• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

So I'm finally at the last chapter (fuuuuck this game is soooo good!) and I'm feeling a bit guilty because about half-way through I bought the Obsidian Suit. So I'm wondering if it made everything a bit easier than it should have been up to this point...

Thoughts? ....I definitely will play through on harder difficulties, sans Downloadable suits...

experienced a new glitch last night. again, PC version. chapter 10 spoilers.

so i get to the part where the hunter comes back. i pretty easily slow him down and trap him amongst the bunks. i run into the next room and hear the 'lock down commenced' thing and a bunch of the oily tougher ripper things drop in. but wait... a door ahead of me is unlocked...

i tear ass through the room to dive into the unlocked doorway to just 'doorway' the monsters. i think, it's weird that a door is open during lockdown...

i hit the button to open the door and the game crashes to the desktop.

oops i guess :)

still loving it. will definately have this finished by the weekend which is going to be gears 2 and l4d demo full.

plagiarize said:
experienced a new glitch last night. again, PC version. chapter 10 spoilers.

so i get to the part where the hunter comes back. i pretty easily slow him down and trap him amongst the bunks. i run into the next room and hear the 'lock down commenced' thing and a bunch of the oily tougher ripper things drop in. but wait... a door ahead of me is unlocked...

i tear ass through the room to dive into the unlocked doorway to just 'doorway' the monsters. i think, it's weird that a door is open during lockdown...

i hit the button to open the door and the game crashes to the desktop.

oops i guess :)

still loving it. will definately have this finished by the weekend which is going to be gears 2 and l4d demo full.

You running this on Vista? ....I notice all sorts of games just randomly crash to desktop with Vista for no real reason

Aeon712

big_z said:
that was her. Nicole killing herself only made her a perfect target for those manta ray things that turn bodies into monsters. The hive mind of the necromorphs is what caused isaac to think he was talking/seeing her. However after he destroys the planet his hallucinations should have stopped. So basically Isaac dies in the end.
Isacc was never being controlled by the hive mind, his hallucinations were caused by the Marker. It's obvious the Hive wouldn't tell Isacc how to seal itself back up. I'm also going with the ending being a Hallucination since without the Hive Mind the Necro's should stop funtioning like StarShip Troopers without the Brain Bug. Sequal can't start from Isacc's shuttle since the virus is spread by the manta rays not the necro's themselves.

AgentOtaku said:
You running this on Vista? ....I notice all sorts of games just randomly crash to desktop with Vista for no real reason
i'm running on vista 64 bit sp1. i've played through a bunch of games with no crashes to the desktop. unless that door is meant to be open, i'm figuring the engine didn't have the other room queued up ready to go, and there was nothing there when it opened causing a dump. it's just a guess but i'd never seen a moment in the game where a room went into lockdown and a single door was conspicuously left unlocked.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Picked this up on Saturday and played through chapter 3. Awesome game so far. Doesn't put me on edge as much as Condemned did, but still a ton of fun. My minor nitpick is the animations for melee and stomp have no variety. Melee combat itself is a bit cumbersome, but that's okay since the game was designed for shooting. Looking forward to playing with the other weapons after my initial plasma cutter run.

Question, how much does aiming matter for the limbs? Sometimes I see more than one dot on the limb, but other times nothing. I also was trying to aim for the shoulder area, but does that matter? Should I just aim for elbow?

hteng

Banned
just aim at the legs with horizontal cutting (alternate fire), when the dude falls down shoot off the limbs easily

Dyno

Finished my second run-through last night, this time on Hard.

I still SUCK at zero-gee basketball!

Fallout 3 is on my shelf saying: "Dude, what the fuck! What did you buy me for?" Thing is I kind of want to see if Impossible lives up to it's name.

Peng. Can anyone tell me where it is? I've looked for it twice and missed it so now I just want to know to see what it is.

maxax

Dyno said:
Finished my second run-through last night, this time on Hard.

I still SUCK at zero-gee basketball!

Fallout 3 is on my shelf saying: "Dude, what the fuck! What did you buy me for?" Thing is I kind of want to see if Impossible lives up to it's name.

Peng. Can anyone tell me where it is? I've looked for it twice and missed it so now I just want to know to see what it is.
Impossible wasn't really hard, it was just annoying at times.
Peng is
in chapter 11 when you get back to the area where you first entered the Ishimura with your little ship, between two of the walkways.

Lumine

Hey, could someone post the button layout for the PS3 version?

I bought the PC version, but it seems like a game where controls are more fun with a controller than keyboard/mouse. I want to try it by hooking up my ps2 controller to my PC.

Dyno

maxax said:
Impossible wasn't really hard, it was just annoying at times.
Peng is
in chapter 11 when you get back to the area where you first entered the Ishimura with your little ship, between two of the walkways.

Thanks dude!

Aeon712

Lumine said:
Hey, could someone post the button layout for the PS3 version?

I bought the PC version, but it seems like a game where controls are more fun with a controller than keyboard/mouse. I want to try it by hooking up my ps2 controller to my PC.

