• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Anyone get a translation of the
Endgame flash of the alien language?
yet?

Don't have time to go through over my accidental overwrite of chapter 12 atm.

Mar

Just finished it.

It was a great game, but why people are going nuts over it is beyond me. Personally I feel the sound was the best part. Some of the explosions were absolutely incredible. But as for the rest of the game, I feel it never capitalised on some of the cool themes they started on, or that other games had taken advantage of.

However, I really enjoyed it. I certainly got my moneys worth. I didn't like the last level at all, but really liked the 'surprise' in the ending.

In summary, it was a game I really enjoyed playing through but did nothing to blow me away (besides the explosions). It very much stuck to conventional ideas of gameplay and horror, and never tried to expand any of them. My biggest disappointment is that it never really got under my skin, only offering jump scare after jump scare. Games that have gone beyond these conventional ideas in my opinion are Silent Hill and DOOM 3. Compared with these, Dead Space feels like a horror game in 'safe mode'.

I still can't get over the sound though. The explosions, the sound of the pulse rifle firing, the sound of the ripper on metal and limb. Incredible. It was the star of the show, and is certainly the best sound I've heard in a game so far.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just started this game on Hard on my 360. Beat the first chapter and had to take a break for the night.

I'm afraid I'm going to dig myself into a hole medkit/ammo-wise. Hopefully, I can play it smart.

It did get tedious for me as well in the last few chapters. As you improve you weapons and suit, an individual necromorph or a pair becomes much less of threat. In order make up for this, the designers did not seem to be able to come up with anything other than to lock you in rooms and throws waves of the same mindless enemies at you. This is certainly a play type that can work, such as in Serious Sam, Painkiller, Doom 2, and such, but for Dead Space, with the movement and shooting mechanics it has, its not really all that fun.

The enemy types aren't varied enough to make it interesting in the mass wave approach, nor are the numbers of them high enough (along with your movement speed and weapon types) to reach the absurd levels of Shoot and Move play in those classic Doom maps. You are left with fighting the same types of creatures you've seen all game long, but now any sense of surprise or dread is all but gone, and its left feeling like work. The final level, to me, is a perfect example of all the bad things about this design approach, which was aggravating in the extreme for me. Looking at the game as a whole, the majority of the design work later in the game seems like a rather easy and unimaginative solution to padding out the games length.

I still enjoyed the game very much, as its just a superbly, and slickly put together game. It would have benefited greatly from cutting itself down, eliminating 2-4 chapters. This would have helped make the trapped in the monster rooms seem more like a climax to your dealings with the necromorphs, by drastically reducing their number and frequency.

Mar_ said:
Just finished it.

It was a great game, but why people are going nuts over it is beyond me. Personally I feel the sound was the best part. Some of the explosions were absolutely incredible. But as for the rest of the game, I feel it never capitalised on some of the cool themes they started on, or that other games had taken advantage of.

However, I really enjoyed it. I certainly got my moneys worth. I didn't like the last level at all, but really liked the 'surprise' in the ending.

In summary, it was a game I really enjoyed playing through but did nothing to blow me away (besides the explosions). It very much stuck to conventional ideas of gameplay and horror, and never tried to expand any of them. My biggest disappointment is that it never really got under my skin, only offering jump scare after jump scare. Games that have gone beyond these conventional ideas in my opinion are Silent Hill and DOOM 3. Compared with these, Dead Space feels like a horror game in 'safe mode'.

I still can't get over the sound though. The explosions, the sound of the pulse rifle firing, the sound of the ripper on metal and limb. Incredible. It was the star of the show, and is certainly the best sound I've heard in a game so far.

Eccocid

Can anyone come to my place and finish that shooting minigame for me? i cant pass it! i will pay for flight tickets! kthxbai!

Iberian

I fineshed the game few minutes ago.

In my opinion, this is best game I've played in the 360. Absolutely amazing, and It came almost from nowhere, with little hype and little anticipation.

The art direction of this game is out of this world, literally. The space settings, the ship, the depitected tech is realistic looking and beatiful to look at. The engine they are using is very good. No screen tearing, no noticeable framerate drops. The light effects put Halo3 to shame. The sound is fantastic.

An amazing experience. To the developers: Well done. You should be proud of this gem.

Eccocid said:
Can anyone come to my place and finish that shooting minigame for me? i cant pass it! i will pay for flight tickets! kthxbai!

