• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Atrus said:
Another trick is to whittle the health of all the eyes down to near nothing first before killing them off. It means having to shoot the last two only once.

Yup. Figured that shit out as each one takes about six hits. :)

Atrus said:
Just use the line cutter's mines. On my impossible run I just fired blindly inside there and they did the trick. Far more effective than the Plasma Cutter at any rate.

Seriously?
I didn't think the secondary fire of the line cutter had the range to hit the egg sacs. Are we talking about the same thing? The egg sacs that are hanging in it's chest AFTER you shout out it's five eyes? Man...if so, awesome. I was thinking that the mines would make quick work of the egg sacs but figured I didn't have the range for it.

Rolf NB

Just chiming in to say FUCK AMAZING!!1

Got my copy yesterday. Thank you for prompt delivery, play.com, a mere sixteen days after you sent me the "your order has been posted" blurb. A job well done!

Played far too much, far too long into the night. Close to wrapping up chapter 5 I think.
The sound design is beyond fantastic. And not just the obvious big bangs, but all those soundscapes of machinery working, hull creaking, feet shuffling, noises where you can't really tell whether it's orchestral percussion or just something slamming against a wall. WOW at the whispers in the toilet. It's so effective. It essentially takes everything that Doom 3 got right (which shall for now purely be a comment about Doom 3's sound) and then does it three times as well. I'm in awe.

I also like the implications of all this limb business on the gameplay pace. Even though you can move while firing, having to shoot individual limbs forces you to slow down and take good aim. It's such an elegant way to fix the common Resident Evil complaint, while fully retaining the tension that survival horror needs.

Stasis is awesome.
Economy system is awesome.
Awesome game is awesome.
Thank you EA Redwood.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad you're enjoying 2008's "Surprise of the Year" bcn-ron :) It really is amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I need a little help with chapter 7. I'm
trying to plant the beacon on the asteroid but everytime I jump on it I get diced by the rotating things. Any tips?
Really, it's all about the timing. Start counting down how long it takes for it to start moving, if jumping at the right time, you'll be able to move to the asteroid without dying.

trying to plant the beacon on the asteroid but everytime I jump on it I get diced by the rotating things. Any tips?

look at the lower left portion of the asteroid. once you jump on the asteroid, start running outside of the ship. you'll have limited air supply, but enough to plant beacon and kill some necros. when you're almost out of air, walk back to the inside of the ship and then get back out quickly

Doc Evils

holy shiiit.

Just finished the game and the best way to describe is that it is the best sci-fi/ horror game this gen.

It's everything UE3 isn't. Amazingly detailed environments that are large and varied, environments that have colour in a realistic sense. not just grey and red blood. I found the story fantastic and loved every single bit of the way, I also found the level design fantastic and believable.

This game is why we have HD and why I'm soo glad I have a HD tv.

Chapter12:
The whole level is amazing, seeing the sun so bright is mind blowing and the end boss made me all giddy with how awesome it looked

If you haven't picked this up and love sci-fi/horror you better pick this up fool!

My unexpected game of the year. No way this game deserves anything lower than a 9.

I can't believe this is EA. :eek:

Iberian

I'm amazed by how good this game is. I mean, this thing is fantastic.

I didn't even expect something like this from EA.

Why?

Why?

EA shouldn't be allowed to produce such an awesome game!

shpankey

not an idiot

Great game. It wasn't on my radar, what with Gears, Fable 2 and all the other stellar titles this month, but this thread turned me around completely and I took the plunge. Graphics are at the top of their league and the gameplay is like an evolved Resident Evil 4. Only downer is the lack of variety in environments. Atmospherically it is spot on. Thank you Gaf.
you can use Stasis on the rotating things. get close to it, wait for them to rotate to the outside, right before they start to go back, use stasis on them, now they will move in slow motion. then jump on the ball, as close to the outside as possible, then run to the backside of the ball (they won't rotate back there).

p.s. EA has been on a role of late. they really seem to have turned things around. even their nba basketball game, which is traditionally shit, is great this year. the thing is, now they are doing good, they're losing money. but back when they were ruining games and series, they made money hand over fist. this is a screwed up world.

oh and i so agree, this game is fuck awesome! i haven't been so surprised and happy with a game that came out of nowhere in a long LONG time. if this game doesn't get game of the year i'm gonna be pissed. :D

shpankey said:
p.s. EA has been on a role of late. they really seem to have turned things around. even their nba basketball game, which is traditionally shit, is great this year. the thing is, now they are doing good, they're losing money. but back when they were ruining games and series, they made money hand over fist. this is a screwed up world.

One has nothing to do with the other...

It's only screwed up if you look at it in the exact way you described. I'd like to think that there's someone at EA that can see bigger picture.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game for me is the equivalent to what Bioshock was for me last year. Simply amazing.
I can't believe how polished and well crafted the little details are. The Hud/inventory system/health meter is just brilliant. The gameplay and controls feel solid as well.

This game gets my "Pleasant surprise of 2008" award! I'm also loving this new EA. Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, RAGE...enough said.