L1-Aim
L2-Run
R1-Melee
R2-Curbstomp
Select-Map
Triangle-Inventory
Square-Healt Packs
X-Action
R3-Nav System
L1+R1-Shoot
L1+R2-Alt Fire
L1+X-Reload
L1+Circle-Kinesis
L1+Square-Stasis
L1+Triangle=Jump in Zero G

BeeDog

Just finished the game, and I took my sweet-ass time with it (~15 hours 30 minutes the first time around :lol ). Such an awesome game, highly recommended. Those shooterish "quarantine lockdown" parts weren't as numerous as I thought after reading a bit about them, but when they came I really found it fun fighting the enemies off.

Also, the ending sequence
where Kendra gets owned, and when the Hive Mind reveals itself, and the boss fight itself
was some of the most beautiful shit I've seen on the PS3. So goddamn awesome.

:D Don't regret a single spent penny on this game.

Dave1988

BeeDog said:
Also, the ending sequence
where Kendra gets owned, and when the Hive Mind reveals itself, and the boss fight itself
was some of the most beautiful shit I've seen on the PS3. So goddamn awesome.

:D Don't regret a single spent penny on this game.

I agree with you 100% percent.

My only gripe with the game is the
Marker transportation sequence before the final boss
. It was so boring and repetetive. Ugh.

Now, time for Impossible. Any tips for this difficulty? (I'm going from Normal to Impossible).

shpankey

not an idiot
saunderez said:
He's obviously never played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

THAT is the worst game I've ever played.
I see your Turning Point and raise you: Rise of the Robots, sir!

just saw the blu ray dead space: downfall, and it was ok. nice backstory to the game.... pretty gory too. i think i would have perferred to watch it before i started playing but what can you do!

Dot50Cal

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Im on Vista 64 and I never had one crash. Beat the game two times already.

HiResDes

Dot50Cal said:
Ditto, I don't know if having Vista 64 is the difference, but dare I say that my OS is as stable or more stable than XP ever was.

Nose Master said:
Bleh. I took this game back the day before I installed surround sound. I have a strong feeling I would have enjoyed it more :(.
Possibly. The audio does add a hell of a lot to the atmosphere in the game. Headphones would have worked well too and the fake surround would have been just as effective i imagine.
Depends on if you enjoyed the gameplay enough though.

Dot50Cal said:
was there an unlocked door in the room i mentioned in my first post? i think it's just a scripting glitch causing the game to try to display a room that shouldn't be being displayed at that point and not being ready to go in memory.

Aeon712

Something I would like to know about the game is if all the Necro's are made from Humans where did the
Laviathan and Slug come from, they were freaking huge. Also after you kill the two of them in like chapter 10 or 11 you get attacked by a random tentacle, any idea what it was from?

finally picked this up. Still on Chapter 1, but man is this game awesome. My mouse lis wireless though and I can feel the lag, esp when turning. Im trying to get it working with my wiimote through glovepie, but I have to reinstall the standard MS bluetooth drivers. Might just use my PS3 controller if its too much trouble.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Just watched Downfall...I find it interesting that games are trying to establish a greater meta-story, and it actually works (if you take the DDP comic series into account).

Mar

zewone said:
What's "quite a bit of content"?

Well I probably shouldn't say 'quite a bit', seeing as I only played a small way into the first level on the console version. But it was enough to tell that 'quite a bit' of content was removed in that small area. A lot of the intro stuff, story build up, atmospheric build up, etc. Basically, it was enough to know that I didn't want to play it any further. Here's a snippet from a review of the xbox version which seems to explain it quite well:

As many may be aware of, the Xbox version of Doom 3 is not a 100% straight port of the PC version. Due to hardware limitations on the Xbox, the levels have all been separated into smaller areas. Also, some areas of the PC version are just completely missing from the Xbox version. For example, the first 2-3 hours of the PC version is only about 45-60mins long on the Xbox

So yeah, that sounds like a fair bit. And maybe this is why most people on this forum don't like the game. They've never actually played the real thing.

Mar_ said:
Well I probably shouldn't say 'quite a bit', seeing as I only played a small way into the first level on the console version. But it was enough to tell that 'quite a bit' of content was removed in that small area. A lot of the intro stuff, story build up, atmospheric build up, etc. Basically, it was enough to know that I didn't want to play it any further. Here's a snippet from a review of the xbox version which seems to explain it quite well:

So yeah, that sounds like a fair bit. And maybe this is why most people on this forum don't like the game. They've never actually played the real thing.
I played Doom 3 the day it came out on my PC and it was a fucking god awful game from day one.

Dead Space is like Doom 3 from an alternate universe where Doom 3 is a good game.

newsguy

How many chapters are in Dead Space? I'm about 7 hours in, I just beat the
huge thing in the hydroponics section
and the game is hard on my nerves. How many more hours of this can my male pattern baldness endure?!

BeeDog

newsguy said:
How many chapters are in Dead Space? I'm about 7 hours in, I just beat the
huge thing in the hydroponics section
and the game is hard on my nerves. How many more hours of this can my male pattern baldness endure?!