Just relax, take it easy. Then, when you're relaxed, concentrate. Prioritize your targets. Think you're too late for one, don't dwell on it, there's 4 others coming. You'll do it eventually.

/edit: Am I thinking of the wrong shooting minigame?

BeeDog

Eccocid said:

A tip that worked for me is, aim and squeeze the wall to the right as good as possible. This will open up the field of view so your character won't cover up the figures coming up from the left.

Good luck, it took me 10 tries to nail the last level.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Fallout-NL said:
Just relax, take it easy. Then, when you're relaxed, concentrate. Prioritize your targets. Think you're too late for one, don't dwell on it, there's 4 others coming. You'll do it eventually.

BeeDog said:
A tip that worked for me is, aim and squeeze the wall to the right as good as possible. This will open up the field of view so your character won't cover up the figures coming up from the left.

Good luck, it took me 10 tries to nail the last level.
:lol Yeah...Which shooting minigame are we talking about?

Eccocid said:
LOL how many there are?
i am talking about the one in chapter 4..shooting astreoids

He was talking about...ah, something else. :lol

Just keep at the asteroids...not much help you can give really.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Eccocid said:
LOL how many there are?
i am talking about the one in chapter 4..shooting astreoids

there's another one in chapter 9 :)

for the asteroids i'd recommend to focus on the middle part of the screen. The rocks that appear on the far left and right won't damage the ship nearly as much as full frontal hits.

That section is also based on a bit of luck. There are a number of scripts you can get: there can be a lot of fast moving rocks, or you can have a period of only slow moving ones. Getting the achievement for this sure takes a couple of tries though.

JB1981

JasonUresti said:
It did get tedious for me as well in the last few chapters. As you improve you weapons and suit, an individual necromorph or a pair becomes much less of threat. In order make up for this, the designers did not seem to be able to come up with anything other than to lock you in rooms and throws waves of the same mindless enemies at you. This is certainly a play type that can work, such as in Serious Sam, Painkiller, Doom 2, and such, but for Dead Space, with the movement and shooting mechanics it has, its not really all that fun.

The enemy types aren't varied enough to make it interesting in the mass wave approach, nor are the numbers of them high enough (along with your movement speed and weapon types) to reach the absurd levels of Shoot and Move play in those classic Doom maps. You are left with fighting the same types of creatures you've seen all game long, but now any sense of surprise or dread is all but gone, and its left feeling like work. The final level, to me, is a perfect example of all the bad things about this design approach, which was aggravating in the extreme for me. Looking at the game as a whole, the majority of the design work later in the game seems like a rather easy and unimaginative solution to padding out the games length.

I still enjoyed the game very much, as its just a superbly, and slickly put together game. It would have benefited greatly from cutting itself down, eliminating 2-4 chapters. This would have helped make the trapped in the monster rooms seem more like a climax to your dealings with the necromorphs, by drastically reducing their number and frequency.

Well said - agreed with all of it.

kinggroin

Banned
JB1981 said:
Well said - agreed with all of it.

Ditto. The game would have been my personal GOTY so far had it ended this chapter (and relied a little more on puzzle solving than on mindless action).

Still, I can't see anyone denying that what's there is definitely a great ride through and through.

JasonUresti said:

i have not finished it yet, but i agree with you (i'm at chapter 9). it lacks a bit of variety, in the end, and those minigames (shoot the asteroids, low level puzzling, etc) aren't as good as they should have been.

it's a really good product overall, but not by its own merits: things that work in the game are ripoffs of other media (mostly re4, metroid prime and an overly abused sci-fi setting).

lighting is really good, some shimmering in few locations but top notch in the overall game. textures are good, but considering it's a corridor shooter for the most part they had to. animations of the main character are well done, not the same for the enemies, apart from the QTEs.

a well packaged product that lacks a bit of innovation.

JasonUresti said:

yep, i'm in chapter 9 now and i can see where this is going. now come the "fuck i'm out of ammo rooms..." in stead of "what the fuck is that?"

still, i think it's a great game. i like how every chapter is about an hour of playtime (give or take). i'm playing on normal difficulty and i think it's all pretty well balanced.

The little enemies are the worst.. fuckers :p

i'd recommend this game. the 2 shooting minigames i played were not that hard for me.. and i actually liked them for variety.

LOVE the sound!!!

Mar

MickeyKnox said:

What's your point?

DOOM 3 did get tiresome in the last few levels, just as Dead Space did. However where DOOM 3 excels is in the atmosphere. Dead Space tries but doesn't even live up to 50% of the weird ass scary mess with your head shit that DOOM 3 does.

