• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Dartastic

Metroidvania said:
Anyone get a translation of the
Endgame flash of the alien language?
yet?

Don't have time to go through over my accidental overwrite of chapter 12 atm.

Anyone? Also, WTF was going on at the very end? o.0

Wark

Metroidvania said:
Anyone get a translation of the
Endgame flash of the alien language?
yet?

Don't have time to go through over my accidental overwrite of chapter 12 atm.

Are you talking about the
cryptic text after the ending credits
? If so, then I believe that translates to
“Chapter 12 Dead Space” – “Complete”

RoH

just beat this the other day; Great freaking game, loved the story and the game scared the crud out of me a few times. I do wish there was more back story.

Decado

RoH said:
just beat this the other day; Great freaking game, loved the story and the game scared the crud out of me a few times. I do wish there was more back story.
Have you watch the DVD/Blu-Ray movie...?

Wark

RoH said:

You can always check out the comic (or downloadable interactive comic book) and the animated film, Dead Space: Downfall. Also, No Known Survivors details a few things that happened prior to the game.

Cromat

Just finished it, pretty easy final boss (not unlike RE4), overall a great game.

Although it uses pretty much EVERY SINGLE sci-fi horror and videogame cliche/trope, it still comes out pretty atmospheric and unique. The ship itself feels pretty real and natural, and still contains a lot of variety. Like any other 'horror' games, this game isn't that scary, since I at least find it hard to be scared of a game.
What this game (and the RE games) does is create stress by limiting your resources and making you somewhat helpless in face of many enemies (in RE4 you can't move and shoot, but your kicks do alot of damage, while in Dead Space you can move and shoot but you're pretty helpless in close quarters). In that aspect, this game (for me atleast) really succeeded, I was really stressed and I died many times.

From a presentation point of view this game is perfect, one of the very best in this generation. Perfect controls (
except for the Asteroid parts
), the sound and music are great, and the graphics are amazing. Also - not having any HUD is really refreshing. When is the last time you played a game when everything you see is actually there - in Dead Space, Isaac sees everything that the player sees. There's nothing painted over. I wish other games would follow this example.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed RE4 you should really get this game.

Alphahawk

jon bones said:
Just started this game on Hard on my 360. Beat the first chapter and had to take a break for the night.

I'm afraid I'm going to dig myself into a hole medkit/ammo-wise. Hopefully, I can play it smart.

I wouldn't worry about ammo, unlike in Resident Evil the enemies drop ammo, so while their isn't an infinite supply of ammo it's enough that you never really are fucked.

At least thats the way it is on medium, but I can't imagine it's much different on Hard...

slider

I've only just started this. The plot/setting is completely derivative but I've never seen it in a game so it's floating my boat. The complete immersion is great too.

Seems like there's a bit of backtracking in the first two chapters. I don't really mind it but I'd rather it wasn't there.

Everything else is spot on. I first played it on my mate's SDTV and it looked great. On my HDTV it looks even better. Sound is superb too. Hope I get a bit more variation in enemy designs though.

Can't wait to get further into it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
slider said:
I've only just started this. The plot/setting is completely derivative but I've never seen it in a game so it's floating my boat. The complete immersion is great too.

Seems like there's a bit of backtracking in the first two chapters. I don't really mind it but I'd rather it wasn't there.

Everything else is spot on. I first played it on my mate's SDTV and it looked great. On my HDTV it looks even better. Sound is superb too. Hope I get a bit more variation in enemy designs though.

Can't wait to get further into it.

One of the things I really like about Dead Space is that the backtracking throughout the game makes the Ishimura believable. I never felt "lost" (even when I was :lol ) inside the spaceship.

slider

Des0lar said:
One of the things I really like about Dead Space is that the backtracking throughout the game makes the Ishimura believable. I never felt "lost" (even when I was :lol ) inside the spaceship.

That's a great point actually. I could be very wrong (after all I'm only just starting) but, once I've been through a room going through it again I'm not expecting any surprises. The game may surprise me later on though.

