• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Morts

Just finished my fourth playthrough, my first on Impossible. I'm definitely getting my money's worth with this game. Now I'm only two trophies away from my first Platinum. If only I could figure out how to not suck at the
ADS cannons.

Hopefully EA already got started on the sequel.

Ventrue said:
The problem with people saying that
necro Nicole was a hallucination
is that it would be difficult to convey this to the audience at the beginning of the second game. It would have to be really forced
"Oh, and after I killed the Hive Mind, I had a hallucination of Nicole."

there's always ways to said that. just make the
opening of the next game the exact same sequence as the ending and near the end when necro nicole attack, have Isaac suddenly wake up from a nightmare.
classic horror movie storytelling.

Atrus said:
The way they set it up it's unlikely that Isaac will return as the player character. Not only is Isaac either insane or killed, the shuttle has no shock drive (intentionally ejected in the Dead Space movie I think) and he's lost in a sealed off star system. The central plot point isn't about Isaac but the marker and the Necromorphs, and so we'll likely star as a new character with their own plot motivations in the middle of another Necro outbreak.
A space station seems like the next best scenario.
With respect to the ending,
Isaac retrieved the singularity from the USN Valor so that the shuttle could high tail it home. That's how Kendra was going to use it to flee the system. I guess the question is whether the shuttle was damaged enough by the debris at the end to prevent it from making a jump.

Callibretto said:
there's always ways to said that. just make the
opening of the next game the exact same sequence as the ending and near the end when necro nicole attack, have Isaac suddenly wake up from a nightmare.
classic horror movie storytelling.
QFT. As soon as I saw the ending that was my initial thought for the next game as well.

In terms of thoughts for the next game, I have a couple.
Maybe the original black marker is keeping the virus dormant on Earth. If the government or Unitologists remove it, then the necromorphs could be unleashed. Also Isaac's father seems to have an unusual history, and there is the question of why Isaac was chosen for the mission. Hammond's request for background info on Isaac and Kendra seems to indicate that they were both lumped on him. It wouldn't be remarkable, except for the hints about Isaac's father. Maybe there is nothing there and Isaac simply went because he volunteered, but I'm a little curious.