You can argue that Dead Space is a more playable game. But I think that's the point I was making all along. It's a good game, but it's a game 'by the numbers'. Very non confrontational, very non challenging. It does what it does and it does what a thousand games before it has done, but refines it. Besides the sound, there's nothing in the game that I feel made it stand out amongst the horror genre. It was an enjoyable ride, but one that wasn't exceptionally interesting.

Haunted

Yeah, Dead Space doesn't excel in the scariness department. But it's a tense, exciting romp, nicely planned and flawlessly executed.

A mix of RE4 and CoD4 in that regard.

And holy shit if anyone was surprised at
Kendra's betrayal and Nicole being dead, both of the twists were a long time coming. Like, seriously.

All in all a fantastic experience, though.

Haunted said:
Yeah, Dead Space doesn't excel in the scariness department. But it's a tense, exciting romp, nicely planned and flawlessly executed.

A mix of RE4 and CoD4 in that regard.

And holy shit if anyone was surprised at
Kendra's betrayal and Nicole being dead, both of the twists were a long time coming. Like, seriously.

All in all a fantastic experience, though.

shit. why i watched the spoiler?

that was a brainless move...

joelseph

Chiggs said:
I was not impressed with the animated movie. Ugh, and what's with all the inconsistencies?

I agree. I thought it was horrible. I am so glad my buddy bought it and not me. I would go so far as saying it was the worst anime I have seen in years. It had so much potential too.

MNC

°°ToMmY°° said:
shit. why i watched the spoiler?

that was a brainless move...
I KNOW! I avoided all spoilers, but somehow this made me go "Just a short mouse gesture then click away! Nothing to see... OH SHIT."

Snaku

Banned
Finished chapter 2 last night. Really loving it so far. They totally nailed the atmosphere, and the ship is amazing.

I'm in chapter 4 where
that crazy doctor "activated" that monster you can't defeat. It's crawling right above me in some rooms (that's what it spounds like)
....Scary as hell!

vpance

That whole section in Chapter 9 after you get the cards and do the
basketball minigame
, is really horrible. They sent the
nemesis
guy and a black monster after you, and they can follow you into a save room too. I made it past that, but I had barely any ammo left for anything. Then you have to go back into the main area of the beginning part of the chapter, but they throw like a dozen fuckers at you and lock the doors.. I had to run into the subway car and shoot them from there since they cant follow you in.

vpance said:
That whole section in Chapter 9 after you get the cards and do the
basketball minigame
, is really horrible. They sent the
nemesis
guy and a black monster after you, and they can follow you into a save room too. I made it past that, but I had barely any ammo left for anything. Then you have to go back into the main area of the beginning part of the chapter, but they throw like a dozen fuckers at you and lock the doors.. I had to run into the subway car and shoot them from there since they cant follow you in.

That was chapter 10. Chapter 9 was the
crashed ship

And BTW, I agree with you. So far Chapter 10 is my least favorite level thus far.

Tom Penny

Mar_ said:

Can someone validate this statement? This game is on my list of "going to buy laters" after Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2. If it isn't better than Doom 3 I'm definitely going to pass.

Tom Penny said:
Can someone validate this statement? This game is on my list of "going to buy laters" after Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2. If it isn't better than Doom 3 I'm definitely going to pass.

I like Doom 3. Dead Space blows it away in virtually every department: visuals, atmosphere, control, sound, story. Even if you don't end up loving the game it's one IMO you have to play to have an opinion on.

vpance

gregor7777 said:
That was chapter 10. Chapter 9 was the
crashed ship

And BTW, I agree with you. So far Chapter 10 is my least favorite level thus far.

Right, I was getting em mixed up. Clearly it's all becoming the same to me now.

BTW does anyone know what items you can get after Level 6 of the
basketball minigame
? I can only get 40 points, can't make it to Level 7.

alexh

So has anyone wondered why they have evolved huge knives on the ends of their arms?

Or how fucking batshit insane it is for a normal maintenance crew to be killing these things?

I think games should incorporate a confidence level..

This engineer shouldn't have any idea how to shoot a gun this accurately.. i think the screen should shake at the beginning to emulate this.. i know if i were this guy.. my shit in pants monitor would be beeping.

MNC

alexh said:
So has anyone wondered why they have evolved huge knives on the ends of their arms?

Or how fucking batshit insane it is for a normal maintenance crew to be killing these things?