Oh, one final moan... playing on normal and it's not very taxing at all. I only say that cos I suck at gaming and so was expecting it to be a little tougher.

Good stuff EA. I know there was a bit of doubt about this but it's fantastic so far.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Alphahawk said:
I wouldn't worry about ammo, unlike in Resident Evil the enemies drop ammo, so while their isn't an infinite supply of ammo it's enough that you never really are fucked.

At least thats the way it is on medium, but I can't imagine it's much different on Hard...

Yea, I notice that if I can use less than 6 plasma cutter shots to kill an enemy, I can come out net positive with the ammo drop :lol That helps a lot. I keep a few save spots, but it's really helpful.

I'm at the end of Ch1 about to go to Ch2, I think I'm going to buy the Level 2 suit and some ammo with the cash I've found. Not sure if the assault rifle is worth the cash right now.

laserbeam

Banned
So i just came across a major bug :-/

I got the mining access key and did all the stuff between now its sending me to the area where key is used get there and now it says I dont have the key. Went back to where key was and its not there. So im basically screwed now

Des0lar said:

yep, backtracking works great in this game and never felt tdious to me.

laserbeam said:

I got the mining access key and did all the stuff between now its sending me to the area where key is used get there and now it says I dont have the key. Went back to where key was and its not there. So im basically screwed now
Oh shoot. And I presume you only have the one save?

Mar

gregor7777 said:
I like Doom 3. Dead Space blows it away in virtually every department:

visuals

Yes.

atmosphere

No.

Eh? Did you play it on Xbox or something? DOOM 3 PC is in another league of control.

Yes.

No. However it's a funny statement because Dead Space basically uses DOOM 3s story entirely. Both games have you in a place where
dudes have dug up an alien artifact, and all hell breaks loose. Religious nuts or just plain retards decide to work against humanity and further the alien / zombie / bad guys consuming of the human race.
. The difference here is that DOOM 3 fleshed out the story a whole lot more with a tonne of audio logs and videos.

Now people keep misreading or misinterpreting what I'm saying here. I'm not saying DOOM 3 is a better game (although personally for me it is, but that's not the point), I'm saying DOOM 3 did atmosphere and story better. Dead Space plays better. It is very refined in the gameplay and general direction of the title. Extremely polished. But all the tiny things DOOM 3 did that Dead Space didn't to build up an atmosphere of dread, was just worlds apart.

Dead Space tries some of these, like whispering and half dead dudes talking. But all the instances don't have any meaning to them. You can stop and hear the whispering in Dead Space and it's just the same wave file played over and over but in different areas. In DOOM 3 the whispering and other effects created tension because they had meaning behind them. For instance one specific area where you hear some whispers, you could just walk past that area and never think anything of it. But if you stop and listen it's a woman talking about how she's lost her baby. Further into the level you hear the muffled sounds of a baby crying. They start something and then build on it further down the line. Dead Space was just atmospheric sounds by the numbers. So much so that I lost count of how many times I heard the 'metal canister hitting a metal railing' sound effect, and by the time I was half way through the game it didn't worry me anymore. In fact it did the opposite and took me out of the experience because you hear in your brain 'oh there's that fake sound again'.

In summary. Dead Space is a better game. More accessible, easier to play, etc. It doesn't have the bullshit cheap crap that was in DOOM 3. The monster closets. BUT, DOOM 3 had atmosphere nailed, and will remain my number 2 horror game behind Silent Hill 2.

It's a shame I found everything in Dead Space so predictable. The story, the characters, I knew how it was going to play out from the beginning. I was hoping for surprises. Unfortunately the only surprise of the entire game was the very last scare. Which was awesome by the way. I dreamed about it last night too :lol

Interesting. I haven't played through Doom 3, just the demo, so I have not encountered any impressive sound design in that game., which I assume comes more to the front later on when the invasion is in full force.

