• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
McLovin said:
So.. I'm the only person getting that 80022d11 error?
Try deactivating your account on the console and activating it again (using options on the Account management panel)

I'm almost willing to be this will help, I had similar weird problem when I was backing up data on one PS3 and restoring it on another. After installing 2.5 system update and restoring data, it all seemed fine, but trophies wouldn't sync and PSN games wouldn't start. Deactivating and activating again fixed it all up.

just finished the game. great game, I was planning to sell this after playing a little bit but I ended up keeping it for collection. love it. I also checked out the comics and the animated movie and I like the universe they created in Dead Space and it's pretty easy to see this as a franchise.

anyway, I have some questions about the story

what is the marker exactly? what I get is that it's Alien relic found on earth, and the one in this game is a fake, man-made version of the relic. so, what's the connection between the marker, and necromorph
what's causing the hallucination and paranoia? the marker? or the necromorph hive mind
are necromorph intelligent being? I was under impression it's just running on instinct, like Aliens, but if they are the one controlling people through hallucination, it mean they are intelligent right?
someone explain the ending for me, how can Necro Nicole be on that shuttle
if Nicole is not real, then who's the one we need to protect when Nicole is opening the door
is Kendra messing with Nicole's video at the start of the game, how can Isaac never know Nicole is dead

some thought on what direction the sequel may take:
new main character I guess, although I hope Isaac is not dead after the ending
new marker found, new rescue team etc, I hope this is not what the sequel is going to be since it seems like a reset
personally, I'd like if Isaac survive and make his report about the whole thing and see whare the story go about this discoveries, I'd like the setting to be on earth for once so I can see more a diverse environment
about the gameplay, maybe make random enemy spawn, because in this game, it's too easy to run back to store because you know the area is pretty much cleared

probably some other question I forgot, but that's all for now. I want to replay it again with max stat and everything but maybe won't have time to finish it because I've been dying to play R2.

Ventrue

Callibretto said:
just finished the game. great game, I was planning to sell this after playing a little bit but I ended up keeping it for collection. love it. I also checked out the comics and the animated movie and I like the universe they created in Dead Space and it's pretty easy to see this as a franchise.

what is the marker exactly? what I get is that it's Alien relic found on earth, and the one in this game is a fake, man-made version of the relic. so, what's the connection between the marker, and necromorph
what's causing the hallucination and paranoia? the marker? or the necromorph hive mind
are necromorph intelligent being? I was under impression it's just running on instinct, like Aliens, but if they are the one controlling people through hallucination, it mean they are intelligent right?
if Nicole is not real, then who's the one we need to protect when Nicole is opening the door
is Kendra messing with Nicole's video at the start of the game, how can Isaac never know Nicole is dead

1. Left ambiguous.
2. Kendra suggests that the Hive Mind has been controlling you, so that. However, it seems to work through the marker (paranoia on the ship started with the marker being brought aboard).
3. The hive mind is intelligent, its unclear what exactly the necromorphs think/how aware the hive mind is through them.
4. Presumably she hitched a ride down to the planet with you, and you were too crazy to realise (under the Hive Mind's thrall).
5. Hallucinations seem to explain everything here. Maybe it was necromorph Nicole, maybe it was another survivor, maybe Isaac opened the door himself.
6. As I understood it, Isaac simply forgot that she was dead since he was hallucinating. Kendra suggests at the beginning that Isaac has watched the film a bunch of times. It seems to me that the film being cut short at the beginning doesn't mean that Isaac hasn't seen the full thing before, just that the player hasn't (until Isaac watches the full thing again post-hallucinations).

Callibretto said:

some thought on what direction the sequel may take:
new main character I guess, although I hope Isaac is not dead after the ending
new marker found, new rescue team etc, I hope this is not what the sequel is going to be since it seems like a reset
personally, I'd like if Isaac survive and make his report about the whole thing and see whare the story go about this discoveries, I'd like the setting to be on earth for once so I can see more a diverse environment
about the gameplay, maybe make random enemy spawn, because in this game, it's too easy to run back to store because you know the area is pretty much cleared

probably some other question I forgot, but that's all for now. I want to replay it again with max stat and everything but maybe won't have time to finish it because I've been dying to play R2.