_Angelus_

Banned
~~~ahem~~~ Bump. Play on hard or normal folks?

I got the game from GameFly tonight. Sorta disoriented with the close playing perspective but still good creepy fun right now. I noticed the game is sorta easy on normal,I'm piling up the health and ammo packs. Is this how normal setting is through most the game,should I jack this game up to hard? Or is normal just about right? In other words - if there are any fustrating bosses that are a total bitch on the hard setting then please warn me now. I wanna enjoy the game,not break a controller over it.:b

Game looks gorgeous so far,love the lighting,the in game hub is really slick. I am getting a crazy Metroid Prime vibe with the game,nice.

Angelus said:
I noticed the game is sorta easy on normal,I'm piling up the health and ammo packs. Is this how normal setting is through most the game,should I jack this game up to hard? Or is normal just about right? In other words - if there are any fustrating bosses that are a total bitch on the hard setting then please warn me now. I wanna enjoy the game,not break a controller over it.
I went with Hard and was never stuck anywhere. There was one room quite early on (Chapter 2 I think?) that I struggled on a bit. And I had to buy ammo on 3 separate occasions during the game (which I had sworn I would never do). But I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play on Hard the first time, it's not really that hard.

_Angelus_

Banned
endlessflood said:
I went with Hard and was never stuck anywhere. There was one room quite early on (Chapter 2 I think?) that I struggled on a bit. And I had to buy ammo on 3 separate occasions during the game (which I had sworn I would never do). But I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play on Hard the first time, it's not really that hard.

Sounds like hard is a good setting to play then. There have been some games where I regretted so damn dearly playing them on hard and because of that I always try to becareful about difficulty settings now. I don't mind any tough challenge really,its the end of the game bosses that can break a game because you chose a tough as hell setting that just spoils it sometimes. I just wanted to be sure this game doesn't go ape shit difficult before committing to it is all.

Thanks for the advise.

Angelus said:
I don't mind any tough challenge really,its the end of the game bosses that can break a game because you chose a tough as hell setting that just spoils it sometimes.
Yeah the bosses are definitely doable on Hard, you will need a few goes at them to learn their attack patterns, weak spots, etc. but they're not too difficult. They're also awesome :D

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Core407 said:
YES! Like I told a friend, it feels like a mix of Metroid Prime, RE4 & Doom 3.
I've been feeling the Metroid-ey ness too! From the general layout, the interface, the sense of isolation... Also I fucking love the little warbly sound when you rotate the map.

I'm truly plodding through this game, but turning every corner is a thrill. I just bought a new suit for the first time, and I love the little sequence :D Pleasantly surprised that node upgrades carry over too.

BeeDog

Two more trophies to get, finish the game on Impossible (yikes!) and upgrade every weapon (double yikes!). This game rocks, probably the biggest surprise for me this generation.

endlessflood said:
In terms of thoughts for the next game, I have a couple.
Maybe the original black marker is keeping the virus dormant on Earth. If the government or Unitologists remove it, then the necromorphs could be unleashed. Also Isaac's father seems to have an unusual history, and there is the question of why Isaac was chosen for the mission. Hammond's request for background info on Isaac and Kendra seems to indicate that they were both lumped on him. It wouldn't be remarkable, except for the hints about Isaac's father. Maybe there is nothing there and Isaac simply went because he volunteered, but I'm a little curious.

didn't the backlog specifically said that the necros are created by the government? I don't think it's dormant on earth. also, I think where ever they find the black marker on earth, they must have transport it somewhere for research purposes. you don't build an entire research facility around the marker unless the marker is really really big (like Transformer's the cube)

reading Isaac's past, I'm also intrigued by his parents story. his father went missing, and I presume, his mother is hardcore Unitologist. it's little stuff like this that kinda make me regret that Isaac is a silent protagonist. I really want to know what he think of Unitologist.

anyway, those detailed background info for Isaac is what give me small hope that he will return as main character in the sequel. I hope they don't spend so much time developing Isaac's background just to switch main character.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Who says you killed it at the end???

The achievement you get for it does.

Either way, a sequel seems not to have been intended for Dead Space and I don't really think it would do much good anyway. Its core qualities depend on the spaceship setting, and so does the re-use of assets during the game.

The things that have been suggested in this thread would take years to actually complete if the setting was changed dramatically.

I guess a campaign based on stopped a fleet of mauseleum ships from reaching earth would be a likely candidate though.

Also: does the shuttle actually have the marker on board at the end?
Because that way it could reach them without further use for Isaac. I mean, his story is done, there is little else to do with him as a protagonist.

Rolf NB

New dislike:
*Map in the bridge section. Why can't I pan the map? It's never a problem elsewhere, but in the bridge section (
the one with the asteroid cannon stuff etc
) it sure is. It's not even centered on my location. I don't see shit.

Most recent observations:
*Kill-roomisms in chapters 9 and 10. Holy hell. I'm ripping through ammo as if it was popcorn, especially when encountering those swarms of little things. I've only just made it a habit to not advance with less than 40 shots, but I guess I'll make that 80 from now on.

Overall:
FUCK AMAZING!!1 (still)

GameGamer

bcn-ron said:
New dislike:
*Map in the bridge section. Why can't I pan the map? It's never a problem elsewhere, but in the bridge section (