To my sensibilities, harsh, jarring sounds are far more disturbing and uncomfortable to play through than the old, moldy cliche of whispering voices. Owing most likely due to it being used in so many movies and games, the "scary" whispering voices mean almost nothing to me, in a creating a sense of fear. Its been used so much, it almost takes on a feeling of comfort, of belonging, when playing or a watching a horror scene. It nearly becomes reassuring in its familiarity.

Not trying to criticize your position, or say its wrong, just showing how to different ears and minds, Dead Space could create a more disturbing atmosphere than id's game (again, keeping in mind I've not played Doom3 to any extent great enough to form a reasonable criticism).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I had this game a couple weeks ago but didn't open it since it was a free game from the buy 2 get 1 free Toys R Us deal and wanted to make sure I got Little Big Planet exchanged. Just opened it today and wow...this game is pretty good. Graphics are awesome, sound is great with headphones...

laserbeam said:

I think you might need a different key, if you're using that thing that tells you where to go next I had the same problem. It directed me straight to a locked door instead of to the key I needed to open the door.

Tokubetsu

jon bones said:
Yea, I notice that if I can use less than 6 plasma cutter shots to kill an enemy, I can come out net positive with the ammo drop :lol That helps a lot. I keep a few save spots, but it's really helpful.

I'm at the end of Ch1 about to go to Ch2, I think I'm going to buy the Level 2 suit and some ammo with the cash I've found. Not sure if the assault rifle is worth the cash right now.

You really won't have to worry about PC ammo, especially if you're using it exclusively for that achievement. When you can, buy the line cutter and just keep selling it's ammo. 3000 credits a stack and it drops often if you've got it equipped. Im halfway through chapter 5 and I pretty much NEVER go below 50 rounds of pc ammo and I rarely actually buy. If you've got the damage upgraded as well, you'll be killing most things in like 2 shots.

laserbeam

Banned
rainking187 said:
I think you might need a different key, if you're using that thing that tells you where to go next I had the same problem. It directed me straight to a locked door instead of to the key I needed to open the door.

Checked a Guide and the key I recieved is exactly where the guide says the key I need was. Quest Log says I have the key to go to the location to launch the rock into space but when I get to the door no key and door says I need the key.

Mar

JasonUresti said:
To my sensibilities, harsh, jarring sounds are far more disturbing and uncomfortable to play through than the old, moldy cliche of whispering voices.

You are correct of course. Everyone's different and what creeps people out is entirely subjective. If you get creeped out by loud jarring sounds then yes, Dead Space is the best game for that. I can safely say and have done on a number of previous occasions, that the sound in the game is absolutely incredible.

Me however, what really creeps me out is the stuff you don't hear unless you're paying attention. The stuff that gets me is the stuff going on in the background. To be doing something then all of a sudden realise something really sinister or horrible is happening in your peripheral vision, or quiet and subdued behind loud sounds. Those things are my "holy fuck this is awesome" moments.

Just ploughed through the last three chapters and finished it (credits are still rolling, oh Havok physics, cool).
Wow. I have to say, it's a great game, really well polished (yes, everyone says it, it's true). I do feel the game wasn't varied enough, it became a fetch quest every chapter, which really dulled the fear (by chapter 8/9 it was pure tension, but the atmosphere had really waned at that stage). From the very first flash of Nicole on the tv screens I knew she was already dead and just a figment/controlled by the villain of the game. The plot really could have been better (instead of insultingly obvious), same with the audio/text logs, a huge missed opportunity when compared with System Shock 2/Bioshock.
One final annoyance (do remember that I really enjoyed it :D ) is the fact that the final trailer they released showed the final boss. I feared when I saw the trailer that he was the final boss, lo & be hold I was right. I think that's un-necessary and dampened the excitement at the scale of the beast.
Hats off to EA Redwood Shores, they did a fine job.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Tokubetsu said:
You really won't have to worry about PC ammo, especially if you're using it exclusively for that achievement. When you can, buy the line cutter and just keep selling it's ammo. 3000 credits a stack and it drops often if you've got it equipped. Im halfway through chapter 5 and I pretty much NEVER go below 50 rounds of pc ammo and I rarely actually buy. If you've got the damage upgraded as well, you'll be killing most things in like 2 shots.