CAVE343

I'm on the fence here. I bought the PS3 version but I didn't start yet. Reading this thread it seems that the PC version is the definitive one. Should I trade the PS3 version in towards the PC version? (note I have a good pc and a 360 reciever thing).

shpankey

not an idiot
bad-joey said:
I'm on the fence here. I bought the PS3 version but I didn't start yet. Reading this thread it seems that the PC version is the definitive one. Should I trade the PS3 version in towards the PC version? (note I have a good pc and a 360 reciever thing).
no. the ps3 version is fine, trust me.

there are quite a few unhappy PC people on the dead space forums, might check for yourself...

Dead Space forums

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm talking my sweet time with this, mixing it with LBP for a good measure - Level 6 finished last night - the lighting on that thing when it's firing the fireballs is simply amazing. I loved all the levels so far, and visuals have been consistently impressive, every now and then they'll throw in something that really makes you stop and take a good look. The way the material shaders and lighting looks in this game reminds me of KZ2 actually, at least from what I've seen of it in videos. I've heard Dead Space uses deferred rendering as well, so maybe there's more similarity in the tech used.

My only complaint with the game is still, and it's becoming more apparent as the game goes on, that your character feels faceless and kinda lifeless - even the way he moves, after a while it starts feeling more like you're in control of a humanoid robot than actual human.

Yoshichan

bad-joey said:
Not really. PS3 version is incredible.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I think I have to restart on Medium. I got to the first quarantine room in Chapter 2 and I get massacred all day. I'm not tough enough for Hard mode :(

EDIT: I'm just going to man up an play it. Beat the room, moving forward. Liberal use of Stasis + Line gun = awesome.

bad-joey said:

If you have a good PC go for it. I'd almost always suggest getting the PC version of any game if you like gaming on the PC. Advanced visuals and perfect controller support if you wish.

Broseybrose

gregor7777 said:
If you have a good PC go for it. I'd almost always suggest getting the PC version of any game if you like gaming on the PC. Advanced visuals and perfect controller support if you wish.
concur.

Mindlog

bad-joey said:

As long as you have a PC setup you enjoy playing on I'd go that route. Just follow the advice previously posted (Set V-Sync with your driver control panel + control setup and whatnot.)

My PC sucks so I had to stick to console which was still a wonderful experience.

BIVIANO!

DeadSpace2008-11-0809-30-03-54.jpg

DeadSpace2008-11-0903-57-24-89.jpg

DeadSpace2008-11-0809-26-39-37.jpg

DeadSpace2008-11-0902-57-54-73.jpg

DeadSpace2008-11-0814-49-15-18.jpg

DeadSpace2008-11-0904-22-52-45.jpg

DeadSpace2008-11-0907-06-18-37.jpg

Enjoyed the game immensely. My GOTY so far having played FO3, FC2, F2.

Core407

Banned
szaromir said:
Should I buy this or GOW2 first?

Dead Space for sure. Its only like 10 hours long and theres no MP so you can move right over to GOW2 when done. You can replay the game on a higher difficulty though and your stats will carry over so it does shave some replayability to it.

szaromir

Banned
Core407 said:
Dead Space for sure. Its only like 10 hours long and theres no MP so you can move right over to GOW2 when done. You can replay the game on a higher difficulty though and your stats will carry over so it does shave some replayability to it.
That makes sense, I'll buy it first and then jump to Gears 2. The images in this thread are amazing, hopefully this game is as good as the screenshots.

atomico

Core407 said:

I haven't finished the game, but from what I've read, your stats do not carry over to other difficulty settings

Haunted

Fantastic title - would've been GOTY for sure if it weren't for Fallout 3.

PC version was such a grand experience. Flawlessly executed game.

Atrus said:
Just use the line cutter's mines. On my impossible run I just fired blindly inside there and they did the trick. Far more effective than the Plasma Cutter at any rate.

Another trick is to whittle the health of all the eyes down to near nothing first before killing them off. It means having to shoot the last two only once.

I fuckin' love you. That was SO easy. I just beat the game on Impossible. Now moving onto Impossibler.

atomico said:
I haven't finished the game, but from what I've read, your stats do not carry over to other difficulty settings
Yeah, everything I've read indicates that your stats and equipment do not carry over to a higher difficulty. However I'm told that whatever suit you finished your previous run through wearing will carry over to your new Impossible game, provided you start it immediately. Unfortunately, I'm also hearing that the suit carryover doesn't happen in the PAL version. Can anyone confirm?

endlessflood said:
Yeah, everything I've read indicates that your stats and equipment do not carry over to a higher difficulty. However I'm told that whatever suit you finished your previous run through wearing will carry over to your new Impossible game, provided you start it immediately.

Negative. No carry over to a HIGHER difficulty.

You start out a virgin when you move to Impossible BUT...having played through it once makes it somewhat less impossible.

...conserve your ammo and use one or two weapons at most.

Finished it on HARD for the 1st playthrough on PS3 a few days ago. Very good and I was stunned by just how long the game was, bravo!

Very much looking forward to a sequal.