*Kill-roomisms in chapters 9 and 10. Holy hell. I'm ripping through ammo as if it was popcorn, especially when encountering those swarms of little things. I've only just made it a habit to not advance with less than 40 shots, but I guess I'll make that 80 from now on.

Overall:
FUCK AMAZING!!1 (still)

Remember, you can cut off an arm for example and shoot it at an enemy. Also any fire extinguishers, etc. There a a few improvised weaps they scatter around.

Rolf NB

GameGamer said:
Remember, you can cut off an arm for example and shoot it at an enemy. Also any fire extinguishers, etc. There a a few improvised weaps they scatter around.
In earlier chapters, I've noticed that there usually was one of those red explosive bottle things nearby whenever I'd face a swarm, but that seems to have completely stopped now. I've had no luck killing anything with fire extinguishers, much less chairs. I've actually tried that while being stuck without ammo in a barricaded room together with one of those kamikaze guys. Nothing worked. There's just no punch behind my kinesis shots. Fully upgraded btw. I could only resolve that situation by letting him hit me (and kill himself in the process).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marconelly said:
My only complaint with the game is still, and it's becoming more apparent as the game goes on, that your character feels faceless and kinda lifeless - even the way he moves, after a while it starts feeling more like you're in control of a humanoid robot than actual human.
Well, my initial impression(made it to start of 2nd chapter or so) of the game is Doom3 in 3rd person, but with actually interesting level designs and pretty visuals (not just technically). The player character without face or personality was just one of the things that added to that impression.
That said, I'm quite enjoying the game so far, just that with LBP taking majority of game-time now, it'll take me a long time to finish.

Rolf NB

bcn-ron said:
New dislike:

Overall:
FUCK AMAZING!!1 (still)
Ha! Figured it out!
Pro-tip (and note to self): if you see uncle fat sacks, lob off the arms and only the arms. He'll go down once both are off.
The swarm only comes out if you shoot off the legs (or do to much damage to the torso presumably).

Dear god this game is great. Just started a New game plus from my first save. I bought the level 6 six military suit and i hate it. Is there anyway to go back to level 5. Please dont tell me i have to start a FRESH new game do i?

Wait is it a NEW new game or a NEW new game plus? Cause tht would really suck if i had to start all the way over from scratch, espically since i just beat the game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
DieNgamers said:
I have seen nearly all of them...multiple times :lol I think it wasn't an easy game by any means (playing on hard).
Right now
I'm facing the final boss...gigantic! I had to stop to make screenshots and died :D . Next try!

oh yeah I should've added 'on normal'. When I replay the game it'll be on insane, I'm sure it'll be quite the jump

Rolf NB

New game plus = win for humanity
No graduating difficulty levels on a new game plus = grand failure
Highest difficulty only available after playing through once, combined with the above = frozen puke on a stick

I've beaten the game on hard, using only one gun to boot. Why am I not allowed to move on to impossible with my stuff intact?
"Because it would be too easy"? Replaying on hard would surely be easier than replaying on impossible. I really don't understand why this couldn't be allowed.
XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Wait is it a NEW new game or a NEW new game plus? Cause tht would really suck if i had to start all the way over from scratch, espically since i just beat the game.
New new game plus. Load your clear file again. In case you've saved over it, you should probably slap yourself (with a sack of bricks).

Bildi

bcn-ron said:
Ha! Figured it out!
Pro-tip (and note to self): if you see uncle fat sacks, lob off the arms and only the arms. He'll go down once both are off.
The swarm only comes out if you shoot off the legs (or do to much damage to the torso presumably).

If you shoot off their legs they won't burst. I often use stasis to make sure I hit their leg rather than their torso since their legs are so small. Once they're down, lop off an arm and they're done.

Mdk7

Since i was afraid of spoilers i've always avoided the thread, so i don't really know the consensus in here...
But i've just finished the game, WOW.

i really loved it, everything felt so spot on and moody, what an amazing experience.
I loved the storytelling too, great job EA!!!

Beat it a couple hours ago. Honestly, it really is up in the air whether I enjoyed this more than Resident Evil 4. I was way more engulfed in this game, but I loved the atmosphere and variety of RE4.

They both are incredible though.

Zeitgeister said:
The achievement you get for it does.

Either way, a sequel seems not to have been intended for Dead Space and I don't really think it would do much good anyway. Its core qualities depend on the spaceship setting, and so does the re-use of assets during the game.

The things that have been suggested in this thread would take years to actually complete if the setting was changed dramatically.

I guess a campaign based on stopped a fleet of mauseleum ships from reaching earth would be a likely candidate though.

Also: does the shuttle actually have the marker on board at the end?
Because that way it could reach them without further use for Isaac. I mean, his story is done, there is little else to do with him as a protagonist.

if EA is smart, they will let the dev to have the time to make a proper sequel and not an annual release with just a new spaceship setting.

when you beat the game, you get a nice long background info on Isaac, including about his parents. his father is missing and his mother is hardcore unitologist that spend most of her family fortune on it. there's certainly rooms to expand for Isaac's story.

the marker is left on Aegis 7 when the meteor dropped I think. it's a fake one anyway. the next one will probably revolve around the real marker.

djkimothy

Has anyone finished it yet? I'm about to start this run to get that trophy.

What weapons did you focus on? I'm thinking of sticking with the cutter and contact gun. Should I focus a lot of the nodes on my rig?

Any tips?

Morts