You're a bit more than halfway through now. :lol There's still a lot of stuff to cover.

newsguy

BeeDog said:
You're a bit more than halfway through now. :lol There's still a lot of stuff to cover.

33dffww.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Movie Spoilers
Was that Nicole in that scene, where the main character's team saves the passengers via air duct?

Lakitu

st5fu
This game is downright unforgiving at times. I'm on Chapter 10, I have pretty much zero health and what to do I come across around the corners, one of those crazy things on the wall that spit out these little things from it's stomach that shoot some sort of rocket at you and not only that, another fucking enemy comes down from the ceiling. FUCK THIS SHIT

SaitoH said:
Any tips for Z-ball?
You're finding it hard? Start the round, leap for the 2nd platform and just grab the ball and fling it back from where it came.
I didn't think it was hard, just took a small bit of time, so patience is what's important.

Eeery disconnect between it and what's happening on the ship, especially with the recorded cheering. I kick ass, walk out the door and am then leapt at by a necro, hurling me back to reality, that I'm on a ship full of monsters..

JB1981

Lakitu said:
This game is downright unforgiving at times. I'm on Chapter 10, I have pretty much zero health and what to do I come across around the corners, one of those crazy things on the wall that spit out these little things from it's stomach that shoot some sort of rocket at you and not only that, another fucking enemy comes down from the ceiling. FUCK THIS SHIT
yea shit gets hard in spots. backtrack like a motherfucker and go shopping or find some health/ammo/stasis

Wark

Pankaks said:
Movie Spoilers
Was that Nicole in that scene, where the main character's team saves the passengers via air duct?

Are you talking about the scene with
the girl crying because she missed her boyfriend? Yeah, I was assuming that was Nicole.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wark said:
Are you talking about the scene with
the girl crying because she missed her boyfriend? Yeah, I was assuming that was Nicole.

Ah cool, thanks was just making sure. :D

Only like at Chapter 3 or 4 but I just can't help posting and saying how fucking dope this game. The best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a videogame. I haven't been this creeped out since the original Silent Hill.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Lakitu said:

The wall creatures are easy. Deal with the regular enemy first, then keep popping in and out of cover to take out the small creatures. It's like one hit to the tentacle to kill it. Concentrate on the bigger creature when you get the chance to.

And yes, as of right now, this is honestly my Game of the Year as far as games I've played and finished :D

Love the universe that's been created here and very much look forward to a sequel

If I had anything to add is that there's a common criticism that towards the latter half of it all, you become powered up and the Necromorphs less of a threat. While some may dislike this, I actually really appeciated it. You, the player, gets used to everything and start to become a force to be reckoned with. It's very empowering and I dunno, I dug it....I wouldn't wanna feel on edge the entire time as that would get tiresome. So yeah, the latter half becomes more of a Sci-fi thriller/shooter and I for one, loved it!

hteng

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
And yes, as of right now, this is honestly my Game of the Year as far as games I've played and finished :D

Love the universe that's been created here and very much look forward to a sequel

If I had anything to add is that there's a common criticism that towards the latter half of it all, you become powered up and the Necromorphs less of a threat. While some may dislike this, I actually really appeciated it. You, the player, gets used to everything and start to become a force to be reckoned with. It's very empowering and I dunno, I dug it....I wouldn't wanna feel on edge the entire time as that would get tiresome. So yeah, the latter half becomes more of a Sci-fi thriller/shooter and I for one, loved it!

well shit i still feel vulnerable with a level 4 suit + 3 Health upgrades, at Chapter 7, i can only play one chapter per day, the game's too fucking scary to play, i hate those fights puts you in a quarantine room and throws you a bajillion necromophs

hteng said:
well shit i still feel vulnerable with a level 4 suit + 3 Health upgrades, at Chapter 7, i can only play one chapter per day, the game's too fucking scary to play, i hate those fights puts you in a quarantine room and throws you a bajillion necromophs

Those are some of my favorite fights. Had an maxed out Pulse Rifle and Plasma Cutter by the end. Whenever the female AI Quarantine voice came on, I would have a total "bring 'em on!" moment :D

Combat is just soooo fucking visceral and satisfying!

BeeDog

Started a bit on my second round through this game, now souped up with the military suit. I did a plasma cutter-only run the first time around, and now I'm using the pulse rifle. Holy shit it's fun to use, talk about great sound effects!

Mar

AgentOtaku said:
Those are some of my favorite fights. Had an maxed out Pulse Rifle and Plasma Cutter by the end.

My weapons of choice were the Pulse Rifle and Ripper.

The Pulse Rifle was great when maxed out. Fast, deadly, and sounded mother fucking awesome. The whole street knew when I was firing that baby.

The Ripper was my favourite all purpose weapon though. I couldn't get enough of the sound effects of it tearing through flesh and then grinding on metal. The only problem with it is the blade is hard to position sometimes and seemingly refused to hit limb.

Top Bottom