These are my answers, so don't take them as gospel or anything

1. As of right now, the marker is an alien construct that may or may not have the blueprints for Immortality. From my understanding, the team researching the marker on Aegis7, got their info mixed up and either created the necromorphs themselves (doubtful), or the marker had an alien bacteria on it that just fucks up people DNA...said same bacteria/virus that the scientists want to study for it being regenerative
2. Pretty certain the marker causes the "visions"
3. Necromorphs are just reanimated flesh that the Hivemind controls
4. Pretty sure that Nicole is just another hallucination for Isaac as when you become a Necro, your body gets so distorted that your unrecognizable. Isaac just went through alot so I'm sure it was post traumatic stress...
5. Again, it's believed Nicole WASN'T there at all....could have just been another Quarantine scenerio
6. He never knew because, he either didn't wanna know or Kendra manipulated the video feed

Rolf NB

Ventrue said:
jigzk7.jpg
Quoted for the super-awesome tunnel. What a moment.

Callibretto said:

1. The marker contains a DNA code, and also appears to be both sentient and able to cause hallucinations which it can shape. The necromorph DNA was contained in the marker, and the marker also seems to emit some sort of field which prevents 'recombination'. The man-made one is red rather than black like the original Earth one, indicating that they got the red marker 'wrong' (they describe at one point the fact that the black marker had some materials they'd never seen before and they had to use close substitutes), which could be why instead of unlocking the secret of immortality we ended up with the necromorphs.
2. The marker I believe.
3. They don't demonstrate any particular intelligence but who knows.
4. Doesn't make much sense. Maybe it is Isaac hallucinating. Of all the necros on the Ishimura, it would seem pretty unbelievable that a) it was able to sneak on board the shuttle and remain hidden for the entire trip down to the colony, and b) it was nicole.
5. It could just be a very elaborate hallucination. Maybe the door wasn't even locked, and the necros and nicole were all hallucinations.
6. The transmission seems to have been censored, either by CEC or the government. Most likely the government, since Kendra has the full broadcast. Obviously the government wanted to keep the situation under wraps. At the start we know that Kendra has overseen the broadcast that Isaac is watching ("how many times have you watched that thing?") and suggests that he will be able to look Nicole up when they land (even though kendra knows that she's dead). Maybe the idea was that Kendra could use false information about Nicole as a carrot to control Isaac on the ship and get him to do whatever she needed to get done.

adam_grif

Banned
Could someone please summarize the plot of the game briefly for me? I was going to rent it the other week, but the store didn't have it (stupid Australian release dates), and I won't get another opportunity for the next whole month.

adam_grif said:
Could someone please summarize the plot of the game briefly for me? I was going to rent it the other week, but the store didn't have it (stupid Australian release dates), and I won't get another opportunity for the next whole month.

Then wikipedia it...

Momar

aka Ryder
Mar_ said:
Remind me what happened. I was completely drunk through the entirety of the game.

If I remember correctly, I was fucking balls out of my mind scared because I was absolutely POSITIVE something would happened, and nothing happened!

Also, I just want to say, because I don't think I got a chance to say this already, this game is fucking awesome. Only problem is it was reallllly tough to play, super tough on my nerves. It was the type of game that really overwhelmed me, both in a good and potentially unhealthy way :lol

But yeah, this game fucking rocks. Everybody needs to play it.

Rolf NB

Mar_ said:
Remind me what happened. I was completely drunk through the entirety of the game.
Nothing! You're just riding a li'l cart through the tunnel. It goes very fast, and there's a lot of sound going on, some kind of high-speed wind noise. It's really scary, because you expect something to happen at any moment.
Of course it's not going to work when you're drunk.

That part is one of a select few that really made me realize how the game had grabbed me, made me tense, raised my wanting to be aware and ready to spring at all times. Utterly brilliant.
Ryder said:
Also, I just want to say, because I don't think I got a chance to say this already, this game is fucking awesome. Only problem is it was reallllly tough to play, super tough on my nerves. It was the type of game that really overwhelmed me, both in a good and potentially unhealthy way :lol

But yeah, this game fucking rocks. Everybody needs to play it.
So true. Playing Dead Space is actual stress. Horror ftw.

It might have something to do with me starting on hard and going for the one-gun trophy right away, but I really have to fight tooth and nail. Can never ease up.

