• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Mindlog

I never really found it too scary really, but I found the environment to be really draining (tense is a pretty good word). I don't know how to explain it better quite yet. I agree with the ZP review that said the pacing could have been a little better and that there should have been an occasional 'relief' from the miserable environment.

IMO a possible scenario for such a thing would have been the
bridge or a possible 'backup bridge'
. Imagine first walking into such a grand place and finding it in immaculate condition. Maybe containment held and whatnot. Then slowly increasing discomfort with that environment in some form or another.

I still really really enjoyed the game and it's one of my favorite of the year. I would have no problem seeing it win awards.

Core407

Banned
Mindlog said:
I never really found it too scary really, but I found the environment to be really draining (tense is a pretty good word). I don't know how to explain it better quite yet. I agree with the ZP review that said the pacing could have been a little better and that there should have been an occasional 'relief' from the miserable environment.

IMO a possible scenario for such a thing would have been the
bridge or a possible 'backup bridge'
. Imagine first walking into such a grand place and finding it in immaculate condition. Maybe containment held and whatnot. Then slowly increasing discomfort with that environment in some form or another.

I still really really enjoyed the game and it's one of my favorite of the year. I would have no problem seeing it win awards.

I thought the environments were great and once you hit chapter 6, things changed. I don't get how people weren't relieved when entering the garden-type area. I thought it was beautiful.

Core407

Banned
JRW said:
Long story short, 360 version, but its not a huge differance (I own both).

Wrong! The answer is the PC version w/ a DS3 or 360 pad.

Some pictures I took! Look at the color of the suit - the lighting in the game is incredible. :D

vlcsnap943886na9.png

vlcsnap944110mf8.png

vlcsnap943187zu2.png

I actually have a 1.6GB video I recorded me of beating the chapter 6 boss. It's about 5 minutes long, has no sound but is at like 800x600 resolution.

MMaRsu said:
Fuck man, this game is waaay to fucking scary. Sorry Darunia, but I hope I finish it soon. Shit man, it's killing my nerves :(. It's soo tense!

So true...Perhabs I'm a bit claustrophobic but I think this is the scariest game I ever played.
I love the way it is produced. It seems so...complete and perfect for what it is.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Unless Gears 3 does something for me, Dead Space is the best looking console game I'd say. As said before, it's all the little details and not an ounce of wasted space. Har, har.

SaitoH

Just finished my second playthrough and I'm missing two trophies. It was loads of fun, but I have too many other games to to do another playthrough to get those last two trophies. Hopefully that team will get a crack at another game and not necessarily a dead space sequel.

Thoroughly impressed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
MMaRsu said:
Fuck man, this game is waaay to fucking scary. Sorry Darunia, but I hope I finish it soon. Shit man, it's killing my nerves :(. It's soo tense!

Whenever you want it back just let me know..hope I finish it before then though..

Didn't you start on hard? You did it to yourself :p

How far along are you? If you think you'll beat it sometime soon then just soldier on. You can keep it for a while longer, it's not like I'm running out of stuff to play anyway

MMaRsu

Darunia said:
Didn't you start on hard? You did it to yourself :p

How far along are you? If you think you'll beat it sometime soon then just soldier on. You can keep it for a while longer, it's not like I'm running out of stuff to play anyway

Well yeah I did start on hard, it's just that I think the eexperience is probably better than on normal.

I'm on chapter four btw, I only want to play it at night :p

Broseybrose

Core407 said:

Some pictures I took! Look at the color of the suit - the lighting in the game is incredible. :D

I actually have a 1.6GB video I recorded me of beating the chapter 6 boss. It's about 5 minutes long, has no sound but is at like 800x600 resolution.
nice shots. i play maxed at 1920x1200 and its jaw dropping.

but i just want to say that if you learn the controls its SOOO playable with m/kb. im tired of people saying its not playable with m/kb because its just not true.

I finished the game last night.

I thought the ending was great. The final boss was way too easy (on medium), but I can look past that.

Definitely one of the best games I've played lately.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
MMaRsu said:
Well yeah I did start on hard, it's just that I think the eexperience is probably better than on normal.