djkimothy said:
Has anyone finished it yet? I'm about to start this run to get that trophy.

What weapons did you focus on? I'm thinking of sticking with the cutter and contact gun. Should I focus a lot of the nodes on my rig?

Any tips?

I did cutter, line gun, and force gun. Maxed out my rig and almost maxed out the cutter, with a few damage and capacity upgrades to the other two (upgrade capacity when the weapon is empty). Force gun is awesome for "get the hell off me" situations, then hitting them with a grenade while they're down.

atomico

so I'm down to chapter 10, on my first playthrough (normal), loved every minute of it. can't wait for Impossible :D

kinda regret paying for the suit upgrades, instead of using the obsidian suit from the get go. I should've spent that money on power nodes and get the "maxed out" trophy out of the way.

Anybody know if by equipping a weapon (without firing it; just so I can upgrade it at a bench) would count against getting the "single weapon" trophy? (don't remember the name, the one that only lets you use the plasma cutter)

also, what chapter was
the asteroid turret mini-game
in? missed that trophy too, i need to dig through my old saved games :lol

djkimothy

atomico said:
so I'm down to chapter 10, on my first playthrough (normal), loved every minute of it. can't wait for Impossible :D

kinda regret paying for the suit upgrades, instead of using the obsidian suit from the get go. I should've spent that money on power nodes and get the "maxed out" trophy out of the way.

Anybody know if by equipping a weapon (without firing it; just so I can upgrade it at a bench) would count against getting the "single weapon" trophy? (don't remember the name, the one that only lets you use the plasma cutter)

also, what chapter was
the asteroid turret mini-game
in? missed that trophy too, i need to dig through my old saved games :lol

I heard that even equipping a different weapon will cancel your Single weapon trophy. Dunno if it's true but I'm not taking any chances, on my game+ file I just sold all my weapons minus the cutter.

For your third question, it was in chapter 4, you probably don't remember it, but you couldn't have missed it either. That trophy was a bitch on normal. It's just luck basically, depending on how the asteroids spawn.

Don't bother with the obsidian suit, you'll know what I mean when you finish the game. ;)

atomico

djkimothy said:
For your third question, it was in chapter 4, you probably don't remember it, but you couldn't have missed it either. That trophy was a bitch on normal. It's just luck basically, depending on how the asteroids spawn.

:lol yeah, I know I played it, just meant I didn't get the trophy. barely managed to make it through (after 2 or 3 tries)

it was near the end of the chapter, IIRC, so it shouldn't be to hard to find

thanks, btw

djkimothy said:
Don't bother with the obsidian suit, you'll know what I mean when you finish the game. ;)

think I've seen it already. this thread is full of spoilers, alright :p

djkimothy

atomico said:
think I've seen it already. this thread is full of spoilers, alright :p

Actually, come to think of it. I may be wrong. The obsidian suit may come in handy when making for the impossible run. So I stand corrected.

Just might make the run a bit easier.

BeeDog

I only have the "Finish the game on Impossible" trophy left, and before I tackle it, I'd like to know some stuff:

1) Do the enemies spawn differently from Normal?
2) Is it the case of "lose more health from each attack", "enemies take more shots to kill" or both?
3) The ammo drop frequency for let's say the Plasma Cutter, is it the same or much lower?
4) Any particular weapon that works well on Impossible?
5) Any other stuff I should know beforehand?

Thanks in advance. :D This game is ze shit.

I just finished the game on normal with all achievements that are possible on the first run using only the plasma cutter. Despite a few annoyances (no quick turn, repeating environments, unengaging story, block puzzles, "Nemesis"), I really enjoyed myself and look forward to using (and maxing out) the other weapons during my second playthrough as well as an impossible run.

Regarding the ending -
I was extremely underwhelmed that the big "reveal" was Isaac's face (I didn't really care about him so why would I care what he looks like?) and the last scene was just plain amateur hour.
However, the story wasn't what drove me through the game, so I can live with it. I loved the setting, but the last level in particular very impressive (loved the color palette!) so I hope the sequel mixes things up a bit more with interior and exterior settings.

As someone else asked, what are some tips for the impossible run?

What's the best way to approach the multiple runs for this game? I finished it on Hard and I'm trying to decide which way to approach it for my next runs. Should I try to max out all weapons next? Or should I go Plasma Cutter only, and then try to max out everything on my third run through? If I go with the latter, it means that by the time I tackle Impossible, I'll be on my fourth run through! On the bright side, I'll know exactly what to expect at every turn :D

Bildi

How about doing your second run with plasma cutter only, and at the same time maxing out all your weapons. Just because you're maxing them out doesn't mean you have to use them. That way they'll be maxed out by the time you finish your second run or soon after.

You can probably get the remainder of your 30 kill-per-weapon achievements when you're doing the impossible run.

You might as well get the 30 melee kill achievement while you're doing your second plasma-cutter only run. The second run is also a good time to go for the "get grabbed by a lurker 10 times" achievement.

Bildi said:
How about doing your second run with plasma cutter only, and at the same time maxing out all your weapons. Just because you're maxing them out doesn't mean you have to use them. That way they'll be maxed out by the time you finish your second run or soon after.

You can probably get the remainder of your 30 kill-per-weapon achievements when you're doing the impossible run.

You might as well get the 30 melee kill achievement while you're doing your second plasma-cutter only run. The second run is also a good time to go for the "get grabbed by a lurker 10 times" achievement.
Thanks for the tips Bildi, I think that's probably how I'll approach it.

Top Bottom