Vorador

Banned
Hey, something happened in the tunnel.

You're expecting something to appear, and then bam!, a corpse falls and hangs upside-down from the ceiling

I finished the game a week ago, awesome game. But EA Downloader is such a shitty program. I can't make it work at all :(

Mar

Ryder said:
If I remember correctly, I was fucking balls out of my mind scared because I was absolutely POSITIVE something would happened, and nothing happened!

Ahh, cool, thanks. I remember it now. I think I was confused because
it sounded like something big happened, and I couldn't remember anything happening.

Momar

aka Ryder
Vorador said:
Hey, something happened in the tunnel.

You're expecting something to appear, and then bam!, a corpse falls and hangs upside-down from the ceiling

I finished the game a week ago, awesome game. But EA Downloader is such a shitty program. I can't make it work at all :(

It fell? I just remember it hanging there as it flopped against my face. All I remember was that the little cart you were in went at such a speed that it wasn't too fast that you couldn't notice your surroundings, but it was just fast enough for me to feel like I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO SEE WHAT WAS COMING OH GOD SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN PLEASE

Ventrue

Ryder said:
It fell? I just remember it hanging there as it flopped against my face. All I remember was that the little cart you were in went at such a speed that it wasn't too fast that you couldn't notice your surroundings, but it was just fast enough for me to feel like I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO SEE WHAT WAS COMING OH GOD SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN PLEASE

I think I actually shot at it. I was tense. I even
realised that it was just a body, but I was too freaked out not to shoot I think.

Vorador

Banned
Ryder said:

Yes, it was hanging, but i think it fell from above since i saw it moving before i got closer. Honestly i almost shot at it, but then i realized it was just a corpse

Awesome game :lol

Momar

aka Ryder
Vorador said:
Yes, it was hanging, but i think it fell from above since i saw it moving before i got closer. Honestly i almost shot at it, but then i realized it was just a corpse

Awesome game :lol

I definitely
shot at it even after I had realized it was only a corpse, I was seriously terrified.

It's really a remarkable thing that I ever even played this game; I'm usually an absolute wuss when it comes to horror games and movies. I just remember seeing some of the trailers and early impressions and thinking "I'm just going to walk down the street, buy this game, and play the fucking shit out of it this weekend until I can't any longer." And that's exactly what I did, couldn't have been happier with my decision :D

Mar

Ryder said:
I definitely
shot at it even after I had realized it was only a corpse, I was seriously terrified.

Heh, reminds me of the part when
there's a dude just sitting lying back against a wall when you walk in, and then he starts getting up and moaning.
I fucking flamed the shit out of that fucker until he stopped moving. Realising afterward he
was just another half dead corpse that just falls over

3 people answer my post and I still don't know which one is real. I guess it's just intentionally left vague by EA for the sequels.

EA need to be very careful about this. I've seen many movies, games, anime that use mystery as it's hooks to make the story interesting only to have the big reveal disappointing, not up to it's hype, and receive backlash more than it deserves. and I really like the game, it's will be a shame if the franchise is known more for it's blunder than it's great atmosphere and gameplay.

I still hope they give a little more concrete answer to this game. from what I've read so far, I tend to like endlessfood's answer because it's similar to what I get out of the game. also because
somehow, the idea of intelligent necromorph capable to deceive and manipulate you annoy me. also by blaming everything to the marker, we get potential to see more creature other than necromorphs meaning EA have more room for it's sequel rather than just keep making different rotting flesh creature

atomico

Mammothtank said:
Hell I had to burn the smallest critters in the game (The crawlers that erupt from the bloated guys)

speaking of those tiny fuckers, do each of those things count as single kills (for trophies)?

In terms of ideas for the next game,
is anybody else as freaked out as I am by the revelation that not only have the Unitologists preserved the corpses of every single one of their members who has ever died, but that they have also built an enormous fleet of mausoleum ships? After getting that text log in Chapter 10 I assumed the end of the game would feature that fleet suddenly arriving and Isaac having to do something pretty drastic to avoid the destruction of the entire human race...

endlessflood said:
In terms of ideas for the next game,
is anybody else as freaked out as I am by the revelation that not only have the Unitologists preserved the corpses of every single one of their members who has ever died, but that they have also built an enormous fleet of mausoleum ships? After getting that text log in Chapter 10 I assumed the end of the game would feature that fleet suddenly arriving and Isaac having to do something pretty drastic to avoid the destruction of the entire human race...