This engineer shouldn't have any idea how to shoot a gun this accurately.. i think the screen should shake at the beginning to emulate this.. i know if i were this guy.. my shit in pants monitor would be beeping.
Luckily for us, the very first "weapon" is a Plasma Cutter, and what is that used mostly for? repairing, maintenance, see it as some kind of welding torch ;)

gregor7777 said:
I like Doom 3. Dead Space blows it away in virtually every department: visuals, atmosphere, control, sound, story. Even if you don't end up loving the game it's one IMO you have to play to have an opinion on.

i played a bit of doom3 and didn't like it, though i've been playing DS over the past week and i feel it's a really good product, not innovative but very well packaged.

(i quoted you only cause i didn't see penny's post :p )

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just completed it. Easily one of the best games of the year.

Every facet of the presentation was incredible, whether it was the zero oxygen area sound and graphics, the in-game menus and videos, and the incredible sound (when Isaac is near death and yells a muffled "help me!" was a brilliant touch.)

I hope there's a follow up. The universe the developers created has far too much potential to let it go to waste.

Core407

Banned
There aren't enough positive words to describe Dead Space. I've managed to complete 8 of the 12 chapters so far and hands down, this is GOTY. Everything about the title reeks quality - a RE4 of this generation.

The way in which the game rewards exploration always gets to me. I've found myself in many firefights that could have been easily won with no use of ammo or weapons. A lot of big encounters generally have some explosive items lying around the room for easy picking - allowing the player to kill off enemies with ease.

I've grown accustomed to cheap game design to ramp up difficulty. Dead Space does nothing of the sort - which is really refreshing in itself. I think by not employing cheap design choices, the overall experience is much more rewarding and not a giant swear fest. Doom 3, to me, is the quintessential game in which cheap game design reign supreme. Things like enemies spawning behind you (in an attempt to add difficulty) & enemies re spawning in previously cleared rooms. Dead Space has none of that and it is refreshing.

Just finished my first play through. Took just over 12 hours on Hard. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Didn't get stuck in too many places either, outside of a few asteroid related mishaps.

Started up my 2nd play through just to check out the Military Suit. Thing is badass. I'm sure I'll end up playing through a few more times, just not sure how much I'll get in by Gears 2.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Toss me in the camp that despise Doom3 and like this well enough.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
I jumped at the end like a bitch...

there, i said it

It almost caught me off guard. The camera stayed on his face way to long and I knew something was up. I ended up making a :| face like, "wtf are you going to do? I just killed your bitch ass boss." :lol

alexh said:

I could let it slide with him being Gordon Freeman # 2. My thing was, if the plasma cutter is a tool, why the eff does it shoot so damned far? o_O

Tokubetsu

Oldschoolgamer said:
Toss me in the camp that despise Doom3 and like this well enough.

It almost caught me off guard. The camera stayed on his face way to long and I knew something was up. I ended up making a :| face like, "wtf are you going to do? I just killed your bitch ass boss." :lol

I could let it slide with him being Gordon Freeman # 2. My thing was, if the plasma cutter is a tool, why the eff does it shoot so damned far? o_O
Do you really want to be right next to huge chunks of rock as you're cutting it?

Doc Evils

Finished Ninja Gaiden 2 today, so I managed to finally start Dead Space. Loving it so far, got to chapter 2 and left it there since I'm tired from NG2.

Tokubetsu

gregor7777 said:

Same. I actually liked the atmosphere and the flashlight versus gun mechanic of Doom 3 but this completely blows it out of the water. The setting is also infinitely more interesting.

Core407

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Same. I actually liked the atmosphere and the flashlight versus gun mechanic of Doom 3 but this completely blows it out of the water. The setting is also infinitely more interesting.

I love how each chapter had a unique setting that still incorporated the whole ship aspect. You knew you were in a ship, but each area was unique in design.

evacs

Neo Member
Yeah, beat it on Hard yesterday but not enamored enough to repeat it again any time soon. Game was good for sure - they did a very admirable job with the cliche plot, but it felt like it lost a lot of its scariness halfway through. And for a game that tries very hard to create that atmosphere... But after awhile, monster spawns get very predictable (objective complete? time to quarantine room!), and simply making them stronger/faster doesn't make it scarier when weapons can be upgraded.

There's also something bad-ass about Isaac (maybe that kickass stomp) that made the game not scary. And without that tension, the Dead Space became more of a standard 3rd person shooter (just with enemies coming out of vents and ceilings instead of doors).

Top Bottom