I'd like to see the following:

* Some Zero G moments without the grav boots. You could have a small burst propulsion system where you could hold a direction with the left analog stick and hit L2 to glide in that direction while shooting at all the horrible things clawing at you from different directions.

* Make the Flamethrower NOT suck. Have it lay down a line of fire which creatures may not wish to cross.

* Have the Kinesis upgrades increase damage dealt with thrown objects instead of only affecting range. After so many upgrades, it could even gain the ability to pick up the small critters even if they haven't been damaged.

* Make the vacuum of space more dangerous. The game takes place in space, use it.
1. Put a recharge timer on Air Stations.
2. When oxygen quality is low on your suit, your vision blurs.
3. Have special areas that are only accessable to players with enhanced air supplies for thier Rig.
4. Have areas of the ship decompress more often.

* A 180 turn. Could even be simular Resident Evil 4. Tap L2 while holding Back to spin around or hold R2 to continue moving backwards swiftly.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Negative. No carry over to a HIGHER difficulty.

You start out a virgin when you move to Impossible BUT...having played through it once makes it somewhat less impossible.

...conserve your ammo and use one or two weapons at most.
That's weird, I've heard multiple people claim that while your stats and inventory are gone, if you start an Impossible game immediately after completing the game (without turning off your console) it is possible to start Impossible with whatever suit you finished your last game wearing. It has even been reported in this thread.

Core407

Banned
Mammothtank said:
Finished it on HARD for the 1st playthrough on PS3 a few days ago. Very good and I was stunned by just how long the game was, bravo!

Very much looking forward to a sequal.

I'd like to see the following:

* Some Zero G moments without the grav boots. You could have a small burst propulsion system where you could hold a direction with the left analog stick and hit L2 to glide in that direction while shooting at all the horrible things clawing at you from different directions.

* Make the Flamethrower NOT suck. Have it lay down a line of fire which creatures may not wish to cross.

* Have the Kinesis upgrades increase damage dealt with thrown objects instead of only affecting range. After so many upgrades, it could even gain the ability to pick up the small critters even if they haven't been damaged.

* Make the vacuum of space more dangerous. The game takes place in space, use it.
1. Put a recharge timer on Air Stations.
2. When oxygen quality is low on your suit, your vision blurs.
3. Have special areas that are only accessable to players with enhanced air supplies for thier Rig.
4. Have areas of the ship decompress more often.

* A 180 turn. Could even be simular Resident Evil 4. Tap L2 while holding Back to spin around or hold R2 to continue moving backwards swiftly.

I love the vacuum and 180 turn ideas. Definitely felt the same about the vacuum - felt way too easy to manage through. I actually kept trying to do the 180 turn too because I figured it would have been in there. Seems like a kind of weird oversight but it doesn't really affect the game so no biggie.

Mammothtank said:
Definately, or if not that just more mobility options. The fact that your only options as far as that go are to walk normally or 'run' is crazy. Obviously Issac can't roll, but a sidestep or dodge move would be great.

Core407

Banned
HallwayGiant said:
Definately, or if not that just more mobility options. The fact that your only options as far as that go are to walk normally or 'run' is crazy. Obviously Issac can't roll, but a sidestep or dodge move would be great.

Wait, you can run? How do you run? :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mammothtank said:

Isn't that what the secondary fire does? Besides, I think flamethrower is awesome weapon when upgraded a bit.

What I'd really like to be fixed is the stasis collision detection. For some reasons, it seems to go through the target sometimes. I HATE that.

Core407

Banned
Ryder said:
face -> palm

Nooo, I kid :) Hold down L2 brother! Edit: assuming you're on PS3 that is :eek:

I'm on Chapter 8 still (haven't played in a couple weeks) and made it without running. I'm playing it on hard so that gets my cred back up, right? :lol I plan on finishing it after the KZ beta ends.

TTP said:
Isn't that what the secondary fire does? Besides, I think flamethrower is awesome weapon when upgraded a bit.

What I'd really like to be fixed is the stasis collision detection. For some reasons, it seems to go through the target sometimes. I HATE that.

I played on hard for my first playthrough so maybe it's better on Normal difficulty, but the way the flamethrower seemed to work was the initial primary fire hit would ignite the enemy and cause them to recoil for a sec. However once they recover, they charge and ignore continual fire bursts and hit you. Once ignited, they suffer a damage over time effect, but the damage is "1" which I assume is every .5 seconds or full second and upgrades add .5 damage per Node. In comparison, the Plasma Rifle says it does "5" damage per shot. The Plasma Rifle also has 100% effective stopping power.

The secondary fire on the flamethrower appears to be a controlled burn for a small area, but again, once the enemy has recoiled in pain for a second, they ignore the flames and stab your ass. For the ammount of ammo the flamethrower chews through to deal continous damage, there's no reason not to pick it over the Plasma Rifle or Ripper for crowd-control. Hell I had to burn the smallest critters in the game (The crawlers that erupt from the bloated guys) for about 7-10 seconds to kill one compared to one-shotting with any other weapon in the game.

Top Bottom