I do take notice of that. I just figure that somewhere in the series,
we'll get something revolving around the real marker, the origin, and hey, maybe we'll get to see the original alien species. since I believe the marker to be sentient somehow, I'd guess their primary goal right now is for the human to use the right dna and ressurect the species somehow. I guess necromorph will return bigger and badder because of the cult. by this time, the cult remind me a little to Umbrella corp in Resident Evil. I do hope the next setting won't be in another wrecked ship though. I hope it's on some colony or maybe even earth, have a more transparent objective rather than this game's fetch quest

shpankey

not an idiot
finished it the other night, man what a fantastic ending to a fantastic game! loved it. started up gears 2 afterwards and that is awesome as well. man, we are in a great time of gaming right now, so many awesome games out or coming out. got to fit in fallout 3 and fable 2 in somewhere also. :D anyhow, kudos to EA for a masterpiece in Dead Space. i really hope they make this a series and continue the great storyline.

JonnyBrad

Ok this is what i didn't undertand.

The Marker is used to trap the hivemind on the planet, but was the hivemind there before the marker was put there - or was it created by the marker when it was put there.
I was half assuming that the marker was put there as a way to seal in the deadly hivemind but it seems that the hivemind can use the marker to give people hallucinations/control the necros so why would trap it

Also did anyone find it dumb that in
downfall they show that the necros can't go near the marker but that in the game they're quite happy to come right up to you standing by it and slash you
?

dalyr95

I don't see how people think Issac was in shock and was
ignoring the fact that Nicole died.
As Hammond and the girl say repeatly "They will help Issac find Nicole"

The end of the message was withheld as to get Issac to give 110%

I seem to be missing alot of logs and messages, I checked most nooks and crannies, are some completely hidden. Also when you complete the game you unlock the military logs?? WTF are they?

atomico

dalyr95 said:

regardless of how obvious it all sounds, you might wanna spoiler tag that

dalyr95 said:
I seem to be missing alot of logs and messages, I checked most nooks and crannies, are some completely hidden.

same here. I even move most boxes out of the way and check behind them, but I'm still missing a ton of them.

I did drop oone through a floor grating or something in an early chapter (3, I think). spent a good 8 minutes trying to find it from the lower floor, no such luck :lol

Vorador

Banned
So in New Game+
you can discover more logs?

I guess i will play trough it again (even if
i don't like the design of the new military suit
)

well, it'd be nice if we can get all those for free, but I don't blame EA for wanting extra revenue from their title. besides, no one is arguing that the retail Dead Space is lacking in term of content.

if all these dlc help fund the sequel to be a bigger and better game, I'm all for it. I'm not gonna buy all if those anyway, just some that might interest me.

I hope they have new weapons in future dlc, I for one, would like to have a melee weapon like the one in Downfall movie.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
joelseph said:
Sigh? Really? The correct response is indifference.
Sigh, because I'll have to buy them.

atomico

Dyno said:
I can't read that kotaku link at work. What's the news?

Electronic Arts Inc. announced today that the critically acclaimed Dead Space™ will be releasing premium upgrade packs* to provide the game hero, Isaac Clarke, an everyday systems engineer, with the ultimate Necromorph-dismembering equipment in his fight for survival aboard the space-traveling USG Ishimura. Players can experience the glory of strategic dismemberment November 13 on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace worldwide and the PLAYSTATION®Store** in Europe. These premium upgrade packs will be available on the PLAYSTATION Store worldwide November 20.

(...)

The complete list of upgrade packs include:

—
Astronaut Pack: Download the Astronaut Suit and Weapon Skin Pack, featuring an amazing Astronaut Suit and new skins for the Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper!
— $3.00 / 240 MS points

— Big Gun Pack: Download the Steam Punk Force Gun, the ultimate in Necromorph-killing destruction.
— $1.00 / 80 MS points

— Heavy Damage Pack: Download the Heavy Damage Weapon pack featuring a cool new look and massive firepower for the Plasma Cutter, Contact Beam, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper.
— $3.00 / 240 MS points

— Hot Rod Pack: Download the Hot Rod Weapon Skin Pack, featuring awesome flame graphics for the Flamethrower and Pulse Rifle.
— $1.00 / 80 MS points