I'm on chapter four btw, I only want to play it at night :p

chapter 4 eh? so at this rate I'll have my game back say... next month? :p

Core407

Banned
Broseybrose said:
nice shots. i play maxed at 1920x1200 and its jaw dropping.

but i just want to say that if you learn the controls its SOOO playable with m/kb. im tired of people saying its not playable with m/kb because its just not true.

I might give it a run through with the KB/M on the 2nd playthrough. I just automatically used the DS3 because everyone said to. Probably should have tried the KB/M first though.

Core407

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Is everyone still using those 3rd party drivers for the DS3's when playing on PC?
Yeah - I'm using the Japanese one though. Gamesaike its called? I couldn't get the US one to work and the Japanese one works fine but there is no rumble. :(

Mar

Started an impossible mode run today. I'm actually surprised how easy it is. Besides the now and again one shot kills you get hit by, the game is exactly the same as medium. I was expecting it to be really really hard.

Wowbagger

Trying to play it on PC with an Xbox360 controller and the right stick's deadzone is so large you almost have to slam it into the side to get a reaction. Needless to say, there is very little separating slow from fast turning and aiming is a real bitch. Anyone else having this issue? Starting to think I should've gotten the PS3 version instead. :(

jsrv

Does the PS3 version of the game support mouse/keyboard?

With a mouse it'll be much easier to do the ADS cannon part

JRW

Core407 said:

For me it was the decision between my 360 on a 50" Plasma / 7.1 surround setup or my PC on a 24" monitor / Logitech Z5500's .. The answer was easy: 360.

Core407

Banned
JRW said:
For me it was the decision between my 360 on a 50" Plasma / 7.1 surround setup or my PC on a 24" monitor / Logitech Z5500's .. The answer was easy: 360.

Most video cards now support dual monitors. If I had a TV like that, I'd hook up my computer to that and just play it on that with the PS3 pad @ max settings and highest resolution. Guarantee you it would look a million times better than the 360 version. ;)

JRW

Core407 said:
Most video cards now support dual monitors. If I had a TV like that, I'd hook up my computer to that and just play it on that with the PS3 pad @ max settings and highest resolution. Guarantee you it would look a million times better than the 360 version. ;)

I have done that (pic here) but I can never get proper surround sound working from my PC to Receiver (X-Fi optical output) and it ends up sounding much better on 360. Also PC's version has a slight input lag even with vsync disabled, its not huge but noticeable.

Anyone playing it on PC with the rumblepad 2? I do and I've got no reasons to complain. Rumble works as well. I'd like to know how the controlls of the RP2 compare to the DS or 360Pad.

f@luS said:
how can i activate antialiasing on the game with an ATI card?
It's an option under "Advanced settings" in the visuals menu ingame or you can try to force it by right clicking the ATi systray icon, choosing your card, 3d settings and finally AntiAliasing or use the ATi control panel. Some people also set v-sync using the control panels as the ingame option is broken apparently.

f@luS

More than a member.
EdwardTivrusky said:
It's an option under "Advanced settings" in the visuals menu ingame or you can try to force it by right clicking the ATi systray icon, choosing your card, 3d settings and finally AntiAliasing or use the ATi control panel. Some people also set v-sync using the control panels as the ingame option is broken apparently.
i know this but it doesnt work. same for Unreal 3 or other UE3 games. Cant force it through CCC panel

You're right, I've just had a quick look around and all i can see are people waiting for a patch as they assume it's a bug. Forcing AA in control panels or ingame doesn't seem to work. Aside from the intro i hadn't really noticed anything off but i'm back pc gaming with a new rig after a long break and to me everything looks excellent at the moment :D

f@luS

More than a member.
there is no big landscape though , aa isnt vital.

Omg i just found that you can click on the right joystick and that show the direction.....i always looked at the map until now (playing on pc with 360 pad)

i feel stupid...so usefull thing :lol

edit :
2 screens i just took
350885Dead_Space_2008_11_08_14_00_45_82.jpg

199055Dead_Space_2008_11_08_14_01_24_05.jpg

Tarin02543

I finally got my ps3 copy in the mail after an agonizing 2 week wait, wow what a fantastic game! This is the game that fulfills all the hype that doom3 couldn't deliver, what an awesome presentation of a horror game.

