found was to
not bother using Stasis at all. Just pick a side and wait for the rings to move opposite of that side. Jump to a spot near the edge, then run outside and plant the beacon on the space side, since it doesn't matter where you plant it, and you have to go out there anyway.

Top Bottom