I have no problem using other weapons, I don't care about achievements. The first node I found I used to upgrade the PC damage (I'm saving the other node until I find another, so I can actually upgrade something instead of moving in a direction on the board).

I'll def check out the line cutter as soon as I can afford it :D

laserbeam

Banned
Anyone know if there is a way to restart a chapter? Since there seems to be no way to rectify my missing key im stuck and I refuse to restart the whole game ill burn the DVD first in a fire.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jtwo said:
Just borrowed this from a friend.
Can't wait until tonight to really play it.

The graphics are fucking amazing. I couldn't believe how good it looked.
This is probably the least fun I have ever had playing a game.
The loud blaring horns in the soundscape are obnoxious as hell, the monster look like bullshit. The combat is ridiculously simplistic. So simplistic that the only way they could make the game difficult enough to play was to not give you enough ammo.. to the point where for the last 3 fucking checkpoints I've hit I've had NONE. I'm about to give up. I just threw my controller at the wall. I type this in a room lit by only the pause screen which is overlayed with the "please reconnect controller" notification.

The only thing this game has in spades is the presentation.

jrricky

Banned
Holy Shit. Played this baby last night for the first time and loved it. Gonna play some more later tnite:D .

Q: Why is it so hard to come around health, plus ammo runs out so fast, damn?

EDIT:u sir below me : why the hell the you spoil the plot?
i knew it in the back of my mind anyways, but still..

LM4sure

Banned
I'm playing through the game now, but I gotta say, this story has been told countless times. Now I haven't beaten the game yet, but I just knew there was going to be some crazed scientist that was behind all this. And I just got to that bit of the game. Fun game. Terrible story. And it's not scary. At all.

Has anyone seen the Dead Space movie yet? Should I finish the game before watching that? I don't want to ruin any surprises in the game.

So what do you guys think about the end? Did Nicole turn into a Necromorph or is Isaac just having a hallucination? I'm going for the latter.

Mar_ said:
You are correct of course. Everyone's different and what creeps people out is entirely subjective. If you get creeped out by loud jarring sounds then yes, Dead Space is the best game for that. I can safely say and have done on a number of previous occasions, that the sound in the game is absolutely incredible.

Me however, what really creeps me out is the stuff you don't hear unless you're paying attention. The stuff that gets me is the stuff going on in the background. To be doing something then all of a sudden realise something really sinister or horrible is happening in your peripheral vision, or quiet and subdued behind loud sounds. Those things are my "holy fuck this is awesome" moments.

I agree with you on the subtle bits of horror being the best, the little things that you don't realize are indicative of something terrible until its too late.

Creating moments like in games in general seems difficult, as its hard for the developers to know where a player may be looking with the camera, or time things based on a players movement, which can be too erratic to relied upon for pacing.

Anyway, Doom 3 is pretty good you say? Does it move away from the monster in the closet and spawn behind the player situations, or is that an element all the way through?

I marathoned through this game in order to beat it before Fable 2 came. I loved it. Asteroids where no big deal. I agree with everyone though that the game just wasnt scary. I would have loved more RE4 like bosses (like the thing in the castle sewers). I felt too powerful in this game, but the mechanics and upgrading kept the fun high.

This game also completely justified the $150 5.1 wireless headphones i bough a while back. So awesome.

Mar

JasonUresti said:
Anyway, Doom 3 is pretty good you say? Does it move away from the monster in the closet and spawn behind the player situations, or is that an element all the way through?

The monster closets aren't bad initially but progressively get worse over the course of the game. So bad that in the last few levels they don't even try and put the monsters in the environment anymore. They just spawn in around you when you pick something up. That was my main problem with the game, the developers just got really lazy at the end.