I've only completed the first chapter, I'm still exploring the bloody medical section (I just blew up the barricade with that mcguyver bomb).

djkimothy

Quick question hopefully without spoilers. When you finish the game, do you keep all the upgrades you made to your weapons and suit?

djkimothy said:
Quick question hopefully without spoilers. When you finish the game, do you keep all the upgrades you made to your weapons and suit?

Yes ...but it will only carry over for the same difficulty ...harder difficulties you start from scratch

djkimothy

AgentOtaku said:
Yes ...but it will only carry over for the same difficulty ...harder difficulties you start from scratch

Sounds good I guess. I've invested so much in the plasma cutter and rig, I haven't had a chance to use other weapons much.

djkimothy

This has probably been discussed before, but is Dead Space just an elaborate mocking of scientology?

The parallels are staggering. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
i was thinking the same thing, definitely seems based on it for sure.

hell, even the name "Unitology" sounds like "Scientology" and "Unitologist's" just like "Scientologist's".

The story of what Unitologists believe is extremely similar too.

I think it's pretty obvious.

djkimothy

shpankey said:
i was thinking the same thing, definitely seems based on it for sure.

hell, even the name "Unitology" sounds like "Scientology" and "Unitologist's" just like "Scientologist's".

The story of what Unitologists believe is extremely similar too.

I think it's pretty obvious.

Yah, not only that, the game emphasizes that you need power and money to go up the ranks in Unitology. Similar to what is claimed for scientology.

Just beat chapter 6! spoiler->
Wow...that boss was great! I freaked out in the beginning when the colors were muted..and suddenly *BAM* those tentacles appear and you've got clear sight.

Core407

Banned
DieNgamers said:
Just beat chapter 6! spoiler->
Wow...that boss was great! I freaked out in the beginning when the colors were muted..and suddenly *BAM* those tentacles appear and you've got clear sight.

It's cool how the color changes when the second phase starts - the red makes everything stand out.

djkimothy said:
Oh man, that's when the shit hits the fan. Loved it. :D

Those were the most inept soldiers I have ever seen. ONE necromorph manages to kill them all? Come on! Isaac is just a lowly engineer but still manages to commit alien-monster genocide.
:D

djkimothy

You know what's funny...

Chapter 12

I'm carrying the marker against my very instincts knowing this is all wrong, I finally trolley it outside and the first thing I see, a fucking pit monster a-la Return of the Jedi times 1000. First thing that comes to my mind..."Fuck this, I'm going home." But nope, I must trolley the marker to finish an "objective." For an engineer, Issac has balls.

Jack Scofield said:
Those were the most inept soldiers I have ever seen. ONE necromorph manages to kill them all? Come on! Isaac is just a lowly engineer but still manages to commit alien-monster genocide.
:D
Chapter 9 spoilers continued: Yeah that was the biggest plot hole by a country mile. From the logs we know that
those soldiers had jumped in expecting trouble...and then get taken out by a single necromorph?

Mar_ said:
Started an impossible mode run today. I'm actually surprised how easy it is. Besides the now and again one shot kills you get hit by, the game is exactly the same as medium. I was expecting it to be really really hard.

Wait until the creepy, jittery soldiers...

I'm at the final boss on Impossible and it's so damn hard. I'm at the stage where you
shoot out the egg sacs
. There's just a lot to deal with and getting my timing down is tough.

Hoping to beat the bitch by tuesday.

Atrus

Gold Member
bigdaddygamebot said:
Wait until the creepy, jittery soldiers...

I'm at the final boss on Impossible and it's so damn hard. I'm at the stage where you
shoot out the egg sacs
. There's just a lot to deal with and getting my timing down is tough.

Hoping to beat the bitch by tuesday.

Just use the line cutter's mines. On my impossible run I just fired blindly inside there and they did the trick. Far more effective than the Plasma Cutter at any rate.

Another trick is to whittle the health of all the eyes down to near nothing first before killing them off. It means having to shoot the last two only once.

Top Bottom