— Military Pack: Download the Military Weapon Pack for a new look and enhanced power for all 7 Dead Space weapons.
— $4.00 / 320 MS points

— Scorpion Pack: Download the Scorpion Pack featuring an upgraded Level 5 Suit and powered up Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun, all decorated in an awesome red Scorpion Skin.
— $4.00 / 320 MS points

— Scorpion Weapon Pack: Download the Scorpion Weapon Pack featuring a faster death-dealing Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun in awesome red skins.
— $2.25 / 180 MS points

— Speed Kills Pack: Download the Speed Kills Weapon Pack! Includes faster-firing Force Gun, Line Gun, and Plasma Cutter.
— $2.25 / 180 MS points

— Tank Pack: Download the Tank Pack featuring an upgraded Level 5 Suit and powered up Flamethrower, Force Gun, and Line Gun, all covered in Unitology script.
— $4.00 / 320 MS points

PLAYSTATION®3 Exclusive Packs:

— Obsidian Weapon Skin Pack: Download the exclusive Obsidian Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Includes weapon skins in jet-black PLAYSTATION 3 colors for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle.

— $1.50

— Obsidian Pack: Download the exclusive Obsidian Suit and Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the PLAYSTATION®3! Includes an upgraded Level 5 suit, and weapon skins for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle, all in jet-black PLAYSTATION®3 colors.

— $3.00

Xbox 360®-Exclusive Packs:

— Elite Weapon Skin Pack: Download the exclusive Elite Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system! Includes weapon skins in Xbox 360 colors for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle.

— 120 MS points

— Elite Pack: Download the exclusive Elite Suit and Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the Xbox 360! Includes an upgraded Level 5 suit, and weapon skins for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle in Xbox 360 colors.
— 240 MS points

EA will be EA, I guess :lol

As for the ending:

I think Nicole at the end was a hallucination, from being so close to the marker. He probably has some type of PTSD. Also, I think the hive mind was created from the Marker, as stated, the original had a DNA imprint on it. If they recreated a "corrupted" marker, that DNA signature was fudged, and instead of created a supreme being, it created a corrupted version, the Hive Mind. Instead of regular eternal life, i.e. living forever, it created an alternate of that, with flesh being reanimated in grotesque manners. Im hoping the sequel will bring Isaacs hallucinations into play, making him see things not there.

ssoass

Callibretto said:

Aliens seem pretty damn intelligent to me.
Remember in Alien: Ressurection when they escaped from their cell by killing their friend and burning a hole with his acid blood.

Ventrue

The problem with people saying that
necro Nicole was a hallucination
is that it would be difficult to convey this to the audience at the beginning of the second game. It would have to be really forced
"Oh, and after I killed the Hive Mind, I had a hallucination of Nicole."

Atrus

Gold Member
Ventrue said:
is that it would be difficult to convey this to the audience at the beginning of the second game. It would have to be really forced

The way they set it up it's unlikely that Isaac will return as the player character. Not only is Isaac either insane or killed, the shuttle has no shock drive (intentionally ejected in the Dead Space movie I think) and he's lost in a sealed off star system. The central plot point isn't about Isaac but the marker and the Necromorphs, and so we'll likely star as a new character with their own plot motivations in the middle of another Necro outbreak.
A space station seems like the next best scenario.

McLovin

Marconelly said:
Try deactivating your account on the console and activating it again (using options on the Account management panel)

I'm almost willing to be this will help, I had similar weird problem when I was backing up data on one PS3 and restoring it on another. After installing 2.5 system update and restoring data, it all seemed fine, but trophies wouldn't sync and PSN games wouldn't start. Deactivating and activating again fixed it all up.
That didn't work for me :(

Oh sh... I'm at chapter 10.
I just died trying to escape that monster. My god, it's so scary :lol
You even have to blockade your own escape route...That's simply too much terror.

Ventrue said:

Who says you killed it at the end???

Muffdraul

bigdaddygamebot said:
Who says you killed it at the end???

Obviously anything's possible, but, ah... when what amounts to essentially a continent falls on top of a creature, it's pretty safe to assume that thing did not survive. My bet is that DS2 will have to do with another hive mind. A back-up experiment or summat.

Top Bottom