However, if you can handle that crappy game mechanic, where you can pretty much guarantee 95% of the time a monster will burst out of somewhere / spawn in whenever you pick up an item. The rest of the game is absolutely incredible. At least, it was on PC. I don't know if it's horribly broken on console. I do know however that they removed quite a bit of content from the console versions.

Sidzed2

Jtwo said:
This is probably the least fun I have ever had playing a game.
The loud blaring horns in the soundscape are obnoxious as hell, the monster look like bullshit. The combat is ridiculously simplistic. So simplistic that the only way they could make the game difficult enough to play was to not give you enough ammo.. to the point where for the last 3 fucking checkpoints I've hit I've had NONE. I'm about to give up. I just threw my controller at the wall. I type this in a room lit by only the pause screen which is overlayed with the "please reconnect controller" notification.

The only thing this game has in spades is the presentation.

You're a weird chappy.

You can't have played many games if this is the least fun game you've ever played.

saunderez

Sidzed2 said:
You're a weird chappy.

You can't have played many games if this is the least fun game you've ever played.
He's obviously never played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

THAT is the worst game I've ever played.

laserbeam

Banned
saunderez said:
He's obviously never played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

THAT is the worst game I've ever played.

haha yes. That was so bad :(

Btw can anyone upload a save that starts at chapter 8 so i can finish this game :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have not played Turning Point, but I have played Sonic Spinball.

Aeon712 said:
:lol, I just ended it and came to post the same thing
:lol ditto.
Can anyone explain the ending to me? lol Ghost in the shell type ish??

edit: I can't believe how anyone with a quality surround sound system could not think this game was scary.

big_z

blitztidues said:
So what do you guys think about the end? Did Nicole turn into a Necromorph or is Isaac just having a hallucination? I'm going for the latter.

that was her. Nicole killing herself only made her a perfect target for those manta ray things that turn bodies into monsters. The hive mind of the necromorphs is what caused isaac to think he was talking/seeing her. However after he destroys the planet his hallucinations should have stopped. So basically Isaac dies in the end.

big_z said:
that was her. Nicole killing herself only made her a perfect target for those manta ray things that turn bodies into monsters. The hive mind of the necromorphs is what caused isaac to think he was talking/seeing her. However after he destroys the planet his hallucinations should have stopped. So basically Isaac dies in the end.
It reminds me of the closing scenes in Event Horizon, and just like there, I also think it was a hallucination. While it's very likely that Nicole became a necromorph I think it's also possible that either stress/remnants of the marker were the cause of the hallucination.
To be killed by a single necromorph in the end seems a tad.... 'unfair'? Unfair is a bad way of putting it...
Also, seems that there's an official Dead Space twitter, dear old Issac started following me last night and brought it to my attention.

big_z

Zeouterlimits said:
It reminds me of the closing scenes in Event Horizon, and just like there, I also think it was a hallucination. While it's very likely that Nicole became a necromorph I think it's also possible that either stress/remnants of the marker were the cause of the hallucination.
To be killed by a single necromorph in the end seems a tad.... 'unfair'? Unfair is a bad way of putting it...

i know what you mean by unfair but fucking over the survivor right at the end is a very common occurance in horror. i bet the sequel kicks off with isaacs ship being picked up and the infection spreading that way.

guise

big_z said:
i know what you mean by unfair but fucking over the survivor right at the end is a very common occurance in horror. i bet the sequel kicks off with isaacs ship being picked up and the infection spreading that way.

The Ishimura is still in orbit isnt it? The planet got destroyed but there was no mention of what happened to the Ishimura at the end of the game, so the potential sequel could kick off in a number of ways

big_z

guise said:
The Ishimura is still in orbit isnt it? The planet got destroyed but there was no mention of what happened to the Ishimura at the end of the game, so the potential sequel could kick off in a number of ways

hard to say if it's in orbit. if you watch the horrible cartoon it shows that the ship is tethered to the rock that crashes into the planet at the end.

Top Bottom